Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

Your more than welcome. I'm waiting patiently for medical and mentally preparing as well to begin training {Again}. I just wish I was aware of forums like this before my first time in so like you I'm taking full advantage of the plethora of information available. Right now I'm a sponge soaking it all in.

What have you learnt from you past experience?

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What have you learnt from you past experience?

My last experience processing for the B/O position was 5 yrs ago and it taught me a whole lot. For one it was a good example of teaching me how to become way more proactive in preparing myself with information and skills. I also had to deal with coming face to face with a fear I didn't know existed which in turn forced me to learn how to control my emotions. I was extremely nervous {to the point of physically trembling while waiting as my fellow co workers were having their turn behind the wheel, had stomach upset for a few days and most definitely tears days 8-10}

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't get over that hurdle fast enough. I allowed my fears to get the best of me instead of using them to challenge myself to get past it all and execute what was taught to me at my absolute best. Those are the greatest benefits I walked away with even though it honestly felt like someone had reached inside my chest and ripped my heart clean out when I had to turn in my pass and officially resign. I am greatful for the experience I now know what's expected of me and what challenges are ahead of me.

Skill wise I have learned how to be an even better listener and on my own have taken initiative to practice the things I've been taught. All the fear I had regarding opearating that RTS {I know they are way outdated but, that's what I was trained on} is long gone. I can and will walk into this

opportunity with no doubt or fears. I can begin training as a sponge ready to absorb all the instructors teach and prayerfully I will execute my way

well through training, graduation and that 365 big boy....probation!

Did you drive for MTA before

If that was for me I went through B/O training but didn't get past that.

I just fail on 6-17-13,that was day 10.I was support to pass on day 9,but i hit a curb.the training is one of the most intense experience of my life. At night before training I couldn't sleep, that was how intense it was.But I leave with a lot of experience.

I just fail on 6-17-13,that was day 10.I was support to pass on day 9,but i hit a curb.the training is one of the most intense experience of my life. At night before training I couldn't sleep, that was how intense it was.But I leave with a lot of experience.

Sorry to hear that Battob. I actually know how you feel I had the same experience a couple years ago. Don't worry you will get another opportunity and be way more prepared I'd you choose to take it. You will never look at a bus driver the same though and if you ride any you will find yourself going over what was taught in your head lol.

I never hit a curb or anything during training however, after coming to a full stop I eased off the breaks and inched up too far and my wheels touched the crosswalk that's an automatic failure especially on qualification day. My nerves we're shot from the beginning and were 10 x worse on day 10 when I found out i'd be driving with 2 infamously tough instructors. Like you I walked away with a new respect for bus drivers and lots of lessons & experience. Now if this medical appointment happens before summer's end i'd be in heaven.

I guess that maybe us, because that was were we doing our parallel parking. You got that right I have a lot of respect for b/o.I suppose to be call for another city job soon, with what I learn from mta Bus, I will take with me to this other job.I did my training in fresh pond depot. If you can drive there you can drive anywhere in the city trust me.

I guess that maybe us, because that was were we doing our parallel parking. You got that right I have a lot of respect for b/o.I suppose to be call for another city job soon, with what I learn from mta Bus, I will take with me to this other job.I did my training in fresh pond depot. If you can drive there you can drive anywhere in the city trust me.

What fails you automatically? So far we have hitting curbs and touch the cross walk. A buddy told me some guy did am extra day because he hesitated making a turn somewhere on st marks street in the city.

Bottob, wish you the best man. I know you waited a long time. Can you give us some dos and dont's as far as the training goes? What advise can you give? It would be nice to hear from you since you just went through the training.

Thanks

Edited by lawkev

You might have been one of the student's I saw over by sprint creek practicing parking and backing up if you saw a white school bus on the same block that was me practicing as well.

Does practicing with a school bus help with parking - backing - alley dock - ect...  ????

Does practicing with a school bus help with parking - backing - alley dock - ect...  ????

The training on the school bus does go over pre trip, parking, backing and all the other important techniques you need to operate a commercial bus with air brakes. I've never heard the term alley dock before even when I trained with MTA previously so I can't comment on that. However, I decided to take some CDL lessons and try to get my full license before training so I'd have less to worry about like last time. Most if not all schools conduct CDL training on school buses. I tried looking for one with charter buses and wasn't successful.

Training on half-a-million-dollar simulators and high standards are what Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials say have helped the city’s transit achieve the lowest rate of bus driver accidents anywhere in the country. That's according to a federal study from two years ago.

Stephen Vidal is the vice president of bus safety and training at the MTA. Back in 1998, he helped create the first 360-degree bus simulator.

“A new operator is no more likely to be involved in an accident than an experienced operator. Over time that has been a dramatic thing to see,” said Vidal.

Vidal said the program has saved the MTA money because fewer drivers have to be replaced and those on the road are safer.

Most enter the four-week program only having driven a car.

After passing the simulator training, students and their instructors take real buses on the roads.

About 80 percent of them, or about 1,000 a year, graduate.

Shamika Dottin’s road test is just days away.

“The training was tough,” said Dottin. “Pillars, keeping us four feet from cars, curbs, protecting our right side and looking out for the hazards, obstructions.”

Instructors say one of the hardest moves is learning to make a right turn without hitting anything with the tail end of the bus.

Vicky Jones started teaching at the training facility 15 years ago.

“I'm looking for one who comes in warm, ready to learn, very eager, very attentive, uses their book, listens to instructions and follows through,” said Dottin.

Those qualities can get drivers a starting pay of nearly $22 per hour plus benefits, something Jerry Figueroa is looking forward to.

“I want a future that I can have with my wife and children, retire at an early age,” said Figueroa.

A few students said they're after more than the money.

“I like being out with the public. I love it,” said Dottin.

And that attitude is priceless.

• rep_up.png
  •  
  • rep_down.png
  •  

Hey guys going in for my drug test in 180 Livingston can anyone tell me what come next and how long can I expect them to call me for training? Thanx

If they didn't give you the packet to fill out already and/or had you stay for your medical exam than you will be waiting for them to contact you to come in for that. Once your called for medical if all the paperwork is completed accurately and your medical goes well they will tell you the start date for your training class if one is available at that time. You will be sworn in, fingerprinted and you will take your photo for your ID. If not they will contact you with that information as well as when you'll come in for fingerprints etc.

Question: I am nearsighted and I wear contacts. I do have a pair of glasses that i never wear. I know that I must have the glasses in my possession during training but do I have to remove my contacts and wear the glasses for the training. I don't think so but need to make sure. Thanks

Question: I am nearsighted and I wear contacts. I do have a pair of glasses that i never wear. I know that I must have the glasses in my possession during training but do I have to remove my contacts and wear the glasses for the training. I don't think so but need to make sure. Thanks

No you won't be required to wear glasses only for bus training. I have prescription lenses and glasses which I carry as backup but, I trained only in my lenses.

Of course I'm sure you will or already do like most lens wearers: keep an extra pair of lenses with you as well as your glasses, you never know.

Edited by Syrenity

No you won't be required to wear glasses only for bus training. I have prescription lenses and glasses which I carry as backup but, I trained only in my lenses.

Of course I'm sure you will or already do like most lens wearers: keep an extra pair of lenses with you as well as your glasses, you never know.

Thanks for the response. That's what I thought.