Q32 limited stop service

Via Garibaldi 8

Not trying to go off topic but related and asking a question. Could a 'limited'

(Q32) work if it merged with the (Q33)and ran between LGA Airport and Penn Station?

I don't see why a rush hours only Q32 LTD couldn't work? It seems to work just fine on the (M4). :confused:

The M2 LTD is a perfect example of a bus w/limited stop service that has plenty of seniors and handicapped folks riding and believe me they love the M2 because it provides limited stop service, which gets them to their destination much quicker.

Frequenting Harlem as much as I have in life, no doubt about it, the M2 (along w/ the M1) has a healthy amount of seniors.... Not disputing that.....

Not sure what you were trying to disprove by pointing that out to me....

All I was sayin in that post that this reply of yours was in response to, was.... LTD service isn't considered for a route just b/c it has its fair share of pax that are handicapped or, old......

Not trying to go off topic but related and asking a question. Could a 'limited' (Q32) work if it merged with the (Q33)and ran between LGA Airport and Penn Station?

Depends on how much time you *think* would be saved b/w:

- the total runtime from terminal-to-terminal, itself, and...

- the average commuting time an avg. rider embarking on a Q32 that would run b/w those 2 points, spends.....

Personally, I don't think it would be worth it to add a LTD on the Q32 @ all.... a funky extension to LGA or not.....

I don't see why a rush hours only Q32 LTD couldn't work? It seems to work just fine on the (M4). :confused:

Different dynamic.....

There a big difference. The (M4) does not have to deal with the 59th Street Bridge altogether. Plus any savings saved would be lost on bridge traffic.

Plus unlike riders in Ft Washington, Roosevelt/Queens Blvd West have the nearby (7)(M)(R) service which parells the entire route.

The (M4) is considered part of the 5th/Madison Corrdior as well and combined all of the buses travel along there runs every 2-3 minutes during rush hours.

Plus other Queens routes that are closer to the 5 minute headway that need limited stop service i.e Q66, Q24, just to name a few.

Oh that right Garibaldi wont agree to it his mind is made up.

Frequenting Harlem as much as I have in life, no doubt about it, the M2 (along w/ the M1) has a healthy amount of seniors.... Not disputing that.....

All I was sayin in that post was, LTD service isn't considered for a route just b/c an above avg. # of pax, are handicapped or, old......

Depends on how much time you *think* would be saved b/w:

- the total runtime from terminal-to-terminal, itself, and...

- the average commuting time an avg. rider embarking on a Q32 that would run b/w those 2 points, spends.....

Personally, I don't think it would be worth it to add a LTD on the Q32 @ all.... a funky extension to LGA or not.....

If the Q32 were extended to LaGuardia, I think a limited would be warranted. The MTA could advertise it as a "one-seat ride" to Midtown Manhattan. The people riding it know it won't be as fast as transferring to the subway, but it should run at a decent speed in order to make it an attractive option for people traveling from the airport.

At least during rush hours, it should run limited.

The short-turn buses from 94th Street/23rd Avenue to Jackson Heights could provide the local service, and the limited stop could be as follows:

All stops to 94th Street/23rd AvenueAstoria Blvd

Northern Blvd

Jackson Heights subway station

Local stops along Roosevelt Avenue to 48th Street

Queensboro Plaza

local stops from then on

The Q60 would act as the local along Queens Blvd, and the short-turns would be the locals along 82nd/83rd Streets.

The (M2) LTD is a perfect example of a bus w/limited stop service that has plenty of seniors and handicapped folks riding and believe me they love the M2 because it provides limited stop service, which gets them to their destination much quicker.

I'm also wondering why they don't have all low floor buses on that line? I mean considering how old some of CSs buses are I would think they would be more prone to breaking down trying to pick up wheelchairs and elderly folks. The low floor buses are amazing compared to the wheelchair set up on the older non low floor buses. Boarding is so much faster and you don't have to pray that the bus will breakdown because a wheelchair is boarding.

All of the 5/Madison routes are LF. The (M1), (M2), (M3) and (M4) come from the same depot, Manhattanville. With the Q32, you'll get an occasional O5

On the case of the low floors, I seen low floors where the ramp just stood up mid-flip and refused to go down, that was the funniest thing I ever saw that caused a bus to go OOS.

I think the ones that get stuck are only on the Orions VII's. The New Flyer ramps can be manually overridden.

Nodoby said it couldn't work, but it's not warranted. And you have the M4........

If the Q32 were extended to LaGuardia, I think a limited would be warranted. The MTA could advertise it as a "one-seat ride" to Midtown Manhattan. The people riding it know it won't be as fast as transferring to the subway, but it should run at a decent speed in order to make it an attractive option for people traveling from the airport.

The short-turn buses from 94th Street/23rd Avenue to Jackson Heights could provide the local service, and the limited stop could be as follows:

Northern Blvd

Queensboro Plaza

local stops from then on

The Q60 would act as the local along Queens Blvd, and the short-turns would be the locals along 82nd/83rd Streets.

Checkmate where does it travel under your plan? 73rd/74th via Q47 and 82/83rd via Q33? Checkmate not meant to be rude but you really should rail/bus fan sometimes. Just admit you tight on money and not the "I don't have time' reply, you here on the boards alot. Especially if you plan to intern for the (MTA) down the road.

Northern Blvd

Queensboro Plaza

local stops from then on

Have you taken the Q32 during the rush on over to queens?

(coming from queens is even worse, IMO....)

What you're conveying to me here, sounds all too theoretical....

Despite for advertising reasons, you never really commented on why it would be warranted....

The question of an extended Q32 to LGA being warranted wasn't what he (Shortline) was asking, though....

Have you taken the Q32 during the rush on over to queens?

What you're conveying to me here, sounds all too theoretical....

Regardless, the question of an extended Q32 to LGA being warranted wasn't what he (Shortline) was asking, though....

B35 Checkmate is I guess making his comments on the Q32 based only on (MTA) ridership data and not using it in the real world. I bet Checkmate has never been on it. Not a knock against him but making a point.

Checkmate where does it travel under your plan? 73rd/74th via Q47 and 82/83rd via Q33? Checkmate not meant to be rude but you really should rail/bus fan sometimes. Just admit you tight on money and not the "I don't have time' reply, you here on the boards alot. Especially if you plan to intern for the (MTA) down the road.

It would travel via 82nd/83rd Streets.

I've taken the Q33 a couple of times (not for busfanning purposes), and a lot of the traffic was along Roosevelt Avenue. Once it got north of Northern Blvd, it was pretty smooth sailing.

And money isn't really an issue considering that I would be using my Student MetroCard to bus/railfan.

I just don't see the point in busfanning unless you have a lot of spare time. I enjoy transit, but I don't get a thrill riding a bus. Trains are a little bit more exciting, but I don't see the point in riding them for the sole purpose of railfanning. (Not to put down anybody who does it as a hobby)

I think the ones that get stuck are only on the Orions VII's. The New Flyer ramps can be manually overridden.

Nodoby said it couldn't work, but it's not warranted. And you have the M4........

Yeah, but what does the (M4) have to do with the Q32? Sure they run with each other for a short period of time, but the (M4) doesn't go to Queens, so this would be a completely separate service and would benefit those who have disabilities or who are elderly since a lot of them use the line.

There a big difference. The (M4) does not have to deal with the 59th Street Bridge altogether. Plus any savings saved would be lost on bridge traffic.

Plus unlike riders in Ft Washington, Roosevelt/Queens Blvd West have the nearby (7)(M)(R) service which parells the entire route.

The (M4) is considered part of the 5th/Madison Corrdior as well and combined all of the buses travel along there runs every 2-3 minutes during rush hours.

Plus other Queens routes that are closer to the 5 minute headway that need limited stop service i.e Q66, Q24, just to name a few.

Oh that right Garibaldi wont agree to it his mind is made up.

My mind isn't made up. Everyone is saying that isn't warranted without explaining why specifically it isn't warranted. Most folks are just saying it just isn't warranted. I mean I can say the sky is black but give me some clear cut reasons why aside from personal opinions. You've already talked about how the (MTA) decides on LTD service, etc.

However, the argument made by some that it parallels the subway is a weak one because the bus serves many elderly and disabled folks who can't get to the subway since many stops aren't ADA accessible. I don't think that a general blanket should be thrown on all lines as to how LTD service is determined because that criteria may or may not work for some lines.

All I was sayin in that post that this reply of yours was in response to, was.... LTD service isn't considered for a route just b/c it has its fair share of pax that are handicapped or, old......

Just because I quoted you doesn't mean that I was trying to point anything out to you. I quoted you to make a point to qjtransit.

All of the 5/Madison routes are LF. The (M1), (M2), (M3) and (M4) come from the same depot, Manhattanville. With the Q32, you'll get an occasional O5

Yes, I know this. I use the lines on a daily basis.

Just because I quoted you doesn't mean that I was trying to point anything out to you. I quoted you to make a point to qjtransit.

How the hell was I supposed to know that....

If you would have actually quoted QJT in that same reply, I wouldn't have bothered to reply to you the way I did....

Someone quoting one person = Directly making a point TO that person, at the very least...

It would travel via 82nd/83rd Streets.

I've taken the Q33 a couple of times (not for busfanning purposes), and a lot of the traffic was along Roosevelt Avenue. Once it got north of Northern Blvd, it was pretty smooth sailing.

And money isn't really an issue considering that I would be using my Student MetroCard to bus/railfan.

I just don't see the point in busfanning unless you have a lot of spare time. I enjoy transit, but I don't get a thrill riding a bus. Trains are a little bit more exciting, but I don't see the point in riding them for the sole purpose of railfanning. (Not to put down anybody who does it as a hobby)

However, all the constant stopping and going along with those inaccurate signals along the way would make the Q32 more unreliable. 82nd and 83rd Streets has quick red light signals and that'll slow down the route and whatever is behind it

How the hell was I supposed to know that....

If you would have actually quoted QJT in that same reply, I wouldn't have bothered to reply to you the way I did....

Someone quoting one person = Directly making a point TO that person, at the very least...

Well in a way it was directed towards you. I was just adding a few things to what you said. In event I was trying to address multiple people and had internet intermittently so not much I could do there anyway, but anyway now it's clear.

Most times during the rush, standing room is needed on that Q32 which the high floors have. Making it entirely low floor would cause problems. Also at times you'll see passengers trying to make connections with the Q33 or the Q47 to LaGuardia Airport and/or passengers hauling ass to a train at Penn Station with their big bags and whatnot.

On the case of the low floors, I seen low floors where the ramp just stood up mid-flip and refused to go down, that was the funniest thing I ever saw that caused a bus to go OOS.

That's sometimes I do transfer from Q32 to Q33 when I buy big 20 lbs bag of rice from Katagiri Grocery, which Q32 Bus Stop is right in front and it is too heavey to carry stairs or walk to (N)(Q)(R) Station, so I take Q32 bus to Roosevelt Av/74th St, carrying heavey load of rice to Victoor Moree Bus Terminal for Q33 bus to Central Terminal for Q72 bus home.

@Garibaldi

Ok. Let's change this up a little and go backwards. Why do you think the Q32 needs, or can use a limited? What would the headways be? Who would it serve? What depot would operate the service? What route path would it take?

I'm asking all of this because you say you aren't convinced the line does not need one. Therefore you feel it does. If I know where you are coming from then maybe I will understand. Then I can go into detail with you.

@Garibaldi

Ok. Let's change this up a little and go backwards. Why do you think the Q32 needs, or can use a limited? What would the headways be? Who would it serve? What depot would operate the service? What route path would it take?

I'm asking all of this because you say you aren't convinced the line does not need one. Therefore you feel it does. If I know where you are coming from then maybe I will understand. Then I can go into detail with you.

You see I don't use the Q32 for long distances, but I do see them all the time on 5th and Madison Ave and they carry decent loads. They also seem to be caught in traffic and crawling because they have to make so many stops there in the city. I guess why I'm not convinced is because I just can't see how that bus can get anywhere quickly in Queens based on how slow it moves in the city and the loads that it carries.

Now on the same token a local bus like the (M3), which I also use moves well, but that is because they clearly have M3 set up to work off of the (M1) and they have the (M2) there to pick up the real big loads at the major stops, which allows all three of the buses to generally move well at least from Union Square to over by 42nd.

From what others have said, it does seem to get caught up quite a bit in traffic, and so I guess I thought about LTD service as way to get it movin quicker, but maybe if LTD really isn't needed, there is something else that could be done to get them moving faster.

As far as which depots I'd have them out of, I agree w/you that it was a very smart move to have them split between CS and MJQ. For one it allows the line to maintain a relatively newer fleet, since neither depot has to give up too many buses to the line. With the current set up, CS is forced to use some of the older buses, and quite frankly from a reliability issue alone, I think they would prefer to use the newer low floor buses. The low floor buses also allow for quicker boarding and exiting, which you can loose with the older buses, esp. seeing the amount of elderly and disabled folks and tourists that use the line. Tourists are also VERY slow exiting and them not having to go down more steps just helps move things along a lot better. The only draw back is the narrow aisles on the buses, but you could alleviate that to a degree if buses are able to move quicker thus staying relatively close to the schedule.

So if LTD isn't the answer, what else could be done to allow them to move along quicker?? Signal priority comes to mind, but I think it's really the boarding/exiting that would make more a difference first. That's my ideas to start with. :cool:

Oh another thing is that with MJQ being located there on the West Side, it can also help keep the buses on schedule in case you have a breakdown or something. You can have another bus dead head across town a lot quicker obviously than one coming from CS.

Speaking of Q32, car drives under Roosevelt Av elevated are very bad drivers.

According to Jackson Heights Study, they want to propose 74th & 75th Sts into Bus Transitway.

I have taken Q32 occasionaly lot before June 27th service cut.

some drive so bad they need to get banned from the roads They need to make almost every slow corridor a busway then let cars crawl somewhere else on non transit occupied roadways. Or BRT like pittsburgh but with subways that will be too hard anyway

Technically any Low Floor bus ramp can be overwritten...all you need is a good arm and "do it on the good foot" ;)

(Kick it down if you didn't get the joke)

Well in a way it was directed towards you. I was just adding a few things to what you said. In event I was trying to address multiple people and had internet intermittently so not much I could do there anyway, but anyway now it's clear.

It'd have been easier if you said that from the jump, instead of talkin in circles...

Trains are a little bit more exciting, but I don't see the point in riding them for the sole purpose of railfanning. (Not to put down anybody who does it as a hobby)

I didn't see this earlier.... and I'm glad you added that part in bold

(also like the way you flipped it on shortline....he didn't have to come @ you like that)

...b/c I don't busfan just for the sake of riding buses.... you can learn quite a bit about a certain neighborhood, just by riding through said neighborhood... disembarking & walking around, you can even learn more.... i.e, why is thie nabe flourishing, why's my nabe so effed up (for lack of a better term)....

and two, being that I'm really into maps (speaking of which, I'd like to get back into hand-drawing street maps), sometimes you wanna see what encompasses the "lines" on the map.... what buildings/establishments, etc... what group of people live along those lines (figuratively & literally).... I actually have a lil story about how I came to wanting to fan in the bronx, regarding what I said in this paragraph, but I'll spare it for the sake of the thread...

I'm still tryna figure this part out....

I am just against bus routes outright duplicating the subway which what the Q32 would have done. The trains and buses are meant to complement each other not copy each other.

I agree with this. Had a similar issue with somebody who thought a Bx4 LTD would be useful. I could see the difference, being that one wanting to go from Westchester Sq all the way to The Hub can't just hop on the (6), but for many, they could just take the (6)(2)(5) for service.

Archived