Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

id like to thank you noflexdont for that tip.I must say ive been on this forum for a while waiting for my chance to become a bo.The info ive recieved from guys like you rts,jmazz,even locomotion (because he always has some great questions or good feed back) has given me such a great outlook on what to expect.Id like to say to all the newguys or anyone waiting to be called just be patient stick it out and absorb from this forum.Your time will come!When it does you"ll be ready,and to all the guys who contribute to this forum keep up the good work!I START MY TRAINING MAY 9TH!!!YOU GUYS HELPED ME SO MUCH!!!THANK YOU

You're right Tim, there is a lot of good help on here which is why I've been here since before the 8006 test. I'm waiting for the medical, hopefully soon.

Thanks to everyone who's posted about training and good luck. Be safe.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have another question regarding schedules, of course when and if I do pass training, what kind of schedule show I expect? I mean do you bump from depot to depot while being a newbie or would I be assigned to only one. Also is it possible to do a shift during the day and the next at night or vise versa? They have to leave some time in between shifts.

I do have another question regarding schedules, of course when and if I do pass training, what kind of schedule show I expect? I mean do you bump from depot to depot while being a newbie or would I be assigned to only one. Also is it possible to do a shift during the day and the next at night or vise versa? They have to leave some time in between shifts.

You will be working out of the same depot. And you will be working the same tour. If you happen to work a double I believe they have to give you at least 8-10 hours of rest.

8 hour rest,

and dont be an idiot, dont work double or days off, or any overtime that is offered while on probation.

You have an accident or incident, the first thing they will ask you why were you working on your day off.

8 hour rest,

and dont be an idiot, dont work double or days off, or any overtime that is offered while on probation.

You have an accident or incident, the first thing they will ask you why were you working on your day off.

I second this statement!!!!!

Yes they will show you everything, brakes and mirrors were the hardest to get the hang of. You have to have them mentality to say to yourself "if they can do it, i can too". dont be intimated by the bus but do respect it. I think everyone that visits this forums before training has a heads up and the pressure is just that much less.

You're the second person Olegkha that said not to work overtime on probation. I will listen to your warning. Even though the xtra cash would be tempting, I will take ur guys advice. Hey trust me I wouldn't be taking much OT anyway, until I can get a place closer to the city I have to travel back and forth from Duchess county.

id like to thank you noflexdont for that tip.I must say ive been on this forum for a while waiting for my chance to become a bo.The info ive recieved from guys like you rts,jmazz,even locomotion (because he always has some great questions or good feed back) has given me such a great outlook on what to expect.Id like to say to all the newguys or anyone waiting to be called just be patient stick it out and absorb from this forum.Your time will come!When it does you"ll be ready,and to all the guys who contribute to this forum keep up the good work!I START MY TRAINING MAY 9TH!!!YOU GUYS HELPED ME SO MUCH!!!THANK YOU

You have a very positive attitude and sound very enthusiastic. You found this forum, it didn't come to you. I am just a long time poster on here and nothing more, glad to hear that my questions helped you.

I should start riding buses, especially the RTS. I haven't been on a bus

in about 12 years.

I tried to teach a couple of B/O's on here how to use and program a scanner so they can listen to the bus frequencies when they are at home but it's very complicated. It sure took me awhile to learn how to use my radio. I use that as a learning tool, what B/O's have to deal with day in and day out.

im 50 yrs old and cant do 25 yrs i want to do my 15 yrs for nycta ill be hired soon from exam 8006 how much will my monthly pension be for 15 yrs of service because when i hit 65 i am out.ill put as much away in 457-401k then get my social security.but what would i take home a month for 15 yrs.

im 50 yrs old and cant do 25 yrs i want to do my 15 yrs for nycta ill be hired soon from exam 8006 how much will my monthly pension be for 15 yrs of service because when i hit 65 i am out.ill put as much away in 457-401k then get my social security.but what would i take home a month for 15 yrs.
just 15 yrs of work what would pension be

Are you going for training and want to know what goes on from day 1-10 just ask. And good luck to all

I'm curious I just got my cdl with the passenger endorsement, are there any advantages to having your cdl, and how hard is it to qualify, I'm currently in a dead end job, and dying to break free, I've driven a bus a few times it's obvious that I don't have MTA experience but quite a few people I know that are BO say it's easy as long as you take your time there's no rush to the finish line, if you guys have any advice it would be greatly appreciated thanks

please answer how much will i take on with 15 yrs of service as a bus operator nycta local 100

Finished day 4 of training and so far so good. I like to thank Noflexdont and RTS4Life for the curb and right angle technique, it did work and came in handy. No hitting the curb. Had a little problem parallel parking yesterday, but got it right on the last try. Did right and left turns, hook turns and wrap-arounds. I believe by Wednesday I'll be ready to advance to line training. My group have been driving in Manhattan since the beginning so day 5 and 6 shouldn't be a shock and go smoothly. Again I would like to thank everyone who added to this thread, It really helps in what to expect.:tup:

Actually the instructor does help with the positioning of the mirror. At first it did seem nerve wrecking but the more u drive the bus the more comfortable u feel. You just must always look in all three mirrors constantly and cover your right side. My dad use to drive a bus for the TA a while back and he told me after awhile you'll be whipping the bus around like its a car. Congrats on passing your road test. I want to just get pass day 7 and pass the road test, after that hopefully i wont have to do another job search for the rest of my career.

I was nervous also, once u get used to the bus the nerves start to ease and u start to feel more confident. And they don't give u a break if u have your CDL. U don't have to take the road test, obviously, but u still have to get 19-A certified with the MTA. You will do a similar road test with your instructor so u can be certified. We did the El pillars yesterday in the Bronx under the 2 and 5 trains. They have u practice first on the simulator the day before. It is tight but if u USE your mirrors and don't pass the pivot point on your rear tire you're good. If u listen to your instructor, u shouldn't have to tough of a time.

jaydubs36

Nice to hear your doing well. keep up the work and don't be nervous. when day 7 is here. just think about driving the bus. if you need help with parking let me know. good luck and keep us updated with your training