Country Club Residents Blast Bx24 Bus

Cait Sith

Other people complained about the Bx8 no longer going to Crosby and accessing Foodtown, so Country Club wasn't the only one complaining about the Bx8 routing. Now Crosby of course ends up with two buses, thanks to Country Club.

Service on the route should be cut back to 8pm 7 days a week. No way this should run later than the Bx18.

Bx8 is already long enough. So the Bx8 should stay put the way it is. I means its longer then the Bx31 and maybe longer the Bx40/42?

And why shouldnt it run longer then the Bx18?

*YAWN* Lets see here....I really wonder why the Country Club residents are making a fuss now, really the time for them to have moaned was at the Public Hearings held before the service cuts of the Bx14. But as we all saw they didn't really mind the Bx8 running over there. Hmm, how is it that the Bx8 runs too "frequent" but yet they accept the Bx24 being a half ass of a route with only one bus assigned to it....Seems like too much luxury to me, Pushing around the MTA like this!

Two possible solutions:

A) Give the Bx8 to Gun Hill for the somewhat quieter hybrids- but wait! Once those fans kick in they get loud too! And sound HORRIBLE! I don't think they'd want that!

The hybrids are loud on the outside even with the engine fans off IMO.

Besides the Cummins ISL is being tested in 7691, Can't possibly imagine that engine "failing" the test, there really quiet so once they change over the entire VII CNG fleet to ISL the noise won't be a issue, and WF is getting LFRs too with ISL engines.

You realize these folks dont take the train like that, Country Club residents are full of OLD PEOPLE!

Two comments:

(1) You meant to say that Country Club itself is full of old people. (If the residents are "full of old people," then they are cannibals.)

(2) As I noted in the X27/X28 thread, EVERY community claims to have the most elderly people of any community in the City, and nobody is ever allowed to fact-check by looking at census data for fear of upsetting the wrong politicians.

Two comments:

(1) You meant to say that Country Club itself is full of old people. (If the residents are "full of old people," then they are cannibals.)

(2) As I noted in the X27/X28 thread, EVERY community claims to have the most elderly people of any community in the City, and nobody is ever allowed to fact-check by looking at census data for fear of upsetting the wrong politicians.

They don't need to lie. Bay Ridge has a suburban feel and there are lots of older folks there. Of course young folks are there too, but it is a place for folks to raise a family and settle down as well and stay.

Two possible solutions:

A) Give the Bx8 to Gun Hill for the somewhat quieter hybrids- but wait! Once those fans kick in they get loud too! And sound HORRIBLE! I don't think they'd want that!

:( Stop worrying about them and leave them in the dark. Problem solved. Let them whine and complain. They had their cake, ate it, refused it and now want it back. I think NOT!

Oh lord, please don't tell me they're griping about the Orion 7 CNGs....

What in the flying hell is wrong with these people??? They don't know what they want, the MTA shouldn't even bother with those ingrates!

I think that the only thing that will appease them is the restoration of the Bx14, since that gave them everything they wanted.

Oh, wait. The Bx8 was rerouted specifically to serve them. They got a bus to Pelham Bay Park (an ADA-accessable station) and a bus to Westchester Square. It was "too frequent" but only during rush hours. Off-peak I believe it ran on the same 30 minute headways that the Bx14/Bx24 have/had.

Those Country Club folks aren't gonna stop until they get a one-seat ride to Westchester Square. However, they should be grateful that they have a bus in their neighborhood to begin with, as opposed to those across the LI Sound on Little Neck Parkway.

Agreed. Not to mention the fact that they have easier access to a nearby bus route (the Q50 and Bx8, depending on which part of the neighborhood they are in) than people along Little Neck Parkway do.

Yeah how about NO....you got the Bx5, Bx12, Bx12 +SBS+ and Bx23 serving Pelham Bay....it makes no sense to extend the Bx4A to Pelham Bay when you got like 4-5 buses serving Pelham Bay ALREADY. The Bx23 was made to replace the QBx1...not an extention to Westchester Square.....again that makes no sense. Co-op City residents don't their bus service to Westchester Square when their sole purpose to have bus service to Pelham Bay via Co-op City. Bx4A purporse was to replace the Bx14 Parkchester service. So what you said doesn't make any sense!!!

When did they say they didn't want their route extended? I think that, as long as they have access to Pelham Bay Park, they don't care where else the route goes (which is why I think the Bx23 and Bx24 should be combined: To give people in Country Club direct access to Bay Plaza, as well as the Bx26/28/38)

...and I'm gonna blast them.

saw this coming a mile away out of those people.... with as much bitching residents do in that community, it's the ONLY community in NYC that I feel deserves no bus service whatsoever...

I mean damn, before 6/2010, the bx14 existed & served CC - they barely took that... then the mta ousts the 14... then reroutes the 8 through there... then residents bitch about "too many buses" on their streets... the bx8 reverts to its prior routing... then out of the sky, they get a route that goes directly from their community, to the subway... Now they're bitching about service to some Westchester square, when ridership on the pre-2010 bx14 past the housing complexes in Parkchester, was anemic... where in the red depths of hell were those 100+ CC residents then ??????

I'm callin bullshit on this deep concern of service to Westchester Sq.

...and QJtransitnovice, please STFU already....

it's blatantly obvious you don't know what you are talking about.... It aint about not knowing how to transfer... it aint even about access to the (6) - They have, and always had direct service to the subway, so that aint it either... Why the hell should the 24 get extended to Westchester sq, for the purpose of transferring to the subway.... Good god....

Back to these CC characters....

If people are gonna complain, give them a f***in REASON to complain.

Revoke ALL public bus service from that goddamn community.

They probably were at the public hearing. The Bx8 was originally supposed to go to Middletown Road (which wasn't ADA-accessable) before it was rerouted to Pelham Bay Park.

They were probably at the 2009 hearings as well, since the Bx14 was supposed to be discontinued with no replacement whatsoever.

Not this shit again. What the hell does Country Club want? First they complain about the (Bx14), then they complain about the (Bx8), now they're bitching about the (Bx24)?! Are you f*cking kidding me?! They should be damn grateful they have bus service! Streets like Little Neck Pkwy and Cortelyou Rd doesn't have bus service. Where were CC residents last spring when they were proposing the (Bx14) to be axed? The (MTA) should say, "The hell with you. You got cars, drive your asses up to Pelham Bay!

Like I said, I don't think they were complaining about the Bx14's prescence.

The Bx24 runs one bus for the entire route, which is like a 30min headway looping. These People want Westchester Square access, but didnt the (MTA) listen to them before and had the Bx8 run via Country Club to Westchester Square?! Yes they did...! But then people complained about the Bx8 and then the Bx24 made wave.. Now they want Westchester Square back... Looks like these people want the Bx14 instead. Confused a$$ CClubers..

Even tho it sucks to have 1 bus running in a loop, but still, if u dont like it, take a car or move further in to the city where transportation is available..

I rode the Bx24 a few weeks back on a Weekday and hardly anyone was on the bus, it wasn't even full.. Now there was a huge demand, then maybe the (MTA) would reconsider if finance is found.

The only thing i can think of is at least combine the Bx23 and Bx24 into one, instead of dividing it, which pretty much sucks slightly. . Bx23 for example, replacing the Bx24 would add additional buses and allow connection to Bay Plaza Shopping Center and other MaBSTOA routes up in Co-Op.

Another Option is to have the Bx8 back in Country Club, while also having the Bx24, but then again idk if these people will bit9h over the amount of buses.

I agree with the Bx23/Bx24 combination, but I don't agree with the Bx8 being rerouted. If nothing else, it costs more money.

Bx8 is already long enough. So the Bx8 should stay put the way it is. I means its longer then the Bx31 and maybe longer the Bx40/42?

And why shouldnt it run longer then the Bx18?

He means the Bx24 shouldn't run longer than the Bx18.

Two comments:

Let's check it ourselves then:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/The-Bronx-Bronx-NY.html

According to this, the area with the most people 65+ is Riverdale, hands-down.

Other areas with significant percentages of seniors (around 20%) are:

Woodlawn

Country Club

Co-Op City

Throg's Neck

Whatever area is on the other side of Bruckner Blvd from Country Club

The area north of Pelham Parkway (the easternmost part)

Oh lord, please don't tell me they're griping about the Orion 7 CNGs....

That's the reason the Bx8 was rerouted out of Country club in the first place!!! I rode the Bx8 through Country Club when they had it go through there and it was some of the weirdest routing I've ever seen.

The ISL is a fairly quiet engine on its own too. Maybe it would work?

That's the reason the Bx8 was rerouted out of Country club in the first place!!! I rode the Bx8 through Country Club when they had it go through there and it was some of the weirdest routing I've ever seen.

The ISL is a fairly quiet engine on its own too. Maybe it would work?

Actually, it was because people in Throgs Neck complained that they could not easily reach the Foodtown at Bruckner and Crosby.

As for Country Club, I don't see service to Westchester Square ever returning, but I would instead give them service to Bay Plaza and Jacobi Hospital instead...granted, it's to Jacobi Hospital via convoluted routing. It would also benefit Co-op City residents too, as they would now be able to reach Jacobi Hospital on a one-seat ride This would be my proposal...and yes, the Bx12 Local would be eliminated. Country Club would not be served on Sundays.

Bx37route.png

The Q50 would take the Bx23's role as the clockwise Co-op City route. The question would then be what to do with the Bx29 route---I would probably combine it with the Bx38.

I don't think it is worth the trouble. You're messing up the Bx12 for no good reason.

Like I said, just combine the Bx23 and Bx24 and call it a day. They don't needa one-seat ride when they have these things called transfers.

Maybe the Bx24 could be rerouted to serve Layton Avenue/Dean Avenue for a connection to the Bx8.

I don't think it is worth the trouble. You're messing up the Bx12 for no good reason.

Like I said, just combine the Bx23 and Bx24 and call it a day. They don't needa one-seat ride when they have these things called transfers.

Maybe the Bx24 could be rerouted to serve Layton Avenue/Dean Avenue for a connection to the Bx8.

On the Bx12 though, I have felt that it should be truncated to the Concourse for some time.

A little bit of history here if I might. The Country Club neighborhood was always a problem for the OA. In the days before the Bronx Study, the line was the original Bx22. It traversed Country Club winding in and out (with some very difficult/dangerous turns) onward to an Ampere Avenue terminus on one end and Westchester Square on the other.

It was an extremely high line for vandalism. And this gave the lie to bigoted statements that only so-called Bronx "ghetto" neighborhoods were violent. The number of altercations inside the physical boundaries of Country Club rivaled the wild west of the Bx36 180th St. Crosstown.

Buses were "swallowed up" in Country Club. This means it was commonplace for buses to be stuck behind illegally parked cars for long periods of time. There were normally two buses on the route and printed headways meant little in reality.

However, it was a high seniority line. You carried few passengers and, so long as you cleared before the little darlings were out of school, it could be a pleasure to operate.

And, above all, it was the last line a Coliseum Operator wanted to drive on a Halloween night!

Actually, it was because people in Throgs Neck complained that they could not easily reach the Foodtown at Bruckner and Crosby.

As for Country Club, I don't see service to Westchester Square ever returning, but I would instead give them service to Bay Plaza and Jacobi Hospital instead...granted, it's to Jacobi Hospital via convoluted routing. It would also benefit Co-op City residents too, as they would now be able to reach Jacobi Hospital on a one-seat ride This would be my proposal...and yes, the Bx12 Local would be eliminated. Country Club would not be served on Sundays.

Bx37route.png

The Q50 would take the Bx23's role as the clockwise Co-op City route. The question would then be what to do with the Bx29 route---I would probably combine it with the Bx38.

That route looks pretty long. The Bx23/24 combo would do better.

How is it going to cause a problem the bx12? Bx12 can still run, but provides a shortcut then being rerouted via ECH rd. Just like the Bx28/38 which the 28 goes one way and the 38 as well. Or just make that line the Bx12 and the +SBS runs normal.

How is it going to cause a problem the bx12? Bx12 can still run, but provides a shortcut then being rerouted via ECH rd. Just like the Bx28/38 which the 28 goes one way and the 38 as well. Or just make that line the Bx12 and the +SBS runs normal.

Actually, under my plan, the Bx12 Local would be eliminated, and an SBS stop would be added at Stillwell Avenue, the only two-way stop that would be orphaned; the Bx12 SBS would become a 24-hour route. The one-way stop in Pelham Bay Park before the station would be eliminated.

The idea for that Bx37 is that no one would ride its full length, and you would have a high-use, high-turnover route.

Actually, under my plan, the Bx12 Local would be eliminated, and an SBS stop would be added at Stillwell Avenue, the only two-way stop that would be orphaned; the Bx12 SBS would become a 24-hour route. The one-way stop in Pelham Bay Park before the station would be eliminated.

The idea for that Bx37 is that no one would ride its full length, and you would have a high-use, high-turnover route.

But what about the Summer time? The Bx12 heads to 207th and Route 9 and does runs to Orchard Beach. This would mean ether extend the "Bx37" to Manhattan or have the Bx12+SBS head to the beach.

For people heading to/from Co-Op city, Idk if people will be to happy to see the Bx12 not pass into Bay Plaza, unless it will?

And why make it the Bx37 and not just keep it the Bx12?

But what about the Summer time? The Bx12 heads to 207th and Route 9 and does runs to Orchard Beach. This would mean ether extend the "Bx37" to Manhattan or have the Bx12+SBS head to the beach.

For people heading to/from Co-Op city, Idk if people will be to happy to see the Bx12 not pass into Bay Plaza, unless it will?

Money considerations as well as turnover. The Bx12 SBS would have runs that normally end at Pelham Bay Plaza extended to Orchard Beach. Outside of the summer, only every other Bx12 SBS would run to Bay Plaza, except from Black Friday to December 24, when every Bx12 SBS would serve Bay Plaza.

They had their cake, chewed it, refused it and now want it back. I think NOT!

fixt.

Personally, I wished they would've choked on it.... then we wouldn't have to hear this shit....

one (or two) more buses for some other community in the Bronx...

The only thing i can think of is at least combine the Bx23 and Bx24 into one, instead of dividing it, which pretty much sucks slightly. . Bx23 for example, replacing the Bx24 would add additional buses and allow connection to Bay Plaza Shopping Center and other MaBSTOA routes up in Co-Op.

Another Option is to have the Bx8 back in Country Club, while also having the Bx24, but then again idk if these people will bit9h over the amount of buses.

Those Co-op city folks take the 23... CC folks don't take the 24 like that...

Why should co-op service be compromised to facilitate for those people...

Simply b/c they're filing complaints.... lol... how many times have they done that over the past year alone..

just b/c someone complains, doesn't mean action should be taken to fulfill their requests, for the sake of shutting them up... it's no different than a spoiled brat goin to mommy & daddy for everything they want, and end up gettin it every single time....

Sometimes you gotta put your foot down and project an emphatic NO !

Furthermore, I see them objecting to a 23/24 merge anyway... for a few reasons.....

Two comments:

Here we go with mr politically correct here... You know it's bad when you're trying to be droll....

I swear none of your posts have any character to them... same old boring shit every time....

with #1, No, he meant what & how he said it...

Don't know what the f*** you are talkin about, about some damn cannibals....

with #2, where do you get that notion from....

It's not that communities claim to have the most elderly people... Communities bring up the elderly as a way of trying to soft-soak who ever it is they're complaining to, to yield a desired result....

In other words, it's a play on emotion....

They don't need to lie. Bay Ridge has a suburban feel and there are lots of older folks there. Of course young folks are there too, but it is a place for folks to raise a family and settle down as well and stay.

I know this has nothin to do w/ your post, but since you brought up that area, I'll make a side-point....

Bay Ridge complains about every little thing, but ya know what... The one thing I cannot get on them after (regarding their transit-based complaints anyway), is not utilizing the services they incessantly complain about...

....except the B37, which is gone

These Country Club folks on the other hand, totally different story....

....and QJtransitnovice, please STFU already....

it's blatantly obvious you don't know what you are talking about.... It aint about not knowing how to transfer... it aint even about access to the (6) - They have, and always had direct service to the subway, so that aint it either... Why the hell should the 24 get extended to Westchester sq, for the purpose of transferring to the subway.... Good god....

Best post evar....I so agree with you!

Theres an elevator at Pelham Bay. They got a bus in CC that shuttles them to there. be happy or call access a ride.

But the elevator only goes to b/w where the token booth is and the mezzanine...I doubt they want to climb up those stairs and wait a slow ass elevator. I agree to the part they got a bus shuttle b/w Pelham Bay and Country Club....these are some ungreatful bastards. They better lucky they got any kind of bus service....if they want service to Westchester Square...they better call a damn cab or someone to drive them there. These mofo's think they have "their" way....eff outta here with that bullshit!

When did they say they didn't want their route extended? I think that, as long as they have access to Pelham Bay Park, they don't care where else the route goes (which is why I think the Bx23 and Bx24 should be combined: To give people in Country Club direct access to Bay Plaza, as well as the Bx26/28/38)

Co-op City residents already complained how the Bx23 is late getting them to Pelham Bay Park b/c the bus makes them miss there connecting (6)<6> to get to work. The fact the Q50 LTD skips Dreiser Loop is another problem (but that's a different topic). They don't want the Bx23 going past Pelham Bay for the sole purpose its a Co-op City Shuttle. Having the Bx23 and Bx24 extention to Westchester Square is not going to help the situation why b/c they will complain how Westchester Square-E. Tremont Avenue doesn't have an elevator and plus Westchester Square already have too many bus routes. So if they extend the Bx24 to Westchester Square there is no room to park the bus and to pick up passengers. If Country Club customers want service to Co-op City its called the Bx23 and Q50 LTD those buses transfer them to the Bx26, Bx28, Bx30 and Bx38!

I think that the only thing that will appease them is the restoration of the Bx14, since that gave them everything they wanted.

Oh, wait. The Bx8 was rerouted specifically to serve them. They got a bus to Pelham Bay Park (an ADA-accessable station) and a bus to Westchester Square. It was "too frequent" but only during rush hours. Off-peak I believe it ran on the same 30 minute headways that the Bx14/Bx24 have/had.

----

Agreed. Not to mention the fact that they have easier access to a nearby bus route (the Q50 and Bx8, depending on which part of the neighborhood they are in) than people along Little Neck Parkway do.

I simply don't agree with the notion that CC residents will be satisfied w/ the revival of the Bx14, or even satisfied if the desired service behind this latest complaint of theirs, gets carried out.

Given their prior whimpers, What reason do I have.....

I'm not so sure via WhitePlainsRoad was even talkin about Country Club & the Bx24 in that post you're replying to w/ this......

He was replying to qjtransitnovice's ridiculous retorts....

...and I still don't see why the 23 & the 24 should be combined.

They probably were at the public hearing. The Bx8 was originally supposed to go to Middletown Road (which wasn't ADA-accessable) before it was rerouted to Pelham Bay Park.

They were probably at the 2009 hearings as well, since the Bx14 was supposed to be discontinued with no replacement whatsoever.

They could've been at city hall & protested til the cows came home....

My thing is, if you're gonna complain, USE the damn services you're complaining about.... So many other communities have had bus service yanked up from under them, with no type of realistic/feasible alternate, and these folks are bitching about service to a specific community....

I'm like, are you f***in kiddin me w/ this BS....

Let's check it ourselves then:

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/The-Bronx-Bronx-NY.html

According to this, the area with the most people 65+ is Riverdale, hands-down.

Other areas with significant percentages of seniors (around 20%) are:

Woodlawn

Country Club

Co-Op City

Throg's Neck

Whatever area is on the other side of Bruckner Blvd from Country Club

The area north of Pelham Parkway (the easternmost part)

lol...

You didn't have to do any of that... that point Gotham made regarding that, was absolutely baseless....

Besides, who cares about HOW many elderly people are in one community, compared to another....

Bx37route.png

¿Qué?

Co-op City residents already complained how the Bx23 is late getting them to Pelham Bay Park b/c the bus makes them miss there connecting (6)<6> to get to work. The fact the Q50 LTD skips Dreiser Loop is another problem (but that's a different topic). They don't want the Bx23 going past Pelham Bay for the sole purpose its a Co-op City Shuttle. Having the Bx23 and Bx24 extention to Westchester Square is not going to help the situation why b/c they will complain how Westchester Square-E. Tremont Avenue doesn't have an elevator and plus Westchester Square already have too many bus routes. So if they extend the Bx24 to Westchester Square there is no room to park the bus and to pick up passengers. If Country Club customers want service to Co-op City its called the Bx23 and Q50 LTD those buses transfer them to the Bx26, Bx28, Bx30 and Bx38!

This whole Bx23/24 combination & extension thing...

*sigh of relief*

Someone else gets it !!!!!

Thank You.

On the Bx12 though, I have felt that it should be truncated to the Concourse for some time.

A couple of comments:

Where is the most crowded point on the Bx12 +SBS+? When I was on the BxM3, I saw some articulated buses pass by (at Sedgwick Avenue), and they were filled to capacity.

I still think the Bx12 local should keep its current terminal at Sedgwick Avenue, to maintain a connection to the Bx3 for riders going towards Kingsbridge.

I just think that the idea hurts more people than it helps. Any riders trying to connect to the Bx5 or Q50 (going southbound) would lose their easy connection, and even Country Club riders would have a longer trip if they wanted Jacobi Hospital (which I don't think is that popular a destination anyway).

According to his plan, the Bx12 local would be eliminated. (Even if it weren't eliminated, I still think it warrants keeping the current service along the full route)

During the summer, some Bx12 +SBS+ buses go to Orchard Beach (I believe they have the ticket kiosks there as well)

fixt.

Personally, I wished they would've choked on it.... then we wouldn't have to hear this shit....

one (or two) more buses for some other community in the Bronx...

Those Co-op city folks take the 23... CC folks don't take the 24 like that...

Why should co-op service be compromised to facilitate for those people...

Simply b/c they're fililng complaints.... lol... how many times have they done that over the past year alone..

just b/c someone complains, doesn't mean action should be taken to fulfill their requests, for the sake of shutting them up... it's no different than a spoiled brat goin to mommy & daddy for everything they want, and end up gettin it every single time....

Sometimes you gotta put your foot down and project an emphatic NO !

Furthermore, I seem them objecting to a 23/24 merge anyway... for a few reasons.....

Here we go with mr politically correct here... You know it's bad when you're trying to be droll....

I swear none of your posts have any character to them... same old boring shit every time....

with #1, No, he meant what & how he said it...

Don't know what the f*** you are talkin about, about some damn cannibals....

with #2, where do you get that notion from....

It's not that communities claim to have the most elderly people... Communities bring up the elderly as a way of trying to soft-soak who ever it is they're complaining to, to yield a desired result....

In other words, it's a play on emotion....

I know this has nothin to do w/ your post, but since you brought up that area, I'll make a side-point....

Bay Ridge complains about every little thing, but ya know what... The one thing I cannot get on them after (regarding their transit-based complaints anyway), is not utilizing the services they incessantly complain about...

....except the B37, which is gone

These Country Club folks on the other hand, totally different story....

But if is only 2 buses an hour being extended, that couldn't have too much of an impact on reliability.

During rush hours, the Section 5 shuttles run every 5 minutes, and the Bx23s traveling via Sections 1, 2, 3, and 4 run every 12 minutes. Other times, the buses run every 15 minutes, so I don't see how bad the impact could be if 2 buses an hour were sent there.

I two fail to see what an extension of the Bx23 will do. Now extending the Bx24 to Layton and Dean for a connection with the Bx8, that makes sense to help shut these people up. Messing with the Bx23 will only piss off Co-Op City residents and make the CC people scream even louder. Oh lord I can hear it now....

I fail to see the logic in messing with the Bx12. If it wasn't needed west of Concourse then I'm sure the TA would have cut it. As B35 said, other lines that were needed got cut while CC folk are complaining about their current line. And what would be the purpose of combining the Bx38 with the Bx29?

That entire post just confuses me.

Archived