What is the Lowest numbered RTS you've seen in service?

CPBO

There is an irony here. The last delivery of Old Look Flxibles had five MABSTOA units (9160 - 9164) that came in with 8V71 motors. The guys used to line up for these buses because they really had get up and go. I remember opening them up driving from Pelham Bay to City Island. Those suckers moved. Why they reverted to the 6V71 when they knew the RTS was a heavier bus I do not know.

Those were purchased for the Ave. B & E. Bway company, which was taken over around the time. I belive they had the orange padded seats. I saw one passing by once, though I didn;t get to ride any like that until that fleet's last years, when they were in Staten Island. Though I was paying attention to engine sounds then, and the one I was one was a regular 6V71 (I didn't even know any of them, or anything in (NYCT) ever had 8V71's besides those 011xx fishbowls in SI express service).

Some Grummans were purchased for that company as well, even though it was completely absorbed by then. as well.

Now that I think about it, I do remember catching a GMC RTS (can for the life of me remember the number, I think it was a 3xx) on the Q35 right after (MTA) Bus was formed. I would always go the the very rear of the bus in the corner and open the back windows and just listen to those engines roar. That's what got me into liking the RTS

That and cuz the seats was green and the bus still had the green stripe (which is my favorite color)

1291, the old metrocard bus. Other then that there was 221 aka The Green Lines Museum Bus, 10001.

Correct! A lot of people dont know that it was delivered as 221, but immediately changed to 10001 to reflect it's build number.

Wait does the Phoenix count lol...technically, thats numbered 0010 (although the original number was 4396)

I don't see why not.

I wonder if anyone remembers a bus 2 at Steinway Transit---a narrow slopeback.

As I have said before, I do remember the 1000-series RTSs at Green, which were slopebacks and had rear doors like the front doors. I also remember 351-356 when they were in service; they were recognizable because they had electronic signs and were owned by Command (351 still sits dead in the Varsity lot today).

Remember it? I drove that bad boy and my Dad drove it when it was brand new. We are both Steinway Transit veterans. Number 2 was a fast old bird when I drove it in 1987,got it up to 60 mph going uphill.

• 1 month later...

As I have said before, I do remember the 1000-series RTSs at Green, which were slopebacks and had rear doors like the front doors. I also remember 351-356 when they were in service; they were recognizable because they had electronic signs and were owned by Command (351 still sits dead in the Varsity lot today).

Green Lines RTS 1012 is in another part of the Varsity Lot.

I remember first seeing those Command Buses In lower manhattan when i was growing up in the BX! 351 still sits in the lot??? Sweet!

Green Lines RTS 1012 is in another part of the Varsity Lot.

when i moved to Far Rock in 1990 this was the very first slopeback i ever rode!!! The oldest RTS ive rode up untill them was the 2200's Back in the early 80s! I dont remember the actual number but i do remember The same day i rode 2- one on the old Bx34(now Bx6), and the old Bx13(now Bx22)! But GL 1012......WOW! I remember when GL stopped using the slopes and they sat in the lot across from the then Arverne Garage until the takeover in 06. 1013 saw my biggest fight in JHS on the Q22 special from IS 53!

memories....

And those of you saying NYCT 4000's and up....you make a guy feel old! LOL

Yes, I remember seeing 11xx or 10xx RTS out of Far Rockaway on the Q11.

I remember seeing the following:

11xx & 10xx out of Far Rockaway

5995 out of JFK

80xx-8300 out of LGA

70xx or 72xx out of LGA

9700's out of LGA

ITs a rodeo bus...

8496 is at Eastchester Scrap. I have some pictures that I took yesterday...

Yes, I remember seeing 11xx or 10xx RTS out of Far Rockaway on the Q11.

I remember seeing the following:

11xx & 10xx out of Far Rockaway

5995 out of JFK

80xx-8300 out of LGA

70xx or 72xx out of LGA

9700's out of LGA

8496 is at Eastchester Scrap. I have some pictures that I took yesterday...

If you are talking about MTA Bus then it was 11xx because 10xx was Green Lines Era.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually meant the 1100's out of FR.

Not to be off-topic, but I did see an RTS the other day out of FR on the Q21. I think it was a former LGA bus, not sure. I couldn't see the number.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember 630-1 at Green Lines? It was a former Triboro RTS 03 that I heard was kept at GBL garage in 1999. I don't know much about it and there is no accessable pictures of it now as they are on the now closed Geocities and TransitWorld.org. I read they also had 631-1-636-1 barrowed from Triboro and there was also 301-1-310-1 barrowed from Jamaica Buses.

Archived