Q32 limited stop service

Via Garibaldi 8

You wouldn't be in a car either. In Jackson Heights, the traffic can be terrible.

Basically, you wouldn't be on Roosevelt Avenue at all.

Ya just had to steal my shine, didn't ya !

well, at least someone else realizes this...

It's nothin to take a 1-2 min trek up to Northern (as long as you don't choose any of the 1-way NB streets that any bus route uses), and absolutely fly down it... you know how when you drive, you have certain streets you favor over others... well, Northern Blvd (west) is mine in Queens {Northern Blvd (east), I despise}.... I remember one time when I made it from the 30's to like the 60's, and caught all green's (lights)... of course, this was around 10am, but still...

if you're tryin to get somewhere fast, and your destination isn't along/around Roosevelt, and you actually take Roosevelt, you got to be a fool.....

It's nothin to take a 1-2 min trek up to Northern (as long as you don't choose any of the 1-way NB streets that any bus route uses), and absolutely fly down it... you know how when you drive, you have certain streets you favor over others... well, Northern Blvd (west) is mine in Queens {Northern Blvd (east), I despise}.... I remember one time when I made it from the 30's to like the 60's, and caught all green's (lights)... of course, this was around 10am, but still...

if you're tryin to get somewhere fast, and your destination isn't along/around Roosevelt, and you actually take Roosevelt, you got to be a fool.....

I remember once, I was going to LaGuardia Airport, and I figured that the M60 would get caught up in traffic on the Triborough Bridge, so I decided to take the (E) to the Q33 (the purpose of the trip was to show a friend how to get to LGA to pick up her husband at a later date).

The trip from Penn Station to Jackson Heights took about 20 minutes, but the trip on the Q33 took about 40 minutes. I wasn't really keeping track, but I would say that 25 minutes were spent along Roosevelt Avenue, with another 10 minutes trying to get to Northern Blvd, and another 5 minutes getting to LaGuardia.

With that in mind, I decided to take everybody back on the M60, which flew down Astoria Blvd. It was helped by the fact that there was another M60 in front of us, which allowed us to do skip-stop service along Astoria Blvd, (though there weren't that many people traveling along Astoria Blvd itself. I think we made 2 stops to pick up people and one stop to drop somebody off).

And don't take 37th Avenue either (which is one block north of Roosevelt Av) due to the shops and the traffic they bring there. You're better off taking 34th or 35th Avs to one of the side streets where a bus doesn't run (like 80th St or 86th St).

How is it possible that the Q32 shouldn't get LTD service if there this much traffic and congestion along the route???

Ride it and find out, only way to get your answers! :P

It only has short mileage in Manhattan and it speeds in Queens. It's only in Manhattan till 59th Street really so its not really a big deal. Every route gets stuck in traffic and congestion but that doesnt constitute those routes to have a limited.

How is it possible that the Q32 shouldn't get LTD service if there this much traffic and congestion along the route???

you kinda answered your own question....

same reason I feel B35 limited service should be revoked.... there wouldn't be much of a time savings for the average commuter.... tbh, I think a Q32 LTD would be worse than what we have here on Church....

my question to you is, along what portion of the Q32 do you think should be a LTD?

- the whole route

- everything in manhattan, up to around woodside 61st

- everything in queens, up to queensboro plaza

Despite the fact that the Q32 doesn't have the headways to justify a LTD route, I'm really trying to gauge where you think adding LTD's on it would evade/"zoom past" the (common) standstill traffic that it runs into/deal with, on both ends of the route.....

I'm tellin you now, outside of the handicapped, no one riding within Queens would benefit from taking LTD's, over taking the subway.... you have to give people an incentive to (and an assurance that something will be gained from) wanting to embark upon such a service....

and right now, I'm not seeing much of any....

same reason I feel B35 limited service should be revoked.... there wouldn't be much of a time savings for the average commuter.... tbh, I think a Q32 LTD would be worse than what we have here on Church....

my question to you is, along what portion of the Q32 do you think should be a LTD?

- the whole route

Despite the fact that the Q32 doesn't have the headways to justify a LTD route, I'm really trying to gauge where you think adding a LTD's on it would evade the (common) standstill traffic that it runs into/deal with, on both ends of the route.....

I'm tellin you now, outside of the handicapped, no one riding w/i Queens would benefit from taking LTD's, over taking the subway.... you have to give people an incentive to wanting to embark upon such a service, and right now, I'm not seeing much of any...

(outside of the allure/image of what limited service represents)

If it was like that, that would just be like....3-6 passed stops at most. The only major issue in Queens along the route is really Roosevelt between 82nd and 74th. Making it LTD in Manhattan would be pointless, stops would just be 57th, 50th, 42nd and 34th via 5th Avenue and you got lots of tourists around the area who actually ride the Q32 down.

To make the route LTD down Queens Blvd, thats a terrible idea. That would only leave the Q60 with a transfer to the so-called Q32 LTD (dont even talk about extending the Q60 either). The portion of Queens Blvd the route travels along got lots of elderly peeps up in the area, especially at 40th street. A LTD anywhere in Queens between Jackson Heights and LIC, you are sure to see a ton of people have a bitchfit about the bus bypassing their stops...

I agree that the Q32 doesnt have the proper headways for the route to be justified as a LTD. The route is pretty frequent on its own and in terms of time, the route isnt that long. It's a pretty solid 30 to 45 minutes with or without traffic. I've never been on a Q32 ride that has lasted up to or over an hour.

My only suggestion to him is to actually ride the route to get his answers, because if none of us can explain it to him, then he might as well ride it to and from Queens to find out...

Ride it and find out, only way to get your answers! :P

It only has short mileage in Manhattan and it speeds in Queens. It's only in Manhattan till 59th Street really so its not really a big deal. Every route gets stuck in traffic and congestion but that doesnt constitute those routes to have a limited.

You make a good point, but I haven't done bus fanning in ages. Back then I was a kid and did it just because I liked riding different routes and such. Now I really only take routes that are to my actual needs, although I have used the Q32 on occasion to Penn Station from Midtown. I think I've been near Jackson Heights a few times, when I was meeting some ex co-workers for my farewell dinner and then we took the (7) train. lol The idea just popped in my head one morning as I was walking to the office and noticed an (M4) that was limited. I have thought previously that the (M4) should have some sort of limited stop service too, hence my thoughts about the Q32. I wasn't basing it on anything other than that the route can crawl from my experiences.

- the whole route

Despite the fact that the Q32 doesn't have the headways to justify a LTD route, I'm really trying to gauge where you think adding a LTD's on it would evade the (common) standstill traffic that it runs into/deal with, on both ends of the route.....

I'm tellin you now, outside of the handicapped, no one riding w/i Queens would benefit from taking LTD's, over taking the subway.... you have to give people an incentive to wanting to embark upon such a service, and right now, I'm not seeing much of any...

(outside of the allure/image of what limited service represents)

I haven't thought that much into it. I'm still grappling with whether it needs it or not. The other idea I tossed around is signal priority, but if other buses don't have it, I'm not sure how that would help. My thinking is that unlike the (M1), (M2), (M3) and (M4), the Q32 has its own folks so it doesn't get as much help as the other lines do in terms of being able to move quicker and switch off of stops unless there are two Q32s running together.

Oh, one other thing... To the folks that have used the Q32, around what time was this? This would perhaps shed some insight on why you feel the way you do as opposed to the times that I've ridden it.

I haven't thought that much into it. I'm still grappling with whether it needs it or not. The other idea I tossed around is signal priority, but if other buses don't have it, I'm not sure how that would help. My thinking is that unlike the (M1), (M2), (M3) and (M4), the Q32 has its own folks so it doesn't get as much help as the other lines do in terms of being able to move quicker and switch off of stops unless there are two Q32s running together.

Oh, one other thing... To the folks that have used the Q32, around what time was this? This would perhaps shed some insight on why you feel the way you do as opposed to the times that I've ridden it.

fair question....

the times I've (recently) taken the Q32, was mainly:

1) b/w 1-2 pm... taking the 32 to penn, then to the (1) afterwards, coming back from lunch [when I go to that blimpie's(slash-pizza-place) on Queens plaza]...

(yes, I go all over for lunch; don't just stay in manhattan...)

^^ but I stopped doing that, due to buses gettin too caught up along 5th av, and along 34th st.... it isn't fun when you're sitting in the same spot for 5+ minutes (along 5th av), while inching your way to 34th, 7th, etc....

2) around 7-8pm... when I would either take the [32 to the 62 (to the 46)].... or the [32 to the 53 (to the Q35)].....

(now that I tell all these stories to y'all on here, I realize I am shying away from the subway, coming home)

^^ buses would get caught up b/w the turn it makes onto 59th, all the way to van dam.... they crawl along the queens blvd portion adjacent the subway, and traffic can range from {[being a slow crawl] to [bumper to bumper]} b/w the 60's to the 82nd st sta; before it turns on 81st....

fair question....

the times I've (recently) taken the Q32, was mainly:

1) b/w 12-2 pm... taking the 32 to penn, then to the (1) afterwards, coming back from lunch [when I go to that blimpie's(slash-pizza-place) on Queens plaza]...

(yes, I go all over for lunch; don't just stay in manhattan...)

^^ but I stopped doing that, due to buses gettin too caught up along 5th av, and along 34th st....

2) around 7-8pm... when I would either take the 32 to the 62 (to the 46)....

or the the 32 to the 53 (to the Q35).....

(now that I tell all these stories to y'all on here, I realize I am shying away from the subway, coming home)

^^ buses would get caught up b/w the turn it makes onto 59th, all the way to van dam.... they crawl along the queens blvd portion adjacent the subway, and traffic can range from {[being a slow crawl] to [bumper to bumper]} b/w the 50's to the 82nd st sta; before it turns on 81st....

Interesting... Well you're not the only one that "shies" away from the subway. What I do now is I've been taking the bus to and from Whole Foods or just skipping it all together and walking to one my regular restaurant spots in Grand Central or Bryant Park. As it gets warmer, I hate dealing with the subway more and more. The crowds get larger and the stations get filthier than they already are and it just becomes too much for me, aside from the fact that I don't like being all sweaty from the back and forth up and down the subway stairs. I walk rather quickly so with me usually sprinting about, I can work up a sweat very easily. With the bus, I can basically walk right out of my office building and onto 5th and spot a local bus coming and walk across the street and grab that down one stop to 42nd and 5th and wait for a limited and from there I'll hop on the (M14) if I see one coming, which puts me right in front of Whole Foods. :cool:

Sometimes I'll also venture down to Chelsea to some of my regular restaurants down there if I have time for a long lunch, but Queens Plaza is rather out of the way from lunch isn't it?? :eek:

I mean I never do lunch in another borough unless I was out of the office to meet w/a client or something. I think the furthest outside of the city I've done lunch was out on Long Island once or twice when with a client, which was far from memorable. :P I hope all of their restaurants aren't as bad as the one I ate at out in Hempstead.

But back to the Q32, if it is that bad at that time, wouldn't you think it would be worse during rush hour? I mean the times that you've described in the afternoon at least are the times that I've used the Q32 and a few times during the rush, although usually an (M4) comes first for Penn Station.

The Q32 is fine, even with a limited it still wouldn't be able to mosey out of Manhattan, it runs fine in Queens last I checked

Yeah and what time do you usually use it??

If it was like that, that would just be like....3-6 passed stops at most. The only major issue in Queens along the route is really Roosevelt between 82nd and 74th. Making it LTD in Manhattan would be pointless, stops would just be 57th, 50th, 42nd and 34th via 5th Avenue and you got lots of tourists around the area who actually ride the Q32 down.

To make the route LTD down Queens Blvd, thats a terrible idea. That would only leave the Q60 with a transfer to the so-called Q32 LTD (dont even talk about extending the Q60 either). The portion of Queens Blvd the route travels along got lots of elderly peeps up in the area, especially at 40th street. A LTD anywhere in Queens between Jackson Heights and LIC, you are sure to see a ton of people have a bitchfit about the bus bypassing their stops...

I agree that the Q32 doesnt have the proper headways for the route to be justified as a LTD. The route is pretty frequent on its own and in terms of time, the route isnt that long. It's a pretty solid 30 to 45 minutes with or without traffic. I've never been on a Q32 ride that has lasted up to or over an hour.

My only suggestion to him is to actually ride the route to get his answers, because if none of us can explain it to him, then he might as well ride it to and from Queens to find out...

hence why if u want speed use the subway!!!:cool:

- the whole route

Despite the fact that the Q32 doesn't have the headways to justify a LTD route, I'm really trying to gauge where you think adding LTD's on it would evade/"zoom past" the (common) standstill traffic that it runs into/deal with, on both ends of the route.....

I'm tellin you now, outside of the handicapped, no one riding within Queens would benefit from taking LTD's, over taking the subway.... you have to give people an incentive to (and an assurance that something will be gained from) wanting to embark upon such a service....

and right now, I'm not seeing much of any....

The B35 LTD would only work if converted into a transitway and became another fulton mall but the chances of that happening are hit or miss at this point

Archived