QM16 extends to Beach 169th St April 18th

Far Rock Depot

If a Downtown Express route were to come out of either JFK or FR depots. I would've expected something like a Wall Street to South Ozone Park type route or to Far Rockaway. That would benefit a lot of people who have to deal with the (A) and the other surrounding lines.

It would be better if it went to far rockaway than ozone park.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be better if it went to far rockaway than ozone park.

How would that be better? That's two different groups of people traveling on the line and favoring one group is not a good idea....you'd also be looping the route and making it extra longer which is unnecessary....I'm talking about 2 separate routes, not one mega route that serves both areas. That would just be problematic. If they were made, they should be routed as the QM19 and QM20.

Like I said, you still have too many factors that come into play and I don't understand why they'd be meandering through the streets Brooklyn anyway as Jazumah suggested. That was sort of my issue. Also, what they could do is come up going by the Belt Pkwy, but that seems like way too much meandering as well. They still would have to be able to get over to the HOV lane on the Gowanus too, not to mention the traffic etc. on the Belt Pkwy. Going South of the FDR the traffic usually isn't that bad anyway, so they should just do what the QMs do now and use the LIE and go down via the FDR.

It is practically a straight shot. Easy Going Transportation (the last private bus line to try in 2006) did Fort Tilden to Downtown in 40-50 minutes via Flatbush Avenue. Try that on anything else but a ferry.

It is practically a straight shot. Easy Going Transportation (the last private bus line to try in 2006) did Fort Tilden to Downtown in 40-50 minutes via Flatbush Avenue. Try that on anything else but a ferry.

Coming from where though?? Flatbush Ave can be very congested.

Dependent on what time of the day those buses ran, Fort tilden to Downtown Brooklyn can be done in less than an hour, I don't doubt that....

If you're referring to lower manhattan from there in less than an hour, that I don't believe....

Please post your QM17 story...

Coming from where though?? Flatbush Ave can be very congested.

Flatbush Avenue geometry changes several times. Functionally, it is wide and fast up to Nostrand Junction all of the time, congested between Nostrand Junction and Empire Boulevard, and fairly fast between Empire Boulevard and 6 Avenue. 6 Avenue to the Manhattan Bridge is typically the worst section. Morning congestion is less except at Grand Army Plaza, where the congestion can be insane.

By cutting across on Avenue J, you save a ton of time. In the morning, the first two runs can get to lower Manhattan in 50 minutes or less without question.

Flatbush Avenue geometry changes several times. Functionally, it is wide and fast up to Nostrand Junction all of the time, congested between Nostrand Junction and Empire Boulevard, and fairly fast between Empire Boulevard and 6 Avenue. 6 Avenue to the Manhattan Bridge is typically the worst section. Morning congestion is less except at Grand Army Plaza, where the congestion can be insane.

By cutting across on Avenue J, you save a ton of time. In the morning, the first two runs can get to lower Manhattan in 50 minutes or less without question.

And where is it going after Ave J?? IMO 50 minutes is far too ambitious.

I wouldn't think of Avenue J as a street with little traffic. The bus would have to go through a shopping strip with tons of double parking. I'd rather stick to Woodhaven Blvd and LIE instead of Avenue J due to the double parking on Avenue J.

The buses that go that way (BM1) cut across Ave. K? That's less traffic.

Actually, if there were a sort of "back way" out of Mill Basin (like a bridge leading back to Flatbush), I would just extend that, since it's really close. But as it is now, it would be too far out of the way now to have to go across Ave. U, then enter the little Basin pocket, then come back out and continue.

I wouldn't think of Avenue J as a street with little traffic. The bus would have to go through a shopping strip with tons of double parking. I'd rather stick to Woodhaven Blvd and LIE instead of Avenue J due to the double parking on Avenue J.

In order to run to Downtown Manhattan from Roxbury, you would go across to Cross Bay Boulevard, then up to the LIE, then across to Midtown, then back Downtown? That isn't going to be shorter.

In order to run to Downtown Manhattan from Roxbury, you would go across to Cross Bay Boulevard, then up to the LIE, then across to Midtown, then back Downtown? That isn't going to be shorter.

I agree with the others. As someone who lived in Midwood near Ave J. for a few years, Ave. J gets its traffic as well, esp. since you have the (B6) and (B11) running along there. If it really needs to be rerouted into Brooklyn, Ave K would be a better choice over Ave. J. Why can't it just come over via Shore Pkwy?

what have I started!!!!!

I agree with the others. As someone who lived in Midwood near Ave J. for a few years, Ave. J gets its traffic as well, esp. since you have the (B6) and (B11) running along there. If it really needs to be rerouted into Brooklyn, Ave K would be a better choice over Ave. J. Why can't it just come over via Shore Pkwy?

Everybody here is worried about the traffic jams along the Belt Parkway.

What would be nice is if drivers were allowed to pick the route they want to take to Manhattan.

If they are driving along Flatbush Avenue after crossing the bridge, they could look down and see if the Belt Parkway has a lot of traffic. If it doesn't, they could take that to the BQE, and if it does, they could stay on Flatbush Avenue.

It isn't allowed to, although the passengers on the buses that use it now aren't saying much.

It isn't allowed to, although the passengers on the buses that use it now aren't saying much.

Why not??? By the way, I do see express buses on the Belt Pkwy or whatever that is by the Verrazano and I always wondered what buses those were?? Any idea where those express buses are heading??? :confused:

Managed to take the QM16 today....

Let's just say, it aint go to no B. 169th st....

...and I feel sorry for QM17 riders that had to take this bus..

(yes, QM17 riders... that's not a typo).

I'll post up, about this debacle, later...

Please post your QM17 story...

Thanks for the reminder....

What happened was, I got out from work just early enough to have an outside shot of catching that last QM16 run of the day (the run I always take whenever I take the QM16)... it's a bus that's set to arrive @ 38th/6th ~6:45pm...

I look at my watch, come up from the 35th/6th exit of the subway, turn the corner, and look down 6th... I see no exp. buses... I look up 6th, and I see a bus that looks like its approaching the 38th stop... I powerwalk, while maneuvering around the slow-walking... folk (putting it mildly), til I get b/w 36th & 37th, and I see the back of the bus showing the QM15....

I get to 38th, and that bus is 2 blocks up the road... no problem; relief, right... well, at first....

Until I see "another" QM15 (there's a reason I have it in quotes) pull up... I'm like wait a second, I know the 15 is overserved but come on....

What I'm thinking (which happened to me before on another occasion) is that, that first bus I saw signed as the 15, was actually that last f***in 16 run I was aiming for.... b/c there is no way in hell there can be THREE QM15's within a 10 minute span.... So I'm standing there pissed, but still hoping beyond hope that the 16 is just, late.... After 6:55, if I don't see a bus, I start walking over to 5th av to catch a BM bus.... which is exactly what I attempted to do....

But first, I thought about going to burger king, but I looked inside there, shit was crowded.... bump that... So I'm walking down 5th... reach 34th, and wtf do I see - A bus signed as the QM16... This was @ 7:07, and at the 5th/34th stop... I had to run across 5th av to catch this bus.... light turned green for 5th av, just beat it... So I get to boarding the bus... and the driver asks:

Do you want the 16 or the 17.... I say, the 16 (with an angry, but stupefied look on my face)... I don't want to misquote her, but she's like, okay but smile... since she wasn't snide about it, I just proceeded to the back of the bus & said nothin... I was still hot (pissed) though...

Then when we reached the 44th & [50th (or is it 51st, one of them)] stops, and I overhear her say "this is the 16 AND 17" (with a southern drawl to her voice)... at that point, I'm like holy shit... I hope this damn bus isn't gonna do the 17 route first.... that was all that was on my mind during most of the ride... didn't enjoy it like I normally do.... I was ready to get off at B 91st & xfer to the 53 or the 22 if that were the case....

... but once she made that slight right before it makes the turn onto rockaway bch blvd, that was (real) relief.... so she's doing the 16 first.... I'd say the bus was about 7-8 ppl. short of being SRO.... so I got off at B 116th, and called it a night....

that's exactly what I meant when I said what I did at the end of that (quoted) post of mine there.... to her credit though, we went from B 95th to 116th in, 4 minutes...

I had no clue that they actually COMBINE the 16/17.... something had to have happened for that to have taken place....

Thanks for the reminder....

What happened was, I got out from work just early enough to have an outside shot of catching that last QM16 run of the day (the run I always take whenever I take the QM16)... it's a bus that's set to arrive @ 38th/6th ~6:45pm...

I look at my watch, come up from the 35th/6th exit of the subway, turn the corner, and look down 6th... I see no exp. buses... I look up 6th, and I see a bus that looks like its approaching the 38th stop... I powerwalk, while maneuvering around the slow-walking... folk (putting it mildly), til I get b/w 36th & 37th, and I see the back of the bus showing the QM15....

I get to 38th, and that bus is 2 blocks up the road... no problem; relief, right... well, at first....

Until I see "another" QM15 (there's a reason I have it in quotes) pull up... I'm like wait a second, I know the 15 is overserved but come on....

What I'm thinking (which happened to me before on another occasion) is that, that first bus I saw signed as the 15, was actually that last f***in 16 run I was aiming for.... b/c there is no way in hell there can be THREE QM15's within a 10 minute span.... So I'm standing there pissed, but still hoping beyond hope that the 16 is just, late.... After 6:55, if I don't see a bus, I start walking over to 5th av to catch a BM bus.... which is exactly what I attempted to do....

But first, I thought about going to burger king, but I looked inside there, shit was crowded.... bump that... So I'm walking down 5th... reach 34th, and wtf do I see - A bus signed as the QM16... This was @ 7:07, and at the 5th/34th stop... I had to run across 5th av to catch this bus.... light turned green for 5th av, just beat it... So I get to boarding the bus... and the driver asks:

Do you want the 16 or the 17.... I say, the 16 (with an angry, but stupefied look on my face)... I don't want to misquote her, but she's like, okay but smile... since she wasn't snide about it, I just proceeded to the back of the bus & said nothin... I was still hot (pissed) though...

Then when we reached the 44th & [50th (or is it 51st, one of them)] stops, and I overhear her say "this is the 16 AND 17" (with a southern drawl to her voice)... at that point, I'm like holy shit... I hope this damn bus isn't gonna do the 17 route first.... that was all that was on my mind during most of the ride... didn't enjoy it like I normally do.... I was ready to get off at B 91st & xfer to the 53 or the 22 if that were the case....

... but once she made that slight right before it makes the turn onto rockaway bch blvd, that was (real) relief.... so she's doing the 16 first.... I'd say the bus was about 7-8 ppl. short of being SRO.... so I got off at B 116th, and called it a night....

that's exactly what I meant when I said what I did at the end of that (quoted) post of mine there.... to her credit though, we went from B 95th to 116th in, 4 minutes...

I had no clue that they actually COMBINE the 16/17.... something had to have happened for that to have taken place....

Did it come back as a 17? According to the schedule, there are no interlinings, but can someone with a run sheet for FR verify?

Archived