School trippers

LRG

On the schedules for the bus routes, the map that shows the bus's path shows the normal route in bold, with the school trippers in a dashed light line (e.g. the S56 has some school runs that begin/end at Hylan Boulevard/Bertram Avenue along the S59 and S78's route), and later resume their regular routing. I was wondering if the same should be introduced on the borough bus maps, with a dashed line indicating the path a bus takes is a school run. The symbols that could represent the terminals for these school trips could be the same as the part-time terminal icon.

Any thoughts on this?

On the schedules for the bus routes, the map that shows the bus's path shows the normal route in bold, with the school trippers in a dashed light line (e.g. the S56 has some school runs that begin/end at Hylan Boulevard/Bertram Avenue along the S59 and S78's route), and later resume their regular routing. I was wondering if the same should be introduced on the borough bus maps, with a dashed line indicating the path a bus takes is a school run. The symbols that could represent the terminals for these school trips could be the same as the part-time terminal icon.

Any thoughts on this?

Yeah, here are my thoughts... Think about the kids!!! It's all for the kids!!! lol

No, but seriously, I think that would make the map too cluttered. Why do you think that is necessary anyway?

I agree that will confuse regular riders and they might wait for bus at school stop.

When I took ride on awful S56 school tripper from Tottenville High School to Eltingville Transit Center, none of regular passenger boarded the bus (except for me) long time ago when I went to Huguenot Library for first time via X17C, and did not know X17C drop me off at it's pickup point.

From my experience, students were throwing paper balls, backpacks and it was insane like I was in school cafeteria!!

Plus (MTA) Bus doesn't show the school tripper route.

I always see College Point Depot bus sitting by Q72 bus stop at 94th St/Jackson Mill Rd during PM Rush Hour school days.

Yeah, here are my thoughts... Think about the kids!!! It's all for the kids!!! lol

No, but seriously, I think that would make the map too cluttered. Why do you think that is necessary anyway?

It mainly dawned on me because they started becoming prominent on the bus schedules recently but not on the maps and it had me thinking why weren't they placed on the map.

I agree that will confuse regular riders and they might wait for bus at school stop.

When I took ride on awful S56 school tripper from Tottenville High School to Eltingville Transit Center, none of regular passenger boarded the bus (except for me) long time ago when I went to Huguenot Library for first time via X17C, and did not know X17C drop me off at it's pickup point.

From my experience, students were throwing paper balls, backpacks and it was insane like I was in school cafeteria!!

Plus (MTA) Bus doesn't show the school tripper route.

I always see College Point Depot bus sitting by Q72 bus stop at 94th St/Jackson Mill Rd during PM Rush Hour school days.

Wow, sorry to hear!

I've been on the S55/S56 plenty of times around noon when the seniors at Tottenville High School get out early and I've never had any bad experiences with them...if anything I'd expect that from Curtis or Port Richmond High School kids, for what it's worth.

But like I said above it's on the schedules on the website and brochures but not on the maps, but I guess it's not so much a big deal if they're not on it.

It mainly dawned on me because they started becoming prominent on the bus schedules recently but not on the maps and it had me thinking why weren't they placed on the map.

Wow, sorry to hear!

I've been on the S55/S56 plenty of times around noon when the seniors at Tottenville High School get out early and I've never had any bad experiences with them...if anything I'd expect that from Curtis or Port Richmond High School kids, for what it's worth.

But like I said above it's on the schedules on the website and brochures but not on the maps, but I guess it's not so much a big deal if they're not on it.

The thinking is that they're school trippers that are meant for the school kids, so I don't think they want to publicize it like that for that reason. Those who need to know about it will and that's the school kids. Quite frankly as wild as they are they need their own bus. When I've missed the last X14 in the morning and didn't have time to wait for car service, I've used the (S54) a few times to get to Victory and Manor to catch an X12 and those buses are so packed and roudy. It's mainly for the school kids and you don't see too many other folks using it outside of that.

When I was back in Sheepshead Bay HS, we had the (B44) that was for the school kids. I never used that sh*t. No way. I would either walk down Ave X if I was hanging out at a friend's house, or take the (B44) going towards Knapp St. and transfer to the (B4), this way I could avoid the mess on the (B44) going Northbound and the (B36) going Southbound.

That B68 school tripper over there on Guider av... man, last time I took that thing (which was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak) was when these group of kids kicked open one of the windows & started pouring soda on passing cars....

one of them happened to be an unmarked police vehicle.....

even worse than that, they did it at the B68 stop before av U... which was a block away from that precinct over there on neck rd....

since I was sitting towards the front of the bus, I was one of the first ones to get let off...

Anyway, the point via made about not mass-publicizing school tripper routes/routings on the borough bus maps, is the same reason I feel they don't really need to be on there....

Now I'm kinda compelled to make a google map of all the routes that have school trippers on them....

That B68 school tripper over there on Guider av... man, last time I took that thing (which was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak) was when these group of kids kicked open one of the windows & started pouring soda on passing cars....

even worse than that, they did it at the B68 stop before av U... which was a block away from that precinct over there on neck rd....

since I was sitting towards the front of the bus, I was one of the first ones to get let off...

Anyway, the point via made about not mass-publicizing school tripper routes/routings on the borough bus maps, is the same reason I feel they don't really need to be on there....

Now I'm kinda compelled to make a google map of all the routes that have school trippers on them....

Are you really? You're going to become another Roadcruiser ala school tripper bus maps. lol

Any thoughts on this?

I would say it isn't worth it. There are only a few of those trips per day anyway, so nobody is going to plan their trip around those buses being there.

If somebody happens to be making a trip on a regular basis around the time that the tripper buses run, they'll find out about it anyway.

The only time I would say that it would be worth it is if there are a significant number of buses spread out over a decent period of time that all go to that school. For example, there are a decent number of S78s that start their trip at Tottenville High School during rush hour (as well as school dismissal times).

For example, somebody who formerly drove to the school and now has to make a choice between car service and public transportation might decide to use the S78 to reach the school if they know that a decent number of trips start/end there.

Last year, I always took the S46 home from school, rather than the S44, but since the trippers at my school ended at Forest Avenue (which added 10 minutes of walking), I would always walk 1 block west of my school to catch the bus (in addition, I avoided the any problems caused by kids from my school).

Nowadays, I just take the tripper S44s, since they are a quicker way to get home.

By the way, If you do make a map, take into consideration that not all school trippers are listed on the map. Two that I know of are S46s that start from Castleton Avenue/Brighton Avenue going westbound, and S46s that start from Nicholas Avenue/Charles Avenue going eastbound and wetbound.

Wow, sorry to hear!

I've done just about every school trip we have on SI and by far the JHS kids are the worst!! High school kids are not bad just loud. Why single out Curtis and Port Richmond, that's is just wrong. Take a ride on a scholl trip from IS 2, 34, 72, or 61 and let me know who is worse.

I've done just about every school trip we have on SI and by far the JHS kids are the worst!! High school kids are not bad just loud. Why single out Curtis and Port Richmond, that's is just wrong. Take a ride on a scholl trip from IS 2, 34, 72, or 61 and let me know who is worse.

Oh trust me, I've been on the S61 with the IS 72 kids...they're hell!!! With the Tottenville HS and Wagner Kids they don't really bother anyone just loud like you said.

Archived