Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if anyone can tell me, I have my cdl class b with p and s endorsement.  and while i was taking classes for my cdl road test, i was told that I was pretty good for someone who doesnt drive.  Mind you I do security now and the pay sucks.  I am really looking forward to passing this 10 day training.  So I have heard it and read it before as long as you pay attention you should do well, but whats the average drop out rate or fail rate, I am hoping that im not in that catergory because I dont drive for a living.  should that be a problem for me?, wish I had more driving skills.  Some said that might be good as I would not have any bad driving habits but I wonder differently.  I start monday of jan on the 28, maybe some kind words of encouragement would do the trick? 

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by my classmates who had him that Supt Sharrocks is a fair man, I only knew him from the Admin day prior to training. Grand Av Depot? Hey, it's better than where I was in Queens Village. You will probably be taken to Spring Creek Depot on Flatlands Av in Brooklyn for the Simulator training.. But, Just wait til Day 4 where you have to work that RTS (which in my book stands for Rolling Ton of S**t) into really tight spaces and maneuver around the Subway Pillars (possibly on Westchester Av in the Bronx). Day 4 scared the ever-living s**t out of me. Days 5 & 6 are in Manhattan: heads up, just in case you have to make that turn from E 106 St and the FDR Drive Service Rd, Swing out early otherwise you'll have to back-up and if that happens, mounting the curb is inevitable. and the left turn from E 14 St to 4 Av in Union Sq is another pain in the A$$ WATCH OUT FOR DUMB SCHMUCKS ON BIKES and when you turn from Park Av South to E 26 st, swing out to right a bit so you dont mount curb (just a heads up from my mistakes)

I have to say, you're an upstanding citizen! :-)  Very knowledgable and willing to share so much valuable information that I'm taking in myself.    Just applied today for the MaBSTOA Exam 3101. Wondering what will be the next step and waiting time.  Also, Is there a writting exam we have to take for this?  I started to study the CDL driver's manual, pretty big book and lots of information to retaine... I'm serious about this and want to be part of this family badly.  Just very confused about the process and what they base on before making a decision to hire someone.   Your help and any information you can share would be greatly appreciates.  Thank you.

Well I completed my 10 day training and failed today so my journey has ended. I learned alot from my second instructor Superintendant Fallon on day 8 and 9(my day 1 thru 7 instructor was so so unfortunatley he was one of my day 10 instructors and it went downhill) I just did not execute at the right time on day 9 had it but in the end made an error which caused me to go to day ten, Anyway I wish all of my classmates who made it well. For the current and future classes take your time its alot of information and driving behavior changes (I never drove a bus before so it was a bit of a culture shock to learn in 6 days) but with the right trainer and execution you can do it. Good luck :D

Goose54 I'm sorry to hear you didn't pass. Could you tell us how you did  from day 1-10 what did you do wrong  if you don't  mind to share with us. Also did they tell you that you could come back after sometime.

Thanks

I dont think I was ever comfortable with my instructor day 1 thru 7. On day 2 I messed up a left acute turn. Day 3 was a clean day. Day 4 went through a yellow light (in MTA Yellow = Red). Day 5 I couldnt get the interlock to work but that was an odd day because as I was having that problem the air pressure went in the bus and we had to call the depot to send someone out to look at the bus. Day 6 back to the right turn problem. Day 7 I was told I would have to do day 8 and 9 before the day started because of my non error free day on day 6. Day 8 with the new instructor she helped me figure it out turns were perfect spacing speed lights everything. Day 9 started my test turns bus stops foward planning etc perfect. Had a hazzard in the right lane was setting up my turn looked back at the light to late and was in the crosswalk on a red light ended my day. Day 10 I saw my day 1 - 7 instructor and he was going to be one of the two instructors observing and the nerves etc all came back. It ended with me on a bad right turn mounting a curb. If I would have took care of business on day 9 and looked at the light before going into my turn I would have never been in my day 10 situation. As uncomforatable as I was with my day 1 thru 7 instructor it still came down to ME I didnt execute so I have to hold myself accountable. I hope this helped Good Luck to everyone

Ok well hang in there . Just don't give up not everyone is ready for the training it's not easy when you have someone standing on the steps and watching everything your doing and he or she has their hand on the Charlie brake. Plus you have to remember to call out things like 10 6 14 when going under a overpass. Well good luck and keep your head up.

Edited by RTS4Life

true but i never had the trolley pulled on me my problem was my right turn smh if i didnt shoot myself in the foot on day 9 i wouldnt have been in my day ten situation. as much as the two instructors rattled me (while driving my day 1 thru 7 instructor came from in back of the bus to inquire how was I doing and the instrutor in the front loudly said he didnt do this he didnt do that wait Ill talk to you about it later at that point I was a nervous wreck and a min later cut my turn early and mounted the curb) I put myself in the situation by not executing on day 9. Anyway Ill be ready next time for which ever training I get called for. Good luck to everyone

• 1 month later...

No worries I will be better prepared next time just wish i would have executed on day 9 truthfully thats what haunts me the most day 7 I wasnt ready and day 10 my confidence was at an alltime low once I saw my orginal instructor and then waited for 6 hrs for my turn. Day 9 was the day I just felt like I understood everything (spacing, setting up turns, speed, hazzards, you name it and it was during the blizzard lol) but as you know from my prior post I didnt execute. Im still going to get my CDL just so I wont have to do MTA's training then DMV next time. Before the training the biggest thing I drove was a SUV. I also havent been driving regularly since I sold my car 4 yrs ago (maybe 3 times a yr ) so the 40 feet of bus and realizing (this was the biggest thing to get through my head) I have more room on the front to go deeper into a turn opposed to a regular vehicle. Anyway i'll be ready next time for which ever training calls me first.

I heard from alot of people he is pretty good; as I said my day 1 thru 7 instructor wasnt bad but I just didnt connect with him on alot of things. I took notes I asked questions but it didnt make sense to me until I had Superintendant Fallon on day 8 and 9 then my problem was I didnt execute on day 9. Training will fly by for people like me I could have used 3-4 hrs a day behind the wheel for training instead of 35 - 65 min per day. Just execute and dont let your nerves get the best of you (that is what really killed me day 10 nerves and other things) and you will get through. What sucks now is waiting to be called again for one of three positions, as I ride the bus I am doing ALSAPS, remembering pivot points and just remembering everything that I was taught in training and realizing I did not make it through THIS TIME (I will not fail when the time comes again). Good Luck Igor

Well I completed my 10 day training and failed today so my journey has ended. I learned alot from my second instructor Superintendant Fallon on day 8 and 9(my day 1 thru 7 instructor was so so unfortunatley he was one of my day 10 instructors and it went downhill) I just did not execute at the right time on day 9 had it but in the end made an error which caused me to go to day ten, Anyway I wish all of my classmates who made it well. For the current and future classes take your time its alot of information and driving behavior changes (I never drove a bus before so it was a bit of a culture shock to learn in 6 days) but with the right trainer and execution you can do it. Good luck :D

Hey Goose the same thing happened to me back in November. Day 1 to 7 I was at JFK Depot with Sup. Siegal. On day 8 and 9 I was with Sup. Fallon at Casey, and did learned a lot from her. However on Day 9 I was doing alright until I hit a curb making a right turn. Was sent  to Day 10 with Sup. Siegal and Sup. Gonzalez same thing was doing alright until I did the same thing on Day 9. I told them I gave it all what I got, and I thank them for the opportunity. On the way back to Sup. Siegal told me that I did showed a lot of class and a lot of character, and wish me the best. Same thing 3 to 5 years for B/O. Already filled last month for Mabsota for B/O since the pay rate as the same as TA.

my instructer is santos at kingsbridge

I wish you best of luck! Stay focus out there.

I was at JFK as well. I can sit here and say the instructor this and the instructor that but in reality i didnt execute. I connected better with Fallon than Siegel she just made the training more human opposed to robotic if that makes any sense. From what i heard we started off with 70 trainees and 35 or 36 made it to line training. But I learned alot and cant wait to be called for any of the three lists im on for other positions plus I signed up for the MABSTOA list last month after I failed my training (just have to get back on that horse)

I was at JFK as well. I can sit here and say the instructor this and the instructor that but in reality i didnt execute. I connected better with Fallon than Siegel she just made the training more human opposed to robotic if that makes any sense. From what i heard we started off with 70 trainees and 35 or 36 made it to line training. But I learned alot and cant wait to be called for any of the three lists im on for other positions plus I signed up for the MABSTOA list last month after I failed my training (just have to get back on that horse)

I agree! I wish I would of have Fallon than Siegel, because it was more clear what she said. I heard Igor has Santos he's also good. My group started with about the same amount of people  for both TA and OA, but only 30 people made to line training. I learned a lot, and I hope in the future my time will come again, and same for you Goose.

Has anyone heard from Igor? Hope he's doing alright in training...he's been waiting for this opportunity to come for him.

i'm sure their on the road today. based on my own experience, the training is very tiring mentally than physically.

i`m ok it`s hard i did the el pellers my turns i need to work on

make sure you have that right side mirror perfectly setup and get used to seeing the rear tire and the curve when making your turns. if you're using the rts bus, which most likely is, don't hesitate to lean forward to get a good look at that right rear tire. plan ahead and spacing is very important. you'll have a better idea on day 6 if you'll make it in 7 days or will have to go extra days. good luck.