Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
RTS4Life

Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

There won't be any parallel parking or backing. You may have to do some part of the pre-trip and brake test but most instructors just get to the nitty gritty on Day 7. You will be tested on everything that you've been taught, since you'll be applying it as you drive along. Look at your daily sheets and take note on what your instructor wrote on them, as they are the hints to what you need to improve on (like right side coverage) and what they may be looking at more.

Typical Day 7 messups:

- Failure to check mirrors every 3-5
- Failure to secure the bus
- Failure to maintain the 4 ft clearance
- Failure to cover your right side
- Failure to acknowledge a hazard within your 4 ft -- bikes, peds, etc. (And not stopping / getting away, if they are in your 4 ft)
- Failure to acknowledge a potential hazard (Call everything out, talk bout potential things that can play out -- like the cab cutting in front of you)
- Failure to hit that horn approaching / passing a hazard
- Having to get backed up
- Getting into an accident
-Hitting those construction cones in the street, counts as hitting a fixed object.

- Mis-timing a light and ending up stopped in the crosswalk. Anything past is running the light. If you're making a turn, if you are not at your reference point, then you are not committed, thus you are caught in the intersection.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Felcel said:

Monday will be day 5 of training out of kingsbridge. The instructor tells me I'm doing well but I just have to cover my right side ASAP!. My questions is, how long do we drive on qualification day? Are we told right away if we passed or do we wait until the other drivers are done?

Who’s your Supt?

On 2/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, Felcel said:

You're absolutely right! I have to cover my right side more often. My other question is, on qualification day are we doing everything we have learned the days before? For example, parallel parking, hook turns, servicing bus stops?? Since I have my cdl I dont have to take road test my, my instructor told me to focus on what we have learned thus far. 

Also, what gets you disqualified on day 7 besides the obvious getting charlie braked hitting the curb red lights, speed.

Thanks for your reply

Keep in mind that day 6 is also critical. You'll be in lower Manhattan. Getting trolley braked on Day 6 is an automatic Day 8 and 9!

Edited by SoSpectacular
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Felcel said:

I passed on day 7! 

Can mabstoa operators work in any brooklyn depot?

Congratulations, where did you do your day 7 qualification if you don't mind me asking?

We did day 7 in the lower east side. I though the route was easier compare to the other days

On 2/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, Felcel said:
16 hours ago, Felcel said:

We did day 7 in the lower east side. I though the route was easier compare to the other days

Ok, what street does the route start and end?

On 2/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, Felcel said:

I passed on day 7! 

Can mabstoa operators work in any brooklyn depot?

Yes, you can pick into any Brooklyn depot except for Spring Creek. Congrats!

8 hours ago, train1290 said:

Ok, what street does the route start and end?

Just keep in mind that your Day 7 will differ because your superintendent can take you anywhere. Focus moreso on what you need to do to get through the route. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Any advice during line training? I chose ulmer park depot. Pleaseee tell me good things about it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Felcel said:

Any advice during line training? I chose ulmer park depot. Pleaseee tell me good things about it

Ulmer Park has the B1, B3, B6, B36, B64, B74 and the express routes: X27/28 and the X37/38.

Not too versed on their lines but always pay attention to what the operator you are assigned to tells you about the line you train on. Ulmer Park also does some school trips that involve runs on the B9 (usually not the entire route), which is based out of Gleason.