Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

VLAD!! YOU ARE THE BEST!!! THANK YOU FOR BEING SO DETAILED!!!! I GO FOR PROCESSING ON JULY 3! I AM EXCITED AND NERVOUS ALL AT THE SAME TIME. AS FUNNY AS IT MAY SOUND, THIS IS ONE OF MY DREAM JOBS. I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM GOING TO BE AN MTA BUS DRIVER!!!!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

First day on mta bus and i didnt do that bad. Did the whole ALSAPS thing. Almost ran over a curb though. I gotta watch my right side. Its really important to set up your mirrors. If your on a narrow road dont be afraid to take more than you what you would have in a regular car. I actually learned a lot and hope to put it to use. Doing S curves tomorrow.

First day on mta bus and i didnt do that bad. Did the whole ALSAPS thing. Almost ran over a curb though. I gotta watch my right side. Its really important to set up your mirrors. If your on a narrow road dont be afraid to take more than you what you would have in a regular car. I actually learned a lot and hope to put it to use. Doing S curves tomorrow.

Yes, it's very intimidating the first few times you drive the bus if you've never driven anything big before. You get used to it very quickly though.  Good luck.

Got my day 5 on monday and for anybody that is going to be called, be prepared to get yelled at especially if you have your CDL already. Im just trying to improve everyday, scanning my mirrors, and covering my right side.

What depot are u training out of?

I gotta go to day 9...im glad i get a new instructor.

Day 8 you will be on the same course you were on Day 7 in the Bronx. Day 9 you will be in Uptown Manhattan from Harlem down to 86th Street and back North.

Day 10 (if you go that far) will be another route in the Bronx, including the Highway.

The only thing about manhattan is that there are some tricky traffic lights...

For Day 9, you are on Central Park East for only a block or two max...you will primarily be driving along Lexington Avenue and either 1st or 2nd Avenue (whatever goes North - I don't recall). So you don't have to worry too much about the tricky traffic lights.

Also, one of the things I learned from Hernandez is to learn from each other...therefore, for Days 8 and 9, you and the other 3 students will most likely be driving on the same streets and the same route. (The only exception was that no one in my group on days 8 & 9 had the sheets, so we made a stop at Zerega for a few moments.) Therefore, especially for Day 9, I would observe the other students drive the route in order to get an idea or two on how to do certain things - like make a hook turn, service the bus stop, etc.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Realllllly important question can you guys please answer quick , okay so I can clearly see colors (traffic lights , signs ect) but when I take an online eye test and there are multiple shades of the same color I often struggle to see the image portrayed , will this hurt my chances of becoming a bus operator , I'm sure I can clearly see road signs and traffic lights pleaseeee help

Watsup guys... figured i post here... Was in the 6/29 class ...instructor was so so .. i felt very nervous with him nothing personal but just felt i wasnt being told how to correct what i was doing wrong esp with turns and such.. long story short like i said nerves took over and i ended messing up on the simplest stuff. After day 4  knowing i probably had no shot at maken it in 10 days i elected to resign knowing i could not come back for 3-5 yrs if i went the  entire 10 days and failed. I resigned for personal reasons in (UNDER 5 DAYS)  which gives me the oppurtunity get my name reinstated on the list and come back in as soon as i get reinstated. My plan is to get some lessons and get my cdl on my own  (at least i will have that out of the way ). Any body ever hear of this situation happening before as far as getting reinstated, i really hope i do get a chance at it again  

Watsup guys... figured i post here... Was in the 6/29 class ...instructor was so so .. i felt very nervous with him nothing personal but just felt i wasnt being told how to correct what i was doing wrong esp with turns and such.. long story short like i said nerves took over and i ended messing up on the simplest stuff. After day 4 knowing i probably had no shot at maken it in 10 days i elected to resign knowing i could not come back for 3-5 yrs if i went the entire 10 days and failed. I resigned for personal reasons in (UNDER 5 DAYS) which gives me the oppurtunity get my name reinstated on the list and come back in as soon as i get reinstated. My plan is to get some lessons and get my cdl on my own (at least i will have that out of the way ). Any body ever hear of this situation happening before as far as getting reinstated, i really hope i do get a chance at it again

Who told u that u could do that? That was smart.

superintendant that i had told me . as well as the lady at zerega when i resigned .. im very thankful he let me know about that option ...i could have finished it out and turned things around and maybe qualified but the way i was feeling that day i went right ahead with what i did

Watsup guys... figured i post here... Was in the 6/29 class ...instructor was so so .. i felt very nervous with him nothing personal but just felt i wasnt being told how to correct what i was doing wrong esp with turns and such.. long story short like i said nerves took over and i ended messing up on the simplest stuff. After day 4  knowing i probably had no shot at maken it in 10 days i elected to resign knowing i could not come back for 3-5 yrs if i went the  entire 10 days and failed. I resigned for personal reasons in (UNDER 5 DAYS)  which gives me the oppurtunity get my name reinstated on the list and come back in as soon as i get reinstated. My plan is to get some lessons and get my cdl on my own  (at least i will have that out of the way ). Any body ever hear of this situation happening before as far as getting reinstated, i really hope i do get a chance at it again  

Mind I ask who told you 3 to 5 years? Cause I went through the 10 day training session, failed and the lady at Zerega said I have to wait 5 years...just curious, that's all.