If you were to improve New Jersey Transit how would you do it?

qjtransitmaster

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was hearing on 880 the other day ideas or plans to run X-buses on I-78's shoulder & talk of plans for new rail lines. What does anyone know of these ideas?

The Philpsburg connections would call for the Morristown line and Raritan Valley line to be restored to Philpsburg and then eventually Allentown. But this plan appears to have been put on the back burner...

The Philpsburg connections would call for the Morristown line and Raritan Valley line to be restored to Philpsburg and then eventually Allentown. But this plan appears to have been put on the back burner...

yikes the train would have helped. I remember almost getting stranded in bloomsburg the site of a former rail station so sad. The demand I guess wasnt there it was deserted

GTFO of here are you kidding me?!?! Atlantic City does not need that! They have like most of the 500 series routes running there plus the 319 and Academy service. WTF are ppl not seeing NJT buses running on the road there. When I last went to AC there was like a bunch of NJT buses there.

Apprently we dont provide good enough service. The 500 Local Series buses are usually packed. The 319 service outside of AC is spotty. Only in the summer it runs decent Cape May Wildwood bound service. Academy AC service is part of the 319 service.

The only time I worked the 500 Local Series was when I learned those routes and I havent been on em since but when I was they had a pretty good amount of peeps riding so I dont know what the problem is.

I'm not gonna lie...

the first time I went out to AC (for fanning purposes, that is), I got duped by the long line @ AC... I'm thinkin to myself, I'm not gonna get a seat on this mahf**ka til we get to Toms River...

come to find out... the line wasn't for the 319... it was for the 553 !

so everyone piles onto the 553... there was only about 6 other ppl left standing, of which got on the 319 along w/ me...

(until we got to Toms River of course, when 30 more people came on)...

What I'm sayin here is, the line for the 553 was so long, it carried over into the bay for the 319.... this was the 9:20 PM run btw (well, it was SUPPOSED to arrive at 9:20, but the bus didn't pull in 'til almost a quarter to 10)...

=====================

and what's this about a 197 via Union City ?!?!? that would instantly add 15-20 more minutes to that wayne express....

I don't even ride NJT on the daily/weekly like that, and I hate buses that make that diversion...

to give a NYC comparison of such a diversion, that would be like ANY SI express that runs via Brooklyn serving 86th/4th, and then diving back on the hwy to get to SI....

regarding the 197 in itself, Do some of you know where (or how far) Ringwood or Warwick is, in proximity to NYC ???

-------------------------

....and NOTHING SirJokaPlaya said, pissed me off.... The 4 cops/bus thing is a head scratcher though...

just a random thought here what do yall think about having the 62 trips that operates Ikea having it also operate jersey gardens mall? im pretty sure its worth it knowing how many people that go there even though the 24,40 does go there.

i think it would work.

Although I've actually made that walk from jersey gardens to Ikea (which was a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would be)....

that's what the 40 is for, dude....

there's a reason the 62 serves ikea instead of jersey gardens (and Pablo nailed it)..... and quite frankly, I agree w/ NJT on that note.... The 62 has enough major trip generators... having riders take the 40 b/w jersey gdns & newark (as opposed to the 62), it's a little thing called even distribution of riders... you don't want everyone piling on 1 route that runs b/w the same 2 points as another route, and the other route basically carrying, zilch....

The 67 has uneven headways. For instance, if one misses the 4:06pm bus out of TR on weekends the next one isn't until 6:24pm.

That whole Brick area is under served, only 2 NJT routes serve it, the 67 and the 317 both of which run every 2-3 hours.

And there's no Manhattan direct service available there except rush hour direction 137 runs (via 549 service).

Those express 67 runs are always empty, usually no more than 10 ppl on them. They should at least run via 549 thru Brick then express on the GSP.

I was just over there in Brick yesterday and a bunch of riders were lamenting about the lack of NJT service in that spot.

All we're asking for is hourly 549 service between Toms River and Lakewood (or the city).

When I go to Brick I have to take a 319 or 137 express to Toms River than backtrack on the 67.

You're being selfish w/ this one... That area of NJ doesn't come close to warranting what you're suggesting.... See, I've also been on local 67's quite a few times.... Thought you were gonna come on here & get one over on people huh.... While there aren't many ppl. taking 67x's, I don't believe you when you say a bunch of riders were talking about the lack of service down there (in local 67 territory) - that's nothin more than you embellishing a story to get us to believe that you think that (excessive) service is justified....

You cannot be serious in making these suggestions:

- Hourly service b/w Toms River & Lakewood via Brick twp...

- service b/w Brick twp & NYC? really now...

- diverting 67x trips through Brick twp - what the hell do you think the 'X' notation is for.... If buses are serving Brick, then they may as well stay on local roads....

Backtracking from the 137/319 to the 67 to get to Brick, then that's what you have to do... How many people are really making that commute?

Everyone isn't out to get high off "those great shapes" like you are....

Stick to talking about what Nassau County needs.

That is what I meant. I want to see a full time XBL. Last night I had to sit on an hour long backup at the Lincoln because of all the cash payers at the tolls. Had the XBL been open we would've breezed right thru.

I'm sorry but we shouldn't have to sit in traffic because a bunch of people want to drive into the city.

Buses should get priority!

Yeah, and you're the only person that's ever had to sit in traffic on an NJT bus.... To be more specific, you're the only person that's ever had to sit on the 137 or the 319 while stuck in traffic towards NYC.....

While I do agree that buses should get priority, don't you realize how many buses go through the Lincoln... and I'm not just talking about NJT routes, and the few MTA buses either.....

....and NOTHING SirJokaPlaya said, pissed me off.... The 4 cops/bus thing is a head scratcher though...

I was talking about the trains. Buses, they have the undercover NJT personal posing as passengers. They could double as undercover police officers, especially since NJT posts on all their buses that it's patrolled by uniformed and undercover police officers.

I'm not gonna lie...

the first time I went out to AC (for fanning purposes, that is), I got duped by the long line @ AC... I'm thinkin to myself, I'm not gonna get a seat on this mahf**ka til we get to Toms River...

come to find out... the line wasn't for the 319... it was for the 553 !

so everyone piles onto the 553... there was only about 6 other ppl left standing, of which got on the 319 along w/ me...

(until we got to Toms River of course, when 30 more people came on)...

What I'm sayin here is, the line for the 553 was so long, it carried over into the bay for the 319.... this was the 9:20 PM run btw (well, it was SUPPOSED to arrive at 9:20, but the bus didn't pull in 'til almost a quarter to 10)...

=====================

and what's this about a 197 via Union City ?!?!? that would instantly add 15-20 more minutes to that wayne express....

I don't even ride NJT on the daily/weekly like that, and I hate buses that make that diversion...

to give a NYC comparison of such a diversion, that would be like ANY SI express that runs via Brooklyn serving 86th/4th, and then diving back on the hwy to get to SI....

regarding the 197 in itself, Do some of you know where (or how far) Ringwood or Warwick is, in proximity to NYC ???

-------------------------

about 1 to 2 hours but due to lack of connector service in orange county NY shortline users cant reach 197/196 or vice versa. such a shame and a beeline bus like 16 if extended select trips could pull it off warwick manincipal bus sucks

about 1 to 2 hours but due to lack of connector service in orange county NY shortline users cant reach 197/196 or vice versa. such a shame and a beeline bus like 16 if extended select trips could pull it off warwick manincipal bus sucks

Although I've actually made that walk from jersey gardens to Ikea (which was a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would be)....

that's what the 40 is for, dude....

there's a reason the 62 serves ikea instead of jersey gardens (and Pablo nailed it)..... and quite frankly, I agree w/ NJT on that note.... The 62 has enough major trip generators... having riders take the 40 b/w jersey gdns & newark (as opposed to the 62), it's a little thing called even distribution of riders... you don't want everyone piling on 1 route that runs b/w the same 2 points as another route, and the other route basically carrying, zilch....

You're being selfish w/ this one... That area of NJ doesn't come close to warranting what you're suggesting.... See, I've also been on local 67's quite a few times.... Thought you were gonna come on here & get one over on people huh.... While there aren't many ppl. taking 67x's, I don't believe you when you say a bunch of riders were talking about the lack of service down there (in local 67 territory) - that's nothin more than you embellishing a story to get us to believe that you think that (excessive) service is justified....

You cannot be serious in making these suggestions:

- Hourly service b/w Toms River & Lakewood via Brick twp...

- service b/w Brick twp & NYC? really now...

- diverting 67x trips through Brick twp - what the hell do you think the 'X' notation is for.... If buses are serving Brick, then they may as well stay on local roads....

Backtracking from the 137/319 to the 67 to get to Brick, then that's what you have to do... How many people are really making that commute?

Everyone isn't out to get high off "those great shapes" like you are....

Stick to talking about what Nassau County needs.

Yeah, and you're the only person that's ever had to sit in traffic on an NJT bus.... To be more specific, you're the only person that's ever had to sit on the 137 or the 319 while stuck in traffic towards NYC.....

While I do agree that buses should get priority, don't you realize how many buses go through the Lincoln... and I'm not just talking about NJT routes, and the few MTA buses either.....

what would you recommend?? how can NJT bus rtes improve b35?? have u used 552?? doesnt lakewood to toms river already have 559??

GTFO of here are you kidding me?!?! Atlantic City does not need that! They have like most of the 500 series routes running there plus the 319 and Academy service. WTF are ppl not seeing NJT buses running on the road there. When I last went to AC there was like a bunch of NJT buses there.

The link was for RURAL atlantic county NOT ATLANTIC CITY!!!!! look closely at the link

:cool:

Apprently we dont provide good enough service. The 500 Local Series buses are usually packed. The 319 service outside of AC is spotty. Only in the summer it runs decent Cape May Wildwood bound service. Academy AC service is part of the 319 service.

The only time I worked the 500 Local Series was when I learned those routes and I havent been on em since but when I was they had a pretty good amount of peeps riding so I dont know what the problem is.

OK how should wildwood cape may bound service improve how frequent should it be?? How can it be carried out. is the 553 frequent enough??? it shocked me when I used it for the first time I saw it was 24/7 I had a WTF reaction then learned why very quickly!!!!!

what would you recommend?? how can NJT bus rtes improve b35?? have u used 552?? doesnt lakewood to toms river already have 559??

yes, there's the 559 along rte. 9 that connects the two areas... but that does nothing for those folks that reside east of the parkway (which is where brick twp. is located)....

...and I haven't been on the 552.

yes, there's the 559 along rte. 9 that connects the two areas... but that does nothing for those folks that reside east of the parkway (which is where brick twp. is located)....

...and I haven't been on the 552.

what do u think is needed east of the parkway based on this link http://www.dougandadrienne.info/njbus/indexcnj.html and this map http://www.co.ocean.nj.us/Transportation//pdfs//transportation//TransitMap.pdf

All oceanride routes are TOO HORRID so they dont count as bus lines only the NJT routes are running daily or 5 days the nonNJT routes are insignificant so base your answer on where NJT should have routes. even in areas where oceanride runs as ocean ride is the WORST BUS SYSTEM EVER

@B35 the 553 lines get people all the time. Now you see what I have to deal with. Rush hour lines sometimes go to the entrance of the building. Everyone jams the 553 and I mean everyone. Compared to the other routes leaving the terminal its night and day. My runs I have to have a D4500CL if not the ppl would be left behind. With a bus 2 mins behind me both of us are still basically standing room only with the 3rd 4th bus being 20 30 mins behind and the 3rd 4th buses are sch to arrive at Vineland Bus Terminal at the sametime.

@B35 the 553 lines get people all the time. Now you see what I have to deal with. Rush hour lines sometimes go to the entrance of the building. Everyone jams the 553 and I mean everyone. Compared to the other routes leaving the terminal its night and day. My runs I have to have a D4500CL if not the ppl would be left behind. With a bus 2 mins behind me both of us are still basically standing room only with the 3rd 4th bus being 20 30 mins behind and the 3rd 4th buses are sch to arrive at Vineland Bus Terminal at the sametime.

553, forgive me if I sound like a tourist but I'm not that familiar with the South Jersey routes unlike the North routes.

I was looking at the 553 schedule on NJT.com ( http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0553.pdf ) and a thought came to my mind. If the 553 is that heavy populated, where the line starts at the entrance of the building instead of the platform (In which, DAMN......sounds like the 126/128 during the PM Rush), wouldn't there be a good opportunity for a 553X bus to operate, depending on where people are going? I mean, if you have a lot of people going to Vineland, maybe make a 553X bus that starts at the Vineland Transportation Center and goes on to Meadville to terminate, or to Upper Deerfield? Then the bus could deadhead back to AC Term and pick up more passengers? That's how some of the busiest lines in the North (123, 126, 166, 167, 165, 190) operate, to save time, and to ease the over crowding. Just a idea.

I agree with ya. The 553 is in dyre need of a whole rehab. I tell our higher ups all the time that the problem needs to be fixed. And I tell the passengers to complain and NJT will do something about it.

A 553X is needed asap. And the likely routing would go straight to Vineland Transportation Center then local to Millville then back to AC for another 553X. Egg Harbor needs D4500s just for 553 service but again if ppl would complain it would happen.

And the weekend is no better. Weekend service is almost the same as weekdays because of the crowds. When I was doing graveyard I had 130ppl total on my 1st trip standing room only. At around 2am something I forgot which time but there are 2 buses 10mins apart just to ease it.

I agree with ya. The 553 is in dyre need of a whole rehab. I tell our higher ups all the time that the problem needs to be fixed. And I tell the passengers to complain and NJT will do something about it.

A 553X is needed asap. And the likely routing would go straight to Vineland Transportation Center then local to Millville then back to AC for another 553X. Egg Harbor needs D4500s just for 553 service but again if ppl would complain it would happen.

And the weekend is no better. Weekend service is almost the same as weekdays because of the crowds. When I was doing graveyard I had 130ppl total on my 1st trip standing room only. At around 2am something I forgot which time but there are 2 buses 10mins apart just to ease it.

ok but I disagree with the deadheading part if a 553X is created instead of DH let it just be 553X in reverse so how frequent do you believe the 553 and an 553X variant should be?? how frequent should 552 be?? is 552 similar in crowding or is its service adequate?? For each time period how often should 553 run?? 4AM to 8AM:______; 8AM to 11AM_______ 11AM to 1 or 2 PM________; 3PM to 8PM______; 8PM to midnight__________ and midnight to 4AM ???? OK I had a higher up in NJT ask me about a service modding proposal but I also want to learn about service levels on certain lines. I actually have a SJ one in the proposal a new route to wilmington from AC is created with a variant through landis ave like a 553X but if 553 itself can enhance then that variant I made wont be needed

IS IT THAT BAD????:eek: I guess I got lucky when using it LOL.

Archived