Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Amtrak7

NATO Phonetic Alphabet

Does NYCS use the NATO alphabet to refer to subway lines on the radio? It seems so, given the ones I know ((A) Alpha, (:) Bravo, (D) Delta, (R) Romeo, (M) Mike, etc.) But there are some weirder ones in the alphabet that I haven't heard before on NYCT radios, but is this what's used?

(G) golf

(H) hotel

(Z) zulu

(Q) Quebec

(F) foxtrot

(S) sierra

SIRT uses them, not sure about NYCT.

Golf

Hotel

Zulu

Quebec

Foxtrot

Sierra

NYCT uses it own alphabet:

(A) Apple

(:P Bravo

(C) Charlie

(D) Delta

(E) Echo

(F) Fox

(G) George

(J) Jay

(L) Larry

(M) Mikey or Mary

(N) Nancey

(Q) Quincey

(R) Romeo

(Z) Z

I forget what they called the (W) and (V) trains when they ran, but since there not running anymore, it's not important.

NYCT uses it own alphabet:

(A) Apple

(:P Bravo

(C) Charlie

(D) Delta

(E) Echo

(F) Fox

(G) George

(J) Jay

(L) Larry

(M) Mikey or Mary

(N) Nancey

(Q) Quincey

(R) Romeo

(Z) Z

I forget what they called the (W) and (V) trains when they ran, but since there not running anymore, it's not important.

Actually from the many times ive heard over my scanner, some of them have changed from what i remember.

(D) the Danny

(N) the "Norah" or what ever its spelled

Those I can remember so far.

The (V) was the Victor. The (W) idk.

Actually from the many times ive heard over my scanner, some of them have changed from what i remember.

(D) the Danny

(N) the "Norah" or what ever its spelled

I have never heard that. Norah is what the NYPD uses for "N" though.

I have never heard that. Norah is what the NYPD uses for "N" though.

Hmm. I guess RCC would only use it for Transit Police vice versa.

Hmm. I guess RCC would only use it for Transit Police vice versa.

No, RCC never talks over the PD radio, only over the 6 wire.

Yeah, it really depends on who's on the radio. Some people say November, some say Nancy, and I've heard one case where someone said Nina.

So the Rail Control Center and the T/O's communicate with each other by calling the trains names??...not by their routes? Also while Im here let me ask this question, in the film Taking of Pelham 123 (new or old) is that really how RCT dispatches trains?? By what time they leave their terminal like the (A) would be Lefferts324 if it departed Lefferts Blvd Station at 3:24?? Just Curious

So the Rail Control Center and the T/O's communicate with each other by calling the trains names??...not by their routes? Also while Im here let me ask this question, in the film Taking of Pelham 123 (new or old) is that really how RCT dispatches trains?? By what time they leave their terminal like the (A) would be Lefferts324 if it departed Lefferts Blvd Station at 3:24?? Just Curious

Something like that

B Division its the time it departed, what train it is, then where it left from example:

16:48 (N) (they say nancy or november) Coney Island...translates to "the (N) train that left Coney Island at 4:48 pm"

A division, I'm not so sure

So that A would be the 3.24 Apple out of Lefferts. That will be its call letters.

So that A would be the 3.24 Apple out of Lefferts. That will be its call letters.

Yes, Call letters, the identity of the train!

Something like that

B Division its the time it departed, what train it is, then where it left from example:

16:48 (N) (they say nancy or november) Coney Island...translates to "the (N) train that left Coney Island at 4:48 pm"

A division, I'm not so sure

They do things all f**ked up over there...

The only way I have heard train called has been for example. "13:32 Flat to Dyer, come in to Command Center."

They also call work trains in the "A" road masters. Really weird stuff.

It's like we use a modified version of the NATO letters. Not sure why they changed some of them.

I've never heard "Danny", but the next alternative for D was "dog". But that was mostly from the Crew Office and people talking in general that I heard that.

It's like we use a modified version of the NATO letters. Not sure why they changed some of them.

I've never heard "Danny", but the next alternative for D was "dog". But that was mostly from the Crew Office and people talking in general that I heard that.

The TD at DeKalb says dog all the time. The guy on the midnights....