Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

Hey everyone..

Want to thank Young for all the information provided in this thread.

It is tremendous help.  Just wrapped up Day 5 today.. Day 6 is tomorrow.

Fingers crossed, don't want to jinx anything yet!

No problem and you're most welcome. Good luck!! 

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/28/2016 at 11:12 PM, Statty said:

Qualifed on day 9! Phew.. this training sure is intense and gets the best out of you.

First, congrats!

Second, tell me about it...in addition to having a Superintendent (back in February 2014 out of the Flatbush Depot) who didn't wear his seat belt due to his weight, who made someone who had a permit drive over the Marine Parkway Bridge...

Edited by +Young+

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I Have a question for hiring process when they want your abstract do they want you to bring a copy or will they pull your record from a system etc?

5 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

You have to bring a full copy if you have an out of state license. They can pull NY abstracts from the computer. 

Just to add my two cents:

If you transferred your license from another state to either New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, regardless if it is a CDL or a regular Driver's License, MTA (both at 180 Livingston Street and Zerega Avenue) still want to see three years of driving experience. Therefore, make sure that when you report to either Livingston Street or Zerega, you have an abstract which is less than 30 days old from the previous state(s)!!

Edited by +Young+

eRod701Today 9:11 PM 

Hey all im new to this chat and have a couple of important questions if anyone can help with the answers. I really wld appreciate the help. When the MTA is training you, are u considered an employee @ that time? or when are u considered so? Also, do u get paid during that 7+wk training period?

3 hours ago, eRod701 said:

eRod701Today 9:11 PM 

Hey all im new to this chat and have a couple of important questions if anyone can help with the answers. I really wld appreciate the help. When the MTA is training you, are u considered an employee @ that time? or when are u considered so? Also, do u get paid during that 7+wk training period?

You are considered an employee the moment you get sworn in at 180 Livingston. All training is paid. 

9 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

On that topic, say in out of state driver will I have to change my licenses before I start training or once I pass training I can change over etc cause I don't think it would make sense to change over then washout in training

You would have to change it over before you start training. Keep in mind that if you have your CDL from New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania - you're good to go!! However, if you have a regular license and plan on going into the training with a permit, then a New York State Driver's License is the only state that they will accept with a permit.

Im soory all. I may be off topic but didnt knw where yo ask this question. Im not that savy yet w/the site, but does anyone knw what the 2018 mta bus operators pre-employmnt medical consist of ? Thanks to those in advance that answer.

17 minutes ago, eRod701 said:

Im soory all. I may be off topic but didnt knw where yo ask this question. Im not that savy yet w/the site, but does anyone knw what the 2018 mta bus operators pre-employmnt medical consist of ? Thanks to those in advance that answer.

I'm working on responding to your post in this thread...give me a few minutes...

On 7/3/2018 at 3:52 PM, SevenEleven said:

You have to bring a full copy if you have an out of state license. They can pull NY abstracts from the computer. 

Would they want a certified copy or just a regular copy of the abstract?

On 7/3/2018 at 9:08 PM, +Young+ said:

Just to add my two cents:

If you transferred your license from another state to either New York, New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, regardless if it is a CDL or a regular Driver's License, MTA (both at 180 Livingston Street and Zerega Avenue) still want to see three years of driving experience. Therefore, make sure that when you report to either Livingston Street or Zerega, you have an abstract which is less than 30 days old from the previous state(s)!!

What do you mean less than 30 days old? Your sounding a little confusing there

1 hour ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Would they want a certified copy or just a regular copy of the abstract?

What do you mean less than 30 days old? Your sounding a little confusing there

A regular copy is fine. If you click here, this sample would suffice (except for all of the bad stuff within the past three years) with the Comissioner's signature, which comes automatically when you order it online. I don't know about other states, but you can order your New York State certified abstract online by clicking on this page.

As far as less than 30 days old: Whenever I went to 180 Livingston Street and Zerega (back in 2014), I remember them saying that over and over again for all out-of-state licenses. They may have meant that they wanted an abstract less than 30 days old if you have a CDL from New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, which is acceptable, however perhaps someone else from this site can clarify this for me...thanks in advance.

On 7/10/2018 at 11:00 AM, +Young+ said:

A regular copy is fine. If you click here, this sample would suffice (except for all of the bad stuff within the past three years) with the Comissioner's signature, which comes automatically when you order it online. I don't know about other states, but you can order your New York State certified abstract online by clicking on this page.

As far as less than 30 days old: Whenever I went to 180 Livingston Street and Zerega (back in 2014), I remember them saying that over and over again for all out-of-state licenses. They may have meant that they wanted an abstract less than 30 days old if you have a CDL from New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, which is acceptable, however perhaps someone else from this site can clarify this for me...thanks in advance.

This is all coming from FLA 

So a regular copy is fine?

In printing an abstract from them it would be best to have it done 2 days before I come up to visit 180 Livingston?

25 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

This is all coming from FLA 

So a regular copy is fine?

In printing an abstract from them it would be best to have it done 2 days before I come up to visit 180 Livingston?

It should be. As long as the abstract is less than 30 days old, you're good to go.

• Harry featured this topic
  • 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, Antony said:

Hi everyone, I’m on day two today, did not do well hit 3 curbs on my right turn, can anybody help me out with some suggestions on turning right and left and curbs, thanks in advance guys 

First, did you look at the handouts?

Second, remember two terms: pivot point and reference point. The pivot point is the object the rear tire "pivots" around when making the turn. The reference point is the thing you "refer" to when making the turn.

For the standard 90 degree right turn, your reference point is the vertical bar to either the curb or the left rear bumper of the car which is parked adjacent and initially perpendicular to you.

Make sure you also keep your four feet on your right side as well. The easiest way to do this is to put yourself over the white dotted line. As a result of you doing this, not only will you have the space to make a wide turn, but you won't have to worry about this since this is one of the things you always have to do.

I would encourage you to look at and print the 5th and 6th pages of the handouts. If the handouts are too small, you can copy and paste the image into Microsoft Word, make the images bigger by pulling the corners and print them out.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

First, did you look at the handouts?

Second, remember two terms: pivot point and reference point. The pivot point is the object the rear tire "pivots" around when making the turn. The reference point is the thing you "refer" to when making the turn.

For the standard 90 degree right turn, your reference point is the vertical bar to either the curb or the left rear bumper of the car which is parked adjacent and initially perpendicular to you.

Make sure you also keep your four feet on your right side as well. The easiest way to do this is to put yourself over the white dotted line. As a result of you doing this, not only will you have the space to make a wide turn, but you won't have to worry about this since this is one of the things you always have to do.

I would encourage you to look at and print the 5th and 6th pages of the handouts. If the handouts are too small, you can copy and paste the image into Microsoft Word, make the images bigger by pulling the corners and print them out.

Good luck!!

Thank you so much young I will put that into practice tomorrow