Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

from what a understand .. you are prob going to have to take the written test again and hopefully get called again . i dont think they will hire you from your old test number .. so that whole process would be prob 3-5 depending when they do give another test .. dont quote me on this info as i am not 100 percent sure but this is what i heard

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from what a understand .. you are prob going to have to take the written test again and hopefully get called again . i dont think they will hire you from your old test number .. so that whole process would be prob 3-5 depending when they do give another test .. dont quote me on this info as i am not 100 percent sure but this is what i heard

That's fine if I have to take the written test again since I did take the 4600 exam...

I don't know when they started it but I am glad for it - a day 9 qualification means you still get 2 chances for the DMV road test - day 10 qualification only gets you one shot with DMV.  So I WANT to be sure to qualify tomorrow so I can get my 2 shots for the road test if I need them both.

hey flowerpower im meeting up with castaldo on my day 8 tomorrow how is he?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

having your CDL-BP means squat to them it's there way or the highway !!, the only difference is they don't have to arrange a DMV road test for you. Pay attention to the Supt. be humble, know it all's usually don't make it.. check out some of my previous posts, I'm a re-hire did this twice in 15 years passed both times on day 7.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i got question monday will be day 5 form me and we will be in Manhattan. I asked my instructor this question but he say i can not answer u this couse we will experience that. So question is going cross town thru central park overpass say 10.10 hight and my bus is 11.3. I know my bus is to high for that according to sign but i know bus go thru thete. What should i tell to my instructor when we will go there?

i got question monday will be day 5 form me and we will be in Manhattan. I asked my instructor this question but he say i can not answer u this couse we will experience that. So question is going cross town thru central park overpass say 10.10 hight and my bus is 11.3. I know my bus is to high for that according to sign but i know bus go thru thete. What should i tell to my instructor when we will go there?

Say that then I did during training. "11 3 under 10 10. But I know its safe bcuz I observe other NYCT buses using the road." In that situation tho I dont think the 10 10 is the overall height but the height at the lowest points of the arch. 

Also that isn't that a big a deal compared to the turn you need to do to get onto that street if entering from the west side of the park.

I have my CDL b passenger already, how hard if is at all is the nyct/bus operator 10 day training?

I already have my CDL BP, how hard is the nyct bus operator 10 day training

having your CDL-BP means squat to them it's there way or the highway !!, the only difference is they don't have to arrange a DMV road test for you. Pay attention to the Supt. be humble, know it all's usually don't make it.. check out some of my previous posts, I'm a re-hire did this twice in 15 years passed both times on day 7.

yea i heard that they are very strict on how they want you to drive the bus.

So while I was in training, the Supt. I had lent us a booklet with valuable information. I was fortunate to scan the pages to share with you folks, which can be found at http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-422 post #4216. My advice is to look over the documents, especially the last two which contain the pre-trip checkoff list for both the exterior and interior!!

Ok. Thanks for info. So about those signs. When i drove bus and superintendent told me to make turn to go thru central park i called high i say 11.3 going under 10.10 can i proceed? Sup say very good yes u can. So signs say lower hight that it is so no big trucks go thru there. But anytime u have situation like that just call hight and ask if u can go. So i am going for day 7 now. Ita big day for me couse i may qualify on day 7. Do anybody know where is day 7? Do they have apecial place for it and how day 7 look like?

Ok. Thanks for info. So about those signs. When i drove bus and superintendent told me to make turn to go thru central park i called high i say 11.3 going under 10.10 can i proceed? Sup say very good yes u can. So signs say lower hight that it is so no big trucks go thru there. But anytime u have situation like that just call hight and ask if u can go. So i am going for day 7 now. Ita big day for me couse i may qualify on day 7. Do anybody know where is day 7? Do they have apecial place for it and how day 7 look like?

As far as the information is concerned - you're welcome.

From what I recall, Day 7 takes place in the Bronx - there are some overpasses and possibly a drawbridge, but if you got an "S" on Days 5 and 6, which I think were the hardest, then you should be fine.

• 3 months later...

I looked it up before and the last MTA Bus exam was in 2007.

MTA Bus is separate from TA and mabstoa, and the 8006 exam

was back in 2008, but that is neither here or there, good luck to all.

Good evening, just a couple of questions about the training...I was scheduled on Monday,6/29 for orientation, now it has changed to Sunday,6/28. How does that affect the training schedule? W ill it still be Mon-Fri of that week?Also, if I pass the training will I have part-time hours while on probation? I hope so because I really can't work a full time schedule right now...

Good evening, just a couple of questions about the training...I was scheduled on Monday,6/29 for orientation, now it has changed to Sunday,6/28. How does that affect the training schedule? W ill it still be Mon-Fri of that week? Also, if I pass the training will I have part-time hours while on probation? I hope so because I really can't work a full time schedule right now...

July 03, 2015 is a federal and state holiday (Independence Day - Observed).

I don't know if MTA Bus is still hiring part-time operators, Did you sign up for a part-time position? If so, this question should be asked to HR as soon as possible and if you cannot work full time hours, I would recommend deferring your spot immediately until you can work full time so you can still have a chance on this list. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone started training today June 29th?

My day 1 was pretty cool.  it was a group of 4 of us and the instructors main concern was to get us familiar and comfortable with driving the bus.  We went over ALSAPS but in a way where he made it a bit simpler and we worked on both right and left turns.   Looking to apply what we've learned so far tomorrow.  I still have to work on my pre-inspection since I'm going in with a permit and he thought us the difference in how MTA wants us to drive and how we should do certain things with DMV in order to pass the road test.