Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
RTS4Life

Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

And believe it or not there were some people who already had their CDL license that didn't pass the 10 day training.

So I  just completed day 10 of training and failed. While I am disappointed, I am more angry that after giving 110%, an arbitrary decision was made. Wrong trainer, wrong time. I obtained my CDL permit literally a month ago, and have never driven anything larger than a Uhaul. Only three of the 17 trainees that came in with my class passed. That is much less than 20%. I can't believe the city pays these trainers for a less than 20% turn around. 

• Upvote 2

So I  just completed day 10 of training and failed. While I am disappointed, I am more angry that after giving 110%, an arbitrary decision was made. Wrong trainer, wrong time. I obtained my CDL permit literally a month ago, and have never driven anything larger than a Uhaul. Only three of the 17 trainees that came in with my class passed. That is much less than 20%. I can't believe the city pays these trainers for a less than 20% turn around. 

First of all, welcome to the Forums and thank you for taking the time to post this, even as you feel the pain (trust me).

As far as an arbitrary decision, I understand where you are coming from 100%. Back in February of 2014, I had an instructor out of the Flatbush Depot in Brooklyn whom I personally felt was the same. Out of the 4 of us, in which I just completed my graduate degree, one of my classmates drove for Access-A-Ride, one of them drove school buses and another one drove coach buses, the two that drove the coach and school buses passed, and my classmate who drove for Access-A-Ride and myself failed.

You mention that you have never driven anything larger than a Uhaul. If you had the opportunity to get your CDL and to get some experience behind the wheel (which I regretted back in 2014), do you think it would have resulted in a different outcome, or was the instructor just biased from the start?

Again, even in your pain, thank you for taking the time to post this.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Correction...

i do have a question for the after process 

obviously you pick into a depot and and ride with an operator for a few days then once your on your own do you pick routes etc or will you be extra board till next pick?

i do have a question for the after process 

obviously you pick into a depot and and ride with an operator for a few days then once your on your own do you pick routes etc or will you be extra board till next pick?

After you pick a depot, you will be in line training with an experience bus operator. You will basically take over the wheel and do the bus route while he/she stands next to you. After you finish line training which is about 4 weeks long, you will then graduate and receive an official Badge. The badge means you have successfully completed the training process and now you are a Bus operator for transit and will be on your own. The first months you will be all over the place in the depot until you are eligible for the next pick. You will basically be a driver on list, which means you will be told to  report to work at a certain time and you will wait for further instructions at the depot. Sometimes you work in the yard doing bus pull ins, or if a driver calls out, you will basically take over their shift and route. On some days you will get paid to do nothing since they dont have an assignment for you. But this will continue until you finally pick when its pick time season.

Sorry to hear that. Don't let this discourage you from not continuing. If you didn't take any other bus operator exam recently, the next one they have opening "Which we don't know when", you should go reapply again. There's always other opportunities out there within the transportation field such as School bus, Access-A-Ride "Transit mini brother/sister" and etc... What exam number were you in training for?

Sorry to hear that. Don't let this discourage you from not continuing. If you didn't take any other bus operator exam recently, the next one they have opening "Which we don't know when", you should go reapply again. There's always other opportunities out there within the transportation field such as School bus, Access-A-Ride "Transit mini brother/sister" and etc... What exam number were you in training for?

I, personally, wouldn't recommend Access-A-Ride. However, have you considered working for MV Transportation, Liberty Lines or Academy Bus?

Feel free to post on the appropriate forum/topic with any questions.

i also have another one regarding overtime  not the one where you come in on your dayoff etc 

like for example i remember hearing some stories where some runs have overtime built in and when you pull in and the fuel line is busy as hell and it adds up and an example is if your on a run that has delays coming down the pipe you get OT?

Edited by BreeddekalbL

i also have another one regarding overtime  not the one where you come in on your dayoff etc 

like for example i remember hearing some stories where some runs have overtime built in and when you pull in and the fuel line is busy as hell and it adds up and an example is if your on a run that has delays coming down the pipe you get OT?

I'm curious about this as well...

The percentage of people that fail is nerve wrecking. I've read all of the advice on this thread and I'm hoping it will be helpful when I start training on Monday.

The percentage of people that fail is nerve wrecking. I've read all of the advice on this thread and I'm hoping it will be helpful when I start training on Monday.

What exam and list number "Range" are you going in for training?

keep us updated on how it goes

In Training now, Starting day 5 tomorrow 8/28/2016 driving in Manhattan. Can anyone share any trouble spots to look out for, that they take you on?

Also had the following questions.

1. Do they do right hook turns? I am having trouble understanding what situation would call for me to use a right hook turn, any tips?

2. In regards to parallel parking our instructor showed us a 2 reference point method (1 ref point being the top skirt of the rear wheel to the curb, the 2nd one is the middle of the skirt of the rear wheel to the curb) Would I start making my turns once these reference points intersect in my mirrors? Any other methods that someone can share?

Thank You 

In Training now, Starting day 5 tomorrow 8/28/2016 driving in Manhattan. Can anyone share any trouble spots to look out for, that they take you on?

Also had the following questions.

1. Do they do right hook turns? I am having trouble understanding what situation would call for me to use a right hook turn, any tips?

2. In regards to parallel parking our instructor showed us a 2 reference point method (1 ref point being the top skirt of the rear wheel to the curb, the 2nd one is the middle of the skirt of the rear wheel to the curb) Would I start making my turns once these reference points intersect in my mirrors? Any other methods that someone can share?

Thank You 

Question #1 - Yes, and from what I recall in 2014, one of them is on Day 9. As far as tips: If you're able to Google the intersection of Utopia Parkway and the Long Island Expressway in Queens, you'll see that on the Eastbound side of the LIE, going North, there is a bus stop adjacent to the Mobil gas station. Believe it or not, the Q30 bus makes a right turn after servicing the bus stop. It's a similar scenario at Homelawn Street and Hillside Avenue, also in Queens, in which the Q30 & Q31 service the bus stop on the Westbound side of Hillside Avenue, adjacent to the florist, and then the buses make a right turn and proceed Northbound on Homelawn Street, going up the hill.

Think of it this way: When I drove a livestock trailer, or when I drive the shuttle bus now, if I don't have as much room as I like to have on the street that I'm turning onto, and my vehicle is adjacent to the sidewalk on the street I'm turning off of, then I do the hook turn.

Question #2 - There are several different methods, however from my experience, it depends on how much you turn the wheel and how much space you have behind you. If you have a lot of space behind you, turn the steering wheel just a little bit to the left, compared to a lot, to see your progress.

Worse comes to worse, Day 9 & 10 does not include any pre-trip, parallel parking, backing straight up, etc., and I heard back in 2014 that 75% of the class qualifies on Day 9.

Thank You Young. I googled those locations and see what you mean. I will update my day 5 progress once I get home.

No problem. Good luck!!

Going into the 9/6 class, have been reading the forums and preparing myself. Basic question that has been confusing me though. I have my  CDL B and  on the Nys road test we HAD to turn into the left lane when making a left turn.  In MTA training or even in general  (considering bus stops and such) do the busses turn into the left lane first or always the right lane from the left turn, 

Going into the 9/6 class, have been reading the forums and preparing myself. Basic question that has been confusing me though. I have my  CDL B and  on the Nys road test we HAD to turn into the left lane when making a left turn.  In MTA training or even in general  (considering bus stops and such) do the busses turn into the left lane first or always the right lane from the left turn, 

Right hand lane...keep in mind that they want you to cover your right and keep that 4 feet distance...

Hey everyone..

Want to thank Young for all the information provided in this thread.

It is tremendous help.  Just wrapped up Day 5 today.. Day 6 is tomorrow.

Fingers crossed, don't want to jinx anything yet!