Detour procedures

Kriston Lewis

Usually from what I've seen if the bus is moved over to take a parallel road, they usually stop at the same cross streets that they normally would, but usually make limited stops only. Once I was on an M79 heading to the west side and there was some parade on 5th, so it got diverted to 86th street. It stopped at 79th/Madison, 86th/Madison and then 86th/5th. I forget where it stopped on the west side, but I think it was 86th/Central Park West, turned on Columbus, stopped at 86th, and then went back to its regular route.

During last year's NYC Marathon, M1/M2/M3/M4 was using 85th St, then when I got on my friend's bus, there was announcement to use 86th St to 5th Av for 86th St Transverse Rd entrance.

M60 made detour across RFK Bridge to MJE to Yankees Stadium/Macombs Dam Bridge via 7th Av/146th-147th Sts, Lenox Av.

I was on Bee-Line bus with supervisior teaching new drive on Bee-Line W3 Express. Since there was construction work on parkway, he got permission from supervisior to use NY-87 I think not sure.

Speaking of detours, the (MTA) needs to do better with that crappola. I checked the site last Sunday and they said the (S53) was detouring because of some marathon or run of some sort down Clove Rd to Victory Blvd, so I figured I would ditch car service to the express bus since it would take forever and instead walked over near Forest to catch a (S53) assuming that it would detour down Forest and then take Victory. I get on the bus and ask the B/O if he was detouring and he looked at me like I had two heads.

Basically there was no detour. There was also supposedly a parade on Madison Avenue, which would have the X10 detouring, so I took the X1 instead. The thing is, I'm sure they know where the bus will be detouring if they're posting the this on the website, so why not say where the friggin' bus is detouring to??? Otherwise, you're left to play a guessing game as to where you can get the bus at. :mad:

In NYC - especially Manhattan - some detours sprout up and then go away in a matter of a few hours or minutes. When I was an Operator, prior to joining management, the practice was to contact the Console Dispatcher and tell them what was going on. So long as the Operator had a cursory knowledge of the area and declared they could do so safely, it was left to the Operator to find an immediate alternate route so headways could be preserved as close to schedule as possible.

Should the detour be long-term (construction, etc.), it was published at the Depot and notices were put on board buses.

Bus Operations in NYC often require people to think on their feet. That is one of the things that makes operations exciting and challenging. There was no one better than a Bus Operator to get that bus through when he/she had a swinging load.

Since they posted detour on Thanksgiving, they should list for major events like NYC Marathon, Puerto Rican Day and St. Patrick's Day Parade.

One time, when there was morning run on weekdays, one of BxM2 passenger were looking for BxM2 which they think bus detour on Amsterdam Av and they kept asking Manhattanville Bus Depot operators if they saw any BxM2 bus.

Archived