ALP-46 modifications.

metsfan

I was wondering...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DBAG_Class_101

Based on that design, the alp-46 could get more powerful traction systems put in and up the HP to a tad bit over 8,500. If they did this, and the speed restrictions were raised, you could get passenger service on (NJT) with stops under an hour from NYP to TRE........ Reactions?

- Andy

The ALP-46Ms are going to be more powerful. Their main purpose is to run on the super express runs with MLVs. They will be allowed to do about 125 MPH.

Is there a proposed date? After track work is completed?

- Andy

Is there a proposed date? After track work is completed?

- Andy

Its going to be a while before they come in. For now, its just an order and contract set up with probably the locos in production soon. I think we should be expecting them in 2009 or 2010.

Its going to be a while before they come in. For now, its just an order and contract set up with probably the locos in production soon. I think we should be expecting them in 2009 or 2010.

Sweet!!! I can't wait!

- Andy

Yup. ALP-44s getting a rehab, and a new paintjob supposedly, and then the ALP-46As for increase service and for the MLVs.

The toasters are looking rather haggard in terms of paint and overall finish.

P5080039-1.jpg

- Andy

The ALP-46As are going to be more powerful. Their main purpose is to run on the super express runs with MLVs. They will be allowed to do about 125 MPH.

I guess that means NJ Transit is going to ease up on their 100mph speed restriction for equipment

I guess that means NJ Transit is going to ease up on their 100mph speed restriction for equipment

I am pretty sure the 27 new alp-46a's will be cleared up to 125, but the older ones only to 100, i guess we'll see. The current alp-46's have 125 mph capability, but they might have electronic or mechanical governors to keep it 100 and under. The big difference, and one that is allowing the higher speeds is that the new loco's will be 8500hp, which is 1400 more than the current alp-46's. To put that in perspective, the acela's traction units are only 8000 hp, and the double ended HHP8 is also only 8000 hp. With the introduction to service of the alp-46a (NJT) will officially own the most powerful electric loco i know of in operation in the country. Something that will very muc help increase service and ease congestion on the nearing capacity stretch of the NEC that (NJT) runs on

- Andy

Does New Jersey Transit run trains now at 100+?

ALP-46 in pull mode does 100, as do the ALP-44 in pull mode. In push mode they only do 95.

The ALP-46 electronics you can tell have so much more grunt to them than the ALP-44. They accelerate faster and dont struggle at all with the multilevel consists, even when maxed out with 10 in tow. Don't get me wrong, i loves me some toasters, but... the ALP-46 is sleeker and has more muscle, the new versions even more so w/ the upgraded guts & control systems.

- Andy

Does New Jersey Transit run trains now at 100+?

A few Princeton Jct Expresses reach 100 mph, if they are in pull mode....if they are being pushed, they're gonna reach 90mph at best

All other lines have a few spots where they may see 80 at best...

A few Princeton Jct Expresses reach 100 mph, if they are in pull mode....if they are being pushed, they're gonna reach 90mph at best

All other lines have a few spots where they may see 80 at best...

On some parts of the :njc: it certainly feels like they run at least 80 mph or more. Does anyone know for sure?

On some parts of the :njc: it certainly feels like they run at least 80 mph or more. Does anyone know for sure?

The set speed limit in some areas is 80mph with the average for Long Branch North is 70ish...

So it is very well possible..

The set speed limit in some areas is 80mph with the average for Long Branch North is 70ish...

So it is very well possible..

I know the parts after long branch are slower. You can see cars passing sometimes.

On a side note, i'll be going to NYC in the morning, and using the new timetable, so it should be interesting what i see going on as far as trackwork. Will try to get many, may photos!

- Andy

Archived