Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't too difficult but I was very nervous the hold time. As long as you use all the things you learned over the days you should be okay. Slow is the key, especially in Manhattan. Just have to watch those curbs, make sure you cover your right and my instructor big thing was forward planing. But I'm so happy everything went well. I have to be back a on Monday, I'm hoping for a depot in the Bronx since I do drive down from Poughkeepsie.

Do u start on Monday straker?

It wasn't too difficult but I was very nervous the hold time. As long as you use all the things you learned over the days you should be okay. Slow is the key, especially in Manhattan. Just have to watch those curbs, make sure you cover your right and my instructor big thing was forward planing. But I'm so happy everything went well. I have to be back a on Monday, I'm hoping for a depot in the Bronx since I do drive down from Poughkeepsie.

I start on Monday may 9th, I know the mirrors are extremely important, what was your instructors name and did you qualify in day 7?

Congrats on a job well done, and welcome to the family brother.

Thanks man! Its been a long process, I never went through anything like this for a job before, but hopefully the last process I have to go through. And yeah I did have to wait until day 9 to qualify, the instructor thought that an extra day of training would be good since I hit a curb on both day 5 and 6. You must always use those mirrors. But I'm freakin' excited. The hold thing from the time I got the notice in the mail to now has been so crazy that when the instructor said that he is going to qualify me It really took time for it to all sink in.

Thanks man! Its been a long process, I never went through anything like this for a job before, but hopefully the last process I have to go through. And yeah I did have to wait until day 9 to qualify, the instructor thought that an extra day of training would be good since I hit a curb on both day 5 and 6. You must always use those mirrors. But I'm freakin' excited. The hold thing from the time I got the notice in the mail to now has been so crazy that when the instructor said that he is going to qualify me It really took time for it to all sink in.

I hope so too. This is definitely a job you can make a career out of and retire with a good pension. You've gotten through the first hurdle of getting past day 7, now it's time to get past year 1 and the "P" for probationer moved from in front of your name.

Thanks man! Its been a long process, I never went through anything like this for a job before, but hopefully the last process I have to go through. And yeah I did have to wait until day 9 to qualify, the instructor thought that an extra day of training would be good since I hit a curb on both day 5 and 6. You must always use those mirrors. But I'm freakin' excited. The hold thing from the time I got the notice in the mail to now has been so crazy that when the instructor said that he is going to qualify me It really took time for it to all sink in.[/

It all paid off brother, that's the definition for hard work, I guess now you just gotta past your road test and your 100% stay positive all the time, congrates I'm just curious though you mentioned you hit curbs on day 5 & 6 did your instructor give you chance to qualify on day 7 & 8 or did you practice those 2 days and just went to day 9 ?

Are you going for training and want to know what goes on from day 1-10 just ask. And good luck to all

Hey RTS4life I have a question for you, I was reading what jaydubs quoted that he hit curbs on day 5 and on day 6 so he mentioned that he had to wait for day 9 so does that mean he didnt get the opportunity to qualify on day 7 or did they just tell him he has to practice more then he'll go to day 9 ?

straker211,

It sounds like he wasn't ready for day 7. He went on for one more day of training. well he made it. and good luck to all. when making a turn keep about 4ft away from park cars. Before making a turn plan it in your head line up the hand rail or your bumper.watch your rear. don't give any gas when making a turn. If your making a left turn and their is 3 lanes take the 2nd left lane so you have more space to make a turn.

Yeah I wasn't ready for day 7 due to the curbs I hit on day 5 and 6, but I qualified. I Should find out what depot I'm going to tomorrow and start line training on by friday. Does anyone know anything about Gun Hill or West Farms depots?

congrats jaydubs!!!!!iam going on day 3 tomorrow of training.iam not going to lie i found the driving pretty easy so far.foward planning is important,keeping 4 feet away from the cars on right side is important and protecting your right side.i had problem adjusting my mirror but once i found my pivot i was good.3-5 miles on the turns and it cake!!!will keep you gus posted so far iam enjoying myself

Yeah I wasn't ready for day 7 due to the curbs I hit on day 5 and 6, but I qualified. I Should find out what depot I'm going to tomorrow and start line training on by friday. Does anyone know anything about Gun Hill or West Farms depots?

The good thing about the west farms depot is that it's fairly new and there's Alot of artic buses meaning the double buses, the west farms depot is known as the ghetto depot meaning all of the bus lines are ghetto for example the Bx 6, Bx15, Bx17, Bx26 and so on these buses run through Yankee stadium, the west side of upper manhattan, overall I've heard the gun hill depot is much nicer because the bus lines are better and if not mistaken gun hill depot as hybrid busses the west farms depot has no hybrids at all only artic's, Orion, Cng, so if I had to pick I would go with gun hill, have you driven the hybrids yet ?

Cool, great that u guys had good day 1's, and thanks for the info between West farms and Gun Hill, I picked Gun Hill and start line training tomorrow. I was checking the bus map, the routes out of gun hill definitely seem better than west farm. It seems that I made the right choice! AWESOME!!

Hey Big Congrats To u jaydubs i see u change your logo to the depot sign, brought some excitement to me seein that i could imagine how u feel bro thats wats up Congrats once again ....good 2 hear sum1 hired from the same list im on...how many people was in your class @ zerega do u remember??

Now i do believe that there were some people in my class from a different exam but not many. Most came from the 8006 exam. And regarding the other class I'm not sure but I would assume that most of them are from 8006 also.

Thanks 4 the info jay reason i ask bout the other class was because i heard something bout a class started on monday for exam 2901 i think or 2801 idk one of those ....but i jus figured that all the classes is by exams , but guess i was wrong seems like the mix classes up with different exams.....thanks anyway...best of luck @ gun hill

Now i do believe that there were some people in my class from a different exam but not many. Most came from the 8006 exam. And regarding the other class I'm not sure but I would assume that most of them are from 8006 also.

Good move Jay dubs. Just stay away from the bx12 like it's the plague lol. Try to get the bx22, 28,38 or 30. And did you ever get a answer for that call you got yesterday?

Thanks for the tip, the plague, well that sounds pretty bad. i'll make sure to stay away from that. yeah i did get an answer, I sent u a message.

Yeah cuz the bx12 goes through the ass end of the Bronx Fordham road. It goes down Pelham which is nice but in the summer months it goes out to Orchard beach, and your gonna be dealing with loud crowded buses full of people that smell of nasty beach water and beer, blasting loud music.