Your first bus ride?

Gorgor

Got this idea from the one posted in the subway section.

I'm sure it's a fuzzy memory, but do you remember your first bus ride? What route was it, and how did you feel?

I remember that my parents would either drive or take a cab everywhere and they'd always say how slow the buses were. I'm not positive if this is my first, but I clearly remember waiting for the X90 or X92 (I forget which one) bus on York and seeing one of those regular buses with the padded seats come. I was really little then and I was scared when the bus came roaring to the stop, but as soon as I sat down I felt fine because the seats were so comfortable, and was disappointed when I realized that not all buses were like that.

I don't remember much after that, but I remember going on the FDR at 23rd and falling back in my seat as we accelerated down the highway and that the highway slopes upwards there. When my mom told me it was time to get off I didn't want to because I felt so comfortable and was almost asleep.

I remember spending the whole day in Battery Park City, going into the World Financial Center, World Trade Center :cry:, and getting really good ice cream somewhere. The return trip was nice and I think I fell asleep or was just so tired because I remember my mom carrying me from the bus stop to our apartment. :P

My first ride sure wasn't on the X90 (lol), but I grew up not too far from Church and Nostrand so I had RTS' on the B44 and RTS' and Orion 5.501 CNGs on the B35...and even Diesel Orion 5s on the B35! The Diesel O5s had the Detroit Diesel 6V92 while the CNG O5s had the Cummins L10G engine. In addition I lived close to the B12 as well which had RTS'. So my first ride was either an RTS or Orion 5.

LOL... Gorgor was raised on the X90... Well I can't remember which bus I was on but I'm sure it was some local bus in Brooklyn... I think my mom also preferred car service more though. What I do remember as a kid was the first time I went to Manhattan w/my mom. I was a little dude back then so I found everything rather amazing, esp. the tall skyscrapers and such. :cool: Oh yeah and it seemed like food was like always double the price of what it was in Brooklyn for some reason. :)

I also remember being on the subway once w/my father back in the days when the subways weren't so safe. I think we were on the (A) line somewhere by 42nd st. My dad was about my height with a temper like me, so I never had to worry about anything. LOL

My Very First Bus Ride Was On A Gmc Out Of Ulmer Park #3690 or 3960 i think , i rode it on the b36 i was happy as hell . I been a fan of buses since i was 1 year old . I rode the gmcs until they got rid of them , then i rode the 9300s .

My first bus ride I remember was the B68 along Coney Island Avenue and the B9 bus along 60th Street both using RTS series bus, I believe I rode the same ones back in the day also using Orion 5 CNGs, which became my favorite bus after the RTS!

Archived