Late at night, MTA hauling reeking, rat-filled garbage on passenger subway cars between stations

Via Garibaldi 8

Some real trash rides the rails late at night.

The (MTA) sometimes uses regular subway trains that transport passengers to also move bags of stinking garbage collected from the tracks by work crews, the Daily News has learned.

A transit worker told The News he's seen passengers sharing cars with small mountains of garbage in orange plastic bags several times over the last several months.

"I've seen stacks of bags, leaking, blocking the doorway, blocking seats," the transit worker said. "It may be 3 a.m. or 4 a.m. in the morning, but this is New York City. There's always people on the train."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/13/2011-04-13_late_at_night_mta_hauling_reeking_ratfilled_garbage_on_passenger_subway_cars_bet.html#ixzz1JPG4Yan7

My question is, since we've been talking about passengers "squealing" on (MTA) workers, is this an instance that passengers should look the other way or should they speak up and say something? Bums do this all of the time . They enter the train reeking of whatever with their belongings that have been exposed to the elements stinking up the entire car. :eek: Thoughts?

If they do this to save money on work trains, close the car off to passengers! Then I doubt people would mind.

I don't like the idea. If they have separate trains for this then why take all of that garbage on to the regular subway cars where they're leaking disgusting liquids and who knows what else onto the trains, which of course are not cleaned afterwards? It's just promoting more filth which is not what we need when the system already has a lack of cleaners. I won't be surprised to see more rats on the trains now either. The more they're around the general population, the more comfortable they'll become. :eek:

Not like this is a shocker. Been on it once and it was stinking up the train. Was on an R46 (A) train in the AFTERNOON southbound with 2 crews bringing in a tank load of trash with the train filled with passengers sitting down smelling this crap. The crew was on the train for two station.

This is just sick...

Passenger cars, whether non-revenue or revenue isn't a place for garbage movement... Use the damn refuse trains that pops in after 10:15PM on different lines when they come.

Well my opinion on the garbage bags is LMFAO.

For the work car situation look the IRT SMEE Fleet is mostly Reefed. The few R14's left are Unused For Garbage Motors, the R17/21/22 Cars should be on the garbage job since they're older cars, IDK About the R26/28/29. The R33ML's And R36ML's Are Usually on the Garbage Job I heard as well as Mismated R33/36 WF Cars.

Not like this is a shocker. Been on it once and it was stinking up the train. Was on an R46 (A) train in the AFTERNOON southbound with 2 crews bringing in a tank load of trash with the train filled with passengers sitting down smelling this crap. The crew was on the train for two station.

This is just sick...

Passenger cars, whether non-revenue or revenue isn't a place for garbage movement... Use the damn refuse trains that pops in after 10:15PM on different lines when they come.

That's the thing,the refuse train shows up on diffrent lines and if the garbage isn't picked up,it plies up.and the garbage has to be stored somewhere so they use revenue trains to transport the garbage.it isn't pretty,but it has to be done somehow.

The problem is this, the pick up that you see with the flat cars with the small dumpsters is for station collection. The orange bags are for what track gangs clean up, that stuff is stored in the tunnels untill it can be picked up. They were, up untill last year using redbirds that had their windows removed for this, they usually had 4 redbirds and 1 flat car. They canned that since this summer, alot of those redbirds will be scrapped, so they started using work trains to make the pick ups. As far as what there doing now, I don't think it's a problem as long as they use a train that OOS and it gets cleaned when its done. Using a regular road train is just unsanitary.

Well here's an easy solution to this: stop throwing garbage on the tracks. Then they won't have to use revenue trains to pick it up.

I really don't blame them. This, to me, is just them showing the amount of crap they have to clean up after we failed to aim for a garbage can(there are dozens in any given station). If you don't like what you see, then don't do it.

who cares if they put garbage on the train. if you could see the things i see on a nightly basis then the bags would not be a problem. i see people shooting up, jerking off, pissing, crapping, hurling, leaking from giant open sores and many other biohazards, all calling a subway car bed for the night.

who cares if they put garbage on the train. if you could see the things i see on a nightly basis then the bags would not be a problem. i see people shooting up, jerking off, pissing, crapping, hurling, leaking from giant open sores and many other biohazards, all calling a subway car bed for the night.

I would think some of the riding public would care for starters. And with your statement, it seems like you're trying to lump all subway riders together as being nasty slobs which isn't true. MANY are yes, but for the ones that aren't it isn't fair to them.

Well here's an easy solution to this: stop throwing garbage on the tracks. Then they won't have to use revenue trains to pick it up.

I really don't blame them. This, to me, is just them showing the amount of crap they have to clean up after we failed to aim for a garbage can(there are dozens in any given station). If you don't like what you see, then don't do it.

Don't say we because you don't speak for all of us. I don't litter on the subway. For one I don't use it long enough and two I wouldn't consider eating or doing anything on them seeing how dirty they are. I don't sit down on them, so all you'll see me doing is standing and holding on to the overhead bars and waiting for my stop so I can get the hell off.

Aren't they transporting the garbage from the trash cans, rather than the garbage from the tracks? I thought the garbage from the tracks was vacuumed by a special train and transported on that train.

I take it you're a regular on the (2).

How does that excuse making an in service train more unsanitary? I fail to understand how two wrongs make a right!

I would think some of the riding public would care for starters. And with your statement, it seems like you're trying to lump all subway riders together as being nasty slobs which isn't true. MANY are yes, but for the ones that aren't it isn't fair to them.

Don't say we because you don't speak for all of us. I don't litter on the subway. For one I don't use it long enough and two I wouldn't consider eating or doing anything on them seeing how dirty they are. I don't sit down on them, so all you'll see me doing is standing and holding on to the overhead bars and waiting for my stop so I can get the hell off.

WE, as in New Yorkers. That goes for the general public. I do not need to represent anyone otherwise there wouldn't be garbage down there in the first place. Sure, I don't litter either, but I can't hand select the thousands that do, so it all falls under one category.

They use vacuums to clean the tracks, but the garbage is held in storage rooms in stations and tunnels. Whatever it takes to get the job done, so it seems. I don't like it either, but that's why there are rules in place to prevent things like this.

If you think that transporting garbage on an in-service train car is fine, how about we move on to having the garbage men save money by hopping on a bus, stopping at the corner, and storing the garbage on the bus until the end of the route. Who cares about the public, we all know that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US litters and WE DESERVE TO RIDE IN OUR CRAP right?

I'm sick of everyone sucking up to the MTA and NEVER even thinking for a second that they might be doing something wrong. Someone's asleep on the job, the customer's an ass for noticing their tax dollars being wasted. Garbage is being transported on a train, it's our garbage so we should deal with it. This just disgusts me...

Someone noticing an MTA employee sleeping isn't wrong - snitching to the goddamned press is. And it's not like the tracks are the sole source of trash; what about all the garbages I see on mezzanines and on the platforms?

There should be another solution besides using revenue cars. Are they really scrapping these garbage trains?

That's the thing,the refuse train shows up on diffrent lines and if the garbage isn't picked up,it plies up.and the garbage has to be stored somewhere so they use revenue trains to transport the garbage.it isn't pretty,but it has to be done somehow.

When refuse trains don't show up, stations fill up with garbage and mice with smell all over.. People even piss over the damn garbage which is disgusting..

Who cares? Most people will care.. Especially those who may have health problems with smell and inhaling it, such as people with asthma.

What if it were rush hour, and garbage was in the train and when the train hits a station, a full crowd pops in? Then what? Have them wait for the next train because it is used for garbage? Hell no! The (MTA) can get into legal actions for this.

This is why we have refuse trains, to transport the refuse. Not passenger trains. Now if its OOS, then maybe thats fine, but as long as theres a cleaner around to clean up the train..

They use vacuums to clean the tracks, but the garbage is held in storage rooms in stations and tunnels. Whatever it takes to get the job done, so it seems. I don't like it either, but that's why there are rules in place to prevent things like this.

Not really. The vacuum train sucks up steel dust and small bits of trash. It is not out there sucking up soda bottles and newspapers because it can't. The vacuum is not meant to suck up large or heavy item. Track gangs are the ones who clean that stuff up, there the ones who leave behind (and I guess they now take them to go) the orange bags. trash that is collected on the tracks (in the station on in the hole) is left in "wide ares" in the tunnel, not in the refuse rooms in stations. Aside from the garbage platform in the GCT shuttle, i don't know of any other garbage rooms in any tunnels.

I don't like the idea. If they have separate trains for this then why take all of that garbage on to the regular subway cars where they're leaking disgusting liquids and who knows what else onto the trains, which of course are not cleaned afterwards? It's just promoting more filth which is not what we need when the system already has a lack of cleaners. I won't be surprised to see more rats on the trains now either. The more they're around the general population, the more comfortable they'll become. :eek:
i have too say this is old news, ive been taken the train at late hours for years now and they do this all the time for many years. this is from the tracks and when they do this they dont have a garbage train too help them all over the system so they just load it on the passenger trains, and yes sometimes they do close it off and clean it up rite when they are done with it. its so sad too hear people care about this now its been years like this people. and if you want them too stop than you will never have the tracks cleaned at all, tell the nasty people that leave here too stop being pigs and throw there trash in the garbage and not on the platform and tracks.

No one rememebers that our subway cars have doors in between them? People can simply move to the next car if the smell is irritating them.

That reminds me. That's where I'll be tossing the crap bags if they happen to be in the car I'm in.

Archived