BL20G & Clifton Shop

Y2Julio

BL20Gs are the only Railroad equipment SIRTOA has, from what i know. The R44s dont count as RR cars even if they meet FRA standard.

But them BL20s Look sweet!

Heard these were mistakenly placed on the MNCRR branches before and moved to SIR?

BL20Gs are the only Railroad equipment SIRTOA has, from what i know. The R44s dont count as RR cars even if they meet FRA standard.

But them BL20s Look sweet!

Heard these were mistakenly placed on the MNCRR branches before and moved to SIR?

Wrong ;) SIRTOA is the only Railroad that still actively uses cabooses, we also have hoppers and other miscellaneous MoW equipment.

I don't think so, but they were painted wrong at one point:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=258292

6079.1225543527.jpg

The SIRT order was attached to the big MNRR which allowed us to get a bigger bang for a buck had we put in a single order for 4 locomotives. 4 diesels for the price of two vs 4 for the price of four.

Wrong ;) SIRTOA is the only Railroad that still actively uses cabooses, we also have hoppers and other miscellaneous MoW equipment.

Thx for the correction. Yeah i forgot the Caboose sitting in clifton. Whats it for anyways?

There are two cabooses on the SIRT (or SIRR...whatever you want to call it!!);) .

One was transferred from the LIRR (where it originally came from the Illinois Central), the other one, I believe...from the best I can tell through my reference is of Baltimore and Ohio heritage (it would make sense).

They use them on work trains when shoving movements have to be made, as a safe place for the conductor to stand.

And as for the only "real" railroad equipment on Staten Island...those few pieces of SIRT equipment aren't the only ones.

Don't forget about the operations out in Howland Hook and Arlington Yard. Most of the times there is at least one NYCT (New York Container Terminal....NOT New York City Transit!!) GP-38's sitting there, along with a plethora of cars for containers and trash.

Awesome stuff.

The locos are not overkill, they are branch line equipment, and nothing could define SIR better than a branch line, even though it's an orphan branch at this point. They were moved from the mainland to the seaside yard track by weeks marine floating crane. The other older locos that are there will be retired soon.

I find it interesting that they have the cutouts for the 3rd rail on the pilot.

- A

Ok, that came out wrong [i'm not against SI getting new engines], but why [other than the 'budget covers them'] did they get such 'massive' engines. To me those engines look more suited for a heavier work load than basically subway equipment. Couldn't SI have gotten smaller engines?

SIR is technically a railroad, which links to other Railroad Lines that head into NJ.. TBH Id prefer to see RR equipment then Subway equipment on the SIRTOA.

Why should they get the subway locos. MNR doesn't need them, they have there own GP35s and BL20s. LIRR, idk what loco they use for move. Forgot the model.

As for fitting in St. George, Im pretty sure it can, otherwise the (MTA) wouldn't have them.

Ok, that came out wrong [i'm not against SI getting new engines], but why [other than the 'budget covers them'] did they get such 'massive' engines. To me those engines look more suited for a heavier work load than basically subway equipment. Couldn't SI have gotten smaller engines?

The BL20G's are far from massive engines. They are for light-medium loads. It was cheaper for SIRT to add an order for new engines with the MNRR order, rather than have engines designed specifically for SIRT. There is a decent amount of misc MoW work what the engines are used on as well. The diesels also allowed the SIRR to run service during the winter blizzard while most of the LIRR, MNRR and NYCT system wasn't running.

The BL20G's are far from massive engines. They are for light-medium loads. It was cheaper for SIRT to add an order for new engines with the MNRR order, rather than have engines designed specifically for SIRT. There is a decent amount of misc MoW work what the engines are used on as well. The diesels also allowed the SIRR to run service during the winter blizzard while most of the LIRR, MNRR and NYCT system wasn't running.

Ok, fair points. I stand corrected.

The diesels would also be useful in case if the SIRTOA in the future sees Freight service on the line and these BL20G's will help if there might be a break down as subway locomotives might not be powerful enough to pull these light-moderate freight loads. Meanwhile more engines might be added for almost impossible heavy loads.

On another note, Diesels cannot exceed and are restricted to a certain point in St. George's Terminal, note a Red Sign with White or Black Colored Signs on the ceilings of the station. Sadly I believe it is due to the smoke from the engines, but dk if the BL20G's have Overrunning 3rd Rail capabilites.

Nope, no 3rd rail shoes. They are purely diesels only.

The diesels would also be useful in case if the SIRTOA in the future sees Freight service on the line and these BL20G's will help if there might be a break down as subway locomotives might not be powerful enough to pull these light-moderate freight loads. Meanwhile more engines might be added for almost impossible heavy loads.

On another note, Diesels cannot exceed and are restricted to a certain point in St. George's Terminal, note a Red Sign with White or Black Colored Signs on the ceilings of the station. Sadly I believe it is due to the smoke from the engines, but dk if the BL20G's have Overrunning 3rd Rail capabilites.

How many online customers would still be left?