Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

Just not at fault accident (person ran into rear of bus etc) other than that attendance is in the 90s percentage wise I very rarely call out...I always do a ton of overtime and nothing else on my record

I was really worried about this and actually debated not going I'm glad I came here first

Do you know hoe long this process will take at all like after the boss and such?

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know hoe long this process will take at all like after the boss and such?

So this is the detailed scoop from my perspective:

When you take the BOSS, you will be placing your answers on a multiple-choice bubble sheet. After they score that, providing you passed, you will be called down for a urine drug test based on your random list number. Since I do not yet work for NYC Transit, MTA Bus Company and/or their HR Department, I do not know how long you will have to wait for this to happen.

Providing you are clean, you should have nothing to worry about for this part. The urine drug tests are good for thirty (30) calendar days. They might administer the first one just to try to eliminate some candidates. Within these thirty days you might be called to come in for medical, in which a physician will examine you to look for certain things. Refer to the B/O 2613 thread for a further detailed explanation on this, which I know has been posted at least once in that topic.

Now if you are not called within the initial thirty days, don't worry about it. If this is the case, then chances are that you will have to take a second drug test. If this happens, then you will probably get called for medical within this thirty (30) day period, since these tests do cost $$ which the MTA pays for.

If the physician finds something during the medical examination, you will be placed on medical hold. This hold will not be lifted until you come back with the proper documentation. Example: For me, I was placed on medical hold for muscle spasm. Therefore, in order to get proper documentation, not only did I have to see a neurologist, but I also had to get a couple of tests done. As a result, when I went back to Livingston Street, I had to go for a third drug test, since the second one expired. Once you get the hold lifted, or if you are not placed on medical hold, then you will proceed to final processing, in which they will look over your paperwork, swear you in and give you a date and time to report to Zerega for the start of the 10-day training session.

Therefore, since I did fail the 10-day training session for B/O exam 2613, and since I was placed on medical hold, the amount of time all of this took was approximately 5 months (my first drug test was November 2013, second one December 2013, medical hold, training was February 10th to 24th, 2014). Now for someone who had a similar list number as me, but was not placed on medical hold, it took approximately 3 to 4 months (drug test dates were same as me, his training was sometime in January of 2014).

Therefore, the answer to your question depends on several variables which I mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I'm on training going in too day five on Monday . Just need a little help on identifying my turns on time . Specially a acute turn . I drove big vehicles for 5+years and I'm used to having the wheels in front of me . Having the wheels in back of me changes everything. I did go in to training with driving experience but very humble . You could if drove semis for 20 years but more then likely it was your way and may or may not be the safest way .MTA training is a whole new ball game . Again need help identifying turns . Thank you ahead for your input

......Just need a little help on identifying my turns on time . Specially a acute turn ......

If you click here, you'll see that I posed the "hand-out" pages from when I was in training. If you scroll down to the 9th picture from the top, you'll see that there is some information there regarding an acute angle turn and an obtuse angle turn.

Also, make sure that you have your four [4] feet covered on your right side! From learning how to drive a tractor trailer and a bus (since I do have a Class A CDL), this is very important for the rear of the vehicle to clear and not hit the sidewalk.

NOTE: Once it is "official" that candidates are being called from the B/O 4600 list, I will re-post those handouts in that topic, respectively.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If u can drive the RTS then u can drive any bus the MTA throws at u. Driving a RTS is pretty much like trading in your 2015 car for a 1995 car. I actually would prefer driving the articulated buses than the RTS. Not to scare anyone but the RTS isn't so that bad. It just takes more of an effort to drive plus some have really short turns which I've seen get probies all stuck in turns because they're following the book and didn't compensate for short turns. 

• 1 month later...

do they require parallel parking the bus during training? what percent of people going for bus training have experience driving a bus before?

i have NEVER driven anything bigger than a car my entire life. also what percent fail out of training from the mta?

Yes parallel parking is taught, pretty easy once you set up your mirrors, i too never drove anything this big, but it can be done.