Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

Since when did they start qualifications on day 9?  I thought there were only day 7 & day 10 qualifications. This is brand new news to me.

I don't know when they started it but I am glad for it - a day 9 qualification means you still get 2 chances for the DMV road test - day 10 qualification only gets you one shot with DMV.  So I WANT to be sure to qualify tomorrow so I can get my 2 shots for the road test if I need them both.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone. I was wondering does the dmv examiner come out to test trainees that just qualified from the MTA training at the depot or do u have to go to them at the dmv testing site? I'm pretty new to this forum but I'm very pleased and thankful 4 all the help and feedback the pros and rooks r giving back.. I just finished and qualified from the medical procedure on the 24th. I'm from test exam #8094 C/O and my list # is 29**. I'd like to also wish everyone the best of luck as I wait for the call back from 180 for the final process.. Thank you!

Hello everyone. I was wondering does the dmv examiner come out to test trainees that just qualified from the MTA training at the depot or do u have to go to them at the dmv testing site? I'm pretty new to this forum but I'm very pleased and thankful 4 all the help and feedback the pros and rooks r giving back.. I just finished and qualified from the medical procedure on the 24th. I'm from test exam #8094 C/O and my list # is 29**. I

I qualified today thank god. Have ti be at zerega 9am mon...only one from my group qualified day 7, us three today. How did everyone else do?

Congrats and best of luck to u for ur DMV road test. What did they tell u about the procedure for getting ur CDL exam done? How does that work? Does the DMV examiner come to the depot or do u have to go to them? Does the MTA provide the bus for it? Sorry for all the Qs. Is it also true that they give u 2 shots at DMV road exam if u qualify on day 9?

flower didn't you come from the cr list and they gave you a chance to cross to b/o?

I qualified today thank god. Have ti be at zerega 9am mon...only one from my group qualified day 7, us three today. How did everyone else do?

where did you train at(what depot) and who was your super?

I'm going to day ten. How does that work? Is it harder to qualify on that day?

good luck - you'll get it 

flower didn't you come from the cr list and they gave you a chance to cross to b/o?

where did you train at(what depot) and who was your super?

Yes, I was on the conductors list Exam # 8094 - took the test back in dec. 2008 - the MTA sent me a letter re: b/o in march 2013 and I qualified for bus operator training today!!  My list number was 163x

Any info or response would greatly be appreciated on how it works when u pass training and then to get ur CDL. Thank you  ^_^

From what I understand, after you pass training on day 7 or 9, you have 2 chances for the road test.  If you should go to day 10 then you only have one chance.

After "qualifying" on day 7, 9 or 10, you go back to Zerega for what they call RTS training (which is just the older bus) for a few days.  

Then you have a pick where  your class mates pick what depots they are going to and then when you go to that depot, you start your line training.  

Line training is learning all the lines the bus depots service.  While you are doing your 4 weeks of line training, Zerega sets up the road test for you.  You are pulled off of line training for the day before your road test date and you report back to zerega to do road test training and then report to zerega the next day for your road test.  The Dmv does the road test out there - I am not sure if it's only for MTA or that's just their site for the bronx.  

So basically your road test could be at any point during the four weeks from qualifying to finishing line training.

Thank you Flowerpower for clearing that up for me. The reason I was concerned is cause I thought it was right after u got qualified that u go

and take the road exam right away(DMV). So now I at least know not to worry about going to a driving school and spending time and money 

that I don't have to get lessons and wait the same amount of time to get an appointment for the road test. It's also great cause u get to drive 

and maneuver the bus for at least 4 more weeks till ur road exam(DMV). Thanks again and Congrats to u and best of luck all the way through

ur 1yr probation. :)

I'm going to day ten. How does that work? Is it harder to qualify on that day?

Good luck Lawkev, I believe that on day 10 you will go out driving with 2 instructors on your bus.  I don't know what they are looking for though.  Just don't hit a curb, run a yellow/red light and don't make any wide turns, you should be ok.

From what I understand, after you pass training on day 7 or 9, you have 2 chances for the road test.  If you should go to day 10 then you only have one chance.

After "qualifying" on day 7, 9 or 10, you go back to Zerega for what they call RTS training (which is just the older bus) for a few days.  

2 years ago we used the RTS throughout the training and only trained on the hybrid after we qualified. i fined driving the hybrids a lot easier because of the mirrors but the rear hangs out more than the RTS.

congrats and good luck on the road test.

My most sincere congratulations to everyone who qualified this week. Best of luck to those of you beginning training on Monday stay focused and even though it will be challenging.....try your best to relax and execute. I hope to be joining you all on the road in the week's to come. Again Congrats!!!!

Edited by Syrenity

My most sincere congratulations to everyone who qualified this week. Best of luck to those of you beginning training on Monday stay focused and even though it will be challenging.....try your best to relax and execute. I hope to be joining you all on the road in the week's to come. Again Congrats!!!!

thank you so much for all your support and info you have given us.  It came in handy for me - and I look forward to meeting you on the lines in the near future  !! good luck to you - hope you get called soon

I made it today (day 9)!!! I report Monday at Zerega for RTS training. How long is RTS training? 3 days?...5?

from what my instructor told me - not too long a few days mixed with HR day (filling out paper work ) and then the pick for our class to where we go to do our line training and work - that is done by senority based on list number from test - then we get a new seinority number from the depot when we get there and if we transfer depots after that we lose the seniority as far as picking runs and vacays go but of course not job time

Thank you Flowerpower for clearing that up for me. The reason I was concerned is cause I thought it was right after u got qualified that u go

and take the road exam right away(DMV). So now I at least know not to worry about going to a driving school and spending time and money 

that I don't have to get lessons and wait the same amount of time to get an appointment for the road test. It's also great cause u get to drive 

and maneuver the bus for at least 4 more weeks till ur road exam(DMV). Thanks again and Congrats to u and best of luck all the way through

ur 1yr probation. :)

thanks for the congrats..dmv road test can be as early as a week or as much as 4 weeks = don't bother with lessons on the outside - the mta trains you well enough as far as driving is concerned - it's up to you to remember the walk around , pre trip inspections, air brakes test and the wrap around in the driver seat also to remember all the shit you have to call out

Listen to the instructor and study all the info they give you - WRITE SHIT DOWN - take notes

I start Monday and I am really nervous. Am I thinking too much? What goes on day 1 and do you go to zerega every day or just some days? Thanks and gl to all.

get out of your head - nerves will ruin you - just LISTEN and STUDY and TAKE NOTES

Everyone that started training what list did  you Guys come off of

i came off of exam number 8094 which was a conductor's test back in 2008