Q32 limited stop service

Via Garibaldi 8

I'm still tryna figure this part out....

See post #43...

My thinking is that it is extremely slow in Manhattan so I don't see how it could be that much faster in Queens. If you wouldn't implement a LTD service on the line then how could it be made to run quicker? For some reason I feel like the (M3) moves along quicker than the Q32 and some of that I feel is due to the fact they use low floor buses on that line.

It'd have been easier if you said that from the jump, instead of talkin in circles...

Actually I did in that post...

I agree with this. Had a similar issue with somebody who thought a Bx4 LTD would be useful. I could see the difference, being that one wanting to go from Westchester Sq all the way to The Hub can't just hop on the (6), but for many, they could just take the (6)(2)(5) for service.

Well guess what? Not every station on Westchester Av is ADA-accessible

Obviously they can't put all low floor buses on the Q32 because they need to spread their newer buses around. However, when the route was split w/MJQ, I recall just about all of the Q32s being low floor buses.

Not entirely, lots of RTSs and Orion Vs were also on the line. If I had to choose between a high floor, the RTS was and still is a much more suitable choice over the Orion V.

Not entirely, lots of RTSs and Orion Vs were also on the line. If I had to choose between a high floor, the RTS was and still is a much more suitable choice over the Orion V.

I didn't say all, but the majority were low floors. Of course there were RTSs and such as well.

For crowd control, RTSs win by a mile no question, but for wheelchairs and quicker boarding/exiting, low floors win by a mile.

You see I don't use the Q32 for long distances, but I do see them all the time on 5th and Madison Ave and they carry decent loads. They also seem to be caught in traffic and crawling because they have to make so many stops there in the city. I guess why I'm not convinced is because I just can't see how that bus can get anywhere quickly in Queens based on how slow it moves in the city and the loads that it carries.

Now on the same token a local bus like the (M3), which I also use moves well, but that is because they clearly have M3 set up to work off of the (M1) and they have the (M2) there to pick up the real big loads at the major stops, which allows all three of the buses to generally move well at least from Union Square to over by 42nd.

It's not going to get anywhere quickly in rush hour traffic in either borough.

From what others have said, it does seem to get caught up quite a bit in traffic, and so I guess I thought about LTD service as way to get it movin quicker, but maybe if LTD really isn't needed, there is something else that could be done to get them moving faster.

Right. It's not going to get anywhere quickly in rush hour traffic in either borough. There are some "ok" spots where traffic moves better than others. But in addition to what you mentioned above, you have the M1, M2, and M4 for limited stop options. This is the main reason I was saying it doesn't need to be limited.

As far as which depots I'd have them out of, I agree w/you that it was a very smart move to have them split between CS and MJQ. For one it allows the line to maintain a relatively newer fleet, since neither depot has to give up too many buses to the line. With the current set up, CS is forced to use some of the older buses, and quite frankly from a reliability issue alone, I think they would prefer to use the newer low floor buses. The low floor buses also allow for quicker boarding and exiting, which you can loose with the older buses, esp. seeing the amount of elderly and disabled folks and tourists that use the line. Tourists are also VERY slow exiting and them not having to go down more steps just helps move things along a lot better. The only draw back is the narrow aisles on the buses, but you could alleviate that to a degree if buses are able to move quicker thus staying relatively close to the schedule.

Seating, and dwell times are the main pros and cons of both high-floors

and low-floors. High-floors can carry more weight and passengers, whereas low-floors are just more convenient. I often wondered why MTA never opted for the front door wheelchair lift on the late model RTS'. This would have reduced dwell time drastically.

As far at the reliability issue, both the RTS and Orion V can still pull their weight. They don't break down as often as you think they might. For them to all be 12-15 years old, you wouldn't know it when you rode some of them. The RTS has long been the workhorse of the fleet. The stainless structure has a lot to do with the durability of the bus as well.

So if LTD isn't the answer, what else could be done to allow them to move along quicker?? Signal priority comes to mind, but I think it's really the boarding/exiting that would make more a difference first. That's my ideas to start with. :cool:

Signal priority may work. What exactly are you talking about with "boarding/exiting?"

Oh another thing is that with MJQ being located there on the West Side, it can also help keep the buses on schedule in case you have a breakdown or something. You can have another bus dead head across town a lot quicker obviously than one coming from CS.

Well yeah, those are some of the obvious reasons I think the Q32, and a few other routes should be split.

Technically any Low Floor bus ramp can be overwritten...all you need is a good arm and "do it on the good foot" :(

(Kick it down if you didn't get the joke)

Well yeah, that's the other manual way!:P

Signal priority may work. What exactly are you talking about with "boarding/exiting?"

I was talking about the low floor buses helping to speed up the boarding/exiting process in general, esp. along 5th Avenue. You have the elderly folks along with the tourists that take forever to get on and to exit and having RTSs or the older Orions only exacerbates this problem IMO, in addition to how long it takes those two buses to get wheelchairs on and off in comparison to the low floor buses.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. When all the high-floors are retired, it won't be a big issue. I personally think the TA should order some new high-floors for Brooklyn, Queens, and a line or two in Staten Island. They could be used for back-up purposes, and the winter.

I was talking about the low floor buses helping to speed up the boarding/exiting process in general, esp. along 5th Avenue. You have the elderly folks along with the tourists that take forever to get on and to exit and having RTSs or the older Orions only exacerbates this problem IMO, in addition to how long it takes those two buses to get wheelchairs on and off in comparison to the low floor buses.

While there are elderly folk waiting for the bus along 5th Avenue (main stop being 42nd and 5th), they mostly wait for the other routes. Most of the elderly folk the line picks up is in Queens. Tourists are generally stupid imo, while it does take them time to get used to get around, some of them blindly get on the wrong bus. The Q32 doesnt pick up much elderly folks in Manhattan so its not really that big of a deal.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. When all the high-floors are retired, it won't be a big issue. I personally think the TA should order some new high-floors for Brooklyn, Queens, and a line or two in Staten Island. They could be used for back-up purposes, and the winter.

At this rate, I would agree if its the RTS as they would be able to climb hills with ease + offers adequate standing room, but considering how boring the powertrain might be.....:cry:

At this rate, I would agree if its the RTS as they would be able to climb hills with ease + offers adequate standing room, but considering how boring the powertrain might be.....:cry:

Definitely RTS, but I would say wide front door only with the wheelchair lift. I hope and pray DDC gets back in the game! A DD13 with Allison or ZF's would be on point!

Since i Live on Northern Blvd (this might sound selfish, but a good idea for me), I see a lot of Q32 buses who are done with their runs turn on 81st into Northern and go to Stengel Depot at 126th. How about extending the Q32 after Northern-81 St to Flushing-Main Street via Northern or at least Citi Field? It would add some service on the (Q66) and cut down on the frustration on the riders on the line, when during Rush Hours we see like at least 3 or 4 Not in Service Q32 buses zoom past Northern until a (Q66) finally comes.

If the Q32 didn't go to manhattan, I would be a liittle more in favor with that idea....

best case scenario, the off peak buses (32's) could probably end around 108th... Flushing, I totally disagree with, too many buses around there as it is.... don't need anymore buses getting bottlenecked along that portion of Northern, just short of Main st (along that ramp), during gamedays... bad enough the 66 itself gotta deal w/ that traffic...

but during the rush, in either case, sorry bro... can't see it...

I understand it's frustrating to see all those OOS buses blowing by, along a corridor that could use more service, but that's not the way to go about it....

I don't know what it is about the 66... seems like buses go MIA at times, worse, they have a tendency to crawl along Northern (the short turns or the QBP bound buses)... CP could stand to throw more runs on the 66, especially around 6-7 pm, both directions.... from flushing, that's around the time I notice lines get wrapped around the corner on Main st... and if you don't find a way to cram onto that bus, you got another like, 15 min wait on your hands - and watch 30 more people pile right behind you as you're waiting...

Few days ago, when I went to Langton Hugh Library (QPL) by walking to 100 St/Northern Blvd, I saw about six Flushing-bound Q66 arrived at Junction Blvd lead by lead!

It was very crazy!!

When I was at 35th Av I believe Q66 used in Astoria, there was one lady who was not happy with Q66 because bus is always late.

^^ I believe that...

I mean, I remember a good while back, I was waiting for the 66 in Flushing...

See 2 consecutive buses disembarking pax at by the last stop... so I'm like, ok, wait a couple mins more, and one of those buses'll turnaround... ~ 5 mins later, another 66 pulls in....

10 mins. after that., that last 66 I saw, was the first bus to do the return trip... what happened to those earlier 2 buses, don't have a clue... Me thinkz both of them sons of gunz went back to the depot, b/c I don't think 66's interline w/ anything (could be wrong though, someone plz confirm?)... But what I do know is that, I ended up waiting almost 1/2 hour.. you know it's bad when you saw 2 QBX1's arrive before 1 Q66....

Result: that bus I got on, instantly crushloaded; about 10 riders had to wait for another bus, to boot.... luckily that day, I was more towards the front of the line, so I ended up gettin a seat....

Slightly off-topic, when (7) was doing weekend G.O at Mets-Willets Point, (7)(S) Bus was crushloaded just like riding on Long Island Bus N6 during RUSH HOUR!

I was wondering can Articulated Bus handled (7)(S) Bus between Mets-Willets Point?

(7) Shuttle bus on artic could operate via Roosevelt Av, Main St, Northern Blvd, 126th St, Shea Rd, Roosevelt Av.

Since i Live on Northern Blvd (this might sound selfish, but a good idea for me), I see a lot of Q32 buses who are done with their runs turn on 81st into Northern and go to Stengel Depot at 126th. How about extending the Q32 after Northern-81 St to Flushing-Main Street via Northern or at least Citi Field? It would add some service on the (Q66) and cut down on the frustration on the riders on the line, when during Rush Hours we see like at least 3 or 4 Not in Service Q32 buses zoom past Northern until a (Q66) finally comes.

well I would rather interline Q32 with Q33 and instead use another bus rte like Q23 and Q45 as those rtes would create a cross but that would make the Q32 a duplicate and u know what happens to those when doomsday occurs

If the Q32 didn't go to manhattan, I would be a liittle more in favor with that idea....

best case scenario, the off peak buses (32's) could probably end around 108th... Flushing, I totally disagree with, too many buses around there as it is.... don't need anymore buses getting bottlenecked along that portion of Northern, just short of Main st (along that ramp), during gamedays... bad enough the 66 itself gotta deal w/ that traffic...

but during the rush, in either case, sorry bro... can't see it...

I understand it's frustrating to see all those OOS buses blowing by, along a corridor that could use more service, but that's not the way to go about it....

I don't know what it is about the 66... seems like buses go MIA at times, worse, they have a tendency to crawl along Northern (the short turns or the QBP bound buses)... CP could stand to throw more runs on the 66, especially around 6-7 pm, both directions.... from flushing, that's around the time I notice lines get wrapped around the corner on Main st... and if you don't find a way to cram onto that bus, you got another like, 15 min wait on your hands - and watch 30 more people pile right behind you as you're waiting...

Forget my suggestion this idea is brilliant as it reduces DH miles

well I would rather interline Q32 with Q33 and instead use another bus rte like Q23 and Q45 as those rtes would create a cross but that would make the Q32 a duplicate and u know what happens to those when doomsday occurs

Why?

well I would rather interline Q32 with Q33....

regardless of the Q32 being an NYCT route & the Q33 being an MTABus route...

PLEASE don't give the MTA any hair-brained ideas...

....although I can't see mid-route interlining ever being implemented in NYC.... that generally works in urban areas that isn't heavily densely populated (see, CTtransit; they do quite a bit of interlining)

Will it be possible to create bus lane on Roosevelt Av between 61st & 83rd Sts with WB lanes from 61st to 83rd St, and EB from 82nd St to 61st Sts and divert traffic to 37th Av?

a bus lane on Roosevelt av?

Roosevelt is barely one lane as it is....

regardless of the Q32 being an NYCT route & the Q33 being an MTABus route...

PLEASE don't give the MTA any hair-brained ideas...

....although I can't see mid-route interlining ever being implemented in NYC.... that generally works in urban areas that isn't heavily densely populated (see, CTtransit; they do quite a bit of interlining)

a bus lane on Roosevelt av?

Roosevelt is barely one lane as it is....

CTtransit their route structure was where most of my ideas came from for LI and NJ but are slightly different.

Archived