When will the MTA finally expand staten island local service? It has so much potential..

SIR North Shore

The S61 was replaced by S91 service running throughout the day (riders can use the S62 and S66 as local buses).

And, if the layover is long enough, traffic shouldn't be too much of an issue. While it is bad (between the traffic coming from Richmond Avenue southbound, and the traffic coming of the MLK Expressway, it can be a mess), the distance isn't too long, meaning the buses can catch up to the schedule later on Victory Blvd.

And, as if said before, there is a street one block (Clifton Street) south of Victory Blvd where the S93 can layover.

There's no need for a limited service along Victory Boulevard during the daytime outside of rush hours, the S61 is a mall route and during middays the mall doesn't even see much traffic.

As for the S93 to Richmond Avenue I really have no further comments....

and when ever an MNRR or LIRR passenger buys a ticket, they're subsidizing you guys. It's all goig into one pot.

No, they don't. The railroads lose money, whereas all of the bridges make money, so our bridge tolls (as well as those on the BBT, QMT, etc) so they're definitely not subsidizing us.

I don't completely believe the story told by politicians that the VZ Bridge tolls alone subsidize the MNRR and LIRR: I would think that all of the money collected from the bridges and tunnels is pooled together and then redistributed to subsidize the different agencies.

There's no need for a limited service along Victory Boulevard during the daytime outside of rush hours, the S61 is a mall route and during middays the mall doesn't even see much traffic.

The point of the limited would be to speed the trip of people coming to/from the ferry, mainly those traveling along Victory Blvd.

No, they don't. The railroads lose money, whereas all of the bridges make money, so our bridge tolls (as well as those on the BBT, QMT, etc) so they're definitely not subsidizing us.

I don't completely believe the story told by politicians that the VZ Bridge tolls alone subsidize the MNRR and LIRR: I would think that all of the money collected from the bridges and tunnels is pooled together and then redistributed to subsidize the different agencies.

The point of the limited would be to speed the trip of people coming to/from the ferry, mainly those traveling along Victory Blvd.

What we have in Kamen Rider is another one of those I disdain Staten Island types. I see right through his BS and I'm going to call him out on it. I'm basing that on other comments that he's made. I love how these guys have a lack of knowledge about Staten Island to begin with and then they try to made snide remarks like they're better because they're from Brooklyn. LOL I got news for Kamen Rider, I'm from Brooklyn too and there are plenty of shit holes there too, so get off of your high horse.

Yes there is! It's not even about serving the SI Mall primarily. The S61 is a very long route and there's plenty of ridership once it turns off Victory Blvd. As long as a transfer system is established, there's really no reason not to turn the S61 into a limited. Those who want local stops would take the other routes. And the limited stops on Victory are all within walking distance of the local stops in between. Think of it this way also, there's the S62A, S62B (S61) & S62C (S66) running all at the same time during the day but not one of those are limited during the day, which is a waste IMO.

Yes there is! It's not even about serving the SI Mall primarily. The S61 is a very long route and there's plenty of ridership once it turns off Victory Blvd. As long as a transfer system is established, there's really no reason not to turn the S61 into a limited. Those who want local stops would take the other routes. And the limited stops on Victory are all within walking distance of the local stops in between. Think of it this way also, there's the S62A, S62B (S61) & S62C (S66) running all at the same time during the day but not one of those are limited during the day, which is a waste IMO.

S61 a long route? The bus takes between 45-50 minutes to get from the ferry terminal to the mall and vice versa....

If Limited service on the S61 is really necessary outside of rush hours, have the service start early at around 2:30 since that's the general time school kids are out, but to have it run during middays, in my opinion, is a waste.

I'm debating about limited service on weekends for the Victory Boulevard corridor but the S79 should get it first since it has more traffic on weekends (Saturdays to be particular) than any other route.

S61 a long route? The bus takes between 45-50 minutes to get from the ferry terminal to the mall and vice versa....

If Limited service on the S61 is really necessary outside of rush hours, have the service start early at around 2:30 since that's the general time school kids are out, but to have it run during middays, in my opinion, is a waste.

I'm debating about limited service on weekends for the Victory Boulevard corridor but the S79 should get it first since it has more traffic on weekends (Saturdays to be particular) than any other route.

You have to remember that it is 45-50 minutes just to the ferry terminal. That doesn't include the ferry and any other transportation connections that someone may be making. Politicians here on Staten Island complain that folks don't want to visit and it is understandable why. Why would I want to spend almost an hour just in Staten Island alone to get to the Mall when there are other malls around? Increasing limited stop service would not only benefit Staten Islanders that take the local bus, but it would also help to boost business and draw folks to come here to spend money. Staten Island is shunned because it is known to have unreliable and very slow transportation options. Tons of money isn't needed to implement these things. Just adjustments.

Agreed. All of the buses are going to make the same ferry, so what is the point of making 3 busloads of riders sit through all of the local stops (though, to be fair, the locals skip most of the local stops west of Clove Road).

The only reason somebody would be against this would be if there are a significant number of riders coming from the local stops and going to the SI Mall. If that were the case, I would just say to have the S62 be the limited. There is no reason for everybody to have to waste their time.

Like I said, it would actually save them a little bit of money, so even if it isn't really needed, it could/should still be implemented for that purpose alone.

You have to remember that it is 45-50 minutes just to the ferry terminal. That doesn't include the ferry and any other transportation connections that someone may be making. Politicians here on Staten Island complain that folks don't want to visit and it is understandable why. Why would I want to spend almost an hour just in Staten Island alone to get to the Mall when there are other malls around? Increasing limited stop service would not benefit Staten Islanders that take the local bus, but it would also help to boost business and draw folks to come here to spend money. Staten Island is shunned because it is known to have unreliable and very slow transportation options. Tons of money isn't needed to implement these things. Just adjustments.

While I disagree that it would cause a bunch of people to travel to SI to use the SI Mall, I agree that it is needed.

Let's face it, the 30 minute trip on the ferry is already anough to make 90% of customers say f*ck it. A bus ride that is more than 20 minutes will get rid of the other 10%.

But like I said, this would actually save money by having the buses travel faster (more the reason why it should be implemented)

While I disagree that it would cause a bunch of people to use the SI Mall, I agree that it is needed.

Let's face it, the 30 minute trip on the ferry is already anough to make 90% of customers say f*ck it. A bus ride that is more than 20 minutes will get rid of the other 10%.

I mean I don't think that folks are going to come here in droves because limited stop service is given outside of rush hours, BUT it could help entice more folks to come and spend money here. Rapid transit is always a good thing because it improves the community and helps people get around faster. Like me for example... I go to NJ in Short Hills and in Paramus. There's an express bus to the Garden State Plaza and because of that, I don't mind the 45 - 50 minute commute there from the Port Authority. If there was no express bus, I would be much more hesitant to make the trip.

Still, our mall isn't really anything special, though (that is no reason why it shouldn't be implemented, though)

It would probably attract some people from the St. George area, though. Remember: People in general are hesitant to make long trips. Like I said, whenever I take the S44, the majority of the passengers are off after Port Richmond, and I'm sure the time spent getting there plays a factor in whether they decide to go to the mall or not (on the S44, there really isn't a solution, but there is one on the S61).

Still, our mall isn't really anything special, though (that is no reason why it shouldn't be implemented, though)

It would probably attract some people from the St. George area, though. Remember: People in general are hesitant to make long trips. Like I said, whenever I take the S44, the majority of the passengers are off after Port Richmond, and I'm sure the time spent getting there plays a factor in whether they decide to go to the mall or not (on the S44, there really isn't a solution, but there is one on the S61).

Well yeah, I never it said it was the place to go or anything. LOL I mean me personally, I think it is a total waste to go and get luxury jeans here in NYC (anywhere) when I can get the same high end jeans in NJ with no sales tax. Even with the $7.00 or whatever it is to get to and from the Garden State Plaza, I save a ton, not to mention the savings I get using my American Express card with the points and such.

It would probably help some of the people in the St. George more willing to take a job at the SI Mall, which would be good. I'm sure there are people who've decided not to work there because, if nothing else, the bus feels slow. At least the limited stops would give the impression that the trip is shorter.

Do you live in Staten Island or Brooklyn? Anyone who lives on SI knows that the scheduled times according to the MTA and the actual time they take and arrive at bus stop don't add up. The S61, like the S44 is rather unpredictable, they just show up in twos all the time and that's not supposed to happen.

Try riding some of the other local routes besides the S79! The S79 is one of my favorites because it's extremely reliable but not all the routes are run like that. I cut off the South Shore from the map because the only improvement they need is a limited S79 but that's already going to be covered by SBS next year.

Another bonus of having the S91 is that if you live along the route, the odds of catching the ferry that you intended to catch are about 100%. With the local routes, so much can happen along the way that there's always the chance that you can miss the ferry by a minute or two no matter how much time you gave yourself.

In one of the most recent reports by the SI transit task force, which I'll find a link to asap, they mentioned that one of the biggest problems for SI is the lack of off-peak limited service. (which is rather abundant in other boros)

I live in Brooklyn but I commute to Staten Island...hope that answers your question.

The point I'm trying to make is you'd be putting over local bus riders if you decide to have the S91 operate without the S61...and what about the other routes? Why not give the S62 midday service as well? You could have the S62 terminate at CSI whereas the S92 would serve Travis. The S62 would basically only operate to Travis when the S92 Limited isn't running.

I live in Brooklyn but I commute to Staten Island...hope that answers your question.

The point I'm trying to make is you'd be putting over local bus riders if you decide to have the S91 operate without the S61...and what about the other routes? Why not give the S62 midday service as well? You could have the S62 terminate at CSI whereas the S92 would serve Travis. The S62 would basically only operate to Travis when the S92 Limited isn't running.

Cool, I guess some of your opinions would be a little different if you lived out here and had to take the SI local buses daily to middle school, high school, college, work, leisure, etc. It can really be a trip and a half if you don't own a car and that's why some of us Staten Islanders on the forums seem to be the most vocal.. :(

Now, about the S61 becoming a permanent S91. It would not only give people a quicker ride, but there's 2 other local buses you can take on the same street, and lastly the MTA would be saving money by having to run less buses because the limiteds reach the terminals quicker.

The S92 is only needed during the AM and PM rush hour for those 9-5ers, who want a quick ride to/from the city. Just like most of the SI limiteds.

The S91 would work better because it would get more riders than the S92, besides being the SI Mall route, it's the only St. George bus in some of the areas it travels through, and it would also serve as quicker ride for traveling along Victory. The S61 already does not run during rush hours with a few PM exceptions and this would just be extending that. This same set-up works fine other boros (Woodhaven Blvd, Flatbush Av, and B103), so I don't understand how it would be a problem here on Staten Island.

The S61 change wouldn't cost any money: The buses would simply be converted into limited-stop buses. The same couldn't be done for the S62 because the local passengers would be getting a deep cut in frequency.

Cool, I guess some of your opinions would be a little different if you lived out here and had to take the SI local buses daily to middle school, high school, college, work, leisure, etc. It can really be a trip and a half if you don't own a car and that's why some of us Staten Islanders on the forums seem to be the most vocal.. :(

Now, about the S61 becoming a permanent S91. It would not only give people a quicker ride, but there's 2 other local buses you can take on the same street, and lastly the MTA would be saving money by having to run less buses because the limiteds reach the terminals quicker.

The S92 is only needed during the AM and PM rush hour for those 9-5ers, who want a quick ride to/from the city. Just like most of the SI limiteds.

The S91 would work better because it would get more riders than the S92, besides being the SI Mall route, it's the only St. George bus in some of the areas it travels through, and it would also serve as quicker ride for traveling along Victory. The S61 already does not run during rush hours with a few PM exceptions and this would just be extending that. This same set-up works fine other boros (Woodhaven Blvd, Flatbush Av, and B103), so I don't understand how it would be a problem here on Staten Island.

Actually, the S62 gets more riders than the S61.

And this is different from the Q53 and B103 aren't duplicated by any local route. This would be more like the Bx1/Bx2, where one is entirely limited and the other is entirely local.

Archived