Q32 limited stop service

Via Garibaldi 8

I notice that the (M4) has limited stop service in the mornings at least (not sure about other times), but why doesn't the (Q32) have limited stop service? The route seems to be heavily used and actually runs better than the (M1) and (M3) buses down 5th Avenue. Thoughts?

I notice that the (M4) has limited stop service in the mornings at least (not sure about other times), but why doesn't the (Q32) have limited stop service? The route seems to be heavily used and actually runs better than the (M1) and (M3) buses down 5th Avenue. Thoughts?

Garibaldi here are the rules of how a limited stop outside of Staten Island is created for a (MTA) Bus or (NYCT) route.

1)Headways must be 5 minutes or less for entire route weekdays. 6 minutes or less on weekends.

2)Route must travel at least 5 miles.

With that said, I think the only way the (Q32) ever gets 'limited stop' service would a merger with the (Q33) and extended to/from LGA Airport. A problem with the (Q32) is that one it's subject to traffic on the 59th Street Bridge. Second a ton of elderly people and also wheelchair/disabled riders use it since most stations on the nearby (7)(R)(M) subway are not wheelchair accesible.

A better idea would be to short-turn the (Q32) at the 74th Street/Roosevelt station first since it subject to traffic on the Queensboro Bridge mainly during weekdays. Weekends all of the (Q32) could run the full route.

Just my takes.

FYI. The (M4) only operates a few trips as a "Limited" in peak direction rush hours. To Penn Station from about 630-8am and Uptown to Ft Washington/193rd St from about 430pm-6pm.

There's no need for a LTD on the Q32, its pretty frequent on its own and it picks up a lot of people, but not a lot to constitute LTD service. A majority of the time its on time or 5 mins late which isnt too bad.

There's no need for a LTD on the Q32, its pretty frequent on its own and it picks up a lot of people, but not a lot to constitute LTD service. A majority of the time its on time or 5 mins late which isnt too bad.

Most of the time you right Caith. However doing rush hours sometimes the (Q32) can have an occasional problem of bus bunching due to traffic on the bridge.

Garibaldi here are the rules of how a limited stop outside of Staten Island is created for a (MTA) Bus or (NYCT) route.

1)Headways must be 5 minutes or less for entire route weekdays. 6 minutes or less on weekends.

With that said, I think the only way the (Q32) ever gets 'limited stop' service would a merger with the (Q33) and extended to/from LGA Airport. A problem with the (Q32) is that one it's subject to traffic on the 59th Street Bridge. Second a ton of elderly people and also wheelchair/disabled riders use it since most stations on the nearby (7)(R)(M) subway are not wheelchair accesible.

A better idea would be to short-turn the (Q32) at the 74th Street/Roosevelt station first since it subject to traffic on the Queensboro Bridge mainly during weekdays. Weekends all of the (Q32) could run the full route.

Just my takes.

FYI. The (M4) only operates a few trips as a "Limited" in peak direction rush hours. To Penn Station from about 630-8am and Uptown to Ft Washington/193rd St from about 430pm-6pm.

I would argue that you could do something like they've done with the (M4) and run it during peak hours only. How long is the trip from Penn Station to Jackson Heights anyway??

Most of the time you right Caith. However doing rush hours sometimes the (Q32) can have an occasional problem of bus bunching due to traffic on the bridge.

Not just rush hours... They bunch quite a bit actually esp. when traffic is bad on 5th. I was thinking about it because here of late I've been lazy and have been using the 5th Ave buses to get to Union Square and I always see like two (Q32)s running back to back.

Yeah it does bunch up, sometimes operators leave a little early to meet with the schedule, which then makes them arrive on-time in Queens/Manhattan. Lets not forget from 82nd to Woodside is another traffic spot.

I would argue that you could do something like they've done with the (M4) and run it during peak hours only. How long is the trip from Penn Station to Jackson Heights anyway??

Not just rush hours... They bunch quite a bit actually esp. when traffic is bad on 5th. I was thinking about it because here of late I've been lazy and have been using the 5th Ave buses to get to Union Square and I always see like two (Q32)s running back to back.

It varies. It's about 1 hour 20 minutes end-end rush hours and on off peak/weekends about 65 minutes barring of course traffic delays.

Well, outside of the Q32 north of Roosevelt, everywhere along the route is a potential chokepoint...

- Roosevelt av, itself (and worse, always seems like there's some type of road construction ongoing along it)....

- it's routing along queens plaza, on up to the bridge...

- and of course, w/i manhattan itself....

Sometimes when you see buses back to back, it doesn't always mean they are late or "bunching." Many lines have "leader & follower" runs which frequently show up on a printed schedule as one run. This is done so the follower can pick up the leaders slack and help him/her out when possible. Both buses are scheduled within a minute or two of each other on the drivers paddle report.

The Q32 has headways of 10-30 minutes depending on the time of day.

In terms of a LTD stop service, I don't see it as needed. However, if there was demand for it, I could only see the LTD portion operating within Queens.

Sometimes when you see buses back to back, it doesn't always mean they are late or "bunching." Many lines have "leader & follower" runs which frequently show up on a printed schedule as one run. This is done so the follower can pick up the leaders slack and help him/her out when possible. Both buses are scheduled within a minute or two of each other on the drivers paddle report.

The Q32 has headways of 10-30 minutes depending on the time of day.

In terms of a LTD stop service, I don't see it as needed. However, if there was demand for it, I could only see the LTD portion operating within Queens.

This happens a lot on the Flushing-bound Q27 when picking up the QCC crowd, witnessed this effect myself

Just my takes.

or if you want LTD use the subway!!!

:tdown:

Oh please... For those who can't get to the subway or are near stations that aren't ADA accessible, LTD service would certainly be welcomed on the Q32.

Q32 itself isnt even that bad plus THERE ARENT ENOUGH RIDERS who cant use subway to even warrent a LTD if you want a faster ride use subway plain and simple!!!!!

Oh please... For those who can't get to the subway or are near stations that aren't ADA accessible, LTD service would certainly be welcomed on the Q32.

Hey Garibaldi why create a topic when you mind is already made up and you do wanted a Q32 'limited.' Personally I don't use that often to comment fairly.

However almost all of us here gave the reasons, the (Q32) will not be getting limited service any time soon. And by the Garibaldi i thought you were busy trying to fight for more bus service on Staten Island.

Q32 itself isnt even that bad plus THERE ARENT ENOUGH RIDERS who cant use subway to even warrent a LTD if you want a faster ride use subway plain and simple!!!!!

Congrats on your first well posted and legit comments here on the lack of need of (Q32) limited service.:eek:

Congrats on your first well posted and legit comments here on the lack of need of (Q32) limited service.:eek:

I am just against bus routes outright duplicating the subway which what the Q32 would have done. The trains and buses are meant to complement each other not copy each other. I also left out a part that would have made LI bus cheaper to operate but thats another discussion all together. I have a better understanding of regional long distance bus routes rather than local centric ones in NYC. That was why my earlier posts sucked. As a result I trick ppl into thinking I live in NJ or outside NYC.

The Q32 has its fair share of elderly passengers after 74th Street who dont/can't take the subway. There is only two ADA accessible stations along the route and thats 74th/Roosevelt & Woodside, plus stations along those lines may or may not have ADA accessibility.

You are wrong on the theory of how a limited route is warranted. It's only made by route headways, frequencies, the amount of passengers it picks up and of course the demand. While you are right that the Q32 doesnt warrant a LTD for the way it already is, your theory about how a LTD is warranted is incorrect.

This made me lol.

I didn't see this post...my bad...

On a good day with no traffic and with a good driver, about a half hour up to 45 minutes. On a day with moderate traffic, a pretty solid 45 minutes or so. It usually depends, most PM trips going to Jackson Heights passengers dont really get off at Queens Blvd for the most part while others wait for the Q60. The M1-5 routes are much longer in terms of time compared to the Q32

I've known about that when the Q32 was an MJQ/CS split (god I miss those days). From the times I took the route, a majority of the time the MJQ driver would be the leader. Now with CS taking control of the route 100%, its a mess...

Hey Garibaldi why create a topic when you mind is already made up and you do wanted a Q32 'limited.' Personally I don't use that often to comment fairly.

However almost all of us here gave the reasons, the (Q32) will not be getting limited service any time soon. And by the Garibaldi i thought you were busy trying to fight for more bus service on Staten Island.

LOL... If my mind was made up on it I wouldn't have created the thread. The whole point of the thread is to discuss pros and cons for or against the Q32 LTD. Just because I'm suggesting reasons for it doesn't mean I'm set on it getting it. To be honest with you, if I really wanted a Q32 LTD, it wouldn't benefit me because I usually ride it at local stops. B)

Also, just because I advocate for Staten Island, doesn't mean I only focus on Staten Island. I use the system everyday practically not just in Staten Island, so clearly I want to see the system improve across the 5 boroughs.

I've known about that when the Q32 was an MJQ/CS split (god I miss those days). From the times I took the route, a majority of the time the MJQ driver would be the leader. Now with CS taking control of the route 100%, its a mess...

I agree. I still think it was a huge mistake to send all the Q32 runs to CS. They had a good thing going, and service seemed to be much more reliable. They really should look into spiting it again!

that's where you messed up, chief....

handicapped/elderly riders, aren't a reason as to why limited service is opted for, as an added (type of) service along a route.... if that were the case, SW Brooklyn would be full of routes w/ LTD service... lol...

unless you meant something totally different by "can't" use the subway

(of course you're gonna claim this & make up somethin B))

that's where you messed up, chief....

handicapped/elderly riders, aren't a reason as to why limited service is opted for, as an added (type of) service along a route.... if that were the case, SW Brooklyn would be full of routes w/ LTD service... lol...

unless you meant something totally different by "can't" use the subway

(of course you're gonna claim this & make up somethin B))

The (M2) LTD is a perfect example of a bus w/limited stop service that has plenty of seniors and handicapped folks riding and believe me they love the M2 because it provides limited stop service, which gets them to their destination much quicker.

I'm also wondering why they don't have all low floor buses on that line? I mean considering how old some of CSs buses are I would think they would be more prone to breaking down trying to pick up wheelchairs and elderly folks. The low floor buses are amazing compared to the wheelchair set up on the older non low floor buses. Boarding is so much faster and you don't have to pray that the bus will breakdown because a wheelchair is boarding.

The (M2) LTD is a perfect example of a bus w/limited stop service that has plenty of seniors and handicapped folks riding and believe me they love the M2 because it provides limited stop service, which gets them to their destination much quicker.

I'm also wondering why they don't have all low floor buses on that line? I mean considering how old some of CSs buses are I would think they would be more prone to breaking down trying to pick up wheelchairs and elderly folks. The low floor buses are amazing compared to the wheelchair set up on the older non low floor buses. Boarding is so much faster and you don't have to pray that the bus will breakdown because a wheelchair is boarding.

Most times during the rush, standing room is needed on that Q32 which the high floors have. Making it entirely low floor would cause problems. Also at times you'll see passengers trying to make connections with the Q33 or the Q47 to LaGuardia Airport and/or passengers hauling ass to a train at Penn Station with their big bags and whatnot.

On the case of the low floors, I seen low floors where the ramp just stood up mid-flip and refused to go down, that was the funniest thing I ever saw that caused a bus to go OOS.

Most times during the rush, standing room is needed on that Q32 which the high floors have. Making it entirely low floor would cause problems. Also at times you'll see passengers trying to make connections with the Q33 or the Q47 to LaGuardia Airport and/or passengers hauling ass to a train at Penn Station with their big bags and whatnot.

On the case of the low floors, I seen low floors where the ramp just stood up mid-flip and refused to go down, that was the funniest thing I ever saw that caused a bus to go OOS.

Interesting... I know some of them are manual and some I guess they just push a button for the ramp to go up and down. I was a (M3) yesterday after having transferred from the Q32 and the boarding process for the wheelchair was very quick there at 23rd and 5th. The funny thing was that the guy that was with the chick in the wheelchair almost got whacked by the ramp. Luckily for him, the B/O realized and stopped the ramp just in time.

Archived