If you were to improve New Jersey Transit how would you do it?

qjtransitmaster

Im talking about the average rider that use the bus without a monthly i should have been more clear. Their is alot of ppl that ride on a daily that pay the fare that dont use a monthly. Commuters most of them all have their monthly. A farebox wouldnt affect them.

Get the fareboxes in!

553, I got a question for you: Is the monthly passes in the South the same as the Northern Monthly passes? What I mean is could someone that brought a Monthly pass from the Northern Zone Division use that same pass in the Southern division, and vise-versa? Since the Monthly passes in the South are a little bit cheaper than the North, I would of though that a person that has access to get a South pass would buy one and use it for trips up North, and save a few dollars on the side.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
553, I got a question for you: Is the monthly passes in the South the same as the Northern Monthly passes? What I mean is could someone that brought a Monthly pass from the Northern Zone Division use that same pass in the Southern division, and vise-versa? Since the Monthly passes in the South are a little bit cheaper than the North, I would of though that a person that has access to get a South pass would buy one and use it for trips up North, and save a few dollars on the side.

dont know about that but I used a rail pass for use on northern AND southern NJT bus routes and basically everything

$19.50 for a one way ticket. So, that's (Unless there's a RT Discount, which I don't remember exactly) $39 round trip a day.

No R/T discount except for PHL/NYP/NWK to/from Atlantic City. $39 will get you roundtrip to/from Atlantic City, let alone Toms River.

Yes you can use a south monthly pass in the north divison zones. The 553 is 11 zones and the 190 is 5 or 6 zones and you could use it. However 11 zones for the 553 is intrastate so you still would have to pay the new york zone if you wanted to hit new york. And you can use a northern div. monthly in the south. Theres this one guy that works at Newark Airport that rides my bus eveyrday uses his pass to get to Newark. IIRC its a 16 Zone monthly. 553 from Vineland to AC then 319 to Toms River for the 67X to Newark.

Yes you can use a south monthly pass in the north divison zones. The 553 is 11 zones and the 190 is 5 or 6 zones and you could use it. However 11 zones for the 553 is intrastate so you still would have to pay the new york zone if you wanted to hit new york. And you can use a northern div. monthly in the south. Theres this one guy that works at Newark Airport that rides my bus eveyrday uses his pass to get to Newark. IIRC its a 16 Zone monthly. 553 from Vineland to AC then 319 to Toms River for the 67X to Newark.

Can I ask u something what do u think about the new 60 they were planning earlier did it make sense??

That route doesnt concern me as it was going to be a Howell based route IIRC.

Yeah, I shake my head with the passengers that get on with tickets. Unless their job provides them with the tickets and employees dont have to pay for it, man, what a waste if they're traveling to and from with tickets on a daily basis. Get the pass instead.

For 18 zone passengers to and from NY - Toms River

$19.50 for a one way ticket. So, that's (Unless there's a RT Discount, which I don't remember exactly) $39 round trip a day. Times that by 28 days = $1,092 a month.

Ten Trip Tickets are $166 bucks, times 4 weeks: $664

Monthly pass: $455. Savings: $209 for 10 Trip, $637 for 1-way ticket riders.

Do the math.

Source: NJT's Fare System on Njtransit.com: http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BusFareChartsTo

You hit the nail on the head! I shake my head every time I see someone getting on with those 10 Trip Tickets. There only good for 5 days of travel if you work 5 days a week. You figure if you use it for a RT. And if the bus is your means of transportation then it makes those 10 trip tickets even more pointless.

Some jobs do provide tickets,. The colleges down here provides students with tickets @ a discounted price.

That route doesnt concern me as it was going to be a Howell based route IIRC.

You hit the nail on the head! I shake my head every time I see someone getting on with those 10 Trip Tickets. There only good for 5 days of travel if you work 5 days a week. You figure if you use it for a RT. And if the bus is your means of transportation then it makes those 10 trip tickets even more pointless.

Some jobs do provide tickets,. The colleges down here provides students with tickets @ a discounted price.

how frequent was 60 going to be if they made it

or combine it with NJT 80 or at least 88 alone it has become to infrequent that it did itself in merge it and call it a day.

interesting or they should do a test adding some extra service on the 43 to end at kearny/walmart starting from jersey city and newark and return there to see if the people would like it.. well i hope i even made sense haha.They should add more service to operate the walmart in kearny or make the 30 and 40 go down harrison ave to walmart then return and continue its regular way.

i love going there and alot of people do to so im pretty sure it would work

i do remember nj transit did something like that on the 1 like 3 years ago doing limited service extending the trips that ended at ivy hill to go all the way to 43rd street and sadly it never worked out apparently it didn't

last much

interesting or they should do a test adding some extra service on the 43 to end at kearny/walmart starting from jersey city and newark and return there to see if the people would like it.. well i hope i even made sense haha.They should add more service to operate the walmart in kearny or make the 30 and 40 go down harrison ave to walmart then return and continue its regular way.

i love going there and alot of people do to so im pretty sure it would work

i do remember nj transit did something like that on the 1 like 3 years ago doing limited service extending the trips that ended at ivy hill to go all the way to 43rd street and sadly it never worked out apparently it didn't

last much

sadly the 43 will attract no one due to its horrid schedule the best thing to do is not to slow down the 40 and 30 who are already slow. The best thing to do is just extend 88 or 80 preferably 88 and use that as the new rte the 43's branches will get cut as one trip means nothing. The 88 will be able to provide the service that can attract the riders the 43 can't. Then extend it even further out to replace some morris rtes like 872 partially and 880 to create a more efficient regionalized system. that trains alone cant. I made a plan about turning heavily used local rtes into multi faced long distance routes carved out of existing service by splitting high ridership lines into variants beyond their boundaries they can act as multifunction and create more cross service. Especially in central jersey where new local rtes wont work but if in regional forms they will fare much better due to NJ's layout it favors long distance rtes over locals big time

One SLIGHT problem with that: Academy can't run on time if their life depends on it, when it comes to the 88. Anyone knows that the 88 NEVER EVER EVER runs on time.

Then instead I will use 80 line which should be more reliable but wouldnt 88 improve if NJT took complete control of the line???

Are all academy contract lines that bad???

Let's face it, the Jersey City/Union City/North Bergen/Hoboken area that you're talking about is one of the congested areas in NJ. It's a miracle, IMO, that the delays aren't longer than they are, especially between 5am to 8pm DAILY, including weekends. You have Jitneys, parents getting their kids to school, school buses, people with their own cars getting to wherever, delivery trucks, you have other buses coming in and out of the area: 1, 2, 6, 22, 23, 43, 64, 67, 68, ALL the 80 lines, 125, 319: It's congested. You have so many people in one mass area. It's amazing to see how anything gets moving. Nothing anyone can do can fix that, not now, not ever.

I have used my Southern-purchased pass in North Jersey ever since I moved to the state. I have to pay the Northern zone rate but I rarely do that because I have a 3 zone interstate, and that covers most local bus routes up north. On the times I go interstate to NYC [107, 108, 161, 190] then I pay the extra zone chage like I would do if I was using the pass to go to Philly [that's rare since I commute from zone 3].

I heard they are making a connection from the river line to the ACL. Not sure if that's true or not, but i hope it's for real.

As for cape may line, i think it should have hourly service year round and 45 minute service in summer adjusted to whatever pattern works best, but what about stations, where would they be? Park and ride, bus connections?

- A

I heard they are making a connection from the river line to the ACL. Not sure if that's true or not, but i hope it's for real.

As for cape may line, i think it should have hourly service year round and 45 minute service in summer adjusted to whatever pattern works best, but what about stations, where would they be? Park and ride, bus connections?

- A

its real!!!!!

- A

The Pennsuaken Transfer Center will open in mid 2012.

Well my experience with NJ Transit is mainly central and southern NJ.

Freehold Raceway Mall needs direct service to NYC, right now from NY you have to take the 139 to the stop at Raceway Mall drive and Rt.9 and a treachorous walk to the mall. And not all 139's go that way.

Only the 67, 833, and 836 actually stop in the mall, which is baffling. Every other 139 should serve the mall.

The other lack of service is along Rt.539 (Hooper Ave) in Toms River and Brick. The only NJ Transit route that serves this corridor is the 67, and it only runs every 2-3 hours, despite strong ridership.

Much of the 67 ridership is between points in Toms River, Brick, and Lakewood. This corridor should get hourly service.

Ocean Ride is a joke and doesn't even serve OCC.

NJ Transit should take over their busiest lines (Toms River connection), they can be contracted (like the 833,836) but branded NJ Transit.

319/137 parkway express service is sufficient, but I would like to see some 137's serve the Hooper Ave corridor. Currently Academy operates a line in rush hours that goes like that to Forked River, but Academy dont accept NJT tickets/fares. Perhaps that line should be taken over by NJT.

Also there should be a full time dedicated Lincoln tunnel lane for buses.

Heh, good luck with that. 495 is narrow as it is now. To close another lane of traffic on either direction to have a XBL for buses wouldn't work because of the amount of traffic headaches it will cause. Unless PA of NY/NJ and NJ DOT gives the green light to expand 495 two additional lanes for XBL service, as well as creating a new tunnel at the Lincoln for buses only, you might as well sit back and wait. As harsh as that sounds, and i dont mean to be that way, but as a passenger, a fan, and as a former employee of NJT, it'll never ever happen. Not even Donald Trump, Bill Gates, and the owner of Apple: with all their combined money wont be enough to make it happen: They'll have the $$ and the people to do it, but the construction alone will take years and cause more traffic headaches as they are now.

Heh, good luck with that. 495 is narrow as it is now. To close another lane of traffic on either direction to have a XBL for buses wouldn't work because of the amount of traffic headaches it will cause. Unless PA of NY/NJ and NJ DOT gives the green light to expand 495 two additional lanes for XBL service, as well as creating a new tunnel at the Lincoln for buses only, you might as well sit back and wait. As harsh as that sounds, and i dont mean to be that way, but as a passenger, a fan, and as a former employee of NJT, it'll never ever happen. Not even Donald Trump, Bill Gates, and the owner of Apple: with all their combined money wont be enough to make it happen: They'll have the $$ and the people to do it, but the construction alone will take years and cause more traffic headaches as they are now.

That may be true but in the long run it is needed

Well my experience with NJ Transit is mainly central and southern NJ.

Freehold Raceway Mall needs direct service to NYC, right now from NY you have to take the 139 to the stop at Raceway Mall drive and Rt.9 and a treachorous walk to the mall. And not all 139's go that way.

Only the 67, 833, and 836 actually stop in the mall, which is baffling. Every other 139 should serve the mall.

The other lack of service is along Rt.539 (Hooper Ave) in Toms River and Brick. The only NJ Transit route that serves this corridor is the 67, and it only runs every 2-3 hours, despite strong ridership.

Much of the 67 ridership is between points in Toms River, Brick, and Lakewood. This corridor should get hourly service.

Ocean Ride is a joke and doesn't even serve OCC.

NJ Transit should take over their busiest lines (Toms River connection), they can be contracted (like the 833,836) but branded NJ Transit.

319/137 parkway express service is sufficient, but I would like to see some 137's serve the Hooper Ave corridor. Currently Academy operates a line in rush hours that goes like that to Forked River, but Academy dont accept NJT tickets/fares. Perhaps that line should be taken over by NJT.

the raceway mall does get extra service at rush hour?? also I think the oceanride is so bad it should just get SHUT DOWN!!!!! since more ridership on 67 is south of lakewood wouldnt it make sense to have more express service to brick then or at least lakewood the 67 is every 2 hours that is the longest headway not 3 hours.

Archived