Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

A quick question, and it might've been covered before but needs clarification for those without their CDL - the qualification day [7]: is the day of your road test with DMV, or is this a general test from MTA's instructors? I ask because I have a relative who qualified years ago, and had to wait til during her line training to go back to Zerega for her DMV road test.

I have exactly 2 weeks til I start training (see 5025 thread for additional updates).

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A quick question, and it might've been covered before but needs clarification for those without their CDL - the qualification day [7]: is the day of your road test with DMV, or is this a general test from MTA's instructors? I ask because I have a relative who qualified years ago, and had to wait til during her line training to go back to Zerega for her DMV road test.

I have exactly 2 weeks til I start training (see 5025 thread for additional updates).

Hey Acela,

Day 7 will be your MTA Test, hence qualifying day 7, but it's also important what you do on days 5 and 6. Don't run any curbs, drive the way MTA teaches you. You will be with the same superintendent from day 1 to day 7. (Technically day 1 will be in Zerega next day is your day 1 in assigned depot.) If you qualify on day 7 you do other things in Zerega, and wait on those who go on days 8, 9, 10 who are assigned to a different superintedent than the one who you failed with on day 7. Later on when you are in line training that's when your DMV road test is done. Hope that clears things up for you. Good luck.

Thanks, Vlad D.

Later on when you are in line training that's when your DMV road test is done. Hope that clears things up for you. Good luck.

Approximately when, during line training, will you be called back to Zerega for the road test? I understand line training is about 2-3 weeks, but I guess that depends on your depot. I was told that you're trained at least 1 day on each line; so for a depot such as Ulmer Park with 6 local lines, line training would be 6 days.

Is this safe to assume?

Hey Acela,

Day 7 will be your MTA Test, hence qualifying day 7, but it's also important what you do on days 5 and 6. Don't run any curbs, drive the way MTA teaches you. You will be with the same superintendent from day 1 to day 7. (Technically day 1 will be in Zerega next day is your day 1 in assigned depot.) If you qualify on day 7 you do other things in Zerega, and wait on those who go on days 8, 9, 10 who are assigned to a different superintedent than the one who you failed with on day 7. Later on when you are in line training that's when your DMV road test is done. Hope that clears things up for you. Good luck.

:tup::tup: and guys take your time and swallow your pride, remember they hold that pen to sign you off to do line training. So if you dont like being told how to do things the right way or being told your doing it the wrong way, you better start practicing your ways and bad habits you diiigggg. Once again take your time and listen to them at all times. GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

Thanks, Vlad D.

Approximately when, during line training, will you be called back to Zerega for the road test? I understand line training is about 2-3 weeks, but I guess that depends on your depot. I was told that you're trained at least 1 day on each line; so for a depot such as Ulmer Park with 6 local lines, line training would be 6 days.

Is this safe to assume?

ye pretty safe to assume, but unfortunate reality is you will most likely end up in the Bronx or Manhattan. So for example @Gun Hill we have about 16 lines, some are simular so it'll take you 2-3 weeks to learn them and depending how well you know Bronx might not even be enough time. 1 thing for sure they will teach you all the lines, articulated buses including SBS buses, they can only teach you after you pass your DMV road test. Whatever lines you don't learn, on your last day they will send you to ride them, all day fully paid. My advice take good notes.

I CAN'T give you an answer on a definite time frame when in line training you will be called for a DMV road test, all I can tell you it'll be about a month after your very 1st day in Zerega and before Graduation. I live 10 minutes away from Ulmer Park, about 20 -25 from either Gleason or Flatbush, didn't know BX at all when I came there, but got used to it. At the time of the pick there was no SI, Queens or good depots in Bklyn. So most of us ended up in either Kingsbridge, West Farms, Gun Hill or Manhattan. I for example am waiting till the end of the yr (General Pick) to transfer back to Bklyn. It all goes according to seniority, so I'm forced to wait til Gen. Pick and hope :cry: to get the depot that I want. Good luck to us all. :tup::tup::o

That sucks that they can send somebody from a TA list to a mabstoa

depot, but it's only temporary until the next pick. Some of us on the 8006

list have no interest whatsoever driving in Manhattan or in the Bronx.

I for one don't. I hate driving in manhattan and the bronx in my own car.

I for one don't. I hate driving in manhattan and the bronx in my own car.

I hear you, but I was in the same boat myself where either I had to take what I was given or decline the opportunity and look for job somewhere else. By the time you start, do line training and before you know it comes time to transfer to Bklyn or may be you get used to it and will want to stay. I thought like you when I started, but I got used to the lines (which I thought I'll never say). :tup: I like the lines and I got used to my co-workers, but the commute is stil a pain in the a.....

Hey, sorry if this question was answered already but which depots are considered TA? I saw on the previous page a list of MaBstoa and MTA Bus depots.

Brooklyn:

(1)ENY

(2)Flatbush

(3)Fresh Pond

(4)Grand Ave

(5)Gleason

(6)Ulmer Park

Queens:

(1)Stengel

(2)Jamaica

(3)Queens Village

Staten Island:

(1)Castleton

(2)Yukon

(3)Charleston

Hey, sorry if this question was answered already but which depots are considered TA?

In addition to Locomotion69's post above; there's also one TA depot in Manhattan - that's 126th Street Depot.

Also, just future reference - "Unions"; Manhattan, Brooklyn, and the Bronx are part of the TWU100; Staten Island & Queens are part of the ATU.

Thanks again, Vlad D.

I've had a change of heart of whether I drive in Manhattan or the Bronx. It would actually be a nice challenge for me to operate those Artics in high traffic areas, even through Times Square. The old saying goes is, "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere."; the saying goes for driving as well.

My preference would be Brooklyn first (preferably Ulmer Park or Jackie Gleason; anywhere in BK would be OK aside from East New York), then the Bronx (Gun Hill or West Farms); Manhattan (126th Street or MJQ Depot) will be my last resort. I'm only excluding Queens because of their ATU committment to lock you once you're in; and Staten Island because it's too fucCing far, and because of ATU too. :-p

Thanks again, Vlad D.

I've had a change of heart of whether I drive in Manhattan or the Bronx. It would actually be a nice challenge for me to operate those Artics in high traffic areas, even through Times Square. The old saying goes is, "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere."; the saying goes for driving as well.

My preference would be Brooklyn first (preferably Ulmer Park or Jackie Gleason; anywhere in BK would be OK aside from East New York), then the Bronx (Gun Hill or West Farms); Manhattan (126th Street or MJQ Depot) will be my last resort. I'm only excluding Queens because of their ATU committment to lock you once you're in; and Staten Island because it's too fucCing far, and because of ATU too. :-p

You welcome, Acela. Artics are actually fun to drive,once you get used to them. All my classmates hated it when we got to the Bx, including me, now we chilling in the Bx,like it is what it is and we got to do this for now. ;) :cool::cool: That's the right attitude :tup:

It is what it is is definitely right - no doubt about it.

Can you describe your qualification day in detail; also your DMV qualification day - how'd it go?

I qualified on day 7. Was just a regular day. We came in the morning did about 30-40 minutes of driving each, and went on lunch right after. After lunch out Sup'nt had us drive for another 40-50 minutes that included parking, straight backing, pre-tripping a bus and told us all 3 of us qualified. We came up to Zerega he had to fill out some paper work and from what I can remember we were done. :)

DMV road test you come in 7am to Zerega. You take 19A qualification test (you can't fail as it is an open book 20 questions). RT area is right there by Zerega. After everyone is done Sup'nt takes you out in a van to show you RT area. Day before RT you come to Zerega to practice, (sometimes that's when they show you the RT area ) ask questions and go back on RTS for parking, backing up etc. I said RTS, because you are used to driving hybrid bus by then, and that's like driving brand new 2011 Camry (<-hybrid) and now you have to go back on 1994 Pontiac Grand Am (<-RTS). If you fail RT, don't worry you get another chance, no one failed on 2nd time as of yet. I believe 8 or 8:30am DMV lady/man shows up and from there your own fate is in your own hands for the most part. Don't worry, you'll be fine. I've never drove anything bigger than a regular van before I started. Just don't let your nerves take over, be calm and confident, Don't run any curbs, don't do anything dangerous, do the way MTA taught you and you'll definitely pass.:cool::cool::cool::tup::tup:

I'd like to set the record straight on what will happen on the training bus providing you get through the initial investigation process:

Do's:

On time at your reporting location (20-30 min. before report time)

Sit up close and pay attention

Listen to your instructor

Ask questions if you don't understand something requested of you

Read your training manual every night

Don’ts:

Debate your instructor

Think because you have a CDL you will automatically pass

Be ashamed to resign if you feel the job is not for you

Listen to negative remarks from other students

Be in denial when your instructor documents an unsatisfactory performance

You will be assigned an instructor and a report depot. You will not be placed at a depot near your home intentionally. It's chosen at random and if it ends up that way, good for you.

The first couple of days on the bus you will be observed for any bad habits you may have brought to the training bus. This is the case with students who may have driven a bus or a large vehicle, school bus etc... in the past.

You will also be taught the skills that must be performed satisfactory by the final evaluation done by your instructor. You will be evaluated every day on your performance either Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory on routine items such as:

Air Brake Tests, Mirror Positioning and Use, Right and Left Turns, Highway Driving, Parking, Straight Line Backing, Bus Stops etc... After the first couple of days, you may be taken to Manhattan to see how you perform in the most challenging conditions. You may return the next day to Manhattan in preparation for your final evaluation from your instructor. Heavy-abrupt braking, excessive speed, rubbing or mounting a curb, unable to park, any use of the trolley brake (A brake used by the instructor) by the instructor to avoid contact between another vehicle etc... or prevent you from mounting a curb will result in an automatic failure.

There will be 3 decision days, Day 7, 9 and the final opportunity on Day 10. Do not put pressure on yourself to have to qualify in 7 days. This is a mistake. The extra 2 or 3 days of training either for the Day 9 release or Day 10, might be just what you need. Those who receive an Unsatisfactory on Day 10 will resign or be terminated by Management, period! This is serious and an Instructor wants to see you are capable of operating in passenger service without the instructor being there with you any longer. Should you qualify and get through the training bus, you will be assigned according to seniority a Bus Depot where you will begin to learn the routes with an operator from that depot. Midway through the 4 weeks learning the routes, those who must take a NYSDMV Road Test will do so at this time. Failures to this DMV Road Test could result in your termination. When you successfully qualify from the training bus, you are absolutely ready for your Road Test with DMV.

In closing, you will be the best at what you do, the best! The training department is a proud place and only the best move forward!

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Edited by SimMan
Need to add an important statement based on so many putting pressure on themselves to qualify in 7 days when they can also qu

straker211,

It sounds like he wasn't ready for day 7. He went on for one more day of training. well he made it. and good luck to all. when making a turn keep about 4ft away from park cars. Before making a turn plan it in your head line up the hand rail or your bumper.watch your rear. don't give any gas when making a turn. If your making a left turn and their is 3 lanes take the 2nd left lane so you have more space to make a turn.

Hi RTS,

Thank you for the wealth of information thus far. When you say Line up your hand rail and bumper, what are you lining them up with and why?

Thank you in advance,

AF;)

AF,

If I may, let me just tell you that you are going to fill your head with so many well intended helpful hints that we all try to list on this site, but please just stop trying to memorize all the different formulas on how to turn, when to turn, clearances etc.. before you see it performed by your instructor.

You are going to receive different opinions and the one that matters is the one coming from your instructor. He or she will determine based on your performance whether to pass or fail you. The instructors are the best in the country, and they speak the same message, however they may use different words to express their objectives.

I have written what I know is all that you should be concerned with in my previous writing. Do yourself a favor and follow your manual and read the following day's task the night before. Clear your mind, be like a sponge and absorb what your instructor teaches, when your instructor shows it to you. You don't want to panic if what your instructor teaches is something other than what you were preparing for by all of the different helpful well intended tips.

All the best!

AF,

If I may, let me just tell you that you are going to fill your head with so many well intended helpful hints that we all try to list on this site, but please just stop trying to memorize all the different formulas on how to turn, when to turn, clearances etc.. before you see it performed by your instructor.

You are going to receive different opinions and the one that matters is the one coming from your instructor. He or she will determine based on your performance whether to pass or fail you. The instructors are the best in the country, and they speak the same message, however they may use different words to express their objectives.

I have written what I know is all that you should be concerned with in my previous writing. Do yourself a favor and follow your manual and read the following day's task the night before. Clear your mind, be like a sponge and absorb what your instructor teaches, when your instructor shows it to you. You don't want to panic if what your instructor teaches is something other than what you were preparing for by all of the different helpful well intended tips.

All the best!

Hi SimMan,

Thanks for your advice and your right about this. It doesn't matter what you know, because as you stated the Authority will want you to drive it their way all in all. Just getting a bit restless leading up to the 15th.

Thanks again,

AF

I'd like to set the record straight on what will happen on the training bus providing you get through the initial investigation process:

Do's:

On time at your reporting location (20-30 min. before report time)

Sit up close and pay attention

Listen to your instructor

Ask questions if you don't understand something requested of you

Read your training manual every night

Don’ts:

Debate your instructor

Think because you have a CDL you will automatically pass

Be ashamed to resign if you feel the job is not for you

Listen to negative remarks from other students

Be in denial when your instructor documents an unsatisfactory performance

You will be assigned an instructor and a report depot. You will not be placed at a depot near your home intentionally. It's chosen at random and if it ends up that way, good for you.

The first couple of days on the bus you will be observed for any bad habits you may have brought to the training bus. This is the case with students who may have driven a bus or a large vehicle, school bus etc... in the past.

You will also be taught the skills that must be performed satisfactory by the final evaluation done by your instructor. You will be evaluated every day on your performance either Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory on routine items such as:

Air Brake Tests, Mirror Positioning and Use, Right and Left Turns, Highway Driving, Parking, Straight Line Backing, Bus Stops etc... After the first couple of days, you may be taken to Manhattan to see how you perform in the most challenging conditions. You may return the next day to Manhattan in preparation for your final evaluation from your instructor. Heavy-abrupt braking, excessive speed, rubbing or mounting a curb, unable to park, any use of the trolley brake (A brake used by the instructor) by the instructor to avoid contact between another vehicle etc... or prevent you from mounting a curb will result in an automatic failure.

There will be 3 decision days, Day 7, 9 and the final opportunity on Day 10. Do not put pressure on yourself to have to qualify in 7 days. This is a mistake. The extra 2 or 3 days of training either for the Day 9 release or Day 10, might be just what you need. Those who receive an Unsatisfactory on Day 10 will resign or be terminated by Management, period! This is serious and an Instructor wants to see you are capable of operating in passenger service without the instructor being there with you any longer. Should you qualify and get through the training bus, you will be assigned according to seniority a Bus Depot where you will begin to learn the routes with an operator from that depot. Midway through the 4 weeks learning the routes, those who must take a NYSDMV Road Test will do so at this time. Failures to this DMV Road Test could result in your termination. When you successfully qualify from the training bus, you are absolutely ready for your Road Test with DMV.

In closing, you will be the best at what you do, the best! The training department is a proud place and only the best move forward!

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Holy shit bro, lol well said and put together. Everyone that's going into training that's the truth on what sim said so get it together and get rid of any bad habits you may have, I sure did have bad habits when I went into training, B/c I used to work for CT transit for 3 and a half years. I went into training with the newbie attitude and it work which I qualified on day 7 with ease. My instructor said he knew I had experience and that he liked how I kept that to myself and act like if I know it all. He also said if it was up to him he would had qualified me on day 5 lol. So after I finish day 7 he asked where did I worked and what vehicle I drove in CT transit which I drove MCI , nova, new flyers and artics so he lol and said I was already well rounded just needed to drive the mta way. GOOD LUCK to everyone going into BOOT CAMP.