Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While their training most likely differs in numerous ways nj transit taught me to shoulder the corner meaning pull up until the corner is even with my shoulder then begin your turn and if there is a car parked on the corner to shoulder the street side of the car so far it has never failed me on tho there are always those streets where you gotta steal a lil of your left to make it p.s. just want to make it clear Im just sharing how I was taught reference points plz do not take it as how to make your right turn

Edited by IronboundNJT

I didn't qualify, on day 10. But I get some experience that I will take with me to my other city job .the training is so intense. I am advicing all you guys out there, don't give up your regular job, until you are sure you get this job.

What is a wrap around bus stop? When pulling out of a bus stop and merging into traffic do you take an aggressive or passive approach to it? I know you have to wait for a gap but most drivers don't want to get stuck behind a bus. Thanks RTS4LIFE.

This is a good question that was asked a while back and got no answer.

I was approved on the medical and took a second drug test on Monday. I was told there is a class in July but I have not been fingerprinted yet. I assume they are waiting for my lab results. How many hours can one expect to spend in training during the first 7 to 10 days?

Thanks 

I was approved on the medical and took a second drug test on Monday. I was told there is a class in July but I have not been fingerprinted yet. I assume they are waiting for my lab results. How many hours can one expect to spend in training during the first 7 to 10 days?

Thanks

First of all CONGRATS! Yes they will wait to see if your second test is successful as well. I remember having to retest also. As far as training goes they are 8 hour days I went through training a few yrs ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed.

Thanks,

There is a written 19-A test the first day at Zerega. Can I study the DMV manual for that test?

Your welcome.

From my experience the 19-A was not given the first day at Zerega. To my knowledge it is given after you qualify on either day 7 or 10 for your DMV road test {whichever day applies to you} given the fact you pass said road test. I was told it's an open book test even though it's years later I'm 90% positive about that {90% only because I didn't qualify for my road test so, I can't confirm anything beyond day 10}. However, I'm sure that somewhere on this site you can get that 100% clarity you need on whether there is a study guide available or if it is in fact an actual open book test.

Your welcome.

From my experience the 19-A was not given the first day at Zerega. To my knowledge it is given after you qualify on either day 7 or 10 for your DMV road test {whichever day applies to you} given the fact you pass said road test. I was told it's an open book test even though it's years later I'm 90% positive about that {90% only because I didn't qualify for my road test so, I can't confirm anything beyond day 10}. However, I'm sure that somewhere on this site you can get that 100% clarity you need on whether there is a study guide available or if it is in fact an actual open book test.

Yes, someone did state that it was open book and after the DMV test. In my case after day 7-10. I was confirming because my buddy told me different. Maybe he was bugging out. 

Do they test you on the pre-trip to see what you know or do they instruct you first?

Thanks

Edited by lawkev

Yes, someone did state that it was open book and after the DMV test. In my case after day 7-10. I was confirming because my buddy told me different. Maybe he was bugging out. 

Do they test you on the pre-trip to see what you know or do they instruct you first?

Thanks

They don't care what was taught or known previously the only thing that matters is what is being taught at the moment and if your learning how to operate that vehicle the MTA way. Training begins day 1 at Zerega and with hands on instruction starting Day 2 {once you arrive at your randomly selected depot} They absolutely test and evaluate your knowledge and progress DAILY on ALSAPS/ pre- trip, bus stops, turns, backing up, parking basically.... EVERYTHING!!!! Everyone in your group will get the same level of training "The MTA way" it doesn't matter if you've been driving trucks or buses for years or if it's your very 1st time behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle.

Thank You

Your more than welcome. I'm waiting patiently for medical and mentally preparing as well to begin training {Again}. I just wish I was aware of forums like this before my first time in so like you I'm taking full advantage of the plethora of information available. Right now I'm a sponge soaking it all in.