Prospective R179 lines - Part 2

ABQ RIDE

First since when is the (G) going to be using R68's? second the (:P cant use R46's because it runs on the brighton/concourse lines which use R68/A & R46's are only used on the queens blvd line

At some point (maybe someone can enlighten me as to when), the (G) will start being based out of Coney Island Yard rather than Jamaica. Ergo, it would have to run either R68s or R160s, since that's what's in CI.

Regarding your second question, the point of this thread is that assignments change. Just because right now "brighton/concourse" uses R68/A -- which isn't entirely true, the (Q) runs R160s on the Brighton -- doesn't mean it can't run something else later, or that it didn't run something else in the past. (Also, R46s are not only used on the Queens Blvd Line, the (A) uses them.)

Here's part of what I had revived the "New Assignments" thread with, almost a month ago:

I often wonder what the final assignment will be when the 179's and 211's are in.

The word tends to be that the (A) will get the 179's. It seemed like Jamaica would get them, before, but complaints on the (A) or something changed that. Of course, that would just push the 46's to the (C).

With the 211's, which should replace the 46's, I can imagine a few scenarios.

If they happened to be 75 feet, with 5 doors per car, that would be for the (E), and pushing the 160's to the (R). The rest might go to the (F), pushing more 160's elsewhere. If they're 60 ft, enough would probably go to Jamaica to replace the 46's, and then go directly to the next lines to get them.

Perhaps the (C) to make Pitkin/207 all one fleet. Or more likely, the (D) finally being next. So for the uptown lines, (which have totally gotten the shaft this round), either the (A)(C) with NTT's, the (:P(D) no change. Or, (A)(D) would have new trains, 68's (now the oldest) would be moved to the (C).

I wonder, though, with the salt water problem (which I too, recently heard is what did the 44's in), if they would determine that the computer equipment couldn't ever handle the salt. So you could see something like (A)(C) 68's/68A; (:P(D), 211's. That would keep with the current practice of PIT/207 having the oldest stuff. But then, I heard this was being complained against. Could you imagine (A) 68's, (C) 211's? Or how about (D) 68's, (B), 211's or 160;s, to address the sign change needs, plus to blend in with the rest of the NTT's in CI? (Since (D ) is separate at Concourse anyway)?

In the cases where the 68's are split, and NTT's distributed to all yards, it would be a very unique situations, and the system would be nearly homogenized (assuming the 179's and 211's look similar enough to the 160's). It would be like when the IND consisted almost entirely of R1-9's. It's hard to imagine the (A)(D) and (F) running all the same equipment again (and this long term distinction is one that still continues, with 160's, 46's and 68's). And the BMT, including even the East also now "equal' for a change! (I grew up in the 70's, when all the new stuff went to IND expresses!)

I know a lot of people don't want a homogenized system like that, but it would be very unusual in itself. And you wouldn't have whole sections screwed over with old stuff anymore, like before the NTT's began arriving.

Indeed.

As for the (A), maybe they could have it terminate at Howard beach so it can run the NTTs and have R68s for the Rockaways [served by the (H) and (S)]? Or they could have the (H) run to Euclid and replacing the Far Rock (A) entirely.

Either way, I don't see why the entire (A) line can't have NTTs just because of the stretch over Jamaica Bay.

@Kamen Rider: But you fail with that picture. There is a HUGE difference between those gap fillers on your picture and the automatic one's on the SLT. They never caused any trouble so far here. If you look at the video, you can see they hide when the doors close and come out when the doors open. So that's really different from the ones on your pictures which didn't do that (obviously, that technique wasn't there back then). Plus those gap fillers on the SLT are really cheap $$s.

The R188's are displacing cars from the Lexington Avenue line. Therefore the R62's on the (7) will head over to the Lex.

As Julio already stated, IRT cars are not compatible with the B-Division standard SIR platforms. And how would it be cheaper to have cars with gap filler? That's spending unnecessary money on top of the fact that it doesn't even make since.

WTF???? Those gap fillers we use that you can see in the video cost us barely nothing. And given that this is a Bombardier and Siemens-technique, it could easily be adapted in the USA and it would cost exactly the same: barely nothing.

WTF???? Those gap fillers we use that you can see in the video cost us barely nothing. And given that this is a Bombardier and Siemens-technique, it could easily be adapted in the USA and it would cost exactly the same: barely nothing.

Using trains built to A Division specs with or without gap fillers on a line designed to be used with B Division rolling stock is stupid plain and simple. Not only do you have added costs in developing the system, you'll have reduced passenger capacity due to the smaller cars.

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve in sending the R62As down to SI. First of all when the Javits Center station is ready, the (7) is going to need a few more trains to cover that end so you already lose the 'surplus'. Then you have the R62s which are a few years older and might need 'more care' - this is where having a few R62As around to fill in service helps.

SI should get B division trains as they can carry more ppl than the narrower A division cars. [5 x 51 x 8.5]= 2167.5 sq ft vs [4 x 75 x 10] = 3000 sq ft.

Well, considering the (A) and (C) are being held over for the R211, my vote for the four lines that could use the R179 the most are:

B

D

G

R

I would say that out of your choices, (:P and (R) are the most likely, depending whether the R179s get assigned to Coney Island or Jamaica. Considering the (G) is already confirmed to be moving to Coney Island and is slated to get R68As, I don't see the (G) getting R179s. As for the (D), I think the chances are very slim the R179s will be assigned to Concourse.

Here are the possible assignments that I would expect after R179 delievery:

(A) - R46

(;) - R68 and/or R68A, possibly R179s as well

(C) - R46

(D) - R68

(E) - R160

(F) - R160

(G) - R68A

(J) - R160 and R179

(L) - R143 and R160

(M) - R160

(N) - Either R160 or R179 depending on yard assignment

(Q) - Either R160 or R179 depending on yard assignment

(R) - Either R160 or R179 depending on yard assignment

(Z) - R160 and R179

(1) - R62A

(2) - R142

(3) - R62

(4) - R142 and R142A

(5) - R142

(6) - R62A

(7) - R188

(S) (Franklin) - R68

(S) (Rockaway) - Either R160 or R179 depending on yard assignment

S (42nd) - R62A

You aren't making any sense logically though. Of course they are cheep over there because they are standard equipment for that train. Why on earth would we send used A-Division cars with less capacity to SIR? Why should money be wasted for gap fillers? How can it possibly cost little to nothing? Since when does additional equipment cost less or about the same? My main question is why that would even be considered when cars are specifically made for each division? And I beg to differ on the costs. Adding gap fillers automatically adds unnecessary costs as well as safety hazards. Period.

Now on topic, I could see the R179's go to the (A)(C)(E) for the most part to bump the R46's to SI, and the R160's to Brighton.

Now you read my post wrong. I said those GAP FILLERS cost little to nothing, not the operation itself. And there are no safety hazards on the gap fillers, else we wouldn't have 'em too. They're proven safe here.

But even so, what it does it matter how long the cars are? Does SI really need long R46 cars? On videos, SIRT doesn't seem like it's getting used to much.

Now you read my post wrong. I said those GAP FILLERS cost little to nothing, not the operation itself. And there are no safety hazards on the gap fillers, else we wouldn't have 'em too. They're proven safe here.

But even so, what it does it matter how long the cars are? Does SI really need long R46 cars? On videos, SIRT doesn't seem like it's getting used to much.

If there is a gap between the cars and the platforms, this creates an automatic safety risk. Either way, it still isn't logical, or needed. It would still be a waste of needed money. As far as the R46 goes, yes those cars are needed. I've been on the SIR a few times, and it fills up during rush hours.

Yes, the gap creates a risk. That is what the gap fillers on the trains are for (like on the SLT I mentioned).

But still, it would be better if SIRT got real railroad trains.

Why do you think it would be better? I would imagine that too would be more expensive at this point in time.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but rather trying to understand where you are coming from.

If the problem is about R46s being too old, then send down R68s to SI. They are younger than the R62As and at least fits the needs of SI without this crazy need for gap fillers.

Again I posted earlier about the Javits Center extension will need a few extra trains. There won't be that 'many' spares to have R62As replace the R44s on SI. So why this is still an issue, I don't understand. It's not plausable and should not even be an option. SI is more or less a B division line and should stay that way.

Archived