One Hell of a 90 Minutes

JubaionBx12+SBS

On my little subway trip to The Bronx from Central Park several messed up things occurred. On my. way to Union Square to tape some (L) action I see a rare R160 (R) train on the Queens bound platform at Herald Square. I get off my (N) train to tape it when my taping effort goes for not because a Queens bound (Q) train arrives to block the view of the entire train. I tried to tape the train from the Brooklyn bound platform. When I get to Union Square the (L) train arrival announcements stated that the next 8 Av and Brooklyn bound trains will not stop. BOTH trains stopped at Union Square. Last but not least, I spot the Swatch ad wrapped (6) train at Parkchester heading for Brooklyn Bridge while I was heading for Pelham Bay Park. All of this occured within the time span of 90 minutes. How would you feel if this was your commute?

On my little subway trip to The Bronx from Central Park several messed up things occurred. On my. way to Union Square to tape some (L) action I see a rare R160 (R) train on the Queens bound platform at Herald Square. I get off my (N) train to tape it when my taping effort goes for not because a Queens bound (Q) train arrives to block the view of the entire train. I tried to tape the train from the Brooklyn bound platform. When I get to Union Square the (L) train arrival announcements stated that the next 8 Av and Brooklyn bound trains will not stop. BOTH trains stopped at Union Square. Last but not least, I spot the Swatch ad wrapped (6) train at Parkchester heading for Brooklyn Bridge while I was heading for Pelham Bay Park. All of this occured within the time span of 90 minutes. How would you feel if this was your commute?

Sounds like you had a nice commute, though the R160 on the (R) isn't rare.

Reading is fundamental.

Yes, reading is fundamental.

On my little subway trip to The Bronx from Central Park several messed up things occurred. On my. way to Union Square

How does one pass through Union Square on a subway trip to The Bronx from Central Park?

Here's how a bronx bound trip from Central Park can pass through Union Square: WALK from Central Park South to 57 Street- 7 Avenue. Take a Southbound (N)(Q) or (R) train, in my case (N) to Union Square. Tape a (L) train video and then proceed to the Uptown Lexington Avenue platform to start going Bronx Bound. In my case I took a R142A (4) (there seemed to be more of these than R142's on that line) to 125 Street and got a <6> to Pelham Bay Park.

nor is it hard to wait for the R160 (R) but the (J)'s headways are longer than the ®'s and you have only 1 R42 set most of the time running when its not rush hours. The (R) has 2-3 sets of 160s.

I've seen 2-3 R42 trainsets on the (J) line during middays.

LMAO. Seems like you had a hard time in school reading, seeing you fail to read here.

Seems like you do. A normal human being with at least the IQ of a 5th grader would know that a commute from Central Park to the Bronx would not involve traveling south bound to Union Square.

At least for that (J) one can just head over to Bway Jnct and look into the yard and wait for one to leave in the PMs.

I catch one almost every day going to work. The (Z)s start leaving the yard around 4 pm. Go to Chauncey St around 4:15-4:30 pm on the Manhattan-bound side and eventually you'll catch one. Usually my train is a (Z)if I leave my house on time

LMAO. Seems like you had a hard time in school reading, seeing you fail to read here.

Seems like you do. A normal human being with at least the IQ of a 5th grader would know that a commute from Central Park to the Bronx would not involve traveling south bound to Union Square.

Could it be possible the OP made a typo???

Could it be possible the OP made a typo???

Yes and I think it probably was. I just don't like people criticize my reading skills when it clearly says a "subway trip to The Bronx from Central Park" and then complains how his "commute" wasn't a good one. His "commutes," if you'd like to even call them that, were from Central Park to Union Square and then there to Pelham Bay Park. I only asked how he passed through Union Square because he was saying how it was "One Hell of a 90 Minutes" when going from Central Park to the Bronx shouldn't take over an hour. He was complaining about something that could've easily been avoided by simply taking a Queens bound train to Lexington Avenue and switching for the six there instead.

Yes and I think it probably was. I just don't like people criticize my reading skills when it clearly says a "subway trip to The Bronx from Central Park" and then complains how his "commute" wasn't a good one. His "commutes," if you'd like to even call them that, were from Central Park to Union Square and then there to Pelham Bay Park. I only asked how he passed through Union Square because he was saying how it was "One Hell of a 90 Minutes" when going from Central Park to the Bronx shouldn't take over an hour. He was complaining about something that could've easily been avoided by simply taking a Queens bound train to Lexington Avenue and switching for the six there instead.

I kept sitting there reading his post. It's poorly written to say the least. He clearly made several stops, so why he wrote what he did makes no sense.

It is truly sad that people cannot comprehend the opening post and thread as a whole. I will REPEAT the fact that I felt like railfanning at Union Square so I stopped there instead of going towards Lexington Av-59 Street. The commute was not my complaint as I had the extra time to pass by Union Square. The complaint was being at the wrong place at the wrong time on 3 separate occasions from a ralifan point of view. Adding in the Union Square stop the commute was about 70 minutes, I just rounded up to 90 to make sure my timing was correct.

It is truly sad that people cannot comprehend the opening post and thread as a whole. I will REPEAT the fact that I felt like railfanning at Union Square so I stopped there instead of going towards Lexington Av-59 Street. The commute was not my complaint as I had the extra time to pass by Union Square. The complaint was being at the wrong place at the wrong time on 3 separate occasions from a ralifan point of view. Adding in the Union Square stop the commute was about 70 minutes, I just rounded up to 90 to make sure my timing was correct.

Don't blame us for not understanding. It was poorly written. You started your post with "On my little subway trip to The Bronx from Central Park several messed up things occurred." Then you go on to say "On my way to Union Square...", but yet you refer to it as "a trip" when in reality it was several trips. I got the idea that clearly you made several stops along the way because clearly if you were going directly to the Bronx from Central Park, there would be no need for you to go to Union Square, unless there was some sort of train problem, but you failed to communicate that point from the start, so it seemed like you went from going to the Bronx from Central Park to just going all over the place without clarifying that you made stops along the way. We're not mind readers, so you need to clarify yourself better.

The general understanding is that when one makes a commute from one place to another that they're not making stops all over the place, hence why it is referred to as "a commute", hence why Gorgor questioned your post. If several people question your post then that means that it wasn't clear to begin with and while some understood it, it was still poorly written.

I honestly wouldn't have said anything because I thought that it was multiple trips, but you ended the post with "How would you feel if this was your commute?" This put a big question mark in my head because I wasn't sure what you meant. At first I thought you might be a lost tourist who doesn't know about the transfer at Lexington and 59th but then just rereading it got me confused.

I think I get what you mean now. You took two trips: Central Park to Union Square, a break to take some videos, and then Union Square to Pelham Bay Park. Am I correct?

I honestly wouldn't have said anything because I thought that it was multiple trips, but you ended the post with "How would you feel if this was your commute?" This put a big question mark in my head because I wasn't sure what you meant. At first I thought you might be a lost tourist who doesn't know about the transfer at Lexington and 59th but then just rereading it got me confused.

I think I get what you mean now. You took two trips: Central Park to Union Square, a break to take some videos, and then Union Square to Pelham Bay Park. Am I correct?

If you want to see it as 2 trips than so be it. You are correct. The main deal here is that I started at 57 Street- 7 Avenue, ended at Pelham Bay Park and never left the subway system. If I have left the system and had to pay again than I would of acknowledged that 2 trips were made from the beginning. I still would of faced a 3 seat ride if I transferred at Lexington Av-59 Street so I actually felt it was better to head south and then proceed north. It was really 1 trip in which Union Square was the transfer station. I was able to tape a video at my transfer station, that's all.

If you want to see it as 2 trips than so be it. You are correct. The main deal here is that I started at 57 Street- 7 Avenue, ended at Pelham Bay Park and never left the subway system. If I have left the system and had to pay again than I would of acknowledged that 2 trips were made from the beginning. I still would of faced a 3 seat ride if I transferred at Lexington Av-59 Street so I actually felt it was better to head south and then proceed north. It was really 1 trip in which Union Square was the transfer station. I was able to tape a video at my transfer station, that's all.

3 seat ride? Both Lex/59th and Union Square have a direct connection to the (6). And Union Square was your first destination, the spot you were going to just happened to be in the subway.

Also, a commute is when you're trying to go from point A to point B, not when you're sidetracking to spend 20 minutes or so taping trains.

Archived