Albany is off it's rocker on new fare discount ideas.

Kamen Rider

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool...I'll only have to pay $1.70...guess staying in college pays off B)

On a serious note we can all blame Albany for the MTA's downfall in the next round of service cuts and farehikes.

I don't agree with this at all. The (MTA) would lose more money instead making money to improve the system.. Plus Isn't the state ALSO broke?! So how the hell are they gonna help fund....???

Leave everything how it is... No need for free or discounted rides.. We already have that... STUDENT METROCARDs, Reduced Fare METROCARDs, free rides for NYPD/FDNY with there own special METROCARD....

Plus these people want to cut down on farebeating the system, but now they are making it sound like farebeating can go on, with free/discounted rides for the Seniors and Students.. Hell effing no..

Again, leave it alone and we are good!

Cool...I'll only have to pay $1.70...guess staying in college pays off B)

On a serious note we can all blame Albany for the MTA's downfall in the next round of service cuts and farehikes.

I definitely support the idea of free/discounted rides, but there definitely has to be a funding mechanism to pay for them. If congestion pricing is passed to help pay for this, I would be behind it 100%.

But with no funding mechanism, I can only imagine what the service cuts would look like. You'd have seniors with free MetroCards and no buses to use them on (or overcrowded buses that they can't fit on)

Giving college students discounted metrocards is the least the state can do for raising tuition, cutting financial aid and throwing us into an economy with no sustainable career opportunities.

That is the problem, though: The state isn't paying for the rides.

That is the problem, though: The state isn't paying for the rides.

I know, my prior statement was mostly bitterness towards the state (and possibly sarcasm).

When I first read this I literally checked to make sure this wasn't the Onion or those Yes Men people at it again. This is documented proof that Albany has just completely lost it and are just the most insane, the most mind boggling group of functionally retarded people on the face of this earth.

Yay, discounted rides!

Oh wait, Mangano thinks the (MTA) is evil because they paid a bit too much overtime and doesn't want to give them anything and thinks someone else can run 45 bus routes, two garages, and a fleet of 300 CNG buses and maintenance for eight million dollars.

College students should not get half fares just because they are in school. There is no money to pay for this and it doesn't stimulate the economy. It's just another entitlement in a state and city and country filled with too many to begin with.

End millionaire tax breaks, send that money to transit, plug the operating budget deficit with that money, then see if there's any money left. But don't consider this insanity. F***ing gubbermint just can't stop spending, even if it's forcing a public authority to spend, and even after cutting spending.

The only free rides that I think are great are student metrocards. Everyone else is an adult and should be able to get one themselves. Just because they can't get a job doesn't mean that everyone else should pay for them. Discounts for college kids, well I think that's a good idea as well but if the MTA can't afford it then they should have to pay the full price.

The only free rides that I think are great are student metrocards. Everyone else is an adult and should be able to get one themselves. Just because they can't get a job doesn't mean that everyone else should pay for them. Discounts for college kids, well I think that's a good idea as well but if the MTA can't afford it then they should have to pay the full price.

The police and fire department don't deserve to get everything for free. Make them pay full fare. College students can get special MetroCards, usable only twice a day, and offer a discounted $1.75 fare.

Every bus driver in NYC gives out free rides. I once counted 37 people shorting the MTA in a 8 hour shift on my bus alone(B52). So Albany ,the MTA is giving there fair share of free rides out.

What line do you drive ????

Probably somewhere in the GOOD part of the city.

Come to B41 or 46 and parts of the 6 and you will count 37 people in less then one leg of the trip

:P

But your already getting "Free Rides". Its Called 3 Free fare with FULL FARE and paying half the cost of 2.25 for those of HALF FARE.

Why give students Free unlimited metrocards? To allow them to share with there friends to fare beat or others? A lot of students dont even apply for Full or Half Fare metrocard and they still hop the turnstile..

In this economy, the state must be high or something.... This state is broke and the rest! We can't afford all of this at this time!

Some people believe everyone's 'entitled' to something. And to hell with how it has to be funded. They think money grows on trees.

What they should do is what they were talking about doing: half fare student cards and then outright elimination of the 'free cards'. The burden for those cards should be a DOE issue, NOT MTA.

Well this is why our nation is falling apart, because we don't when to spend our money, and when we do it's almost never the right thing, or at the right time. This is why if Alexander Hamilton could come, and look at our debt he did fall flat on his face, and cry right now.

But your already getting "Free Rides". Its Called 3 Free fare with FULL FARE and paying half the cost of 2.25 for those of HALF FARE.

Why give students Free unlimited metrocards? To allow them to share with there friends to fare beat or others? A lot of students dont even apply for Full or Half Fare metrocard and they still hop the turnstile..

In this economy, the state must be high or something.... This state is broke and the rest! We can't afford all of this at this time!

College students don't get Student MetroCards.

And the last time I checked, if a MetroCard has 3 rides on it, it isn't an Unlimited MetroCard.

I meant 3 free rides on school days. Kids need to go to school, and some families can't afford to use the subway/bus to get their kids to school. If we don't supply them with metrocards then some might drop out and resort to crime and/or violence. College isn't compulsory so free metrocards shouldn't be given out. If anything give them discounted ones at $1.75 usable for 3 free rides a day on school days only.

wait a minute.... why do college students need to get discounts all of a sudden? when i was going to college, i didn't get one. why can't college students find a job working part time somewhere to fund their own monthly unlimited card? i hear mcdonald's is hiring. boy... have times changed. everyone feels like they are entitled to everything without having to lift a finger.

Archived