Train Operators view on R160 & R143

BMT4Life

Can the train operators please comment on what they think about the R143 & R160 trains from their personal experiences. (MTA)

Work with the R160's 2 times a week on the (N)ovember and i like the trains.

The HVAC dont bother me at all i dont know what the fuss is about it.

There is a difference with the operations in them though...

Alstom propulsion trains hold more brake cylinder air(up to 50lbs) brakes great and slide very little,but they dont take off as fast.

Siemens proulsion trains hold only 30 lbs brake cylinder air, take off much quicker, brake just as hard sometimes, but they do slide a little bit more its not much passengers cant feel it but the T/O does.

Looking forward to working with them on the (J) line...

I work with the R 143/ R160's three days a week and I love operating them.B) The only thing I don't like is R143's in CBTC I hate the train telling me how to operate. However the R143's in CBTC mode do operate faster then when on bypass by 5 MPH.

Next Pick I'll be low tech since the (M) couldn't give me a decent job and I learned to hate the (L).

If you don't listen to the train the Emergency Brakes apply or Full service brake applys. The train will come to a complete stop with "Brake Applied" indication on the computer if its a Full service. Then after the train stop you can proceed again when the Computer lets you. If the Brakes In Emergency occured then you have to notify Rail Control Center and be governed by thier instruction. They know you went in emergency before we call them on the (L) Line since CBTC/ATS they get the read outs on all the trains on the line and the alarm goes off at the RCC if your BIE, Overspeed,Station Overrun. If you don't listen to the Computer when its telling you to slow down you go in Emergency with the reason " Overspeed". Then Control will tell the T/O to call them when they get to the terminal and writen up for Improper Train Operation.

If you don't listen to the train the Emergency Brakes apply or Full service brake applys. The train will come to a complete stop with "Brake Applied" indication on the computer if its a Full service. Then after the train stop you can proceed again when the Computer lets you. If the Brakes In Emergency occured then you have to notify Rail Control Center and be governed by thier instruction. They know you went in emergency before we call them on the (L) Line since CBTC/ATS they get the read outs on all the trains on the line and the alarm goes off at the RCC if your BIE, Overspeed,Station Overrun. If you don't listen to the Computer when its telling you to slow down you go in Emergency with the reason " Overspeed". Then Control will tell the T/O to call them when they get to the terminal and writen up for Improper Train Operation.

that sad....ever since the CBTC went to the L line the train ride has been going slow

Speaking of, how are all you T/O's hands holding up? Any chance the TA might plan to do something about that R160 joystick on any of the new trains coming in or perhaps the option order (ie move it to the center or something) to give y'all hands a break??

Nope no plans to change the location of the Operators control. I do feel it in my hand sometimes but I am dealing with it.

CBTC does force the trains to operate slow in some cases like curves, Slow speed orders and Terminals. Also if a CBTC train follows a train in Bypass then the computer keeps you one station away regardless of the wayside signal aspect. Its crazy being held in the station looking at Green Signals.

Archived