Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all I'm a week away from heading up to zerega to begin training on 8/12 and from what I've read on here if I keep my head down and listen to what the instructors say I should be fine. I've had two years experience driving a straight truck through the streets of NYC and at the risk of sounding overly confident I enjoy the challenges of driving in our great city and think this is going to be the most challenging adventure yet. Other than taking everything slow and steady and listening does anyone have any pointers in moving from trucks to busses?

good luck - get plenty of rest

So what's going on with the new bus operators. How is work and anyone else getting called.

I qualified last week on Day 7. I had pre road test today and got my road test on Fri. Waiting to hear what depot i'm goin to. 

Edited by Yankees285

Day 2 was yesterday did well on my first run behind the wheel near zerega but run no 2 near 135 st in the Bronx had to back out of two turns and got trolley braked a coupe times too, I need to realize I have to walk before I can run and was going too fast into and through turns on my last try I was able to correct those issues but still received unsatisfactory for the day bc if the earlier errors. My instructor tells me days 1-4 are instructional days though and 5-7 are the 'show me' days so I think as long as I take it easy and do it his way I should be ok, tom supposedly we're gonna go in the simulator

Does anyone know that if it's true they ran out of vacancy? That's what I was told on Monday when I called HR. I'm a lil concerned now cause I've passed all the DT's and the Medical exam but no response as of 7/24/2013. I'm just waiting to go down for final process and get my career started. Does anyone know if there's another # I can call and get some actual facts about what's really going on besides HR #? I feel like the HR people just wanna get u off the phone ASAP with as lil info as they can. Exam #8094 list # 291*. Thanks

Edited by Moski79er

Day 2 was yesterday did well on my first run behind the wheel near zerega but run no 2 near 135 st in the Bronx had to back out of two turns and got trolley braked a coupe times too, I need to realize I have to walk before I can run and was going too fast into and through turns on my last try I was able to correct those issues but still received unsatisfactory for the day bc if the earlier errors. My instructor tells me days 1-4 are instructional days though and 5-7 are the 'show me' days so I think as long as I take it easy and do it his way I should be ok, tom supposedly we're gonna go in the simulator

take ur time both hands on the wheel 3 to 5 mph move and steer who`s ur instructor

Does anyone know that if it's true they ran out of vacancy? That's what I was told on Monday when I called HR. I'm a lil concerned now cause I've passed all the DT's and the Medical exam but no response as of 7/24/2013. I'm just waiting to go down for final process and get my career started. Does anyone know if there's another # I can call and get some actual facts about what's really going on besides HR #? I feel like the HR people just wanna get u off the phone ASAP with as lil info as they can. Exam #8094 list # 291*. Thanks

I heard the same thing...my husband is 433x on the list and took the BOSS survey on june 12.  He has been waiting for the letter to go for drug test but hasn't gotten anything so when he called on friday was told that they stopped hiring right now.   :(

I heard the same thing...my husband is 433x on the list and took the BOSS survey on june 12.  He has been waiting for the letter to go for drug test but hasn't gotten anything so when he called on friday was told that they stopped hiring right now.   :(

Thanks 4 that. At least now I could go and get my CDL done b4 they call me up for training. That'll be one less thing 4 me to worry about. Who knows maybe by the time they call me up for training me and your husband will be in the same training course. Fingers crossed for me and your husband that we'll get called b4 the end of this year. How's your line training going and did u take your DMV test yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally heard from the mta yesterday 8/29. I have to go for my third D/t on sept.3rd again without my 20 page booklet. I asked why I have to give another piss sample the lady told me cause the last one I did had expired 7/24. This's starting to get a lil annoying cause I'm missing out on money at my job to spend a whole day at 180 livingston just to give em a third piss sample and not knowing when I'll be going in for final processing. Has anyone heard from the mta to go in on the 3rd of sept? Let me know.

Thanks 4 that. At least now I could go and get my CDL done b4 they call me up for training. That'll be one less thing 4 me to worry about. Who knows maybe by the time they call me up for training me and your husband will be in the same training course. Fingers crossed for me and your husband that we'll get called b4 the end of this year. How's your line training going and did u take your DMV test yet?

that would be great if they would call him soon - he hasn't even done his first drug test yet - he's still waiting for that letter - He only took the BOSS survey.  Hopefully with you going for your 3rd drug test means that they are starting the hiring process again.  In the meantime, my husband has applied to take the next Bus Operator exam #4600 - just to be sure he's not missing an opportunity to get a job  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally. I got my final process done today and I will start training on the 23rd. Let's back track to '08 when I took my conductor exam 8094. I got the letter for BOSS back in May '13. I took the 1st D/T on July 2nd. My medical was done on July 24th along side another D/T which expired. I then did another D/T on Sept 4th and I finally did my final process today on Friday the 13th.. What a Journey...... I'm very excited and ready to pass this training session and join the rest of guys. I've learned a lot from this forum and I'd like to thank everyone that contributed to it... See you guys on the other side and thanks again...

• 2 weeks later...

Day 4 was the el pillars and that was a piece of cake cause I listened to my instructor and did as he explained to me. I never drove anything bigger than a U haul 20' ft truck and I'm doing pretty well. Thank GOD. I'm almost at the finish line come Monday.

Good luck on your training. You almost at the finish line.

Thank u dre87. The instructors r mad cool and laid back and r teaching u the tricks of the trade all u gotta do is listen and accomplish. I don't know if ur in training already but if ur not holla at me for any questions u have on any turns or driving maneuvers. I'll be glad to help and pass my knowledge on to u. This forum has also helped me a lot cause of all the experienced B/O people on here. I'm studying the book right now and memorizing everything cause come Monday it's day 5. Remember the instructors r there to help u achieve and get this position not knock u down. They'll criticize u but that's to help u learn from the mistakes u make. They really want u to get this job. Thanks again for the gd luck wishes.

Thank u dre87. The instructors r mad cool and laid back and r teaching u the tricks of the trade all u gotta do is listen and accomplish. I don't know if ur in training already but if ur not holla at me for any questions u have on any turns or driving maneuvers. I'll be glad to help and pass my knowledge on to u. This forum has also helped me a lot cause of all the experienced B/O people on here. I'm studying the book right now and memorizing everything cause come Monday it's day 5. Remember the instructors r there to help u achieve and get this position not knock u down. They'll criticize u but that's to help u learn from the mistakes u make. They really want u to get this job. Thanks again for the gd luck wishes.

I'm far away from training. I took exam 2613 & I'm just waiting for my list #. You got your Cdl license already?