Interview with family who were stuck on the A train during blizzard

Abba

Mhhmm..I didn't see this.Doesn't have that many views.But yea that event was crazy.They probably used the bathroom by isolating 1 or 2 cars and doing their thing btwn cars.I doubt anyone did whatever on the seat or floor.Never again will I ride the subway in a Blizzard unless in an emergency.

I heard and read about the event, but it's always best to hear about it from someone who actually experienced it. I stayed home in the Bronx because i knew that if i took a train which goes onto a line which is either elevated or at grade level, there would be a high chance of getting stuck, so i stayed home.

I've been stuck on a delayed train under the hudson river once on PATH and once on NJT, both for about 30 minutes. It was NOT fun, i could not imagine being stuck for like 5 hours in such a situation out over water way in the middle of nowhere. The crew on board and the people involved in rescuing the train are absolute heros. Risking their lives to save all those passengers.

- A

Risking who's lives? The MTA dropped the ball by not preparing for a more severe storm in the first place and still running trains as normal if it was a plan 1 instead of plan 4. Someone should've been fired for that mess.

I would agree if it had been normal circumstances, however, that was an extremely unusual case of circumstances that led to a "perfect storm" that caused all of the problems:

1. It occurred to begin with on Christmas weekend.

2. As late as Christmas Eve Day, it was predicted to stay out to sea and maybe skirt New England. Plan 1 was put in based on that.

3. The forecast only started to become what it was very late on Christmas Eve Night, and even then, it was forecast to be at most 6-10" for New York, which is still manageable, especially if people knew what they were doing. The problem here was, because it was Christmas Eve night, many who would likely have been monitoring this more closely were likely either away with their families, getting ready for Midnight Mass or sleeping in order to get ready to put together Christmas gifts for their kids early Christmas morning. If that had not been the case, we would have likely seen a Plan 3, if not Plan 4.

4. The lack of Christmas morning newscasts and other live morning shows Christmas Day also was likely a big contributor (the network morning shows all were on tape Christmas morning). That, along with the lack of other normal media for some in charge because of the Christmas holiday likely also prevented some people from knowing what was going on and how this storm was exploding the way it would on Christmas Day, when New York suddenly was looking at two FEET of snow as opposed to the 6-10" forecast there earlier and Philly suddenly looking at 12-18" as opposed to the 3-6" forecast earlier (that led to the postponement of Vikings-Eagles from that Sunday to Tuesday night, which in retrospect some Eagles fans blame for why the Eagles lost in the first round), and in turn likely was a big reason why Plan 4 wasn't called earlier (coupled with likely people being afraid to anger a lot of workers, even with massive overtime pay because of it being Christmas Day).

That to me was the real problem with that storm, as it was the sheer timing of the info coming out that caused what happened to in my opinion.

Well this was kind of like a surprise storm just like on January 26/27th,2011.The city was supposed to get 8-12 inches but over night it was colder and dumped 19-20 inches! Schools were closed(Regents week) and I believe they shut down bus service at midnight.

Also on December 26th morning everyone knew about the storm but yet the Holiday train still ran and service was good.

Well this was kind of like a surprise storm just like on January 26/27th,2011.The city was supposed to get 8-12 inches but over night it was colder and dumped 19-20 inches! Schools were closed(Regents week) and I believe they shut down bus service at midnight.

Also on December 26th morning everyone knew about the storm but yet the Holiday train still ran and service was good.

Big difference:

The 8-12" storm predicted in January was already a major storm, so the fact it wound up as 20" was not as big a deal as it would have been otherwise (plus, everyone was already prepared, especially after the earlier fiasco).

The Christmas blizzard was NOT predicted to be anywhere near what it wound up being, and the Plan 1 that was put in place on Thursday 12/23 was correct at that time, and looked to be correct on Christmas Eve Day. All hell did not break loose on that storm until late on Christmas Eve Night, when many who otherwise might have been monitoring what was becoming a big storm likely had major distractions with family being it was Christmas and/or did not have their normal media available that would have warned them of what was coming. That's why led to the disaster of 12/26-27/'10.

I am sure the Weather Channel will do a special on their series 'when weather changed history' very soon. Not to mention i would not be surprised books and a TV movie or film at the box office is created about the infamous Christmas weekend blizzard of 2010.:eek:

I was in Southern Calif that weekend and on Dec. 26 was in the car w/ my sister when I found out how NYC was buried with 2 feet of snow. My jaws dropped as I had flown out of NYC on X-mas eve.:eek:

I would agree if it had been normal circumstances, however, that was an extremely unusual case of circumstances that led to a "perfect storm" that caused all of the problems:

1. It occurred to begin with on Christmas weekend.

2. As late as Christmas Eve Day, it was predicted to stay out to sea and maybe skirt New England. Plan 1 was put in based on that.

3. The forecast only started to become what it was very late on Christmas Eve Night, and even then, it was forecast to be at most 6-10" for New York, which is still manageable, especially if people knew what they were doing. The problem here was, because it was Christmas Eve night, many who would likely have been monitoring this more closely were likely either away with their families, getting ready for Midnight Mass or sleeping in order to get ready to put together Christmas gifts for their kids early Christmas morning. If that had not been the case, we would have likely seen a Plan 3, if not Plan 4.

4. The lack of Christmas morning newscasts and other live morning shows Christmas Day also was likely a big contributor (the network morning shows all were on tape Christmas morning). That, along with the lack of other normal media for some in charge because of the Christmas holiday likely also prevented some people from knowing what was going on and how this storm was exploding the way it would on Christmas Day, when New York suddenly was looking at two FEET of snow as opposed to the 6-10" forecast there earlier and Philly suddenly looking at 12-18" as opposed to the 3-6" forecast earlier (that led to the postponement of Vikings-Eagles from that Sunday to Tuesday night, which in retrospect some Eagles fans blame for why the Eagles lost in the first round), and in turn likely was a big reason why Plan 4 wasn't called earlier (coupled with likely people being afraid to anger a lot of workers, even with massive overtime pay because of it being Christmas Day).

That to me was the real problem with that storm, as it was the sheer timing of the info coming out that caused what happened to in my opinion.

Archived