QM16 extends to Beach 169th St April 18th

Far Rock Depot

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure you know what the hell you are talking about.....the QM16 makes its first stop at 159th Avenue & Cross Bay Blvd....You really need to stop talking about shit you know nothing about.

I can't give out anymore dap right now, but I just wanted to c/s this post...

but yeah, to QJT...

The QM16 (and 17) makes two stops on Cross Bay blvd (159th, and I think that's 163rd)... and two stops w/i Broad Channel, before it hits the Rockaways...

The first stop on the QM16 in the Rockaways is over on B 95th... This is where impatient (lol) riders that don't wanna wait for the QM17, xfer to the EB Q22 at.... that happens quite often on the 16....

B. 147th is the terminal of the QM16, right around the corner from that Q35 stop.

I think I could walk from Beach 169th St to Beach 227th St.

I wouldn't want to.

I think I get what you're tryna imply...

While I don't think the extension will make a difference, let's not disqualify it just yet bro....

(besides, they do have a private bus going from breezy pt, to the Q22 terminal over there on 169th... it's not like they have to walk it out or anything....)

I never take inaugural runs of anything, but I will take the QM16 this week to see how things pan out.... of course, I won't make a judgment on that one trip....

...far as walking... although it's not a cumulative number of "blocks" per say, that distance is still longer than you may think.

As a casual rider of the QM16...

The extension from B. 116th to B. 147th yielded positive results... ever since that extension, barely anyone gets off at B. 116th anymore.... I'd even go on to say that the majority of the QM16's usage is b/w 147th & 116th.... that's how important that change was....

It's good that they're expanding service, but this upcoming extension to B 169th, I don't think will make a difference at all...

I tell you one thing though...

If I have ONE experience w/ a racist ass Breezy (pointer) on the QM16, I will stop taking that bus.

I noticed that there was a new notice about service changes on the BM's... but I was too far away to read em....

Sometime this week, I'll sit close enough to the front to read what those changes are.

They basically axed the 19:00 runs from the BM1, BM2 and BM3 going to Midtown on Saturdays, so that means the last run to Midtown is now 18:00 on the three lines. I think it is getting a bit ridiculous quite frankly. They only run once an hour as it is on Saturdays.

They basically axed the 19:00 runs from the BM1, BM2 and BM3 going to Midtown on Saturdays, so that means the last run to Midtown is now 18:00 on the three lines. I think it is getting a bit ridiculous quite frankly. They only run once an hour as it is on Saturdays.

As long as they didn't touch service towards Brooklyn during those times on the weekend, I don't have a problem.

Quite honestly, I thought the notice would be one, regarding weekday changes as well... but I'll take your word for it.

I think it would, but a small difference considering people gotta take the Q22 to the (A) to some extent for those wanting to reach Manhattan, so its a bit of relief for a few of those peeps considering the (A) from that area alone to High Street in Brooklyn can be up to an hour. The way the MTA is thinking is pretty smart, expanding service to lower costs by increasing revenue along the route. I applaud them for that. This is one route I gotta try out when this all goes through along with the Lindenwood QM15

They could take the Q22 to Beach 95th Street to transfer to the QM16/QM17 as well.

I wouldn't want to.

I think I get what you're tryna imply...

While I don't think the extension will make a difference, let's not disqualify it just yet bro....

(besides, they do have a private bus going from breezy pt, to the Q22 terminal over there on 169th... it's not like they have to walk it out or anything....)

I never take inaugural runs of anything, but I will take the QM16 this week to see how things pan out.... of course, I won't make a judgment on that one trip....

...far as walking... although it's not a cumulative number of "blocks" per say, that distance is still longer than you may think.

According to Google Transit, it takes about an hour to walk all the way from Beach 169th Street to Beach 227th Street, so that would be about 3 miles.

Like you said, there is a private bus line to the Q22/Q35 stop, but unfortunately, it doesn't stop at Beach 147th Street, so current riders who want express bus service have to make an extra transfer.

By the way, do you have a website for that private company?

For those that are interested, according to my calculations, the QM16 would have to get an additional 11 riders per day in order for the MTA to break even on this extension.

$15,500 per year = $66 per day (divide by 240 weekdays) = 11 riders per day

Brooklyn has Service changes as well on the BM1-BM5

The last weekday trip inbound and the first outbound trips are deleted.

The MTA may be overserving the BMs off peak, however. Under Command, it was 2 buses on the line on BM1-3 on Saturdays and 1 bus on the BM4 and the then-BQM1. Weekday service, however, was more frequent.

IMO, the MTA should have service on the BM1-3 at 90 minute headways and the BM5 should be back to every 3 hours, with the QM15 also being every 3 hours to provide 90-minute headways on Woodhaven Boulevard.

They could take the Q22 to Beach 95th Street to transfer to the QM16/QM17 as well.

That's what some riders actually used to do, before the QM16 got extended to 147th... I brought that up in an older thread; don't remember which one though....

According to Google Transit, it takes about an hour to walk all the way from Beach 169th Street to Beach 227th Street, so that would be about 3 miles.

Like you said, there is a private bus line to the Q22/Q35 stop, but unfortunately, it doesn't stop at Beach 147th Street, so current riders who want express bus service have to make an extra transfer.

By the way, do you have a website for that private company?

For those that are interested, according to my calculations, the QM16 would have to get an additional 11 riders per day in order for the MTA to break even on this extension.

$15,500 per year = $66 per day (divide by 240 weekdays) = 11 riders per day

...and that (approximate) hour is for your avg. able-bodied person.

I don't know, maybe I'll be proven wrong as to how many breezy point riders (I think) will embark on the extended (B 169th) QM16...

One thing though, under no circumstance will they send those shuttle buses to neponsit (B 147th); and quite honestly I don't blame them... that fairly secluded/quiet area around 169th couldn't be anymore ideal FWIW, to them... As opposed to that Brooklyn bound Q35 stop on 148th (or 149th... it's past 147th, I know that much)... whoa ho, especially during the summer, for-freakin get about it... beach-goers (beach comers-from, I should say) bombard that stop.... Breezies will not wait in that for their shuttle bus... guaranteed....

Even when the Qm16 gets extended, them things are still gonna run to 169th anyway...

Nah, I don't have a website for ya, bro... and IMO, I don't think it's a private bus company, per say; those mini-buses resemble something some volunteer w/i the community decided to run for the benefit of the community... I'm trying to remember what's inscribed on the sides of those buses... can't remember at the moment... Sometimes they don't even be buses, they be vans.....

Now if there were a plethora of those folks wanting express bus service to manhattan, QM16's would've been sent over to 169th instead of 147th, back in 2007....

I won't get on you, regarding the numbers... but how you (want to) come to figuring all that out, I have to chuckle at... interesting, though.... 11 pax/day to break even on this latest extension...

again, we'll see how things pan out.....

That's what some riders actually used to do, before the QM16 got extended to 147th... I brought that up in an older thread; don't remember which one though....

I don't know, maybe I'll be proven wrong as to how many breezy point riders (I think) will embark on the extended (B 169th) QM16...

One thing though, under no circumstance will they send those shuttle buses to neponsit (B 147th); and quite honestly I don't blame them - when they got the Q22 & the Q35 there... that fairly secluded/quiet area around 169th couldn't be anymore ideal... As opposed to that Brooklyn bound Q35 stop on 148th... whoa ho, especially during the summer, for-freakin get about it... beach-goers bombard that stop.... Breezies will not wait in that for their shuttle bus... guaranteed....

Even when the Qm16 gets extended, them things are still gonna run to 169th anyway...

Nah, I don't have a website... and IMO, I don't think it's a private bus company, per say; those mini-buses resemble something some volunteer w/i the community decided to run for the benefit of the community... I'm trying to remember what's inscribed on the sides of those buses... can't remember at the moment... Sometimes they don't even be buses, they be vans.....

Now if there were a plethora of those folks wanting express bus service to manhattan, QM16's would've been sent over to 169th instead, of 147th, back in 2007....

I won't get on you, regarding the numbers... but how you (want to) come to figuring all that out, I have to chuckle at... interesting, though.... 11 pax/day to break even on this latest extension...

I see your point about why they don't go to Beach 147th Street, but after the QM16 gets extended, there wouldn't be any point in having those buses go any further than Beach 169th Street.

By the way, I think you mentioned the passengers transferring in this thread (the one that was made when this extension was first proposed): http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26585&highlight=Big+change

You mentioned it in posts 21 and 23, but you mentioned passengers transferring from the QM16, so I assumed that they would make the transfer in the opposite direction, going to work in the morning.

One thing though, under no circumstance will they send those shuttle buses to neponsit (B 147th); and quite honestly I don't blame them... that fairly secluded/quiet area around 169th couldn't be anymore ideal FWIW, to them... As opposed to that Brooklyn bound Q35 stop on 148th (or 149th... it's past 147th, I know that much)... whoa ho, especially during the summer, for-freakin get about it... beach-goers (beach comers-from, I should say) bombard that stop.... Breezies will not wait in that for their shuttle bus... guaranteed....

Nah, I don't have a website for ya, bro... and IMO, I don't think it's a private bus company, per say; those mini-buses resemble something some volunteer w/i the community decided to run for the benefit of the community... I'm trying to remember what's inscribed on the sides of those buses... can't remember at the moment... Sometimes they don't even be buses, they be vans.....

Now if there were a plethora of those folks wanting express bus service to manhattan, QM16's would've been sent over to 169th instead of 147th, back in 2007....

Blue Goose is the Breezy Point shuttle service.

The last weekday trip inbound and the first outbound trips are deleted.

The MTA may be overserving the BMs off peak, however. Under Command, it was 2 buses on the line on BM1-3 on Saturdays and 1 bus on the BM4 and the then-BQM1. Weekday service, however, was more frequent.

IMO, the MTA should have service on the BM1-3 at 90 minute headways and the BM5 should be back to every 3 hours, with the QM15 also being every 3 hours to provide 90-minute headways on Woodhaven Boulevard.

no one will use a bus thats every 3 hours!!!! they are too many alternatives and this is NYC not FARM TERRITORY!!!!!! what is this oceanride??? ocean county NJ has buses with 3 hour headways but in NYC no bus should run so infrequent!!!

I can't give out anymore dap right now, but I just wanted to c/s this post...

but yeah, to QJT...

The QM16 (and 17) makes two stops on Cross Bay blvd (159th, and I think that's 163rd)... and two stops w/i Broad Channel, before it hits the Rockaways...

The first stop on the QM16 in the Rockaways is over on B 95th... This is where impatient (lol) riders that don't wanna wait for the QM17, xfer to the EB Q22 at.... that happens quite often on the 16....

B. 147th is the terminal of the QM16, right around the corner from that Q35 stop.

Actually it's 163rd and 158th NB and 159th and 163rd SB on Cross Bay

why is blue goose even existing when Q22 can extend?? what is the point

Breezy Point pays for the shuttle service. It is probably a low mass vehicle that is cheap to operate and won't destroy the community streets. Remember, Breezy Point has privately owned streets.

Dammit, this sucks.... They cut out the 19:20 BM3 on Saturdays back to Midtown... Ugh... :mad: Luckily I checked because I have to go down today and was planning to take that bus back.

Actually they cut all of the last 19:00 runs on Saturdays towards Midtown on the BM1, BM2 and BM3... :mad:

They've cut the 22:20, the 21:20, the 20:20 and the 19:20 in the last few years on Saturdays on the BM3 and did the same for the BM1 and BM2 runs as well on Saturdays. Now I'm really going to write Mr. Golden. We need Southern Brooklyn service on Saturdays and Sundays restored on the X27 and X28 ASAP!! :mad:

Again you mind is made up but there is no need for X28 Sunday service. When you first joined Garibaldi 8 you agreed with that. If anything the only Brooklyn express buses needed if ever is maybe the X27 and BM1 and BM2.

The X27/28 on Sundays was a ghost town and waste of money.

I do agree that the last Midtown Bound BM1-3 should be around 9pm Monday-Saturdays. Between 800-1230am(Midnight) the BM1-3 should just be running every 90 minutes instead of every hour on Saturdays.

Nice to hear about the Qm16 extension. :tup:

why is blue goose even existing when Q22 can extend?? what is the point

aint extending the Q22 to Breezy point.... It's a private community....

Oh stop it...

You've been makin some foolish suggestions as of late on this forum....

- first, that cockamamy concoction of havin a route go from fordham rd/GC... over to co-op city... down to pelham bay park subway (6)... and down to country club up in the bronx...

- now with this wanting to throw 90 min. headways on the BM1-3, and throwing 3 hr headways on the BM5 and the QM15.... you know it's bad when QJtransitmaster is up here disagreeing with you.... Sounds like you have it out hard for Woodhaven riders....

Granted, I don't think QM15 should run as frequent as it does... I do think they get way too much peak service.... every 10-15 mins is overkill.... as for the BM5, off peak service can be killed (have off peak BM2's run from spring creek)... and peak service on the BM5 should run around every 20-30 mins, similar to what it does now....

not no damn every 3 hours....

....and I don't know what makes you think that'll equate to 90 min service on woodhaven; BM5 only makes a few stops on woodhaven, and the QM16/17 makes no stops on Woodhaven at all....

....and I don't know what makes you think that'll equate to 90 min service on woodhaven; BM5 only makes a few stops on woodhaven, and the QM16/17 makes no stops on Woodhaven at all....

Its like 3 stops...Jamaica Av, Metropolitan Av & Myrtle Av

It might also stop at Atlantic Av but I don't have a map in front of me (and my memory from riding it is a bit hazy). And it adds about 5 extra minutes to the entire trip.

As for extending the Q22...I hope you got some deep pockets and good connections with the (MTA)

Its like 3 stops...Jamaica Av, Metropolitan Av & Myrtle Av

It might also stop at Atlantic Av but I don't have a map in front of me (and my memory from riding it is a bit hazy). And it adds about 5 extra minutes to the entire trip.

As for extending the Q22...I hope you got some deep pockets and good connections with the (MTA)

Yep, that's it, just those 3 stops on Woodhaven.... and I THINK the BM5 has a stop on cross bay, before it makes the turn towards Brooklyn...

and nah, it doesn't stop at Atlantic... it uses that overpass just like the QM16/17 does...

only express that stops there is the QM15.

I was thinking of adding stop to New York Water Taxi's Rockaway branch to stop at Sheepshead Bay in both direction.

NYWT is falling apart. First the Hudson routes failed, then the Rockaway ferry ceased in July. Now the East River commuter ferry is to be given up to NY Waterway, who is planning a fare hike for the same day, April 30th.

NYWT is now just tours, sightseeing, and the IKEA ferry.

NYWT is falling apart. First the Hudson routes failed, then the Rockaway ferry ceased in July. Now the East River commuter ferry is to be given up to NY Waterway, who is planning a fare hike for the same day, April 30th.

NYWT is now just tours, sightseeing, and the IKEA ferry.

All of the ferries are struggling. NJ has one of the highest average incomes in the country and NY Waterway and BillyBey are positioned perfectly to serve the market. However, they are struggling too. Only SeaStreak is stable right now and they took a beating and a half in 2008. It is very difficult to run a ferry profitably. You have to service people who put a healthy premium on time.

Archived