Long Time ABC soap opears "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" are cancelled

Shortline Bus

Soap Operas 'All My Children,' 'One Life to Live' Canceled After Decades on Air.

By AP and Fox News News wire reports

April 13, 2011

Legendary soap operas “One Life to Live” and “All My Children” have announced air dates for their final episodes.

“One Life to Live” will air its final episode in January of 2012 while “All My Children’s” will come in September of 2011, KABC reports.

On Thursday, ABC announced two new additions to daytime programming, which will most likely serve as replacements for the canceled programs.

“ABC is evolving the face of daytime television with the launch of two new shows, ‘The Chew,’ which will premiere in September 2011, and ‘The Revolution’ (working title), which will premiere in January 2012," ABC said in a statement to FOX411. "These new shows expand ABC Daytime’s focus to include more programming that is informative and authentic and centers on transformation, food and lifestyle – cornerstones of programming that resonate with daytime viewers as evidenced by the success of ‘The View’."

The news comes after a serious decline in ratings for soap operas in general. In 1970, there were 19 soaps on air. By 2000, there were just ten left. Today, six, including “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” remain.

On the air for 41 years, it was widely speculated that “All My Children” would be the first to go, with Deadline.com reporting last month that ratings had reached an all-time low.

Last month, an “AMC” writer told FOX411 “Everyone always says the writing is on the wall for soap operas to shut down, but this time the writing is in capital letters. We all hope we can get jobs in reality television.”

“I see the soap disappearing from the airwaves. It will become a thing of the past like dialed phones and radio serial dramas,” Jeff Danis, President of DPN Talent Agency in Beverly Hills told Fox 411. “Because of all the amazing new series programming that is available to the viewer, it just can’t compete.”

“All My Children” has been on air since 1970 and was once one of the most recorded shows on television and frequently took the number one slot in daytime. The show finished last among the six soaps the week of March 7, and brought in only 463,000 viewers in the key female 18 - 49 demographic.

"All My Children" may be finishing last, but times have become increasingly difficult for the entire genre, which got its start as dramatic serials for women sponsored by soap companies on the radio, to survive in today’s fragmented media landscape.

In the 1990s, the genre began to crumble with the ratings firestorm of the O.J. Simpson trial. The trial turned viewers away from the make-believe drama of soap operas to the real-life story that unfolded before their eyes. Unfortunately for daytime actors, they never went back.

Today, the soaps face a perfect storm of destructive forces.

There are more working woman than ever before. The ones who are staying home—young stay-at-home moms—are more likely than in years past to watch shows with their children. Soap ratings have also dropped due to competition from cable. And the number of original shows shown at all during daytime have dropped because of competition from syndication.

“The median age is rising and number of viewers are dropping. Slowly but surely the number of soap operas has been dropping even such enduring ones like ‘Guiding Light’ and ‘As the World Turns’—By the end of the decade in 2020 it could be at conceivable that there will be not one soap opera on network TV,” says television analyst Brad Adgate of Horizon Media."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/04/14/soap-operas-children-life-live-canceled-decades-air-report-says/

Good riddance!!!

Why lol? In sense they were the first 'reality' shows but with of course fake characters. Issues like Abortion, pre-martial sex the first Lesiban kiss scene on American TV and Erica Cane's 1,000 divorces was covered. Soaps did these topics years before then even before cutting edge prime time shows of the 1970's and later like "All in the Family' and 'Saturday Night Live' would have those topics.

meh, with the 'ADD' society of today, who has time to watch some long story arc that takes weeks to resolve? I'm surprised soaps are still around at all. Sad to say, but their time have come and gone. Not to mention most of the good ideas have been used up, what more can they use other than just putting their own spin to it?

meh, with the 'ADD' society of today, who has time to watch some long story arc that takes weeks to resolve? I'm surprised soaps are still around at all. Sad to say, but their time have come and gone. Not to mention most of the good ideas have been used up, what more can they use other than just putting their own spin to it?

Good point. Soap will soon join other old school tv formats such as cowboy/western shows and variety shows that will probably fade forever into TV history.

You gotta give credit though. Sheesh I think those shows are older than I am.

How about everyone on these boards including me the old man at NYCTF?:eek:

"General Hosptial' has been on TV since the early 1960's. "AMC" and "OLTL" going back to 1969 and '70 respectively.

Bro(B35) I don't get what you saying? How does Ice Cream related to soap opears? Am I missing the joke?:P

It doesn't relate to soap operas themselves...

It relates to the main audience of those who watch soap operas... i.e, women...

More specifically, the (idea of a) depressed woman on the couch piling on pounds by eating ice cream, wasting her life away watchin soap operas...

More specifically, the (idea of a) depressed woman on the couch piling on pounds by eating ice cream, wasting her life away watchin soap operas...

Oh ok:eek:. The same average i.e housewives or single woman who also watches Jerry Springer, Maury, Oprah and the mostly daytime crap.

Still for any show these days to last 40-plus years is an rare accomplishment that may never be seen again. Since the OJ trial in the mid-'90's, a story line for instance with General Hosptial's Luke Spencer saving the world and getting an alien from the TV series "V" pregant won't fly anymore.

Thank god for the internet: sums up what can take weeks to resolve in a paragraph or less. - applies to practically everything.

Lol, with Oprah leaving, that's another area that's gonna lose that audience crowd.

Thank god for the internet: sums up what can take weeks to resolve in a paragraph or less. - applies to practically everything.

That '1' thing I am surpsied the news/business media has not picked on that thought. Most of the soaps audience age 30 and under can go to many websites and get that the story plotlines. I am sure that part of the reason, scprited shows like dramas have also been fading away from tv as well.

For old time soap fans, that what was the appeal of it. Just like a WWE Wrestling plot can start and end weeks later. Yet I don't it's going off the air.

I used to watch All My Children and One Life To Live when I was in my pre-teens/teen days and I loved them. It's really sad to see them go. That was something I could never see happening, especially All My Children and Erica Kane. It's a sign to where TV is today, for better or worse, but its still sad to see an era as big as soaps come to an end the way that they are.

I used to watch All My Children and One Life To Live when I was in my pre-teens/teen days and I loved them. It's really sad to see them go. That was something I could never see happening, especially All My Children and Erica Kane. It's a sign to where TV is today, for better or worse, but its still sad to see an era as big as soaps come to an end the way that they are.

Agreed.....I watch All My Children faithfully.....sad to see it end after all these years. Good things must come to an end!

That '1' thing I am surpsied the news/business media has not picked on that thought. Most of the soaps audience age 30 and under can go to many websites and get that the story plotlines. I am sure that part of the reason, scprited shows like dramas have also been fading away from tv as well.

For old time soap fans, that what was the appeal of it. Just like a WWE Wrestling plot can start and end weeks later. Yet I don't it's going off the air.

Even thought it's scripted, WWE still has 'fights' and whatever staged stuff they have. That and given how many different types of shows are on at the same time, it's not going away.

Soaps is more just acting. Now you have comedy/dramas that does what soaps can do in a shorter amt of time as well as do some 'shock' crap like lesbian kissing etc.

Im not even going to lie.When my aunt was a soap opera junkie,I peeped a few episodes of "Loving", "Days of our lives",AMC,Y&TR etc.They were pretty interesting,but I have to agree certain storylines were very long winded and took half a season to reach a conclusion.But reality tv killed televison and as long as this dumbass generation loses its I.Q by the second,you can even kiss educational programs on the discovery channel and TLC.Sooner or later they are going to be reality shows on Lions cheating on each other and Hyenas robbing and stealing in the streets of Rowanda!!!! Good bye tv hello Youtube!!!

Archived