Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^what happened on Day 1 if you dont mind sharing?  Also how'd it go on Days 2 and 3?

For me, 

Day 2 went ok.  I drove through the city and the instructor made me make a turn which I knew I could make but I made an error in my judgement since I lost my focus and kept looking at the white lines rather than observing the turn and setting it up correctly.  Luckily I didnt hit the curb but I caught my error.  And my second error was as I drove down one street with cars on my right and keeping my distance, the next block there were no vehicles on the right parked so I left that open without moving over to protect my right and I had 2 cars pass me.  Once the instructor told me about it, I quickly corrected it.  

Day 3, didnt start off exactly perfect since I forgot to put the bus in Drive and left it in neutral while on a hill which could've been catastrophic but that was my one of my errors and not signaling right as I serviced the bus stop.  The areas I didnt do too well on the day before I took my time and corrected them today.  The instructor said I did really good.  So now I have to work on perfecting my pre-trip and ALSAPS when i go over them and calling out all my hazards when i'm driving.   

...So now I have to work on perfecting my pre-trip and ALSAPS when i go over them and calling out all my hazards when i'm driving.   

Glad the experience got better!

For the pre-trip, I would recommend looking at the last two pictures of http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/?p=791650. When I went through the training in February of 2014, these are some "handouts" the instructor let us borrow to look at. The last two pictures contain the pre-trip checkoff list for both the interior and exterior. My advice: Memorize this!!

However, just like anything else, the more times you do it, the easier it will become.

Well, day 2 and 3 went a lot better than 1...but I still have trouble with mirrors and setting up turns. I know that there are people who catch on to all this stuff and qualify on day 7...but honestly, all these things takes months or maybe years too master! It's a lot to absorb in only ten days...

Glad the experience got better!

For the pre-trip, I would recommend looking at the last two pictures of http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/?p=791650. When I went through the training in February of 2014, these are some "handouts" the instructor let us borrow to look at. The last two pictures contain the pre-trip checkoff list for both the interior and exterior. My advice: Memorize this!!

However, just like anything else, the more times you do it, the easier it will become.

Thank you.  I actually printed that yesterday.  And today I practied my Alsaps and a bit of my pre-trip and I was all over the place.  But i figured out a few words to use so that way I dont force myself to say something and then try to correct it.  

Well, day 2 and 3 went a lot better than 1...but I still have trouble with mirrors and setting up turns. I know that there are people who catch on to all this stuff and qualify on day 7...but honestly, all these things takes months or maybe years too master! It's a lot to absorb in only ten days...

As long as you are getting better and know where your errors are try your best to correct them.  In the mirrors make sure that on the right side you see the floor and your rear wheel and adjust it accordingly because you want to be able to see that you aren't going to hit a curb.  So take your time and adjust accordingly, but the key thing is to ask the instructor questions even while you are in the process of doing something.

msmcmillan i dont know what depot you are training out of but when i was training our instructor said to us that when we come early in the morning while waiting we can go to the yard and he pointed us to the out of service bus line and he said we can practice our pre-trip on anyone of those buses just dont start them up. So maybe if you can do that based on where you are it will help you a whole lot.It's one thing to look at the book but you gain more from actually doing it on the bus. As for the rest just take your time when you drive and scan your mirrors always and nice and slow in the turns and you will be ok. Also when your other classmates are driving just dont sit and talk with the rest, go up and stand and observed the person who is driving and look at what he does and listen to when his mistakes are pointed out by the instructor so when your turn comes you would know what not to do. Its nothing hard to it just focus and stay calm and you will get through it. Good luck with everything.

Question, when performing the interior wraparound on the pre-trip,  What is the best way to go about calling out the buttons?

In my opinion, left to right. However, do whatever will work for you the best.

Congrats triton3k! I passed on Day 9...I did need that extra day...how did your road test go? Any advice...I'm really nervous! I'm really gonna practice the Air Brake Test that's my weakness:-(

Congrats on the road test! YAY!!!

Congrats, you made it triton...YAY!!!

Congrats triton3k! I passed on Day 9...I did need that extra day...how did your road test go? Any advice...I'm really nervous! I'm really gonna practice the Air Brake Test that's my weakness:-(

Congrats on the road test! YAY!!!

Congrats, you made it triton...YAY!!!

Congrats.  As far as advice, definitely get to know the pre-trip inside out.  As far as driving, its the easy part, but remember to call everything out so they know you are paying attention.  You will pass a drawbridge so make sure you know what to say for that.  You will go under a few over pass so remember to call that out.  Also know that when doing the DMV road test dont worry about your right side, dont ride two lanes, make sure you stay in one lane.   Also if you are making a left turn, make sure you turn into the left lane, if you turn from a double left lane, remember to turn from the outter lane.  Message me if you have any other questions.

• 3 months later...

They are not going to allow u to take the road test if you didn't pass their 10 training. In their eyes that believe you can't handle the bus. If you paid for the road test already you can probably go through a driving school and get your CDL.

I'm heard before it's 3-4 years before they will accept you for employment again. Call 180 Livingston Street to verify.

The next test that comes out take it and if they call you before the 3-4 years are up decline the position and reinstate your name back on the last once the time have passed.

They are not going to allow u to take the road test if you didn't pass their 10 training. In their eyes that believe you can't handle the bus. If you paid for the road test already you can probably go through a driving school and get your CDL.

I'm heard before it's 3-4 years before they will accept you for employment again. Call 180 Livingston Street to verify.

The next test that comes out take it and if they call you before the 3-4 years are up decline the position and reinstate your name back on the last once the time have passed.

When I failed my 10-day training in February of 2014, I only had a CDL permit, and since the fee is non-refundable, I did go to a driving school to get my CDL, which currently helps in my current job.

As far as how long you have to wait until you can try again - I remember one of the administrative assistants at Zerega telling me five [5] years. This was in February of 2014. Now, fortunately for me, I did take the B/O 4600 test, therefore once the list is established, depending on my list number, I will probably have to reinstate my name back on the list when the time comes.

Hello all I just read this entire forum and I have a question that might be a little pre mature but any help would be greatly appreciated

I applied for exam 2301 back in 2011 and received a list number of 15xxx

I randomly called the employment center and they said "actually, can you come and take the boss (bus op selection survey) on December 2nd in Brooklyn

Obviously I said yes but is it supposed to be something I arranged myself to take the boss?

So what I'm wondering now is yes I have to go take the boss....now provided i pass that Is this a guaranteed that they'll call me for medical?

Also, I've been working for suffolk county transit about 3 years now....I've had two red light camera tickets with the bus and I also was terminated for a speeding ticket in their vehicle...BUTTTTTTTTT

I was taken back by the union because the ticket was dropped to a parking ticket and a fine

Should i still go and do this or is it a waste of my time? I doubt every operator has a flawless record so to speak so I'm wondering if it's gonna be a waste and I'll already be eliminated or if I should do it cause I really want to

How long should I expect to wait for all of this processing?

Any help is greatly appreciated please thanks

Hello all I just read this entire forum and I have a question that might be a little pre mature but any help would be greatly appreciated

I applied for exam 2301 back in 2011 and received a list number of 15xxx

I randomly called the employment center and they said "actually, can you come and take the boss (bus op selection survey) on December 2nd in Brooklyn

Obviously I said yes but is it supposed to be something I arranged myself to take the boss?

So what I'm wondering now is yes I have to go take the boss....now provided i pass that Is this a guaranteed that they'll call me for medical?

Also, I've been working for suffolk county transit about 3 years now....I've had two red light camera tickets with the bus and I also was terminated for a speeding ticket in their vehicle...BUTTTTTTTTT

I was taken back by the union because the ticket was dropped to a parking ticket and a fine

Should i still go and do this or is it a waste of my time? I doubt every operator has a flawless record so to speak so I'm wondering if it's gonna be a waste and I'll already be eliminated or if I should do it cause I really want to

How long should I expect to wait for all of this processing?

Any help is greatly appreciated please thanks

From my experience, once you pass the BOSS, the next step is to be called down for a drug test. Once that is done, then the next step will be medical.

As far as the tickets are concerned, I think that they're definitely going to have a negative effect on you one way or another...

That speeding ticket was reduced to a parking ticket. The red light ones are only registered to the bus...I was told honesty is the best policy and if you tell them up front what's going on they aren't too bad....I find it hard to believe that out of the thousands of operators no one has a scratch on their record?

And should I even bother? At this point I don't want to waste time for nothing

That speeding ticket was reduced to a parking ticket. The red light ones are only registered to the bus...I was told honesty is the best policy and if you tell them up front what's going on they aren't too bad....I find it hard to believe that out of the thousands of operators no one has a scratch on their record?

And should I even bother? At this point I don't want to waste time for nothing

You should definitely go ahead.

The red light camera tickets are a non-issue. When you get the paperwork to fill out, just ask if you have to disclose it, if you want to be on the "safe side". Just don't get any tickets while on probation at the  (MTA) .

The fact that the speeding ticket was tossed, also a non-issue. You'll of course have to disclose this one because it went to court (and you'll need the disposition). As for your firing, did Suffolk Transit clean your employment record? Check with your shop steward to ensure your employment record is clean on that one, if not * honesty is the best policy * and disclose. 

It seems like you have no problems to get this job, you know how to operate a bus, go for it !!! :)

Edited by 161passenger

You should definitely go ahead.

The red light camera tickets are a non-issue. When you get the paperwork to fill out, just ask if you have to disclose it, if you want to be on the "safe side". Just don't get any tickets while on probation at the  (MTA) .

The fact that the speeding ticket was tossed, also a non-issue. You'll of course have to disclose this one because it went to court (and you'll need the disposition). As for your firing, did Suffolk Transit clean your employment record? Check with your shop steward to ensure your employment record is clean on that one, if not * honesty is the best policy * and disclose. 

It seems like you have no problems to get this job, you know how to operate a bus, go for it !!! :)

161 passenger...you work there now? Do you like it?

Well it's a private company that is subcontracted to run suffolk county transit runs....the safety records all disclose everything just mentioned, and bringing me back was based on a last chance agreement if I did anything wrong I was to be terminated....I had no further discipline and left on my own terms

Now I work for a different private company that operates suffolk county transit routes...so all of this shows up still...the tickets for the red light and the termination but I told them about it and still kept me and I've had no issues here in eight months.....does that help your decision?

Oh and none of those show up on my abstract only my employment history with that company for their disciplinary records and saying I didn't follow rules....

I'm just worried that any one of these can disqualify me and I don't wanna waste my time

But as I said before out of the thousands of operators no one has a scratch on their record like mine...I don't think I'd believe that

161 passenger...you work there now? Do you like it?

Well it's a private company that is subcontracted to run suffolk county transit runs....the safety records all disclose everything just mentioned, and bringing me back was based on a last chance agreement if I did anything wrong I was to be terminated....I had no further discipline and left on my own terms

Now I work for a different private company that operates suffolk county transit routes...so all of this shows up still...the tickets for the red light and the termination but I told them about it and still kept me and I've had no issues here in eight months.....does that help your decision?

I don't work for the MTA (I'm awaiting the results from TA Exam 4600)  but I did work for MTA Access-A-Ride, under a subcontract doing paratransit services for them. I now drive a 40-45' coach bus (and could drive a transit-style bus) for a PBL (Private bus Line) in New Jersey. I probably have a speeding camera ticket on it's way, so I am in a similar situation.

As I said, disclose everything:

- 2 Red Light Camera tickets are a non-issue. If in doubt ask, if they need to be disclosed. These do not appear on your abstract. The bus companies are required by law to talk to each other so thats why they know. AND Because they are both under contract to SCT, they probably follow the same internal "point" system (that is Provider A, Provider B and SCT) and know your record. Like the 12-or so companies that provide services to Access-A-Ride for the MTA, ultimately the MTA decides your fate, similar situation with SCT, I would believe. 

- The speeding citation you will have to disclose as it went through a court, make sure you bring the disposition. As it has been pled down, you  should have no points on your driver's license and your abstract should be clean.

- The firing, disclose it, you can state you were brought back per union arbitration or whatever. It most likely won't go against you. Hiding it or anything will probably get you fired from MTA when they find out.

I'm guessing you have an otherwise clean safety record, no accidents or tickets and no criminal activities. Again, go for it and please let everyone know how you make out!

Edited by 161passenger