If you were to improve New Jersey Transit how would you do it?

qjtransitmaster

Heh, good luck with that. 495 is narrow as it is now. To close another lane of traffic on either direction to have a XBL for buses wouldn't work because of the amount of traffic headaches it will cause. Unless PA of NY/NJ and NJ DOT gives the green light to expand 495 two additional lanes for XBL service, as well as creating a new tunnel at the Lincoln for buses only, you might as well sit back and wait. As harsh as that sounds, and i dont mean to be that way, but as a passenger, a fan, and as a former employee of NJT, it'll never ever happen. Not even Donald Trump, Bill Gates, and the owner of Apple: with all their combined money wont be enough to make it happen: They'll have the $$ and the people to do it, but the construction alone will take years and cause more traffic headaches as they are now.

What he means is that the current rush hour XBL setup should be made to be 7 days a week. You can make it have directional "windows" if necessary if a second lane is impractical.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I did a RT on the 67 most of the ridership came before and after Lakewood & Between Newark & Newark Intl. In between it was pretty dead. I had 30 ppl in both directions. Most ppl want the 139.

So ur saying the 67 has little to no ridership north of lakewood on its northbound trips?? So it is pretty dead north of lakewood ??

The answer to that is in what I posted. I dont know how much more broken down you want it.

O I get it now you said most of its ridership was not along rte 9 but on the segments south of lakewood and after it goes express to the airport. So how do you think the 67 can become more efficient??? what changes need to be made to its route?? and frequency??

just a random thought here what do yall think about having the 62 trips that operates Ikea having it also operate jersey gardens mall? im pretty sure its worth it knowing how many people that go there even though the 24,40 does go there.

i think it would work.

just a random thought here what do yall think about having the 62 trips that operates Ikea having it also operate jersey gardens mall? im pretty sure its worth it knowing how many people that go there even though the 24,40 does go there.

i think it would work.

It wont work the 62 is too long that would slow it down even more and make the rte unreliable. Let ppl transfer from other lines 62 cant re route. It is way too long.

It wont work the 62 is too long that would slow it down even more and make the rte unreliable. Let ppl transfer from other lines 62 cant re route. It is way too long.

And to add to that, it would really overcrowd the buses.

It's a good service idea and I had the same idea years ago but looking at what kind of ridership is seen on the 62 south of the airport, it's usually airport employees and other workers, along with few who just flew in from somewhere.

People will just have to stick it out on the 40 like they always have been. At least Monday-Saturday, there's service up until almost 11:30. Sunday it's only about 6:30 but it is what it is.

ah ok that makes sense since the ones that go through ikea take like almost or a little over 2 hours to get to the destination

driver sheilds and cameras should also be put on each bus.

They should put those on the MCIs because as SirJokaPlaya mentioned if someone can go berserk and try to kill a driver for money hes carrying.

I'd like also like to add an idea. NJT should think about replacing the CNGs with some D4500CTs with framless windows

the raceway mall does get extra service at rush hour?? also I think the oceanride is so bad it should just get SHUT DOWN!!!!! since more ridership on 67 is south of lakewood wouldnt it make sense to have more express service to brick then or at least lakewood the 67 is every 2 hours that is the longest headway not 3 hours.

The 67 has uneven headways. For instance, if one misses the 4:06pm bus out of TR on weekends the next one isn't until 6:24pm.

That whole Brick area is under served, only 2 NJT routes serve it, the 67 and the 317 both of which run every 2-3 hours.

And there's no Manhattan direct service available there except rush hour direction 137 runs (via 549 service).

Those express 67 runs are always empty, usually no more than 10 ppl on them. They should at least run via 549 thru Brick then express on the GSP.

I was just over there in Brick yesterday and a bunch of riders were lamenting about the lack of NJT service in that spot.

All we're asking for is hourly 549 service between Toms River and Lakewood (or the city).

When I go to Brick I have to take a 319 or 137 express to Toms River than backtrack on the 67.

What he means is that the current rush hour XBL setup should be made to be 7 days a week. You can make it have directional "windows" if necessary if a second lane is impractical.

That is what I meant. I want to see a full time XBL. Last night I had to sit on an hour long backup at the Lincoln because of all the cash payers at the tolls. Had the XBL been open we would've breezed right thru.

I'm sorry but we shouldn't have to sit in traffic because a bunch of people want to drive into the city.

Buses should get priority!

That is what I meant. I want to see a full time XBL. Last night I had to sit on an hour long backup at the Lincoln because of all the cash payers at the tolls. Had the XBL been open we would've breezed right thru.

I'm sorry but we shouldn't have to sit in traffic because a bunch of people want to drive into the city.

Buses should get priority!

Well, there is only one XBL available. Do you want morning in, evening out, or vice-versa?

Well, there is only one XBL available. Do you want morning in, evening out, or vice-versa?

they should BAN cash at rush hour or charge a surcharge of $10 plus toll for cash ppl only. Then eliminate all cash tolls and use all electronic tolls that allow one to pass without stopping then if u have ezpass u get charged if not licence plate snapped then bill with extra charge in mail.$20 surcharge at rush hour witthout ezpass

They should put those on the MCIs because as SirJokaPlaya mentioned if someone can go berserk and try to kill a driver for money hes carrying.

I'd like also like to add an idea. NJT should think about replacing the CNGs with some D4500CTs with framless windows

I might get some people mad at me for what I'm going to say, and frankly, I don't care, but what's the need for CNG buses when no one in the entire state of New Jersey that takes mass transportation to get to point A to point B gives a damn? The fact that the CNG buses, 70+ of them were purchased, is a waste of money when perfectly normal D4500's were more economical, cheaper, and place more people in the bus. 49 passengers and 2 standing. Two. D4500's can hold 57 sitting (53 if it has a bathroom) and 15 standing = 72 passengers in one boat. If I was a starter at PABT during the rush hour, I rather have a bus that can take a crap load of people OUT of NY than holding more inside and having more passengers get disgruntled. The sooner NJT 86's the CNG's and replace the 7000 series with D4500's, the better for everyone.

Now, if I was the director of NJT, here's what I want to see:

- New MCI's coming in now. The current D4000's and D4500's are aging - some have reached the 10 year mark (Not including the CNG's). The 7100's and 9000's are no older than 2006. Thus, I would start implementing new buses for the aging fleet. I want new destination signs on all the buses, and I mean two lined destination signs on the front and side of the buses. If that means taking all the old signs off the NABI's and putting new ones, do it. Hell, put the in color as well so people can realize what VERSION of the bus it is. I'm tired of hearing people saying THIS IS THE 84 THAT GOES TO PARK AVENUE when it CLEARLY states BERGENLINE! UGH! Or the 704 when people asks if it's going to Browertown Road when the sign says 704M - VIA MCBRIDE.....COME ON!

- The park and rides do need some improvements, I agree, especially with the road surfaces: get the roads repaved.

- I want to see more local police enforcements on bus stops as well as DPW work on there: NJT doesn't own the stops or enforce where the stops are located: It's NJDOT and Local police. As far as I'm concerned, when I was driving and people complained about cars or whatnot blocking stops, I tell them call the police or tell the mayor: it's not NJT's issue. It still isn't yet NJT gets the heat for it, so make the towns and cities enforce bus stops more.

- I want more TVM locations in NJ. Now, I'm not saying I want TVM's to replace ticket agents - I wouldn't do that, but to travel to two or three major cities to find a place to purchase a train or bus pass is crazy.

- FARE BOXES ON ALL NJT RIDES - TRAINS or BUSES! If you don't have a ticket for a train, $50 fine via TICKET from NJT Police, which would have 4 officers on each bus to enforce that rule. I thought I sounded like I was doing favoritism for NJTBO and not mention the entire system, and for that, I apologize. Trains need to be more vigilant as well, especially in the times that we live in. Forget that Bin Laden is dead. There'll be another psycho like him in the future. We had McVeigh in '95 with Oklahoma City, we had Bin Laden in '01, and it'll happen again, sad to say. Maybe worse, maybe not as worse, who knows. We should not take for granted what security we have, thus, more security is needed to make things more safe for the passengers and the workers of NJT Equipment.

One other note: the 197 will never, ever, EVER, EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR run in Union City. NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER! The 197 is the EXPRESS to NY from Wayne/Willowbrook. I talked to a Wayne driver back in 2008 and asked him about it. One passenger over heard us and started a bitching storm. It takes no more than 35-40 minutes to get to NY from Willowbrook. They want it that way and it's gonna stay that way. Now, if there is to be a NY - Willowbrook service via Union City, maybe Wayne or Meadowlands or a combination of both can provide the service with a new line: call it the 397 (since the 300's can go ANYWHERE in NJ: 320 to NY, 361 - Newark Express, 319 NY to Atlantic City, 307 to Freehold from 6 Flags, etc.). NJT has to see if the demand is there. If it is, it'll happen.

If you don't have a ticket for a train, $50 fine via TICKET from NJT Police, which would have 4 officers on each bus to enforce that rule.

4 cops a bus will cost a TON. Also, many rail stations don't have TVM's, most on the RVL, NJCL, Morris&Essex, and Montclair-Boonton.

I agree 4 cops on a bus is a little much dont ya think? NJTPD are usually nowhere to be found already why pay them to do something they already dont do now. Same wit the peeps that check tickets on the Light Rails. People fare beat the riverline like its christmas.

As for the CNG i agree on that. 2 standees is a waste of time. When I did the 67 they tried to give me that but I said hell to tha nah and came out with 9028. Order more CTs and call it a day.

I heard that the older D4000s and D4500s were going to orange front n side signs. Dont know how much truth was in that.

Washington Twp takes care of there buses. There always fresh as ice. Fairviews buses frequent Washington Twp for fixes.

I would not want to be the driver working a 139 with a cng that only takes 2 standees during rush hour.

Fareboxes is the biggest issue for me right now. I hate carrying around that money and taking it out to give change back.

I wouldnt mind NJT installing tmvs at all bus stops but that would cost a ton.

If I was head of New Jersey Transit I would change the name of this thread from "IF New jersey transit WERE TO IMPROVE HOW WOULD YOU DO IT??" to "If you were to improve New Jersey Transit how would you do it?". It just looks a little better. :P

I agree 4 cops on a bus is a little much dont ya think? NJTPD are usually nowhere to be found already why pay them to do something they already dont do now. Same wit the peeps that check tickets on the Light Rails. People fare beat the riverline like its christmas.

As for the CNG i agree on that. 2 standees is a waste of time. When I did the 67 they tried to give me that but I said hell to tha nah and came out with 9028. Order more CTs and call it a day.

I heard that the older D4000s and D4500s were going to orange front n side signs. Dont know how much truth was in that.

Washington Twp takes care of there buses. There always fresh as ice. Fairviews buses frequent Washington Twp for fixes.

I would not want to be the driver working a 139 with a cng that only takes 2 standees during rush hour.

Fareboxes is the biggest issue for me right now. I hate carrying around that money and taking it out to give change back.

Well in maryland they let volunteers get on the bus for free in exchange for providing security services.

They place the cops in all the wrong places , like take Newark Penn station. Why not place the cops in the Light Rail or Bus areas , why just the regional Rail areas? Makes no sense if you want to protect the who station.... Whats with the lack of Patrols along the Riverline and Hudson Bergen LRT , they say there beefing up security....but all i see is smoke and mirrors. There only there during rush hr....stop lying to the people or customers and provide beefed up security all day....:mad:

They place the cops in all the wrong places , like take Newark Penn station. Why not place the cops in the Light Rail or Bus areas , why just the regional Rail areas? Makes no sense if you want to protect the who station.... Whats with the lack of Patrols along the Riverline and Hudson Bergen LRT , they say there beefing up security....but all i see is smoke and mirrors. There only there during rush hr....stop lying to the people or customers and provide beefed up security all day....:mad:

good point

Archived