Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I once loved the RTS, I wish they would put us on an Orion or a Hybrid which are both easier to handle than an RTS (as my instructing operators referred to it as "RTS" being an abbreviation for "Rolling Ton of S**t"

btw, I just called my depot crew dispatcher... and he told me to report to Zerega at 08:00 tomorrow morning

Edited by MaBSTOARTS

I PASSED MY DMV TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder what happens now.

Congratulation... Welcome to the bus operator's family!

As for what happens now, they should have told you!

Usually you would finish line training, then be on your

own, on the upcoming Sunday!!

Enjoy being off on the Saturday after your training is done.

You won't be seeing weekends off for a while... LOL

Congrats again!!

PS. Do everything how they taught you, for the next year.

You are and will be on probation for at least a year and

they will be watching you.

I PASSED MY DMV TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder what happens now.

You call your depot for tomorrow's assignment and continue line training until your graduation day when you'll be going back to Zerega to hang out with the rest of your classmates with a few more talks from Superintendents, then mostly chillin. Once you graduate, the next day you're on your own. Your graduation day should be on a Wednesday, and that Thursday should be your first day alone.

You call your depot for tomorrow's assignment and continue line training until your graduation day when you'll be going back to Zerega to hang out with the rest of your classmates with a few more talks from Superintendents, then mostly chillin. Once you graduate, the next day you're on your own. Your graduation day should be on a Wednesday, and that Thursday should be your first day alone.

I was told that Monday & Tuesday (4/30 & 5/1) are Artic Training Days, What pointers can be given on that subject??

Don't be intimidated by the size the Artic's are great buses (my favorite) when making turns you will have to learn to trust the second half its not like a full blown tractor trailer. These buses run on a tracking system with an anti-jacknife feature which will prevent the trailer from swinging uncontrollably. Going in reverse is rather tricky I still don't quite have the hang of it like a pro as it requires you to counter steer. I personally like the New Flyer D60hf's ("old" artic) more than the NovaBus LFSA but that's just my personal opinion.

you will come to find that the 7-10 day training course was a lot more strict and harder than the DMV road test. As mentioned above you will be using an RTS...

REMEMBER

you must do your ALSAPS in its entirety unless otherwise instructed. Don't fall for the game they play ...for example let's say you have done your Air leakage and Low Air Warning test the examiner may tell you, "ok, good let's go" DON'T move that bus just yet tell them that you still have 4 more test to conduct if after you say that and they say something like "nah it's ok let's go" then you go. Another thing...while doing your pre-trip inspection know what your talking about don't say things like "oh, this thing here is secure" tell them, "Radiator access door is clear of debris and is properly mounted and secured"

You dont realy need to call out or even know whats behind each pannel. If you will say the panel is secured you will be alright. Dont stress your self with different panel names ( radiator, transmission, battery and others )

50 ft brake test must be done, no matter if instructor told you skip the rest of ASAPS

Hey guys! I'm on the list for exam #8006. I already have my CDL Class B with Tank/Passenger endorsement for 4 years. Took the course with a driving school and the road test in the Bronx with a school bus. I haven't been behind a wheel of a commercial vehicle since the date of the road test. I called a few days ago to the HR dept. and my list# is getting close hopefully soon...Since I already have the CDL I just have to pass the MTA road if I'm correct? Plz let me know guys...

Hey guys! I'm on the list for exam #8006. I already have my CDL Class B with Tank/Passenger endorsement for 4 years. Took the course with a driving school and the road test in the Bronx with a school bus. I haven't been behind a wheel of a commercial vehicle since the date of the road test. I called a few days ago to the HR dept. and my list# is getting close hopefully soon...Since I already have the CDL I just have to pass the MTA road if I'm correct? Plz let me know guys...

Yes, you only have to worry about mta trainning. And pass on the 7 day that's your goal.

That depends, do you have the air brake endorsement? I ask because a lot of school buses use hydryaulic brakes and if that's the kind you took your road test with then your not qualified to drive a bus with air and you will have to retake the CDL road test.

• 1 month later...

Here's a few key points to remember: Mirrors: Here's how to set your mirrors..... LEFT: you need to see just the surface of the bus and behind/to the left of you. RIGHT: Center Marker Light should be in the LOWER LEFT-HAND CORNER. They want you to have your head "on a swivel" (continuously scanning your mirrors) when they tell you to "service the bus stop" pull as close as you can to the curb and keep your bus straight (unobstructed bus stops) or pull parallel to the stop if it's a "blocked bus stop" but ALWAYS- I repeat ALWAYS COVER YOUR RIGHT. ALWAYS LOOK BEFORE you move that bus. Remember- 4 feet of clearance on your right so in case some dumb schmuck opens up their car door, you don't take it off. Remember- when setting up turns: **RIGHT** pole right behind front door to the curb (or to the outer mark of a parked car). **LEFT** shoulder to the Double Yellow Line. also. if space is limited on a right turn you can use the "S-Hook" method.. steer your front left away from the curb and when your left bumper touches the Double Yellow Line, you work into your right turn. Another point: You MUST CALL OUT EVERYTHING you see (ie: School Crossing, Biker (left or right), car approaching / stopped (L or R), Pedestrian (where ever they are), Underpass (You would say " ** if not marked** is 14' or greater, THIS BUS is 10'6. We have clearance" or call out what it's clearance is)