If you were to improve New Jersey Transit how would you do it?

qjtransitmaster

The point of the zone system is to make sure that people pay close to what the actual costs of transporting them are. You have routes that go pretty far out: To Freehold, Atlantic City, etc.

What would do is try to reduce the number of zones. They could do something like this:

A trip within the same county: $1.50

Express routes going to NYC or Philadelphia: $4.00 initial fare plus $2 for every county boundary crossed.

Intra-NJ routes: $1.50 plus $1 for every county boundary crossed.

Nothing wrong w/that, just make it friggin' easier! I mean I can't believe they expect people to know which friggin' zone they're in. They also need to modernize the boarding process and speed it up and use less paper. They have all those ticket stubs or whatever they are that spit out each time someone pays everywhere and I'm sure all of that paper just gets thrown away. I hate companies that waste resources like that! :mad::tdown:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Create bus only tube next to Lincoln Tunnel and Holland Tunnel to speed bus service for New Jersey Transit, and other buses that use tunnel.

I also will create Official New Jersey Transit Bus Maps, including Academy Bus, Coach USA, Lakeland, DeCamp, Carefree Tour, Burtlink Buses, A&C Bus Corporation, Express Bus, (NYCT) S89, SEPTA buses, along with lightrails, along with New York Waterway's ferry shuttle bus in New Jersey.

I will also create New Jersey Transit official booklet to include all of this.

the sooner the better!!!

Create bus only tube next to Lincoln Tunnel and Holland Tunnel to speed bus service for New Jersey Transit, and other buses that use tunnel.

I also will create Official New Jersey Transit Bus Maps, including Academy Bus, Coach USA, Lakeland, DeCamp, Carefree Tour, Burtlink Buses, A&C Bus Corporation, Express Bus, (NYCT) S89, SEPTA buses, along with lightrails, along with New York Waterway's ferry shuttle bus in New Jersey.

I will also create New Jersey Transit official booklet to include all of this.

the sooner the better!!!

I forgot to include I will also add Manhattan and Staten Island bus maps, well as Philadelphia where NJT/Coach USA/MTA S89 Bus serves, well as connecting SEPTA Buses in official map.

A trip within the same county: $1.50

Express routes going to NYC or Philadelphia: $4.00 initial fare plus $2 for every county boundary crossed.

Intra-NJ routes: $1.50 plus $1 for every county boundary crossed.

That would work for most cases.

* Extend (NJT)'s HBLR into Staten Island. :tup:

* NJ/SI (NJT) local bus routes via the 3 PA bridges. :cool:

* EWR/SI (NJT) bus routes {LTD or express}.

* Fixing & deconfu$ion of the farezone situations:)

* Standard easy to get &/or easily accessible (NJT) System Map & (NJT) County Maps.

* Does (NJT) have a "MetroCard"? If not it should.

* Ability to use (MTA) MetroCards and SEPTA "MetroCards" on (NJT), and (NJT) "MetroCards" on (MTA) and SEPTA.

Ditto for PATH & PATCO regarding "MetroCards".

* More 24 hour service on (NJT).

* SI level of mass transit in Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, & Somerset Counties, and NJ counties in the Philly Metro Area. IE: Routes 27, 35, 36 seem like they could use S78 Class bus routes on them.

* BRT &/or light-rail along 440, I-287, I-80, I-95, GSP.

* Extend (NJT)'s HBLR into Staten Island. :tup:

* NJ/SI (NJT) local bus routes via the 3 PA bridges. :cool:

* EWR/SI (NJT) bus routes {LTD or express}.

* Fixing & deconfu$ion of the farezone situations:)

* Standard easy to get &/or easily accessible (NJT) System Map & (NJT) County Maps.

* Does (NJT) have a "MetroCard"? If not it should.

* Ability to use (MTA) MetroCards and SEPTA "MetroCards" on (NJT), and (NJT) "MetroCards" on (MTA) and SEPTA.

Ditto for PATH & PATCO regarding "MetroCards".

* More 24 hour service on (NJT).

* SI level of mass transit in Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, & Somerset Counties, and NJ counties in the Philly Metro Area. IE: Routes 27, 35, 36 seem like they could use S78 Class bus routes on them.

* BRT &/or light-rail along 440, I-287, I-80, I-95, GSP.

rte 35 and 36 have academy and run super frequent at rush hour in peak direction.

The problem with Metrocard on NJT is the zones. The only reason NJT have zones is to make money as well as pay their rising fuel costs. It doesn't make sense having a 190 trip where you have to pay $5 to cross the Lincoln Tunnel to get into Union City while another person pays $5 to get to Clifton, while someone else pays $5 to get to Paterson. They could just take a jitney bus for that and save money. That's why the zones are there. Yes, it's complicated to some but to me it isn't. That's why all the electronic ticket vending machines, or TVM's, have the option to ask where you're boarding and where you're alighting. That's how I helped people SO MANY TIMES when they wanted to know WHAT ZONE IS IT. The only thing that confuses people is the 139 since one town, I believe Lakewood, is split between zone 9 and 10. I forgot since it's been 5 months since I was in NJ. But this is my experiences when I was a driver. I used to have a zone chart that I made a long time ago. I should get it out and show you guys if I find it. I made a lot of charts that the starters didn't have and it helped big time.

Amtrak7 did cover a lot of things.

I think NJT needs to get into the hybrid scene, and replace the articulated models with newer ones. Leave rutgers bus alone, let academy keep its contracts as long as it keeps on time and customer satisfaction levels above a specified level. Remove coach usa from the red and tan #10 and hold the bus drivers accountable for being reasonably on time, and if they see a passenger racing for the bus, they have to wait within reason, especially after 8 pm.

Have service to cape may, more frequent summer express service to AC from camden & philly, re-configure the tracks where needed to allow ACES to skip the detour into PA saving lots of money. River Line gets a few sidings, and re-work the agreement with conrail/CSX to operate later into the night. 9:30 cutoff from trenton, and not going all the way to the end in camden is too limited. You wouldn't believe how many people run to catch that last train. Pedestrian bridge connecting trenton transit center proper with the RiverLine plaza.

Do something to efficiently connect trenton TC and west trenton stations. Weekend lower fares.

I don't know about re-introducing the off peak fare, perhaps you could just lower the single fare by 8%, and have a specific weekend fare good from the the last 2 trains pm friday to the first 2 trains monday am. Also you could introduce a round trip ticket set that is 2% less per way, but good all day anytime. Also put bus & light rail ticket option and septa ticket options at all TVM.

Real time train tracking map, as well as real time bus tracking map, available on a free app or the website.

More communication between the various agencies & modes of transportation, especially for when there's a service disruption, and more effort to have services connect on time.

Increased efforts to keep rail rolling stock clean & sanitary.

- A

Have service to cape may, more frequent summer express service to AC from camden & philly, re-configure the tracks where needed to allow ACES to skip the detour into PA saving lots of money.

The NJCL-AC connection used to exist, but it was demolished/abandonned and now requires a long bridge.

Real time train tracking map, as well as real time bus tracking map, available on a free app or the website.

The bus tracking map is coming, NJT is putting Clever Devices on everything by 2013 IIRC.

well, mines is for hudson county. when they got rid of the #16 "claiming" everyone can take the light rail, that seemed like bull to me. I know, nj transit didn't own the #16, but it was running well with lots of people and all of a sudden they stopped it. As well as the central ave bus, now there's no service on garfield. also, i would add another car for the light rail on the weekends. I took the light rail this pass weekend and by the time we got too the garfield station, it was crowded.

The NJCL-AC connection used to exist, but it was demolished/abandonned and now requires a long bridge.

The bus tracking map is coming, NJT is putting Clever Devices on everything by 2013 IIRC.

What Bridge, the ROW is still intact....it might be restored sometime in the near future... Form Red Bank to Hammonton is all over land and very straight...

I agree with the RiverLine they need to do something about it or atleast have the 409 run every hour from 930pm to 5am. Lets say you do a day trip to nyc and you forget the RiverLine stops at 930 or you just dont know then your screwed especially if you live on the camden county end. NJT should have the 418 running all times as a Trenton Camden Express . Its 2hrs and some change on that 409 which gets packed and it serves basically the entire north of stops of the riverline

409: Trenton-Camden Local

418: Trenton-Camden Express via 295, 76 West, 676 straight to Walter Rand. Currently the 418 only runs peak hours. or alreast have the 418 run when the RiverLine stops. The current 418 operates express via route 130 which defeats the purpose with all the lights.

Njt needs more Wildwood Cape May service. im sick and tired of buses packed like sardine cans in the summer. They need direct express service from ac to wildwood and cape may in the summer. Upon leaving acbt the standing room only sign is already needed and havent even left atlantic city to do the local stops.

The 316 summer express to cape may needs more service also. You have newton av...washington twp....egg harbor all doing the service and its still not enough. Washinton twp got a 40 bus increase with the addition of the nabis. during the days alot of nabis are sitting and cause of that your seeing alot of nabis on routes there not suppose to be on like the 401 402 406 408 410 412.

well, mines is for hudson county. when they got rid of the #16 "claiming" everyone can take the light rail, that seemed like bull to me. I know, nj transit didn't own the #16, but it was running well with lots of people and all of a sudden they stopped it. As well as the central ave bus, now there's no service on garfield. also, i would add another car for the light rail on the weekends. I took the light rail this pass weekend and by the time we got too the garfield station, it was crowded.

The 16 was not discontinued for those reasons such as the light rail, it was apart of R&T's BS service cutting. The southern half of the 231 and 3 along Garfield Avenue were discontinued because ridership was on a decline due to loss of ridership to the light rail.

Never really knew why the 16 was discontinued, it was a whole host of reasons, but definitely a route that should not have been discontinued. I was a daily rider on the 16 and it was good alternative to the 4 bus. Also, it was the only direct access that the Lafayette section of Jersey City had to Journal Square. The 6 via Ocean was not too far away, but for seniors it was difficult. Now that the 6 Lafayette Loop was put in place summer of 09, it has helped a bit.

Sadly, Pablo, I would suggest to make a petition to NJT and have enough signatures to have that service back. But, the "SADLY" part that I'm mentioning is that NJT won't give a damn about the route, and it's a shame if you ask me. If NJT did, How much you wanna bet that they'll give the 126 to Meadowlands and Ironbound COMPLETELY, and have all those NABI's on that 16 and 231 routes (After NJT relabel them)?

Sadly, Pablo, I would suggest to make a petition to NJT and have enough signatures to have that service back. But, the "SADLY" part that I'm mentioning is that NJT won't give a damn about the route, and it's a shame if you ask me. If NJT did, How much you wanna bet that they'll give the 126 to Meadowlands and Ironbound COMPLETELY, and have all those NABI's on that 16 and 231 routes (After NJT relabel them)?

We tried back when the service was threatened to be cut and sadly it didn't work. There was word other companies were considering taking over the line, but obviously nothing became of that.

We were hoping NJT did take operation of the 16 because they stepped up in starting the 6 for the discontinued 99 service to Journal Square along Ocean Avenue, but the 16 was not in NJT's grandest interest.

The 16 was a heavy line for the service it had, but wouldn't need too many buses. NJT had beefed up service on the 87 after the 16 was discontinued, so the buses added to the 87 could've been used to make service on the 16.

After the 231 was discontinued, Red & Tan was pressured to get service back on Central Avenue, so thats why the 10/99S was moved over to Central Ave from Palisades Avenue, thats why you saw the extension of the 123 to Christ Hospital.

So no need to make the 126 Meadowlands and Ironbound, because Greenville does have the bigger piece of the 126. BUT, that would've been the case if Red & Tan ceased all operation in Hudson County, because NJT started preparing for expansion of 81 service on Ocean Avenue if the 4 tanked (which almost did), and also taking on the 10/99S. That's why service on the 4 was being sabotaged, but not the 10 mind you because that's their money line which why R&T is still around. Then NJT stepped up and said absolutely not, told R&T they're not going anywhere, even footed up a bill to keep the 4 going.

It was a whole bunch of hoopla man.

I agree with the RiverLine they need to do something about it or atleast have the 409 run every hour from 930pm to 5am. Lets say you do a day trip to nyc and you forget the RiverLine stops at 930 or you just dont know then your screwed especially if you live on the camden county end. NJT should have the 418 running all times as a Trenton Camden Express . Its 2hrs and some change on that 409 which gets packed and it serves basically the entire north of stops of the riverline

418: Trenton-Camden Express via 295, 76 West, 676 straight to Walter Rand. Currently the 418 only runs peak hours. or alreast have the 418 run when the RiverLine stops. The current 418 operates express via route 130 which defeats the purpose with all the lights.

Njt needs more Wildwood Cape May service. im sick and tired of buses packed like sardine cans in the summer. They need direct express service from ac to wildwood and cape may in the summer. Upon leaving acbt the standing room only sign is already needed and havent even left atlantic city to do the local stops.

The 316 summer express to cape may needs more service also. You have newton av...washington twp....egg harbor all doing the service and its still not enough. Washinton twp got a 40 bus increase with the addition of the nabis. during the days alot of nabis are sitting and cause of that your seeing alot of nabis on routes there not suppose to be on like the 401 402 406 408 410 412.

doesnt the 552 already go express from AC to wildwood and cape may???? its 24/7 last I checked

HOW frequent should the 316 be?? and 313???

in the summer oy the 313 and 316 should run every 30mins. those buses get packed. i work the 313 two days a week along with the 552 and they dont get as packed now but the summer service needs to be atleast 30 mins for the 313 and 316. the days i work the 313 i average 28 ppl from cape may to philadelphia and most of that comes in vinealnd and millville and rowen university.

in the summer oy the 313 and 316 should run every 30mins. those buses get packed. i work the 313 two days a week along with the 552 and they dont get as packed now but the summer service needs to be atleast 30 mins for the 313 and 316. the days i work the 313 i average 28 ppl from cape may to philadelphia and most of that comes in vinealnd and millville and rowen university.

how frequent should 313 be during off-season???

Archived