Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

So heres my dilemma ..im supposed to be going in for pre employment wed Feb5 .....in December I got in contact with mta to find out what number they were up to from my list the guy told me 4400 my number is 6500....I even asked the the guy would they be calling my number anytime soon he informed that I still had a couple months to go so I figured I had time to get my cdl .....I received my pre employment letter on Jan 29 .....ive had both cdl requirements way before I got the letter so they have since expired and I already renewed them twice......my question is when I go to pre employment will they give me time to get my cdl permit all over again and also what is done on the first day of pre employment ......my second question is how soon soon does everything else take place thereafter meaning medical drug test and starting the actual classes to learn how to drive a bus.....I'd like to think im a great driver the biggest vehicle ive driven was the the biggest u haul that they offer is that anywhere close to driving a bus lol .....im excited for this new opportunity ......any answers would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So heres my dilemma ..im supposed to be going in for pre employment wed Feb5 .....in December I got in contact with mta to find out what number they were up to from my list the guy told me 4400 my number is 6500....I even asked the the guy would they be calling my number anytime soon he informed that I still had a couple months to go so I figured I had time to get my cdl .....I received my pre employment letter on Jan 29 .....ive had both cdl requirements way before I got the letter so they have since expired and I already renewed them twice......my question is when I go to pre employment will they give me time to get my cdl permit all over again and also what is done on the first day of pre employment ......my second question is how soon soon does everything else take place thereafter meaning medical drug test and starting the actual classes to learn how to drive a bus.....I'd like to think im a great driver the biggest vehicle ive driven was the the biggest u haul that they offer is that anywhere close to driving a bus lol .....im excited for this new opportunity ......any answers would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Answers:

1) When you go to pre-employment, they are going to run an abstract of your license. They want to see that you have minimum the CDL Class B permit with passenger endorsement. I have Class A, since I was undecided about possibly going to driving school to learn how to drive a tractor-trailer. If you do not have a valid CDL permit when you report, they are not interested in you. Therefore, work on getting your CDL permit first before going down for pre-employment.

2) On the first day of pre-employment, when you are initially called up to the counter, after waiting in line, you will be required to hand in your license so they can run an abstract to make sure the past three years are clean. When you get called to the counter again, in the order of your ticket #, you will get your license back and they will send you to the laboratory for a drug test. That's it.

3) As far as how soon, it depends. For me, I was initially called in early November, since my list # for 2613 was in the low 270s. I got called back on December 19th for a second drug test. I got called back a third time on December 31st for medical and possibly final processing. If I had gotten cleared by medical, I would have been in the January 13th class.

However, if you read the 2613 thread (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/), you will notice that I got put on Medical Hold on December 31st, and as a result I had to go see a neurologist. As a result, I am now scheduled for the February 10th class.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question ? I belive every instructor has 4 or 5 students. If we only drive only half hour to hour every day what we do with few hours left ?. Is there more driving if we need ?

Can any one give some tips on parallel parking ? Like when to turn the wheel

Every instructor has 4 students. Each student will drive for a minimum of 90 minutes a day (90 x 4 = 360 minutes = 6 hours). There is also a one-hour lunch break, and the instructor may drive at the beginning and at the end just to get to a certain place faster. As far as more driving, it is up to the instructor and how much more time there is. Keep in mind that two of the days are cut short because the pre-trip inspection, both the exterior and interior need to be done.

As far as parallel parking, the instructor will go over it, since everyone has a different way of doing it, plus what I describe may sound 100% confusing to you. If you listen and pay attention, you'll be fine. Keep in mind, you need an "S" on days 6 and 7 to be good, so even if you mess up the first time, learn from your mistake.

Oh ok. Thanks, and what about when they send you to line training?

At the end of the 10-day training, those who passed will 'pick' their depots. The depot you go to will be where you do your line training out of.

Thanks YOUNGNYC. Advice well taken. It is not confusing. 90 min pretty good. I will do my best and learn from my mistakes. It is 6 am @ Zerega let the fun start.

You're welcome. And in case you, and possibly others are curious about parallel parking, if you do a Google search for "how to parallel park a bus," the first Youtube clip contains someone parallel parking a city bus...it's not that hard, once you get the hang of it.

Just like anything else - it's hard at first, however after you do it a couple of times...it gets easier and easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Every instructor has 4 students. Each student will drive for a minimum of 90 minutes a day (90 x 4 = 360 minutes = 6 hours). There is also a one-hour lunch break, and the instructor may drive at the beginning and at the end just to get to a certain place faster. As far as more driving, it is up to the instructor and how much more time there is. Keep in mind that two of the days are cut short because the pre-trip inspection, both the exterior and interior need to be done.

As far as parallel parking, the instructor will go over it, since everyone has a different way of doing it, plus what I describe may sound 100% confusing to you. If you listen and pay attention, you'll be fine. Keep in mind, you need an "S" on days 6 and 7 to be good, so even if you mess up the first time, learn from your mistake.

At the end of the 10-day training, those who passed will 'pick' their depots. The depot you go to will be where you do your line training out of.

Good to know, thanks a lot. I start at Zerega on Monday, as the days get closer and closer I get more and more nervous. I've driven straight trucks for 7 years all over NYC and the country, but I could imagine driving a bus must be a whole other world.

Good to know, thanks a lot. I start at Zerega on Monday, as the days get closer and closer I get more and more nervous. I've driven straight trucks for 7 years all over NYC and the country, but I could imagine driving a bus must be a whole other world.

You're welcome.

Anything in particular I should know about the day to day training process?

Just try to do your best every day. If you screw up, especially on days 1 to 5, it's not a big deal, since Days 6 and 7 are the ones that really count.

If you screw up on days 6 or 7, you have another chance to qualify on Day 9. If not, then it's Day 10 with 2 Superintendents.

oh well thats a bit of a relief. i thought you had to ace everyday. i feel pretty confident with the driving part. its just the technical stuff I'm worried about. like turning the corners and giving pedestrians clearance. Like i mentioned earlier, I've driven trucks around the city but to be honest when you're turning a corner in manhattan you gotta be kind of aggressive if not you're not turning that corner lol. And from what I've been reading on here, it looks like you have to say every obstacle aloud; pedestrians, bikes, height clearances, ALSAPS process.