QM16 extends to Beach 169th St April 18th

Far Rock Depot

I think that's the big problem that folks don't understand about the express buses. Of course they are not subways and will not more the same amount of people as subways do, but they are structured to function like subways in terms of how quickly they get you from point A to point B.

^^ yup, and I'll give some examples... personal experience... multiple occasions on each; timeframe of years...

- x28 from Broadway/Broome to Mermaid/W. 17th = 50 mins to an hour

(N) from Canal st to Stillwell av = about 45 mins...

[i'll admit, the train does get you to CI from that vicinity quicker than the x28.... but it's not leaps & bounds faster as one might expect]

- BM2 from peck slip/pearl st to Flatbush/nostrand = about 40 mins.

(yes, that is a 5 min. walk from the Fulton st sta to the bus stop on Peck slip, but still)

- (2) from Fulton st to Flatbush av = about the same (40 mins)

[bM2 feels faster than the (2) b/w those two areas...

the (2) should be faster, but it absolutely crawls b/w Chambers st & Atlantic av]

-QM16 from 38th/6th to B 116th/rock. bch. blvd = about an hour

- (A) from 34th/8th to Broad Channel = about an hour... PLUS the shuttle from howard beach to B 116th = quick 10 min ride

(I used to do this before I discovered the QM16... hated every bit of it too)

[QM16 easily gets you b/w midtown manhattan to B 116th st quicker... don't even have to think, or give a 2nd thought about it]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup... after I (and 2 others) got off at 116th, that's when she changed the destination sign to that of the QM17....

What I left out was, I actually know (well, came to know) a commuter that takes the same run... we wait @ that same stop @ 38th at the same time.... but, he got on at the 44th st stop that day....

the day after, I asked him, did the bus ever go out to B 169th... he goes, no, what it did was do the loop, and went on beach channel drive.. I believe that, b/c that's what QM16's used to do when they ended @ B 147th, heading back towards the depot.... I asked him b/c he gets off at B 135th, walks over to 137th, and up to cronston...

So they didn't do the extension at all?

Instead, they basically recreate the old (H) roundrobin, but on the street?:tdown:

^^ yup, and I'll give some examples... personal experience... multiple occasions on each; timeframe of years...

- x28 from Broadway/Broome to Mermaid/W. 17th = 50 mins to an hour

(N) from Canal st to Stillwell av = about 45 mins...

[i'll admit, the train does get you to CI from that vicinity quicker than the x28.... but it's not leaps & bounds faster as one might expect]

- BM2 from peck slip/pearl st to Flatbush/nostrand = about 40 mins.

(yes, that is a 5 min. walk from the Fulton st sta to the bus stop on Peck slip, but still)

- (2) from Fulton st to Flatbush av = about the same (40 mins)

[bM2 feels faster than the (2) b/w those two areas...

the (2) should be faster, but it absolutely crawls b/w Chambers st & Atlantic av]

-QM16 from 38th/6th to B 116th/rock. bch. blvd = about an hour

- (A) from 34th/8th to Broad Channel = about an hour... PLUS the shuttle from howard beach to B 116th = quick 10 min ride

(I used to do this before I discovered the QM16... hated every bit of it too)

[QM16 easily gets you b/w midtown manhattan to B 116th st quicker... don't even have to think, or give a 2nd thought about it]

Checkmate hates to admit that the express bus functions in any way like a subway does, but it does in terms of speed. I won't even bother to compare the express bus to the subway-ferry-bus connection because the express bus wins by a mile, so let's compare some of my commutes w/the express bus vs the subway. My BM3 trips from Downtown to Sheepshead Bay for example on Saturdays... If I took the subway from Downtown once getting off on an X1 or X10, I would have to wait for the slow @ss (R) at Rector St (assuming there was no weekend construction) minimum of 10 minutes if not more. Then once it crawls over to Dekalb I have to get off an wait for the (Q) train. I've already wasted a good 30 minutes between the waiting, the commuting and the transfer. From Dekalb to Sheepshead Bay train station it is a minimum of 40 minutes maybe more, then I have to walk from the train station down to my barber by Emmons Ave and Sheepshead Bay Rd., so compare that with my BM3 commute. I get on around say 16:25 at the last stop or next to last stop and I'm at Emmons and Sheepshead Bay Rd. around 17:10 or 17:15 and I'm literally steps from my barber. Basically about a 45 minute commute compared to the subway at over an hour. Coming back, I'll make my stops in the neighborhood and get on at say Bedford and Ave X or around there say around 18:30 or so maybe later since the B/Os out of SC try to make sure that they get everyone. If we have no one getting off Downtown, we go straight to Midtown via the FDR and I'm at Park Ave South & 23rd in about 45 minutes.

In sum, express buses can be as quick if not quicker than subways. What irritates me w/Checkmate is he tries to maximize the cost factor of every form of transportation, especially the express bus because it is a more expensive form of transportation and he tries to compare it to the local and limited stop buses which are structured completely different and also cater to a completely different clientele. It's like trying to compare folks that sit in the economic section of the airplane versus business folks who sit in first class.

If the (MTA) really didn't want to have express buses, they would've had light rails and or subways put into the areas that don't have them and then there would be no need for express buses, but it is almost like he tries to blame and looks to cramp up express bus riders because their transportation is highly subsidized. That's not our fault. That's the (MTA)'s fault. Public transportation or not, no one wants to crushed in like sardines, be it a local bus or an express bus, simple as that and with the amount of money that we taxpayers put out to subsidize the system there is no reason why we should have to be packed in like sardines. I never hear him talking about REDUCTION OF ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF. He always looks to reduce service and punish the passenger, be it on the local bus, subway or express bus, which is just ridiculous. Without the passenger, there would be NO transportation system, but for some reason, he overlooks that every time, which really boggles my mind.

So they didn't do the extension at all?

Instead, they basically recreate the old (H) roundrobin, but on the street?:tdown:

lol... at the very least, that particular bus didn't....

btw, the QM16 sign of that bus I took, still read Neponsit B 147th...

even though the DOT updated the bus stops/poles to "Roxbury"...

I'll take it again sometime this week... to keep y'all updated... prolly tomorrow if I get out early enough...

only thing I gotta be a little wary of, are those huge ducks that frequent around that bus stop on B 169th....

Checkmate hates to admit that the express bus functions in any way like a subway does, but it does in terms of speed. I won't even bother to compare the express bus to the subway-ferry-bus connection because the express bus wins by a mile, so let's compare some of my commutes w/the express bus vs the subway. My BM3 trips from Downtown to Sheepshead Bay for example on Saturdays... If I took the subway from Downtown once getting off on an X1 or X10, I would have to wait for the slow @ss (R) at Rector St (assuming there was no weekend construction) minimum of 10 minutes if not more. Then once it crawls over to Dekalb I have to get off an wait for the (Q) train. I've already wasted a good 30 minutes between the waiting, the commuting and the transfer. From Dekalb to Sheepshead Bay train station it is a minimum of 40 minutes maybe more, then I have to walk from the train station down to my barber by Emmons Ave and Sheepshead Bay Rd., so compare that with my BM3 commute. I get on around say 16:25 at the last stop or next to last stop and I'm at Emmons and Sheepshead Bay Rd. around 17:10 or 17:15 and I'm literally steps from my barber. Basically about a 45 minute commute compared to the subway at over an hour. Coming back, I'll make my stops in the neighborhood and get on at say Bedford and Ave X or around there say around 18:30 or so maybe later since the B/Os out of SC try to make sure that they get everyone. If we have no one getting off Downtown, we go straight to Midtown via the FDR and I'm at Park Ave South & 23rd in about 45 minutes.

In sum, express buses can be as quick if not quicker than subways. What irritates me w/Checkmate is he tries to maximize the cost factor of every form of transportation, especially the express bus because it is a more expensive form of transportation and he tries to compare it to the local and limited stop buses which are structured completely different and also cater to a completely different clientele. It's like trying to compare folks that sit in the economic section of the airplane versus business folks who sit in first class.

If the (MTA) really didn't want to have express buses, they would've had light rails and or subways put into the areas that don't have them and then there would be no need for express buses, but it is almost like he tries to blame and looks to cramp up express bus riders because their transportation is highly subsidized. That's not our fault. That's the (MTA)'s fault. Public transportation or not, no one wants to crushed in like sardines, be it a local bus or an express bus, simple as that and with the amount of money that we taxpayers put out to subsidize the system there is no reason why we should have to be packed in like sardines. I never hear him talking about REDUCTION OF ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF. He always looks to reduce service and punish the passenger, be it on the local bus, subway or express bus, which is just ridiculous. Without the passenger, there would be NO transportation system, but for some reason, he overlooks that every time, which really boggles my mind.

While traveling between boroughs, it does function like a subway in terms of speed (unless its caught in a huge traffic jam). But once the bus gets into the outer boroughs, a well-used route will basically stop at every stop (and some of the traffic lights), whereas a subway stops roughly every 1/2 mile or so.

As far as the cost factor, the thing I'm against is the express buses that have a low farebox recovery ratio. If every route was cost-efficient like the X1, X10, or BxM7, I would have no qualms whatsoever with the express buses. That's why I've talked about ways in which they could become more cost-efficient: Intraborough travel being allowed, off-peak fares, etc.

The analogy comparing business-class travelers to coach travelers doesn't work. The analogy would work if the airline broke even on the coach travelers and lost money on the business class passenger (that, and I would say the difference is a little bit greater between the local and express bus riders). Naturally, the airline would try to find ways to get more money out of the business class passenger, wouldn't it?

As far as reducing administrative staff, you know I think it should be reduced, but that goes without saying, so I don't talk about it.

As far as express buses go, there are reasons why they didn't build subways or light rails in those areas, often related to NIMBYs in the area, or the fact that the area was so far out that they didn't feel a subway line would get ridership (as our population spreads out more, maybe they'll change that mentality)

And some of the best-performing express bus lines are in areas that are close to the subway. The BxM10 does alright (Bx21->(2)(5) ), and the BxM7 does alright (Bx23->(6)<6>), as well as the X27/X28 on weekdays.

While traveling between boroughs, it does function like a subway in terms of speed (unless its caught in a huge traffic jam). But once the bus gets into the outer boroughs, a well-used route will basically stop at every stop (and some of the traffic lights), whereas a subway stops roughly every 1/2 mile or so.

As far as the cost factor, the thing I'm against is the express buses that have a low farebox recovery ratio. If every route was cost-efficient like the X1, X10, or BxM7, I would have no qualms whatsoever with the express buses. That's why I've talked about ways in which they could become more cost-efficient: Intraborough travel being allowed, off-peak fares, etc.

The analogy comparing business-class travelers to coach travelers doesn't work. The analogy would work if the airline broke even on the coach travelers and lost money on the business class passenger (that, and I would say the difference is a little bit greater between the local and express bus riders). Naturally, the airline would try to find ways to get more money out of the business class passenger, wouldn't it?

As far as reducing administrative staff, you know I think it should be reduced, but that goes without saying, so I don't talk about it.

As far as express buses go, there are reasons why they didn't build subways or light rails in those areas, often related to NIMBYs in the area, or the fact that the area was so far out that they didn't feel a subway line would get ridership (as our population spreads out more, maybe they'll change that mentality)

And some of the best-performing express bus lines are in areas that are close to the subway. The BxM10 does alright (Bx21->(2)(5) ), and the BxM7 does alright (Bx23->(6)<6>), as well as the X27/X28 on weekdays.

What exactly is your definition of being "close to a subway"?? The X27 and X28 serve areas that are not exactly close to the subway or if they are, they'd be better off taking the express bus based on where they work at in proximity to the train. I'm assuming you're basing this solely by looking at maps, but if you had to walk from where the express bus runs to the subways, you would see that they are not all that close by.

And I don't see how you could use the X1 as an example of being cost-efficient, when if I recall correctly, you've complained about its rush hour costs being so high. Let's face it... The (MTA) could have light rails built or subways built and people would complain that they were too expensive, like they're complaining about the SAS now, yet w/the express bus they still b*tch that they're too expensive as well, so either way you can't satisfy folks because they would cry that it is favoritism one way or the other. Now I've heard people say the X90 isn't needed, yet they're b*tching about how expensive the SAS is and how the UES area is being catered to because they're getting a subway that quite frankly is needed.

As far as I'm concerned the (MTA) can't have it both ways... Either they build light rails or subways or they provide express bus service. They're providing a public service which is supposed to benefit everyone, including those in areas where there is a lack of public transit, otherwise they are just serving the needs of a few. Like I said before, for all of those who cry about how expensive the express bus is to subsidize, it is mainly those areas that I'm willing to bet give the most in terms of taxes to subsidize the system in general, so there has to be a compromise. The folks with local bus and subways in the more urban areas can't expect the more affluent areas to just cater to their needs and expect them to have nothing in return.

Furthermore, just because they build rails doesn't mean that the service becomes really cheap in terms of subsidies needed. MetroNorth and the LIRR are perfect examples of this and no one ever complains about how expensive those services are to subsidize, but yet they constantly knock the express bus. And I know you'll come back with the same old, "Oh but they move so many people"... Same sh*t just that it is on rails.

What exactly is your definition of being "close to a subway"?? The X27 and X28 serve areas that are not exactly close to the subway or if they are, they'd be better off taking the express bus based on where they work at in proximity to the train. I'm assuming you're basing this solely by looking at maps, but if you had to walk from where the express bus runs to the subways, you would see that they are not all that close by.

And I don't see how you could use the X1 as an example of being cost-efficient, when if I recall correctly, you've complained about its rush hour costs being so high. Let's face it... The (MTA) could have light rails built or subways built and people would complain that they were too expensive, like they're complaining about the SAS now, yet w/the express bus they still b*tch that they're too expensive as well, so either way you can't satisfy folks because they would cry that it is favoritism one way or the other. Now I've heard people say the X90 isn't needed, yet they're b*tching about how expensive the SAS is and how the UES area is being catered to because they're getting a subway that quite frankly is needed.

As far as I'm concerned the (MTA) can't have it both ways... Either they build light rails or subways or they provide express bus service. They're providing a public service which is supposed to benefit everyone, including those in areas where there is a lack of public transit, otherwise they are just serving the needs of a few. Like I said before, for all of those who cry about how expensive the express bus is to subsidize, it is mainly those areas that I'm willing to bet give the most in terms of taxes to subsidize the system in general, so there has to be a compromise. The folks with local bus and subways in the more urban areas can't expect the more affluent areas to just cater to their needs and expect them to have nothing in return.

Furthermore, just because they build rails doesn't mean that the service becomes really cheap in terms of subsidies needed. MetroNorth and the LIRR are perfect examples of this and no one ever complains about how expensive those services are to subsidize, but yet they constantly knock the express bus. And I know you'll come back with the same old, "Oh but they move so many people"... Same sh*t just that it is on rails.

Close doesn't have to be close walking distance-wise: Close is within a 10 minute local bus ride to the subway station (Co-Op City isn't within walking distance to the (6)<6>, but it is a short bus ride away)

And I think you're underestimating how long I'd be willing to walk. When the Brighton Line was closed between Brighton Beach and Coney Island, I thought nothing of walking about 1-1.5 miles to get to my destination (remember, I've never really liked taking buses, so I didn't want to take the B68)

And, yes, I've complained about the rush hour costs of the X1 being so high (though it wasn't that high: It was still below the system average), but I was referring to weekend service. The X27/X28 are efficient on weekdays, and the BxM7 and BxM10 are fairly efficient 7 days per week.

And people are b*tching about the SAS being expensive because they see the large upfront cost. They say "They're spending $17 billion for a subway because the UES is full of rich people". The general public doesn't have the same problems with express bus service.

People like us (us being the people on forums like these) see the large upfront cost of the SAS, but see the long-term savings it will bring (so we basically think long-term). Express buses cost a lot more to operate than a subway train (per person).

Like I said, a lot of the opposition (especially in the outer boroughs) isn't because of the cost: It is NIMBYs.

And as far as the MTA being about the needs of the many, it is actually the opposite of what you are saying: Running a bus that serves a couple of people is serving the needs of the few. Of course, I'm not the type of person to want to cut the one bus that serves an area, and leave whatever riders it has stranded, but I'm not the type of person to run buses every 5 minutes either.

And I don't think the LIRR and Metro-North are that expensive to operate. I think a lot of the costs are because of labor (conductors collecting tickets rather than having turnstiles or gates like the subway), and because certain areas don't have the ridership, yet they have to run a full train to serve the area, and maintain the infratructure.

If a commuter rail line were built to SI with a similar fare to the express bus, I think it would get high ridership and do better than the LIRR

Close doesn't have to be close walking distance-wise: Close is within a 10 minute local bus ride to the subway station (Co-Op City isn't within walking distance to the (6)<6>, but it is a short bus ride away)

And I think you're underestimating how long I'd be willing to walk. When the Brighton Line was closed between Brighton Beach and Coney Island, I thought nothing of walking about 1-1.5 miles to get to my destination (remember, I've never really liked taking buses, so I didn't want to take the B68)

And, yes, I've complained about the rush hour costs of the X1 being so high (though it wasn't that high: It was still below the system average), but I was referring to weekend service. The X27/X28 are efficient on weekdays, and the BxM7 and BxM10 are fairly efficient 7 days per week.

And people are b*tching about the SAS being expensive because they see the large upfront cost. They say "They're spending $17 billion for a subway because the UES is full of rich people". The general public doesn't have the same problems with express bus service.

People like us (us being the people on forums like these) see the large upfront cost of the SAS, but see the long-term savings it will bring (so we basically think long-term). Express buses cost a lot more to operate than a subway train (per person).

Like I said, a lot of the opposition (especially in the outer boroughs) isn't because of the cost: It is NIMBYs.

And as far as the MTA being about the needs of the many, it is actually the opposite of what you are saying: Running a bus that serves a couple of people is serving the needs of the few. Of course, I'm not the type of person to want to cut the one bus that serves an area, and leave whatever riders it has stranded, but I'm not the type of person to run buses every 5 minutes either.

And I don't think the LIRR and Metro-North are that expensive to operate. I think a lot of the costs are because of labor (conductors collecting tickets rather than having turnstiles or gates like the subway), and because certain areas don't have the ridership, yet they have to run a full train to serve the area, and maintain the infratructure.

If a commuter rail line were built to SI with a similar fare to the express bus, I think it would get high ridership and do better than the LIRR

Yeah, but it is still waste. I can re-call coming back from a networking dinner at the Oheka Castle back in 2009. I got car service to the Huntington Station and the car that I rode in was completely empty the entire ride. I had one person peak in (black guy I think) and then he went to another car since no one was in there but myself. He probably assumed I was a snob because I was dressed in a suit and tie and the look on my face didn't help I suppose. LOL

So based on your theory, it is okay to run entire commuter trains that carry only a few people because trains "move more people" and are supposedly cheaper to operate than express buses, right?? I don't see the difference quite frankly. Had I not had that train back to the city I would've been stranded. The same is often true w/express bus riders.

Yeah, but it is still waste. I can re-call coming back from a networking dinner at the Oheka Castle back in 2009. I got car service to the Huntington Station and the car that I rode in was completely empty the entire ride. I had one person peak in (black guy I think) and then he went to another car since no one was in there but myself. He probably assumed I was a snob because I was dressed in a suit and tie and the look on my face didn't help I suppose. LOL

So based on your theory, it is okay to run entire commuter trains that carry only a few people because trains "move more people" and are supposedly cheaper to operate than express buses, right?? I don't see the difference quite frankly. Had I not had that train back to the city I would've been stranded. The same is often true w/express bus riders.

Of course not. The train's advantage in moving more people disappears if there are no people to move. The LIRR would be better off running express buses to the nearest high-ridership LIRR line than to run a bunch of empty trains (and that doesn't leave people like yourself stranded). Even if they didn't charge a fare, they'd probably come out ahead by not running the train.

The thing about trains is that there is more infrastructure to maintain. You basically have to pay the same amount of money to maintain the tracks and stations regardless of how many trains you run, but like I said, that doesn't justify running empty trains when they could be bustituted.

With the boarding local express buses, how about non-SI expresses off-peak only? Those routes don't get much ridership anyway, it could be a test to boost it.

As I said before, this has nothing to do w/ridership. You are trying to compare an express bus to a local bus. They have completely different functions and they are not the same. Do you use express buses on a daily basis?? I doubt you do because if you did, you wouldn't even consider the idea. As I said to checkmate, the point of the express bus is to move as quickly as possible from stop to stop. That's why the DROP OFF ONLY is in place because it permits the bus to avoid having to deal with wasting time with the constant boarding of exiting of passengers. You will also notice that B/Os will often times drop off passengers at red lights where there isn't a physical stop so as to speed up the trip to get passengers home quicker or to work quicker. You would lose all of this with your proposal meaning a much commute that would no longer be as nearly as attractive as it is now.

The (MTA) created the express bus as a way to replace the subway and implemented these sorts of procedures so that the express bus could move as quickly as a train and in many cases, it is as fast as the subway, if not faster. However, it would slow significantly if it had to act like a local bus, which is basically what you're proposing and people are not going to pay the premium fare to ride a "local bus".

For my example of express bus:

This was went MetroCard introduce

BxM4C from Westchester County Center (White Plains) to Midtown takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes and MNRR Harlem Line takes about 40 to 50 minutes.

X23 experience from 59th St-Midtown to Huguenot was about 1 hour half to 2 hours (depends on traffic)

With subway (4)(5)+SIF+SIR

Almost two hours.

For my example of express bus:

This was went MetroCard introduce

BxM4C from Westchester County Center (White Plains) to Midtown takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes and MNRR Harlem Line takes about 40 to 50 minutes.

X23 experience from 59th St-Midtown to Huguenot was about 1 hour half to 2 hours (depends on traffic)

With subway (4)(5)+SIF+SIR

Almost two hours.

- BxMC4... not counting the 10 minute walk from central park av/tarrytown rd to the MNRR White Plains/TransCenter area, yup, that sounds about right....

- x23... wow... never been on an x23 that's taken 2 hours....

lol.... but yeh, the x23, 101 times out of 100, will beat the subway > ferry > (almost full route of the) SIR combo....

Oheka Castle is outrageous. Did some transportation gigs there. A completely different planet.

I loved that place... It was actually a fundraiser done for one of the local hospitals out there and one of my clients invited me figuring that I'd want to go for networking purposes. The ticket for the dinner was $400.00 a person. I got my boss to pay for it. lol But yeah aside from the networking I did, the food was amazing. They gave each of us a bottle of red wine from a local vineyard there on Long Island. I walked around the castle a bit on the main floor and hung out in one of the sitting rooms. I'll post some of my photos from the event that I took with my Blackberry on my member page shortly and put the links here. :cool:

Here are some photos from the event:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=377&pictureid=1377

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=377&pictureid=1376

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=377&pictureid=1373

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=377&pictureid=1374

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=377&pictureid=1375

:cool:

But that would be counterproductive in most cases since express buses are designed to use more highways to be more competitive with the automobile, not to mention faster than the local bus.

I can think of a couple ideas off the top of my head, but they mostly would NOT work during peak hours. And for a place like the Rockaways where the main highway is located in the middle, a combined route would mean a dogleg for certain passengers. If the bus went via Flatbush, it would work, but it would be too congested. But, for the Rockaways, a bus from B 169 to Midtown via Far Rockaway, Nassau Exy/Rockaway Bl, Van Wyck, and the LIE might work...

The only time it works is when the two routes are such that stops can be removed from one with minimal ridership loss and added from the other without adjusting the cardinal direction of travel... things like combining QM21 and x63, the BxM7 and BxM7A, the BxM10 and BxM6, or extending the offpeak QM5 to the towers and giving up on Union Tpk service.

I already suggested similar ideas and got SLAMMED!!!!! I suggested the BXM4 combine with 4C while eliminating the grand concourse segment and going via bronx river parkway and didnt get a friendly response. One the major deegan should be renamed MAJOR FAILWAY!!!!!! two the grand concourse has limited stop buses and a subway and there arent enough handicap ppl to even justify BXM4 as most ppl are on the D express or 4 train!!! also The combining idea I had was not direct merging but throughrouting via manhattan with spaced out stops to prevent open door slowdown!!!! then continue to another borough example: QM5 enters manhattan then makes drop offs till a certain point then leaves to SI as x1. most of the lines are fast but my plan DID NOT combine expresses with locals as that would cripple the whole rte.

I already suggested similar ideas and got SLAMMED!!!!! I suggested the BXM4 combine with 4C while eliminating the grand concourse segment and going via bronx river parkway and didnt get a friendly response. One the major deegan should be renamed MAJOR FAILWAY!!!!!! two the grand concourse has limited stop buses and a subway and there arent enough handicap ppl to even justify BXM4 as most ppl are on the D express or 4 train!!! also The combining idea I had was not direct merging but throughrouting via manhattan with spaced out stops to prevent open door slowdown!!!! then continue to another borough example: QM5 enters manhattan then makes drop offs till a certain point then leaves to SI as x1. most of the lines are fast but my plan DID NOT combine expresses with locals as that would cripple the whole rte.

I wonder why? Could it be all of the posts that you reply to w/CAPS??

didn't feel like being bothered walking to West 4th st yesterday, so I managed to catch a QM16 today.

Few things:

- QM16's still show Neponsit, B 147th street on the destination sign, however....

- QM16 DOES go to Roxbury, B. 169th street.

I was the only person at the stop (three people got off @ B 147th, which was odd to me), when all of a sudden 5 mins later, two Q22's back to back arrive.... one of them went on layover, the other turned into a Mott av bound Q22.... 2 mins. after that, my Q35, and ANOTHER Q22 pull up (don't know what that 3rd Q22 did, as I got on the Q35)...

gotta commend the b/o for driving in that fog... we made good time too (then again, it was only about 10 ppl on the bus)... I boarded @ 6:45pm (right on time) & got off exactly an hour later (7:45)...

- The story I told y'all last week... turns out Q101Steinway was on the right track....

I asked the b/o, when we got to B 147th, what happened to the 16 last week?

turns out, the wheelchair lift on the bus HE drove that day, malfunctioned... I told him how they combined the 16/17 & what not, and he goes, yeah, that's protocol if anything happens on either route.... learn something everyday....

so the bus I took last week was "technically" a QM17 (which I figured), that just happened to dropoff QM16 pax on the way first... no wonder no one on that bus was complaining/grunting/sighing, etc.... then again, the QM16 leg doesn't take long to complete anyway...

So there you have it, guys.

Archived