Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

I hit a curb today and did everything else perfectly...I got an unsatisfactory  ;)   Oh well...but hey that was the only thing i did wrong and I know what I did to make that mistake.  I nailed every other turn, rights, lefts, hook turns, acutes.  So i know it was just a stupid error on my part.   :angry:    Will do better tomorrow for sure.  Not much more room for errors  :wacko:

Hey FlowerPower are you being paid while going threw training? 

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got satisfactory for day 3 and 4!!! Parallel parked well and el pillars went well but slow. sorry if you were caught in a training bus behind me I took my time... It looked like an MTA conga line behind me LOL! The my Sup. decided to throw me a curve ball and put me on the highway... after 3 days of telling me to slow down he yells at me "floor it, floor it!" (to smoothly enter the flow of traffic) I did well!

Same here. Did well on days three and four but I do have some CDL experience. It's true they don't care how much or what kind of experience you've had but my experience has helped me a great deal. I was a tractor trailer driver and recently got my bus license. I have no bus experience. It aint over till it's over. Next week is the week that really counts. Bring your A game, have on your game face and make it happen.

I had some trouble knowing when the bus was straight yesterday after setting up for parallel parking, after parallel parking and while serving the bus stop. Does anyone know a reference point or something that I could use to know when the bus is straight?

Thanks

I remember I had this issue when I was training with gryhound. How I over came the problem was by placing my spot mirrors on an angle that would show the position of the front wheels. Also I used the steering wheel to keep the the wheel straight while backingSent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I had some trouble knowing when the bus was straight yesterday after setting up for parallel parking, after parallel parking and while serving the bus stop. Does anyone know a reference point or something that I could use to know when the bus is straight?Thanks
Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I remember I had this issue when I was training with gryhound. How I over came the problem was by placing my spot mirrors on an angle that would show the position of the front wheels. Also I used the steering wheel to keep the the wheel straight while backing Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I agree it's all about that mirror placement and using that to gauge if your tail end is drifting further away or closer to the curb if you see either happening you gently counter steer to adjust. Since your backing slowly it is easier to correct. Hope that helps.

I don't mean on the straight back. I mean on the parallel park and servicing the bus stop. The is no counter steering there. The mirrors are set so you can see the pivot point which is the rear tires. That is how MTA wants it.

So what your telling me is that your not allowed to set the mirrors any other way only on the pivot or rear duals? Let me ask you this when backing are you able to see the sidewalk? I would say just before you see the sidewalk stay turning the wheel but you must watch your front side make sure you don't make contact with anything by the front door. If done correctly you should be able to align the bus along the sidewalk. I hope im making sense is actually an instinctual thing once you get it. I hope this helps

One last thing is to watch those that are doing well like your classmatespay close attention to the party your having most issues and count how many times the person steers the steering wheel hope that helps

If you want to know when your bus is straight. When you service a bus stop  look at front windshield you will see a trim in the middle of the 2 windshields. Slow down  line up the trim with the curb and look at #1 mirror which is your right side look at the rear of the bus used the top red marker light and line that up with a object like a street light. So when you see the marker light parallel to the object your bus is straight. If you don't understand. let me know.

What is the proper way to setup the right side mirror. I know I want to see the tire, some people say put a bottle next to it to help position it. But do Iwwant the rear tire on the left side top of the mirror or on the left side bottom of mirror?

In the right side mirror you should be able to see the right rear tire touching the floor and some traffic. The left mirror is used to see the left tire touching the floor and some traffic more or less. That is for the top mirrors and not the bottom convex mirrors. This info is in your manual.

Edited by lawkev

tomorrow is day 5 and I have to say I am a wreck about driving in manhattan tomorrow...just trying to get a grip.

anybody know where in manhattan they take us to drive? Also, Day 7, who does the qualifying, your instructor or someone else?  

Your instructor does. Usually down 14th street towards cooper's square.  some instructors may may have other routes. 

tomorrow is day 5 and I have to say I am a wreck about driving in manhattan tomorrow...just trying to get a grip.

anybody know where in manhattan they take us to drive? Also, Day 7, who does the qualifying, your instructor or someone else?

Go over the manual. Especially the part on turns. Go over any past comments your Sup has made about you.

Hope this helps

don't worry about manhattan. it shouldn't matter as long as you take your time, apply what you've learned, forward planning and again listen to your instructor. good luck and always watch your pivot wheel.

YOU WILL BE MAKING THIS TURN14THST_zps6f72e2c6.jpg

You don't want to do this when making this turn so remember to watch where you line up your front bumper. Watch the other side of the street for park cars.

Watch how this driver made the turn. he didn't line up his front bumper. If there were park cars or vans on the corner he would of never made it.