Create your own fantasy subway car!

Broadway Local

This is the thread where you post your fantasy subway car! Here's mine:

My subway fantasy car: R233/R235/R236

In common:

• Front like the R160s, but with LED route on middle-right, its destination sign on top, and flag on top of the LED route.
  • Doors Slanted
  • Announcements
  • Strip-maps
  • R143/R160 Exterior
  • 5 car married pairs
  • B Division (For BMT and IND lines)

Differences:

• R233 has the R110A Propulsion
  • R235 has Bombardier MITRAC propulsion system,
    3-Phase AC Traction Motors Model 1508C
  • R236 has Mitsubishi Electric AC Traction Motors and IGBT inverters
  • R233/R235 has seats like the R110As
  • R236 has seats like the R160s

Depots:

- R233: Jamaica Yard, East New York Yard, Coney Island Yard

- R235: Concourse Yard, Coney Island Yard

- R236: Coney Island Yard

Lines Served:

- R233: (E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(Q)(Z)

- R235: (D)(:)(N)(Q)(S)- Franklin Av

- R236: (D)(N)

I created two series of Railcars

Alstom/Chicago Belt Built R200's and R205's which are 60 foot cars resembling a mash-up between a Chicago 5000 from 1947 and R160. Three doors per side, has reversible 2x2 seating on one side and longitudinal seating on the other with poles and grab bars. They'd run in married pairs. The main difference with the R200 and the 205,

The other one is the Kawasaki R210s which was a NTT resembling a hi-tech R33WF train. I forgot alot about that one.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this before lol. But f**k it I'll contribute...

-The body of an Redbird (but nor the color), with digital front signs on the bulkheads that resemble the original ones

-The technological aspects of an R160 (FINDs, cameras, the works)

-Siemens propulsion

-compatible with all NTT trains R142 onwards

-60' long (and 51' long for A-Division)

-5 car sets

-A cars will have 2x2 seating and B cars will be regular sideways seats

-Replaces everything built before the 1988 (the R68s will be spared)

-There will be a blue stripe on the side

Name: R2K (A Division) R3K (B Division)

Built by: Kawasaki, Alstom, Bombardier

Price: Enough to give you a heart attack twice lol

• 1 month later...

My fantasy car is the R203, and it would serve the SIR, (L), (F) and (T) lines. It would have FIND, cameras, and would be much more colourful than it's predecessors. It would be painted the same colour as it's respective line, for example the (T) would be teal and the (F) would be orange. It's front would be similar to the R160's, but not exactly the same. It would have 2x2 seating, and be 75 in long. Finally, this car would have 5 doors to serve higher density lines.

R5 Has

The Redbird Scheme and Traction Motors

Has The LED Route Display in the front and A Back up Rollsign beside. it has 4 Side Rollsigns A Redbird Style And A R40/68 sign style.

Has jovial horns, can go a top speed of 70 MPH.

Has The R15 circle windows, R17 Door and the other back door is A R40 door.

The Body layout is the front shape is a R26-36 and the back is a R40S. They are ABABAB-ABABAB They have been shortened to about the size of a 10 car set.

Bombardier R144/R145/R146

Same LED signs as the R142 but R110A Propulsion. a mixed look of the R110A and R142. has a blue stripe going across the side and the fron painted in Bi-centennial livery.

• 1 year later...

My fantasy car which I would rather build myself would be an R195 for the A Division:

With Alstom propulsion

The Alstom R142 wheel trucks

Vapor motor doors used on the R160A

LED side signs inside and out that blink when switching words like the R142 signs

RGB front, rear, and inner signs

FINDs that blink when switching the station list instead of strip maps

I would like this train to replace all the R62s and R62As and end up running on the (1)(3)(6) and (S) on 42nd Street (Westchester Yard better take good care of these trains

My fantasy car which I would rather build myself would be an R195 for the A Division:

With Alstom propulsion

The Alstom R142 wheel trucks

Vapor motor doors used on the R160A

LED side signs inside and out that blink when switching words like the R142 signs

RGB front, rear, and inner signs

FINDs that blink when switching the station list instead of strip maps

I would like this train to replace all the R62s and R62As and end up running on the (1)(3)(6) and (S) on 42nd Street (Westchester Yard better take good care of these trains

No!! Not my R62As!

The R787 joint built with Kawasaki and Boeing. This train will be two versions: IRT and BMT/IND

The IRT verison of R787 is built like the R142 but rounded sides (similar to the PA5), traction motor built by GE. Muilt-colored LED side destination sign ( Where the number of the line is shown).

The BMT/IND version built like the original R32 with upgraded features. Siemens traction motor similar on the R160B. Also Mulit-colored LED side destination signs (Where the letter of the line is shown).

Interior similiar to the R160 and beyond, LED Lighting technology from the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Digital advertisements, enhanced noise reduction, and stand handles like the redbirds but plastic.

Lighting, computer and software technology provided by Boeing and Kawasaki is the car builder . First test train build at Everett, Washington on a possible defunct aircraft assembly building, production cars assemble at Yonkers.

BMT/IND: Option 1 choice: 4 cars set with 2 married pair cars., Option 2 Choice: Regular Order- 4 car set and 5 car set, IRT regular 5 car set.

That's my fantasy subway car, comment as you see fit (Linoel from PIX 11 News)

Ive thought about this one for a long time, the R47.

Its a hybrid of an R46 and a PA-4, its 45 feet long, and can be found in 2-car sets or singles. Its part of my fictional railway, using some of those and newer cars (The R172's, nicknamed the Naspuds). Railway would take place on the West side of Staten island, but im not going into detail since I know alot of people would argue with this...

Anyways, the R47's (technical name TC-03s) were made in years 1962, 1968-1969, 1971, 1985-1986, 1991 and 2004. The newest units, the 2004 units, Have the same propulsion as the HBLR light rail cars. The rest are a mix of WH, GE, silent (the ones the PA-4s had), and a whirring sound (propulsion unknown). 

The R172's (technical name TC-05's) started production in 2009, and have similar propulsion to the R110A's. A few have alstom, only 4 cars retain their original propulsion.

No!! Not my R62As!

Oh no trust me I adore the R62As, they are amazing but the lines they operate on , deserve better which are the (1), going to the (6) and 42nd Street (S) but by like 2025, they are gonna be breaking down a lot and the A Division doesn't really have good cars like the B Division, so I would love to revolutionize the A Division and make it get the spotlight for once

• 2 weeks later...

This is mine: the R243. Each car is 75'2" long  end-to-end and 76' over the couplers. The exterior is modeled on that of a high-speed trainset I was working on earlier in the year (which in turn was modeled on the Acela express), hence the smaller twin windows between doors, the relocation of the side destination signs, and the color scheme of the cars. The interior is done primarily in mahogany and bamboo, with a central strip of recessed lighting complementing the standard R160-style lighting running down either side of the ceiling. Seating is bench-style, but includes forward-facing seats much like the R110A did; A cars seat 72-78 while B cars seat 76-82. A cars are equipped with full-width cabs as well as RGB LED route and destination signs on the front; the color of the signs reflect the color assigned to the train's current route. All cars have two LED destination signs on each side; the route is displayed in its assigned color while the rest of the sign displays amber.

The R243 uses Siemens SITRAC propulsion (identical to that used on the Siemens R160Bs, only putting out 130kW per axle rather than 115-120), and cars are governed to 75mph rather than 55mph; they're designed to be capable of hitting up to 75-80mph fully loaded when supplied with 600V DC with no ill effects, and could in theory be pushed above 90mph if placed on a long enough straightaway and supplied with 650-700V DC. They have onboard CBTC, grab bars and other features designed to bring them into FRA compliance, and provisions for interfacing with ACSES and MNRR cab signaling (although it is unlikely these provisions will ever be put to use).

Here are some pics:

R243FrontEnd_zps6d35c8a5.jpg

R243Exterior_zps666e6d97.jpg

R243Interior_zps563ffb94.jpg

R243Cab_zps3b2797b9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Like the sleek look of the FIND system! How secure is its mounting? How is it attached between the ceiling and the wall of the inside of the R160 cars? Is it suspended from the ceiling, mounted on the wall, or might it be actually mounted right in the juncture of the ceiling and sidewall? Does anybody know where i could see a schematic?

the train will be retro look of R42 70 era. The bullet area is where the LED will be with color light that correspond the route. There will be the train number and it final destination also next stoop as well.  The engine will  siemen propulsion but with extra muffler and same to hvacs. I also think the wheel should add rubber into to make it more quietly while pounding the rails. 

The interior seating will be the R46 style but no bucket seat. Also add cushion like the R-1 . The Finds and side display as normal NTT. I would put a red arrow on each end to let passenger know which side will open. I would put citrus orange ball inside the vents so we all can breathe easier. the side destination sign should be two line with color correspond to route both outside and inside like the old R46 side sign. I want to add a special feature where it will be turn off while train hitting the next station. No more of those blinking sign. I would add more medley sound while doors closing. Also i would add Big Ben to strike the hour. 

All ads will be in motion picture no more those paper ads that they still have. All cars should be articualted up to 2 to 5 cars total.  The wall be in bright blue to make it like we are on the beach. 

• 2 years later...

A nice fantasy subway car would be a train with an R160 face

-This train would of course be a 60 footer(since the (MTA) is not planning to purchase anymore 75 footers)

-R32 body and the bulkheads of an R142a, with an upgraded R160 find where

- The HVAC system is of course on top of the train instead of the bottom

-The lighting wouldn't be a little dimmer than the R160s

-The interior would have big windows with big operating cabs so the T/O can stretch their legs.

-The headcoding of the train would have color like if it's an (F) train it would be orange if it was the (E) it would be blue.

-The train would also have a US flag and (MTA) insignia on it the car name is R-234

This is what I would do for the R32s to overhaul them fully:

-Paint them white on the outside.

-Replace the rollsigns with RGB LED signs. (3 per sign, they go in the slots of the old rollsigns).

-Replace the bulkhead flipdots with full color LED screens.

-Replace the windows and seats, and use a scratchiti-resistant material.

-Replace the inner systems to increase the cars' MDBF and possibly upgrade the operator's cab as well.

10563020_911244988891762_27048642665329510534505_911244995558428_746083210716661

Interesting. Subway cars like these are common in Toronto's subway system.

This is what I would do for the R32s to overhaul them fully:

-Paint them white on the outside.

-Replace the rollsigns with RGB LED signs. (3 per sign, they go in the slots of the old rollsigns).

-Replace the bulkhead flipdots with full color LED screens.

-Replace the windows and seats, and use a scratchiti-resistant material.

-Replace the inner systems to increase the cars' MDBF and possibly upgrade the operator's cab as well.

Oh, and maybe equip it with CBTC. Will the RFW design still be in place though, or it will be full cab?

Archived