Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
HofstraDad

Parking and riding the (6) or (7) to Town Hall Theatre

My wife and I are coming from Massachusetts to Hofstra to pick up my son on Saturday and then over to the Town Hall Theatre on 43rd for an evening show. After picking him up, I was considering heading back and parking at the Pelham station and taking a train instead of parking in Manhattan. It's spring break and we're all going back to Mass after the show so I'm trying to find a parking location in that direction.

I'd prefer to park along a subway route instead because of the frequency of trains. Does that make sense? Is there a good spot to park along the (6) or (7)?

If you want to park on the 7, there is a parking lot for the Skyview Center not far at College Pt. Blvd and Roosevelt Ave, not far from the Flushing-Main Street Station the 7 line. Best of all, it's also cheap. After that, you can just take your car up Roosevelt Av, turn left on Main Street, another left to Northern Blvd, and then merge into I-678 Van Wyck Expwy, which then merges into I-95 after the Whitestone Bridge, and then you are on your way to back to Mass. :)

My wife and I are coming from Massachusetts to Hofstra to pick up my son on Saturday and then over to the Town Hall Theatre on 43rd for an evening show. After picking him up, I was considering heading back and parking at the Pelham station and taking a train instead of parking in Manhattan. It's spring break and we're all going back to Mass after the show so I'm trying to find a parking location in that direction.

I'd prefer to park along a subway route instead because of the frequency of trains. Does that make sense? Is there a good spot to park along the (6) or (7)?

Welcome aboard Hofstra. Another 'secret tip' that I have done as someone that lives about 40 miles from the Bronx is this. Park in the Wakefield area of the Bronx at either Neired/238th or 241 Street (2) line stations.

If I am in hurray or not in mood to take Metro North, I drive to this border neighborhood w/ Yonkers and Mt. Vernon. Never had any problems there.

Plus it's right off the Bronx River/Sprain Brook Pwy which connects with the Cross County to get to either I-95 or the Hutch/Merrit Pwy. I would suggest that option as well.

As far as Pelham Bay, I am not sure how big the parking area over there. Another option if you want to be near the (6) is park at the Tremont/Westchester Sq stop. That station is right off the Hutch and after business hours i.e after 6pm, if i am heading to East Side, that another place I sometimes park at.

The other guys can offer some other ideas as well. One thing about the (NYCTA)subway i don't like is the lack of 'park and ride' locations. The only descent ones are 1)Mets-Willets Point (7)(another option) 2)Stillwell-Coney Island during the off-season.

Happy trails.

Being that is the off-season, park right at Pelham Bay Park, on the side road for the Bruckner on the park side. Plenty of parking there, the entrace for I-95 north is a block in front of you, and you're 1 block from the station (use the long viaduct over the highway from the station itself).

Being that is the off-season, park right at Pelham Bay Park, on the side road for the Bruckner on the park side. Plenty of parking there, the entrace for I-95 north is a block in front of you, and you're 1 block from the station (use the long viaduct over the highway from the station itself).

During the summer though bro(2-timer)that hell to park in the PBP area. Still since this is still 'off season' until around late May, a good suggestion.

During the summer though bro(2-timer)that hell to park in the PBP area. Still since this is still 'off season' until around late May, a good suggestion.

He did say Saturday... and you telling me lol, used to pick up there before I went over to the IND!

Wow. Lots of great suggestions. Now I have to study the subway map.

Here's one other idea that I've been considering. Parking over near Arthur Ave and taking the (D). Then when we return later that evening, we can grab some Italian pastry for the ride home. I've been over there for dinner twice now and both times had easy on-street parking. I seem to remember that the meters were not in force on weekends.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.