Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

There won't be any parallel parking or backing. You may have to do some part of the pre-trip and brake test but most instructors just get to the nitty gritty on Day 7. You will be tested on everything that you've been taught, since you'll be applying it as you drive along. Look at your daily sheets and take note on what your instructor wrote on them, as they are the hints to what you need to improve on (like right side coverage) and what they may be looking at more.

Typical Day 7 messups:

- Failure to check mirrors every 3-5
- Failure to secure the bus
- Failure to maintain the 4 ft clearance
- Failure to cover your right side
- Failure to acknowledge a hazard within your 4 ft -- bikes, peds, etc. (And not stopping / getting away, if they are in your 4 ft)
- Failure to acknowledge a potential hazard (Call everything out, talk bout potential things that can play out -- like the cab cutting in front of you)
- Failure to hit that horn approaching / passing a hazard
- Having to get backed up
- Getting into an accident
-Hitting those construction cones in the street, counts as hitting a fixed object.

- Mis-timing a light and ending up stopped in the crosswalk. Anything past is running the light. If you're making a turn, if you are not at your reference point, then you are not committed, thus you are caught in the intersection.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Felcel said:

Monday will be day 5 of training out of kingsbridge. The instructor tells me I'm doing well but I just have to cover my right side ASAP!. My questions is, how long do we drive on qualification day? Are we told right away if we passed or do we wait until the other drivers are done?

Who’s your Supt?

On 2/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, Felcel said:

You're absolutely right! I have to cover my right side more often. My other question is, on qualification day are we doing everything we have learned the days before? For example, parallel parking, hook turns, servicing bus stops?? Since I have my cdl I dont have to take road test my, my instructor told me to focus on what we have learned thus far. 

Also, what gets you disqualified on day 7 besides the obvious getting charlie braked hitting the curb red lights, speed.

Thanks for your reply

Keep in mind that day 6 is also critical. You'll be in lower Manhattan. Getting trolley braked on Day 6 is an automatic Day 8 and 9!

Edited by SoSpectacular

On 2/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, Felcel said:

I passed on day 7! 

Can mabstoa operators work in any brooklyn depot?

Yes, you can pick into any Brooklyn depot except for Spring Creek. Congrats!

8 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, what street does the route start and end?

Just keep in mind that your Day 7 will differ because your superintendent can take you anywhere. Focus moreso on what you need to do to get through the route. 

6 hours ago, Felcel said:

Any advice during line training? I chose ulmer park depot. Pleaseee tell me good things about it

Ulmer Park has the B1, B3, B6, B36, B64, B74 and the express routes: X27/28 and the X37/38.

Not too versed on their lines but always pay attention to what the operator you are assigned to tells you about the line you train on. Ulmer Park also does some school trips that involve runs on the B9 (usually not the entire route), which is based out of Gleason. 

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone

I am going into day 5 and am having trouble with turns and acute turns.

I am not hitting the curb but my instructor says I am turning the wheel to slow so I end up usually turning too wide.

I was looking at the handouts posted by +Young+  and for acute turns my instructor says to use front bumper line up to the right side of the curb for a left acute turn.

What is the reference point for obtuse right turns, it is not to clear on the handout?

If I turn the wheel to slow how can I adjust for not turning so wide?

Thanks guys

6 hours ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

I am not hitting the curb but my instructor says I am turning the wheel to slow so I end up usually turning too wide.

I was looking at the handouts posted by +Young+  and for acute turns my instructor says to use front bumper line up to the right side of the curb for a left acute turn.

What is the reference point for obtuse right turns, it is not to clear on the handout?

Thanks guys

When I zoom-in on the image you are referring to, it says for obtuse right turns "You must turn later! Start your turn when your front door (inside reference point) is past the object you are turning on." In the image, the object is the curb. However, if there is a car parked at that intersection, then the object would be the rear bumper of the car. Make sure you keep an eye on that pivot point, which are the rear tires as well!

As far as turning the wheel to slow, you just have to use the "push-and-pull" method faster. As an example, while you're at home, try using the "push and pull" method with a paper or plastic plate slowly compared to using the "push and pull" method with a paper plate more faster. It's the same concept. This should also clear up the reason why you are making your turns so wide as well.

(If you don't have paper or plastic plates, you can use a regular glass plate instead. I would just do this a few inches off of a soft surface, such as a carpet, in the event you drop it for whatever reason.)

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Correction

11 hours ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

Thanks guys

For an acute turn you need to start turning the wheel before you start moving forward into the turn. It’s something you’ll get better with as you find them on the road but there aren’t any extreme difficult turns on qualifying day 7

13 hours ago, hh1a said:

Hi everyone

Thanks guys

Turn the wheel more faster, you want to create a sharper angle that you go around the curb at. You want to try and get your rear wheel pivoting around the curb. If you're going too much towards the curb, you can always correct it by going back towards the right. 

Hey everyone, thank you for the advice on turns.

Does anyone know if you pass qualification day but end up failing the DMV road test, does that mean you still have to wait 5 years?

Would the 1 and 3 rule still apply if you pass qualification day but fail the DMV road test?

Thanks

4 hours ago, hh1a said:

Hey everyone, thank you for the advice on turns.

Does anyone know if you pass qualification day but end up failing the DMV road test, does that mean you still have to wait 5 years?

Would the 1 and 3 rule still apply if you pass qualification day but fail the DMV road test?

Thanks

I've known operators that got a second or third chance to do the DMV road test but, yes if you fail a certain number of road tests then they'll terminate you. I don't know about them using the 1 in 3 rule on you for future careers. 

• Harry unpinned this topic
  • 2 years later...
8 hours ago, Trackguy718 said:

Ik this post is a little old but anybody knows what time do the 10 days training end is it usually morning to afternoon and also the time they would have people do line training if somebody pass the 10 day training  

The 10 day training is usually AMs, it is 8 hours every day.  Earliest report time is around 6-7am and you’re done at 2-3pm.  

For line training, you will have an AM report and your schedule will be whatever your trainer’s work is.

On 12/19/2023 at 10:11 AM, SevenEleven said:

The 10 day training is usually AMs, it is 8 hours every day.  Earliest report time is around 6-7am and you’re done at 2-3pm.  

For line training, you will have an AM report and your schedule will be whatever your trainer’s work is.

On 12/19/2023 at 10:11 AM, SevenEleven said:

Thanks and what kind of shift to new people is usually get or it depends on the depot. Ik they don’t want anybody working anywhere else really but with a one year probation I can imagine some people being hesitant just giving up their current job till after the probation.

2 hours ago, Trackguy718 said:

Thanks and what kind of shift to new people is usually get or it depends on the depot. Ik they don’t want anybody working anywhere else really but with a one year probation I can imagine some people being hesitant just giving up their current job till after the probation.

Depends where you land up and what work assignment you get. You can come out of line training picking an actual assignment or most times, be on the extra list. When I started on the list, I was PMs. 2-3PM reports, being done anywhere between 11P-2A.

You pick 4 times a year. 3 where you pick work at your current depot and the big system pick, that allows you to change depots and work.

On 12/19/2023 at 1:37 AM, Trackguy718 said:

Ik this post is a little old but anybody knows what time do the 10 days training end is it usually morning to afternoon and also the time they would have people do line training if somebody pass the 10 day training  

When I started the timeslots for the 7 day training were 06:00-14:00, 07:00-15:00 or 10:00-18:00. For line training you are paired with a senior operator who does the specified route you are learning for that day, every day for as many routes the depot you pick into or are assigned has. That also means you will be seeing morning work a lot during line training. I've done runs that started at 3-4 in the morning and have finished as late as 9pm.

5 hours ago, Trackguy718 said:

You can not hold a second job. You fill out a form for a request for outside employment on the first day and they'll automatically reject it. You are also advised not to quit your current job until after you pass the initial training and qualification. Getting through the probation period isn't difficult so long as you apply the principles you learn in training. You will be seeing late work mainly upon graduation but you may see early work here or there.

17 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

You are also advised not to quit your current job until after you pass the initial training and qualification.

I agree 100% because, as I learned the hard way, without the applicant's knowledge, the agency will produce a "memorandum" as you can see below, in which the last line, with the exception of a typographical error states "Comments on overall performance either indicate consideration for rehire in a title other than Bus Operator, if successful in the selection process, are not recommended for rehire in any (other) title."

In addition, if I recall correctly, if you fail the 10-Day Bus Operator Training Session, not only is the candidate prohibited from retrying for five [5] calendar years, however, at the same time, you are only eligible to try again for the same agency. As an example, I failed the "TA" Bus Operator Training Session and I received multiple "1-in-3" letters for MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company. I will agree that this is "unfortunate," however, at the same time, it is what it is.

FYI_Two_Modified.thumb.jpg.708960c060f6ad8fe2c8bc6284bb69d9.jpg