Sneak-Sleep: TA station agent caught asleep at "F" line 18th Avenue station in Brooklyn

Shortline Bus

For late nights when there's little to no activity, are employees allowed to bring something with them like a newspaper or portable radio? I mean they should have something to keep them awake. It's just natural to just doze off if there's nothing to do out of boredom.

they should have them sweep up a little bit in between the times the cleaner comes through the station that way they can stay awake by moving around and the stations will stay clean.

Coffee, stand up, pace like I got something to do...just a few of the things I do on a job to prevent myself from falling asleep on the job. I don't care what anyone thinks. There's no reason to sleep on the clock. Incidents like these are the reason why its a firing offense in the first place. Poor guy if he loses his job but I seriously doubt this sort of thing isn't covered in orientation already.

For late nights when there's little to no activity, are employees allowed to bring something with them like a newspaper or portable radio? I mean they should have something to keep them awake. It's just natural to just doze off if there's nothing to do out of boredom.

And no to all the above questions. We are not allowed to read any material,except for the MTA rule book or TA printed material. We are literally trapped in that fish tank for 8 hours. And can only come out to use the bathroom when given permission, and when we get our 30 minute lunch. Some supervisors will give you grief if your listening to music on the radio. But ever since 9/11 we're allowed to listen to the news, since some S/A's lost their lives because they were ill-informed during the mayhem.

they should have them sweep up a little bit in between the times the cleaner comes through the station that way they can stay awake by moving around and the stations will stay clean.

That will never happen. TA is too concerned about their precious money. If you were to get robbed or killed that would be a PR nightmare for them. The stations would stay clean in between the times the cleaner comes if they stopped being pigs.

I thought no TA employees died during 9/11?

The agent at the courtlandt street station on the 1 line was not properly informed of the events going on above her and was trapped to her doom when the towers fell. I was told this in 2006 when I was hired. So that was the major reason we're allowed to listen to news radio. And now all our radio scanners have am/fm radios built in now as well.

The agent at the courtlandt street station on the 1 line was not properly informed of the events going on above her and was trapped to her doom when the towers fell. I was told this in 2006 when I was hired. So that was the major reason we're allowed to listen to news radio. And now all our radio scanners have am/fm radios built in now as well.

Wow, that's crazy as people for years have been saying "thank god no TA workers were killed that day" when it turns out, at least one transit worker passed away in the attack. I remember watching Transit Transit in the months after this happened and there was no mention of this woman.

Well I'm just going by what I was told. I mean lots of things were not talked about during that time. Lots of TA workers helped at ground zero yet never got any recognition for it. But I'm sure TA wouldn't want a story like that to come out cause it would make them look more incompetent then they already are.

And no to all the above questions. We are not allowed to read any material,except for the MTA rule book or TA printed material. We are literally trapped in that fish tank for 8 hours. And can only come out to use the bathroom when given permission, and when we get our 30 minute lunch. Some supervisors will give you grief if your listening to music on the radio. But ever since 9/11 we're allowed to listen to the news, since some S/A's lost their lives because they were ill-informed during the mayhem.

Thanks again for the info, did not know of that.

Bro there has to be ways to prevent these agents from falling asleep during overnight hours. As long as the radio is low, or they reading a newspaper and not playboy;) I much rather that.

Who is Hudson River:eek:? Anyhow this was a news story and thus reason I posted it. This agent is not the first and probably not the last to get 'snitched' on by the media. This also goes into the bigger question in this fiscal crisis does the (MTA) really need station agents 24/7 at all 400-plus stations.

Just in case you forgot,you're Hudson River!

Archived