QM16 extends to Beach 169th St April 18th

Far Rock Depot

caught this info on the Q22 this morning:

Queens-20110416-00022a.jpg

Now residents of Breezy Point can access Manhattan express service via the "Blue Goose" without the transfer to Q22 or Q35 buses. I must say that after the takeover by the MTA, Rockaway bus service has greatly improved in the last 5 years. This is just a small example of that. The QM16 use to run one AM and one PM to and from B116th St under GBL to six AM and eight PM runs to and from Roxbury! Nice!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is the riding on the QM16? Are all those trips actually used, or are they vulnerable to the next "Doomsday"?

I rode on it once, it was kinda empty from what I can remember, its a nice ride though, route is slept on from a fan POV.

Then again I rode like the first or second trip, you can get a empty BM1 if you ride a early enough trip (We all know the BM1 carries), I rode a downtown only BM1 home during the PM Rush this past Thursday, it wasn't crowded for BM1 standards lol.

But from what I noticed when I fan those BK/SI expresses that start over there on 57th Street, the QM15 seems to be #1 in ridership when it comes to Green Lines express bus routes.

Brooklyn has Service changes as well on the BM1-BM5

Dammit, this sucks.... They cut out the 19:20 BM3 on Saturdays back to Midtown... Ugh... :mad: Luckily I checked because I have to go down today and was planning to take that bus back.

Actually they cut all of the last 19:00 runs on Saturdays towards Midtown on the BM1, BM2 and BM3... :mad:

They've cut the 22:20, the 21:20, the 20:20 and the 19:20 in the last few years on Saturdays on the BM3 and did the same for the BM1 and BM2 runs as well on Saturdays. Now I'm really going to write Mr. Golden. We need Southern Brooklyn service on Saturdays and Sundays restored on the X27 and X28 ASAP!! :mad:

Dammit, this sucks.... They cut out the 19:20 BM3 on Saturdays... Ugh... :mad:

Actually they cut all of the last 19:00 runs on Saturdays towards Midtown on the BM1, BM2 and BM3... :mad:

They've cut the 22:20, the 21:20, the 20:20 and the 19:20 in the last few years on Saturdays on the BM3 and did the same for the BM1 and BM2 runs as well on Saturdays. :mad:

If people don't ride the bus, the bus goes away. That's life.

Now I'm really going to write Mr. Golden. We need Southern Brooklyn service on Saturdays and Sundays restored on the X27 and X28 ASAP!! :mad:

If everybody who is now complaining about losing their weekend express buses had actually ridden the buses, they wouldn't have lost the buses.

How is the riding on the QM16? Are all those trips actually used, or are they vulnerable to the next "Doomsday"?

According to the MTA's data, the QM16 had a direct operating cost (back in March 2010) of $12.18 per passenger, compared to a systemwide average of $9.72 per passenger, so it was below average, but still better than other routes (not to mention, since NYC subsidizes the MTA Bus routes, I doubt its going anywhere anytime soon).

See: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdHd4QkhLRF92cURWNWdSbzNfSjJwWWc&hl=en#gid=1

If people don't ride the bus, the bus goes away. That's life.

If everybody who is now complaining about losing their weekend express buses had actually ridden the buses, they wouldn't have lost the buses.

Yes, I know, but I do use them and need them! Something is better than nothing at all.

Within the group of people who are complaining, there are always going to be the people who are truly affected by the elimination of the route, but the problem is when there are too few people, it just isn't worth running the service.

As a compromise, maybe they could keep the BM1 and BM2 running, and riders along the BM3 and BM4 could take the B44 or B49 and transfer.

As a casual rider of the QM16...

The extension from B. 116th to B. 147th yielded positive results... ever since that extension, barely anyone gets off at B. 116th anymore.... I'd even go on to say that the majority of the QM16's usage is b/w 147th & 116th.... that's how important that change was....

It's good that they're expanding service, but this upcoming extension to B 169th, I don't think will make a difference at all...

I tell you one thing though...

If I have ONE experience w/ a racist ass Breezy (pointer) on the QM16, I will stop taking that bus.

Brooklyn has Service changes as well on the BM1-BM5

I noticed that there was a new notice about service changes on the BM's... but I was too far away to read em....

Sometime this week, I'll sit close enough to the front to read what those changes are.

The extension from B. 116th to B. 147th yielded positive results... ever since that extension, barely anyone gets off at B. 116th anymore.... I'd even go on to say that the majority of the QM16's usage is b/w 147th & 116th.... that's how important that change was....

It's good that they're expanding service, but this upcoming extension to B 169th, I don't think will make a difference at all...

I tell you one thing though... If I have ONE experience w/ a racist ass Breezy (pointer) on the QM16, I will stop taking that bus.

I think it would, but a small difference considering people gotta take the Q22 to the (A) to some extent for those wanting to reach Manhattan, so its a bit of relief for a few of those peeps considering the (A) from that area alone to High Street in Brooklyn can be up to an hour. The way the MTA is thinking is pretty smart, expanding service to lower costs by increasing revenue along the route. I applaud them for that. This is one route I gotta try out when this all goes through along with the Lindenwood QM15

can an express bus go beyond sheepshead bay express to nesponsit via the belt???

Probably not, if you're thinking of the BM4. Don't bother because it would screw over both sides one way or another.

fml, B35 beat me to the punch lol.

can an express bus go beyond sheepshead bay express to nesponsit via the belt???

No, there is low clearance area.

When I had school field trip to beach clean up at dirty beach at Flloyd Bennet Field, our school bus driver used Belt Parkway, and when he got to exit before low clearance, he exited parkway and he had to go around to get to Flloyd Bennet Field.

I was thinking of adding stop to New York Water Taxi's Rockaway branch to stop at Sheepshead Bay in both direction.

actually that was not what I was thinking I was thinking superexpress QM16 via the belt if possible thats all cause the belt is useable for a portion

no I wasnt even thinking about BM4 either that guess wasnt even close!!!!

That still wouldnt work, whats the point of sending the bus to Brooklyn when it has direct access via Woodhaven Blvd & Cross Bay Blvd where the route also serves passengers.....? What the hell kind of sense does that make?

actually that was not what I was thinking I was thinking superexpress QM16 via the belt if possible thats all cause the belt is useable for a portion

To circumnavigate Brooklyn like that would be wasted mileage...

Something we (as riders) cannot afford, in any capacity...

No, there is low clearance area.

When I had school field trip to beach clean up at dirty beach at Flloyd Bennet Field, our school bus driver used Belt Parkway, and when he got to exit before low clearance, he exited parkway and he had to go around to get to Flloyd Bennet Field.

I was thinking of adding stop to New York Water Taxi's Rockaway branch to stop at Sheepshead Bay in both direction.

that is all I wanted to know thats it

QM16 doesnt stop till 147th

Are you sure you know what the hell you are talking about.....the QM16 makes its first stop at 159th Avenue & Cross Bay Blvd....You really need to stop talking about shit you know nothing about.

Express bus can't fit on certain parkways where there is low clearence.

Don't you remember about Chinatown Bus Driver ignored height warning sign on FDR Drive South and his bus got teared at temporality 60th St NB Entrance ramp?

Archived