Could the 3rd Ave El been saved, plus interconnected with todays Subway?

RailRunRob

Basically it's an upgraded streetcar, and there isn't any in NYC currently. There is a proposed light rail line for the West Shore of Staten Island though. It is a good option for Staten Island, and I have made a map for light rail, and upgrades on the SIR for Staten Island, but I won't post it here, because it would be too off topic.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Basically it's an upgraded streetcar, and there isn't any in NYC currently. There is a proposed light rail line for the West Shore of Staten Island though. It is a good option for Staten Island, and I have made a map for light rail, and upgrades on the SIR for Staten Island, but I won't post it here, because it would be too off topic.

It's not just an upgraded street car. It could also be used as a replacement for a railroad line. That has been done before in The Netherlands on a few lines.

But then again, a light rail wouldn't work in NYC. Maybe on SI, but not in the city or LI.

The North Shore Line is going to be reactivated as an SIR line. In my map however the SIR is extended from there to Newark Liberty International Airport to allow them to transfer to Amtrak, the Newark Monorail, and PATH trains. The West Shore Line is a light rail extension of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail, and runs on it's own ROW down the West Shore to Annadale. A light rail line on the Staten Island Expressway runs from Bay Ridge 95th Street (R) to the Staten Island Mall with it spurring off on Travis Avenue, and running down Richmond Avenue.

The North Shore Line is going to be reactivated as an SIR line. In my map however the SIR is extended from there to Newark Liberty International Airport to allow them to transfer to Amtrak, the Newark Monorail, and PATH trains. The West Shore Line is a light rail extension of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail, and runs on it's own ROW down the West Shore to Annadale. A light rail line on the Staten Island Expressway runs from Bay Ridge 95th Street (R) to the Staten Island Mall with it spurring off on Travis Avenue, and running down Richmond Avenue.

Nice... Your full of Idea's :P Maybe you should get into the world of Urban or Transportation planing.! Im going to ask you this.. Just see how far you've gone into the planing.. Why a LightRail over.. Over Extending the (R) or another line from Brooklyn? With Direct midtown access? Do you see forsee ridership need with Newark Liberty from Staten Island? I mean if the Path is extended that'll cover Midtown/Lower Manhattan.. Staten Island seems like it could use more Rapid transport.. The North Shore line shouldnt be that hard to restore.. Once again.. I love that your thinking and planing it's awesome just seeing if your up for the challenges that come with planing :)

There isn't any direct subway lines that I can see running from Manhattan to Staten Island due to the extreme length of nearly 6 miles, and the (R) is already as slow as it is. Want to see it move at a slower pace?. Currently I can't locate any viable lines in Brooklyn to expand to Staten Island either, but faster ferries for the Staten Island Ferry, and more destinations for the Staten Island Ferry should help.

There isn't any direct subway lines that I can see running from Manhattan to Staten Island due to the extreme length of nearly 6 miles, and the (R) is already as slow as it is. Want to see it move at a slower pace?. Currently I can't locate any viable lines in Brooklyn to expand to Staten Island either, but faster ferries for the Staten Island Ferry, and more destinations for the Staten Island Ferry should help.

There may not seem to be away.. But bottom line city planers are going to have to crack the code of a reliable one seat ride to Manhattan The network of Express Routes are good but are prone to traffic. As far as the (R) some one had the idea of extending it way back.. never followed up.. due to Opposition or funding or what mayhave you. But.. I honestly dont know if it be that much longer if being longer at all.. then the Ferry.. 95th to 59th is a mere 8mins... 59th to Canal.. 25mins (Via the Express) Just over 30mins from BayRidge to Manhattan.. If a person started from Hyland and The SIE.. it's a 16-17 min ride to St George(S78) Plus the hold over for the Ferry then 25mins just to get to the tip of Manhattan. Were as the 4th ave Line via the Bridge would leave you at Canal.. Northernmore. Plan B that person would just take the (S79) to the (R)(N) anyways. The Light Rail would do the same... with the capacity of Four bus Loads into 95 or 86th street station... Faster ferry Service may work.. but the issues of NewYorkBay it's biz port.. tons of maritime rules.. Abit different then the Rivers and ferries zipping to Points south via the Narrows.. Open waters down there. I think the (R) Is closest thing.. with a regalement of the 59th street Junction 40 Mins from SI to Manhattan could be a reality abit longer then the x1 But nonetheless A one seatride at half the price. One the flip if this ever happens SI's Population of 500k will surely rise in a hurry.. dont know if there ready.

about this: Since the (Q) and the (T) will both be running up 2 Av, have them split after 125 St/2 Av. Send the (Q) west with stops at Lexington-Park Avs (to connect to the Lexington Av lines), Lenox Av (to connect to the (2) and (3)), St. Nicholas Av (to connect to CPW), and Broadway/129 St (to connect to the (1)). Send the (T) north via a new tunnel to a new el with the following stops:

138 St-3 Av (underground, transfer to (6)<6>)

149 St (elevated, transfer to (2)(4)(5)

161 St-Concourse Plaza (connection to Harlem Line)

167 St

Claremont Pkwy

Tremont Av (Connection to Harlem Line)

183 St

Fordham Plaza ( Transfer to Bx12SBS, connection to Harlem and New Haven Lines)

Bedford Park Blvd

204 St

Gun Hill Rd (Transfer to (2)<5>, connection to Harlem Line)

Bronxwood Av

Knapp St(Transfer to (5))

Bartow Av

Bay Plaza(Transfer to Bx12SBS)

I would also advocate three-tracking the line at least as far as Gun Hill Rd; During rush the (T) would run express in peak direction from Gun Hill Rd to 125 St, stopping only at Fordham Plaza, Tremont Av, 149 St, and 138 St and a reconstituted <Q> would provide local service from Gun Hill Rd to 125 St. I would also locate the tunnel portals on the block bordered by 141 St, Canal Pl, 144 St, and Park Av because the only thing that would need to be knocked down would be an old warehouse, and cover the rail line from 144 St to Fordham Plaza. I completely agree with the proposal to create parkland along the ROW under the el during that stretch, and I proposed the Gun Hill Rd connection to give Co-op direct subway access.

If they can get the (A) from Manhattan to Far Rock/Rock Park, then they can get a Brooklyn-line to SI.

The line to the Rockaways existed before the (A) went to the Rockaways. Back then it was the LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch. The only reason the (A) even went there was, because the LIRR's trestle to the Rockaways burnt down. The (MTA) bought it for a low cost, and reconnected to the line. It won't exist today if it wasn't for that reason. Besides the (R) is way too long and it just won't be viable for an all local service to connect to Staten Island. The (A) runs express at certain points on the line unlike the (R) which only runs express for several stations in Queens.

about this: Since the (Q) and the (T) will both be running up 2 Av, have them split after 125 St/2 Av. Send the (Q) west with stops at Lexington-Park Avs (to connect to the Lexington Av lines), Lenox Av (to connect to the (2) and (3)), St. Nicholas Av (to connect to CPW), and Broadway/129 St (to connect to the (1)). Send the (T) north via a new tunnel to a new el with the following stops:

138 St-3 Av (underground, transfer to (6)<6>)

149 St (elevated, transfer to (2)(4)(5)

161 St-Concourse Plaza (connection to Harlem Line)

167 St

Claremont Pkwy

Tremont Av (Connection to Harlem Line)

183 St

Fordham Plaza ( Transfer to Bx12SBS, connection to Harlem and New Haven Lines)

Bedford Park Blvd

204 St

Gun Hill Rd (Transfer to (2)<5>, connection to Harlem Line)

Bronxwood Av

Knapp St(Transfer to (5))

Bartow Av

Bay Plaza(Transfer to Bx12SBS)

I would also advocate three-tracking the line at least as far as Gun Hill Rd; During rush the (T) would run express in peak direction from Gun Hill Rd to 125 St, stopping only at Fordham Plaza, Tremont Av, 149 St, and 138 St and a reconstituted <Q> would provide local service from Gun Hill Rd to 125 St. I would also locate the tunnel portals on the block bordered by 141 St, Canal Pl, 144 St, and Park Av because the only thing that would need to be knocked down would be an old warehouse, and cover the rail line from 144 St to Fordham Plaza. I completely agree with the proposal to create parkland along the ROW under the el during that stretch, and I proposed the Gun Hill Rd connection to give Co-op direct subway access.

I REALLY doubt the (MTA) will bring back ELs. And people on 3rd avenue will blow up if they even bother hearing Elevated trains coming to 3rd. A subway will do. However, i do like how you planned on sending it to Gun Hill and Co-Op.

I wish the (D) was extended, since originally it was suppose to go to Co-op City, nothing the northern relay tunnels which is pointing east.

I REALLY doubt the (MTA) will bring back ELs. And people on 3rd avenue will blow up if they even bother hearing Elevated trains coming to 3rd. A subway will do. However, i do like how you planned on sending it to Gun Hill and Co-Op.

I wish the (D) was extended, since originally it was suppose to go to Co-op City, nothing the northern relay tunnels which is pointing east.

Co-op needs all the Help it can get.. I hate going up there.

What the Bronx really needs is a crosstown line linked to Brooklyn, and Queens without running through Manhattan. Bronx has a lot of people that work outside of Manhattan.

Thats when you can use the Q44/Q50 to go to/from the Bx. I dont think a Subway would be built, but a BRT would so fine.

What the Bronx really needs is a crosstown line linked to Brooklyn, and Queens without running through Manhattan. Bronx has a lot of people that work outside of Manhattan.

Maybe using the BayRidge LIRR Line from Brooklyn into Queens and linking that to the Bronx.

Or light rail, but if demand is high enough they could extend or build subway lines for the city (Not just the Bronx crosstown idea), but right now subway construction takes a long time, and people just ignore the benefits, and ideas for an elevated line. New York City may see a lot more light rail lines substituting places where subway lines were needed in the near future.

That isn't a really good idea, because it's still used for freight, and Amtrak uses part of it as the Northeastern Corridor.

How many Trains use the line? And can it be rerouted to LIC ? The Hell Gate understandably hard.

Don't know for the first one, and railroad lines can't be used by subway lines unless if it was converted like the LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch, but Amtrak, and CSX won't just hand it over, and there isn't room on the Hell Gate Bridge except for 1 track which won't really help with subway service even if it can use that one track.

Archived